DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DJ-in for free.....

Hassle 12:50 PM - 23 July, 2008
Man, I don't know what to do. Some of my longtime homies are throwin this party at some local club, and they asked me to spin at their gig....for free. The usual 'there's no budget' blah blah, even tho I know they have some leverage. I told them 'no' but I feel kinda bad, cuz they my people ya know? The thing is tho, that I also feel under appreciated and taken for granted. I need to bring my own decks n mixer too, since the set-up in that club is so techno, I need Fantastic Four arms to reach the mixer and turntable. If I am spinnin, there's no half steppin.

I take my Dj-in very seriously and put a lot of time in it and usually do paid gigs. But with these dudes, I am just supposed to show up, no love whatsoever. If I'm not gettin paid (I'm not asking a lot by the way) I need to at least feel some love. And by cancelin, I know they gonna talk behind my back sayin I'm arrogant n stuff.

It sucks, but I need to put work in to get it done, by bringin my own ish, and spinnin for at least 4 hours, so I need compensation.

Everybody been in this situation? How to deal diplomatically here.....
rhythm 28 1:56 PM - 23 July, 2008
Hmmmm sounds like in between a rock and a hard place. I don't think you can win in this situation. If you go, you take all your stuff and spin for free plus they'll expect you to do it all the time. If you don't go, they'll say you're a big-headed prick. Looks like you'll have to choose the lesser of two evils. Are they getting paid? If these guys were really your friends they compensate you someway or another.

Maybe what you should do is offer to go and spin for a half hour to an hour but not bring your stuff.
DJDiablo 2:31 PM - 23 July, 2008
Tell them you have a family obligation and you can't make it. =)

See if you can leverage free food/drinks from the place or maybe ask them to give ya a percentage if they do make cash from the party.

With gas prices these days, I'd want some sort of compensation just to cover expenses and to, at minimum, break even.

If it was a charity event, which I've been ask to DJ for free, that's a different story.

I've been in those situations and it is very tough to decide especially when it's friends.
sixxx 5:04 PM - 23 July, 2008
I wouldn't do it for free. I've turned down many gigs like this cause frankly, they're not worth it... and people like this are not really your friends or they would compensate you.

Just be upfront and be real about it. Fuck all this lying bullshit which is very much what they're doing to you: "there's no budget" <--- If there's no budget then why the fuck are you having a party at a local club?
cesdogg13 5:47 PM - 23 July, 2008
They got $$$, your gonna tell me 10 of those party goers can't go in $20 each for your services($200), com'on now?
Hassle 6:02 PM - 23 July, 2008
Quote:
Just be upfront and be real about it. Fuck all this lying bullshit which is very much what they're doing to you: "there's no budget" <--- If there's no budget then why the fuck are you having a party at a local club?

soooo right. They are not even TRYIN to work something out. Fuck it then...

I am glad yall feelin where I'm comin from on this one, I started feelin like that big-headed prick already.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 6:26 PM - 23 July, 2008
Give them a price and if they try to negiotate you to still do it for free just do like I do and tell them
"I can give you this discounterd price or you can pay me what I normally charge everybody else"
That puts them im there place everytime!
MusicMeister 4:11 PM - 24 July, 2008
If you charge nothing for your services then that's exactly what they think you're worth.

I recommend everyone try to find out what it costs to RENT the gear you bring to a party. Then ask yourself why you're charging LESS.

Hell, I've been tempted to hire one of those $100/hour guys to come, set up, and just use his crap, so I don't have to setup/tear down, and put the wear and tear on my gear!

In short, don't do it. Sure, you can talk with them, explain that you take your craft seriously, and that you value your time and effort more than the 'nothing' they're willing to pay. But in the end, will it really change anything?
sixxx 9:25 PM - 24 July, 2008
If you're charging as much as you've been saying you are MM, you should be doing that already. I mean paying someone to come and set up/tear down all your stuff.
DJ LTIZZZLE 10:32 AM - 25 July, 2008
^^Knew that was coming... LOL..

Look Hassle.. They ain't throwing a party for nothing. There is some money floating around there somewhere. Just say like it was suggested above. Here is my Friend price take it or leave it.. If they don't take it. Then i guess they will be using an Ipod ( No Rhythm 28) LOL
tig ol' bitties 1:22 PM - 25 July, 2008
Only FREEE gig I do is family...my uncle asked me to DJ my cousins college graudation party at the end of August...said he is on a tight budget, but with family I would never charge...thats the only time tho...

UNLESS its a bikini party where there are lots of half naked girls,,,then MAYBE I consider it lol.
sixxx 1:22 PM - 25 July, 2008
lol @ no rhythm28. That dude cracks me up.
djransom 4:59 PM - 25 July, 2008
Quote:
Only FREEE gig I do is family...my uncle asked me to DJ my cousins college graudation party at the end of August...said he is on a tight budget, but with family I would never charge...thats the only time tho...

UNLESS its a bikini party where there are lots of half naked girls,,,then MAYBE I consider it lol.

That's how it should be or you got certain family members that get the family discounted price. Everybody wants a dope DJ for a party, but at a cheap price or even free.
Hassle 5:27 PM - 25 July, 2008
word, bikini parties I would actually lay some cash down to spin at...what happens in the grotto, stays in the grotto.

man, the main organizer dude just inherited like a 100 grand fo real. WTF yo?!!? And yeah, the only free shit I do is family and charity.

Setting up is all good by the way, I don't mind doin that, got everything hooked up to the PA within 30 minutes and I don't really like other people handling my gear.
MusicMeister 10:35 PM - 25 July, 2008
Quote:
If you're charging as much as you've been saying you are MM, you should be doing that already. I mean paying someone to come and set up/tear down all your stuff.

I AM charging that much (and more). I'd post what my highest priced gig is so far but it would just piss a lot of people off. Why? Because it's about 5-6 times what most people charge. And that's no lights, add-ons, etc.

As for why I don't have someone helping out already? The problem is finding someone competent who won't trash my gear. I have a couple people I'm considering though. Found a few kids who want to do some sound engineer work and I'm thinking of having them setup/tear down for me in exchange for letting them use some of my gear for their band to do some recording.

I'm working on my new console though. Hope to have it built shortly and it will make my setup a lot easier.
sixxx 2:59 AM - 26 July, 2008
lol... you make me lol a lot MM. :)
DjRekTek 5:23 AM - 26 July, 2008
Quote:

Agreed...I told a good friend of mine 6 months ago that I would spin at his going away party for nothing (he is being deployed to Iraq)which was my terms. He never asked I just offered. Now if you stuck your foot in your mouth and said something to your "homies" way prior to this party...and yes this happens all the time. Then you might have to back that up. I dont know if that happened, Im just puttin it out there.

Otherwise....I tell all others, business is business! if they cant respect that then tough shit!!!Nobody gave me my equipment......

Hassle... if "homies" are real "homies" then they should show you some respect by offering you some lute. I mean damn, you have to bring your decks and your mixer.

You say that it is at a local club...is the club giving them the spot for free this particular night? I fnot then someone is def gonna be throwin some jack to somebody just like Sixxx mentioned.
dj luis 12:34 PM - 26 July, 2008
maybe i came up late but how can you CANCEL if you said NO in the first place ?

if they're your homies and they're giving you nothing.. my friend... i'd say you need to check your friends list again... don't do it for nothing... you gotta have something to pay at least for the effort of bringing your gear...
DJCalibur 2:23 PM - 26 July, 2008
Quote:

Hassle... if "homies" are real "homies" then they should show you some respect by offering you some lute.

Lute?? Who in the hell would want a medieval guitar as compensation?
VJ Justin Allen 2:56 PM - 26 July, 2008
lmfao
MusicMeister 11:22 PM - 26 July, 2008
Quote:
lol... you make me lol a lot MM. :)

I'm glad you find me so entertaining.... ;-)
DjRekTek 5:05 AM - 27 July, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Hassle... if "homies" are real "homies" then they should show you some respect by offering you some lute.

I meant a mandolin..shit!
razzamataz 12:26 PM - 27 July, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed...I told a good friend of mine 6 months ago that I would spin at his going away party for nothing (he is being deployed to Iraq)which was my terms. He never asked I just offered. Now if you stuck your foot in your mouth and said something to your "homies" way prior to this party...and yes this happens all the time. Then you might have to back that up. I dont know if that happened, Im just puttin it out there.

Otherwise....I tell all others, business is business! if they cant respect that then tough shit!!!Nobody gave me my equipment......

Hassle... if "homies" are real "homies" then they should show you some respect by offering you some lute. I mean damn, you have to bring your decks and your mixer.

You say that it is at a local club...is the club giving them the spot for free this particular night? I fnot then someone is def gonna be throwin some jack to somebody just like Sixxx mentioned.

The events i have done for free have been for family and Youth events(Good PR/Good deed), Cause sometimes its about more than $$$.

I would be curious to see if these guys would help you out in a similar way, would they put themselves out for you?

I have had friends who asked if i could Dj a party for free, i told em 'sure as long as you pick me and my gear up, set it up/ pack it up and get me home!!' they did so i kept my end of the bargain.

If they are just looking to abuse your service i say "It's a Trap!!" soon you will have friends that are closer than these guys trying to take advantage of your talent and kindness. Screw em' just recommend a dj.
sixxx 5:40 PM - 27 July, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I meant a mandolin..shit!

hahahaha
sixxx 5:41 PM - 27 July, 2008
I like this in particular:
Quote:
Nobody gave me my equipment......

I don't know what people think sometimes. As if equipment was free or something. lol
superdjorlando 6:29 PM - 27 July, 2008
Yo Hassle do you know how much it cost if one of your pieces gets damaged I don't think your friends are going to pitch in to get your shhhhhhhh. My friend paid 1000 dollars to a dj and told me he could afford to pay me 150. I told him with all do respect I'm worth more........ and he's My friend.?????????? Look at it like buisness like your friend do.
DjRekTek 3:24 AM - 28 July, 2008
Quote:
Yo Hassle do you know how much it cost if one of your pieces gets damaged I don't think your friends are going to pitch in to get your shhhhhhhh. My friend paid 1000 dollars to a dj and told me he could afford to pay me 150. I told him with all do respect I'm worth more........ and he's My friend.?????????? Look at it like buisness like your friend do.

True on the damaged equipment, I spun a Christmas party for a good friend of my wifes about 3 years ago for a mere $250.00, thats dirt cheap ofr all the rig I bring. Anyway, I ended up bloeing a sub that night. Cost me $300.00 to replace it. Long story short...I ended up charging myself $50.00 to spin. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!

On the deal I am doing for my boy for free I am not going to be punishing my PA.
DJ_STEVE 5:02 AM - 28 July, 2008
Why do so called friends always ask you to dj for cheap or free? Do they know how much equipment cost? Do they know that we buy our music, not limewire it like they do? My cousins friend just called me to dj his party this weekend(my cousin couldn't do it). So I give him a good homie discount price and that mofo still said it was to much. Granted my cousin never charges his friends to dj. Thats probably why my cousin is always djing, and I guess he expect the same from me. HEEELLLL NOOOO!!!!!
DJ LTIZZZLE 5:30 AM - 28 July, 2008
Gas and food are too damn high to not get some paper..
MusicMeister 5:50 PM - 28 July, 2008
Over a year ago I did a store opening as a favor for my fiance who was working there. I had a store manager from another town 50 miles away call me shortly after this to do a backyard party. I figured 'what the hell' and quoted her $300 to cover the 2-3 hours. She told me I was too expensive!

It was at that point that I said 'WTF!?!??' and decided to start raising my rates - RADICALLY.
Sol*los 9:52 PM - 28 July, 2008
I just remembered back in high school the "cool" kids (not the group) asked me to dj the "hot" end of the year party they where throwing. I was young and new and since I knew some of them I was like $100. They where like HELL NO!!! thats too much. I was like well I'm not going to go any lower and since there's 10 ppl throwing this party how can ya'll not come up with $100. They gave me the BS about renting some hall, decorations etc etc... and that this is going to be the party of the year and I should just do it for free. Well I stuck to my guns and didn't do it. That monday afterwards everyone was talking about how crappy the party was and they had a little boombox for music.
sixxx 9:55 PM - 28 July, 2008
Quote:
Over a year ago I did a store opening as a favor for my fiance who was working there. I had a store manager from another town 50 miles away call me shortly after this to do a backyard party. I figured 'what the hell' and quoted her $300 to cover the 2-3 hours. She told me I was too expensive!

It was at that point that I said 'WTF!?!??' and decided to start raising my rates - RADICALLY.

If by Radically you mean, wearing your 70's clothes... then I understand. hahaha
djransom 10:18 PM - 28 July, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

If by Radically you mean, wearing your 70's clothes... then I understand. hahaha

LMAO!!!! People want great service at a cheap price. I've gotten to the price where if they don't like the price then they don't like it. There's ALWAYS going to be someone is who going to do it for cheaper than what you would charge or even for free.
sixxx 10:26 PM - 28 July, 2008
Yeah. I agree. I LOOOOOOVE to get the customers who hired a cheap DJ before they hired me. They always complain about how it wasn't worth it. How he didn't know what he was doing, or something. Always complaints. lol

... I love how they make me look even better without any effort. lol
djransom 10:31 PM - 28 July, 2008
Quote:
Yeah. I agree. I LOOOOOOVE to get the customers who hired a cheap DJ before they hired me. They always complain about how it wasn't worth it. How he didn't know what he was doing, or something. Always complaints. lol

... I love how they make me look even better without any effort. lol

Exactly. I went with my buddy to his wife's friend party and her neighbors had a DJ and this cat was off the wall, word to MJ. Sounded like he had some boombox speakers and didn't blend anything. I was like damn I hope they didn't pay for that. I guess you cop a laptop and some CDJs and you're overnight DJ.
DJ'Que 1:41 AM - 29 July, 2008
Quote:
Man, I don't know what to do. Some of my longtime homies are throwin this party at some local club, and they asked me to spin at their gig....for free. The usual 'there's no budget' blah blah, even tho I know they have some leverage. I told them 'no' but I feel kinda bad, cuz they my people ya know? The thing is tho, that I also feel under appreciated and taken for granted. I need to bring my own decks n mixer too, since the set-up in that club is so techno, I need Fantastic Four arms to reach the mixer and turntable. If I am spinnin, there's no half steppin.

I take my Dj-in very seriously and put a lot of time in it and usually do paid gigs. But with these dudes, I am just supposed to show up, no love whatsoever. If I'm not gettin paid (I'm not asking a lot by the way) I need to at least feel some love. And by cancelin, I know they gonna talk behind my back sayin I'm arrogant n stuff.

It sucks, but I need to put work in to get it done, by bringin my own ish, and spinnin for at least 4 hours, so I need compensation.

Everybody been in this situation? How to deal diplomatically here.....
djing for free what a joke,and long time friends BS,they would all chip in and pay you half of what they would pay another dj,I dont do nothing free for friends thats why I pay to get in their club's if I have to pay mainly its half or buy drinks so if they ask me to spin they pay me half of what i charge.doing it free while they make money means their useing you, and will do it again.
MusicMeister 2:50 PM - 29 July, 2008
I've talked to more than one DJ who lowered his rates to do a wedding or even did something for free. When he showed up he realized that they paid more for the chair covers than they did for him! At one place they paid more the chocolate fountain than they did for the DJ!

Want to know what's a great feeling? Showing up at a wedding and realizing that you're the highest paid vendor there.

Another great feeling? Rocking a great party and realizing that you're getting paid more to do a regular party than most DJ's in your area are getting paid for doing a wedding.

Want an eye opener? Try renting your gear sometime. Want another one? Add up how much money you have invested in your music library alone.
djransom 4:43 PM - 29 July, 2008
Quote:
I've talked to more than one DJ who lowered his rates to do a wedding or even did something for free. When he showed up he realized that they paid more for the chair covers than they did for him! At one place they paid more the chocolate fountain than they did for the DJ!

Want to know what's a great feeling? Showing up at a wedding and realizing that you're the highest paid vendor there.

Another great feeling? Rocking a great party and realizing that you're getting paid more to do a regular party than most DJ's in your area are getting paid for doing a wedding.

Want an eye opener? Try renting your gear sometime. Want another one? Add up how much money you have invested in your music library alone.

Valid points, but here in the Chi NONE of that shit matters. Cats will do ANYTHING to get a gig.
techjitsu 5:50 PM - 29 July, 2008
I know I don't post here a lot, but I gotta get in on this one. My small bit of advice- NOTHING IS FREE. Even my family knows that this profession of mine COSTS MONEY! Don't ASK me to do anything for free. Like one of the earlier posters said, offering to do it for free is your prerogative.

When I first started out, I would do a lot of things for free or if the organizers would pay for the equipment rentals. I started to notice that people would ASSUME that I would always do things for free and would get upset when I gave them a rate quote. So-called friends were the worst. They knew I had to spend loot on the equipment, music, gas, etc- but they expected me to give them a valuable service for free just because we are connected. Did they feed me, clothe me, shelter me, or provide some other comparable service? Nope.

Be real with them. If they are truly your friends, they should understand that they can't expect FREE from a professional. Discounts >MAYBE< but never free....
DJ Dynamite - NJ 7:52 PM - 29 July, 2008
Quote:

Be real with them. If they are truly your friends, they should understand that they can't expect FREE from a professional. Discounts >MAYBE< but never free....

Fuck that, no discounts either. I got a boy that I usually give a discount to because I've known him and his family for years and I do there annual family BBQ every year. He calls me up this year do it and I quoted him half of what my normal fee is. Then I get, you can't do better than that for a loyal customer? Ungrateful Mutha ******s
So now my philosophy is, NO MORE DISCOUNTS!!

Everybody pays full price.

The gas station doesn't give me a discount on my gas and my bill collecters don't give me discounts either!
Kadilac 2:55 AM - 30 July, 2008
I'm in the Navy. Everytime a big event comes up, they as me to DJ for free!!
The Navy Day Ball is a snooty formal gala where all the big wigs will be present and it's gonna be about 6-8 hours. They want me to do it for basically nothing. It sucks because sometimes I agree to do things for major discounts and then the event doesn't happen and I lose money from another gig I could've had. But I can't charge the Navy for a lost deposit becausethey'll Blackball me!
DJ Dynamite - NJ 3:04 AM - 30 July, 2008
Quote:
I'm in the Navy. Everytime a big event comes up, they as me to DJ for free!!
The Navy Day Ball is a snooty formal gala where all the big wigs will be present and it's gonna be about 6-8 hours. They want me to do it for basically nothing. It sucks because sometimes I agree to do things for major discounts and then the event doesn't happen and I lose money from another gig I could've had. But I can't charge the Navy for a lost deposit becausethey'll Blackball me!

The Navy is Government funded isn't it?
Charge full price
sixxx 3:11 AM - 30 July, 2008
Yup. Charge full price. I did gigs for the navy all the time. Still do their Xmas parties... and I always change full price.
Kadilac 3:50 AM - 30 July, 2008
yes and no. We have committee's that raise money for certain events. MWR will pay full price but the Navy Day Ball Committee has been raising money for this event all year. We are a small Command in GA so BIG Navy doesn't allocate the funds for us. I'm sure San Diego & Norfolk don't have this problem.
Kadilac 3:52 AM - 30 July, 2008
If I tried to charge full price, they would question my PRIDE in the Navy and call me a Al-Qaida loving Rebel!!
sixxx 4:24 AM - 30 July, 2008
OIC. Yeah. MWR paid me.
Caramac 1:07 PM - 30 July, 2008
If my immediate family, which is, mum, dad, brother, aunt and two cousins want something it's no questions asked. They can have it.

A couple and I mean like 2/3 friends get this service and they pay me anyway or have done in the past better then other people who don't know me. They get this service everyone else gets charged.

If by some strange reason I get talked into a gig for free or next to nothing its under the pretense I'm not doing anything. If a paid gig or something else comes up that takes my fancy then they've got to find someone last minute.
Crickett 7:31 PM - 30 July, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Valid points, but here in the Chi NONE of that shit matters. Cats will do ANYTHING to get a gig.

+10,000

And promoters know it.
I won't take that shit.

I have started turning down gigs due to the lack of proper "Paper".
But there are still guys who mix for $50 bucks or sometimes nothing.

These guys fit into two categories.

1) Guys who really need the money.
2) Cats who will do anything to get a fucking slot.
They have no job, Still live with mom's @ the age of 28.

Fuck that...I got a real job..Own my own house...
Playing out is my passion not my life.

When I finally retire..I'm gonna light all these fuckers up on the internet!
DJ Dynamite - NJ 7:45 PM - 30 July, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+10,000

And promoters know it.
I won't take that shit.

why wait til you retire, Grow some balls and do it now!!
djransom 7:51 PM - 30 July, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+10,000

And promoters know it.
I won't take that shit.

Agreed. I tripped when a real good DJ buddy of mine told me that one promoter actually pays cats $75 for opening or closing out a party. That's a full tank of gas for my truck and that's it.
Crickett 8:47 PM - 30 July, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+10,000

And promoters know it.
I won't take that shit.

why wait til you retire, Grow some balls and do it now!!

Balls of steel playboy.

My last booking is labor day weekend.
No joke. Been in the works for months.

As soon as the money is in the account...I'll start working on my "Tell all" book.

lol
DJ Dynamite - NJ 10:26 PM - 30 July, 2008
ok, I'll be looking out for it...lol