DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Email to Apple...

Notorious Z.I.M. 3:58 AM - 13 January, 2006
I just sent this feedback to Apple through their site. I doubt it will do anything, though.

I know that I speak for a large number of fellow DJs out there. I use Rane Serato Scratch Live DJ software when I dj. It supports the MP3 file format. As of right now, it does not support AAC (plain or ITMS). Rane's competitor, Native Instruments Final Scratch, does support a number of file formats, including the AAC format. As someone who has a massive music collection (vinyl, digital and otherwise), I am having a nightmare of a time organizing and using my music to dj. I have to convert songs from AAC to MP3 (which creates a duplicate) so that I can use them. I keep the AAC version for the quality. This severely limits what music I can use immediately for djing and also drastically increases the amount of disk space I need for my music collection (I'm already on an external). Please make whatever codec is necessary available to Rane so that people like myself, who love Apple, iTunes, music and djing can use all of our products and music together. The list of Rane supporters is long and impressive but they all have the same complaint. Please and thank you.
Rebelguy 5:19 AM - 13 January, 2006
Wouldn't this be more of a Rane issue? I would think they have to license the software. By the way, from what I have read Apple doesn't own the AAC format. They merely adopted it for use with their ipods.
DJMark 6:06 AM - 13 January, 2006
I think it's *well* worth mentioning that NI's aupport for formates other than plain-jane MP3 is half-assed at best. In their manual for FS2, they even admit as much, advising users to stick with MP3.

I would much rather have GOOD support for a limited number of file formats rather than half-assed support for a lot.

Also, if you use the LAME MP3 encoder you get very close to the same sound quality as AAC at a given bitrate.
nik39 12:22 PM - 13 January, 2006
Quote:
In their manual for FS2, they even admit as much, advising users to stick with MP3.

Yes... NI suggests to stick to CBR files even, avoid VBR files.