DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

does anyone else not have a clue how to use ur 57?

dj hes 7:32 PM - 17 July, 2008
(hand raised) I literally have never used, nor do i understand how to use effect, or any of the fancy buttons on the 57. To be honest, I really am clueless! Only thing I have used is the instand doubles when my TT crashed, and I had to spin with 1 tt, and a fellow dj showed me how to set it up.

Just seeing if anyone else is in the same boat as me. I dont even want to learn them is the funny thing, I like mixing like I am with just plain vinyl..
AKIEM 9:11 PM - 17 July, 2008
hmm, I wonder why you didnt go with the TTM56 then?
DJ Prinvale` 9:59 PM - 17 July, 2008
the first month I was scared to venture into customizing the buttons, groups, etc but once you sit down, read and try it...it's pretty damn easy to use.
dj hes 10:14 PM - 17 July, 2008
Quote:
hmm, I wonder why you didnt go with the TTM56 then?

I have a 56 too. I got a 57 for video pretty much the only reason. I actually really love the 56, alot more than the 57, just feels like its made better!
AKIEM 10:35 PM - 17 July, 2008
oh yeah, video
but theres lots of fellas in your boat proly

lots of things about the 57 arnt really intuitive if you ask me.

just takes time
DJ Jonasty 8:57 AM - 19 July, 2008
I haven't figured out how to make the efx sound good yet. Although I'm sure I could, if I took an afternoon.
DJ Prinvale` 9:02 AM - 19 July, 2008
Quote:
I haven't figured out how to make the efx sound good yet. Although I'm sure I could, if I took an afternoon.

doesn't take long AT ALL. load up a standard song you are really familiar with. Select the EFX you want to learn. You will have the settings for the EFX how you want it within 5 - 10 minutes per EFX.

Worth taking an hour or so to learn them.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 12:12 PM - 19 July, 2008
I know that this mixer can do alot more than I use it for but I guess I'm in the same boat. I just bought it for the convenience of not having to hookup and unhook my SSL box. I'm so damn lazy I bought 2 for my different setups...lol
cheeba (the believer) 12:26 PM - 19 July, 2008
rtfm. standard
dj hes 4:02 PM - 21 July, 2008
Quote:
I know that this mixer can do alot more than I use it for but I guess I'm in the same boat. I just bought it for the convenience of not having to hookup and unhook my SSL box. I'm so damn lazy I bought 2 for my different setups...lol

hahaha Im glad Im not the only one... I like it cuz it takes XLR unlike the 56.
dj hes 4:04 PM - 21 July, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

doesn't take long AT ALL. load up a standard song you are really familiar with. Select the EFX you want to learn. You will have the settings for the EFX how you want it within 5 - 10 minutes per EFX.

Worth taking an hour or so to learn them.

I have never used any fx machines ever, I am sure many people use the 57 and some use fx machines? if you have a 57, do you ever need an fx machine also? man, I need to expand my skills.
KMXE 9:03 AM - 22 July, 2008
i dont really use the effects cuz i never used to before. im ok at using the various buttons etc. after about a week im pretty quick when im mixing video. i havent made any custom groups at all, so I mainly use Group 1, 2 and sometimes group 4 when i have loops. of course group 5 when i mix video - but even so im still learning ALL the functions in Group 5
dj hes 3:58 PM - 22 July, 2008
I havent checked youtube much, but I wonder if anyone has a post of like live action use of effects and stuff, like in a club set or something.
djcrxxx 11:25 AM - 29 July, 2008
I'm in the same boat. Had mine for a cuple months and just use it pretty much like a 56. don't use or know how to use effects, ive read the manual a few times but it just goes over my head and i get frustated,lol even though i consider myself to be quite technically knowledgable with electronics and such? A video tutorial would be cool.
cappinkirk 8:53 PM - 29 July, 2008
so you bought a $1500 mixer and you don't know how to use groups?
djcrxxx 10:14 PM - 29 July, 2008
I use the groups except B6 at the moment. I'm a noob with effect's never used them before. I know i'm an idiot...
cappinkirk 10:20 PM - 29 July, 2008
it really implies a lack of effort on your part to be listed in this thread. I think you need to step up your game.
djcrxxx 10:34 PM - 29 July, 2008
Not like i havent spent hours trying to get this shit down. Spose i did give up on effects a bit early, i havent tryed effects for about a month. Think il have a go with it tonight
cappinkirk 10:42 PM - 29 July, 2008
@#$%^'in DO IT!!
cappinkirk 10:43 PM - 29 July, 2008
this is not a game
djcrxxx 11:10 PM - 29 July, 2008
like i havent been trying to fuckin do it already?!?!
cappinkirk 11:20 PM - 29 July, 2008
well the effects pretty much suck except for the delay its just a bunch of filler to compete with the other crap digital dj software...where are you with it so far?
cappinkirk 11:22 PM - 29 July, 2008
do you got this down? propers to nik39 I think

ssl-wiki.help.bootlegs.de
djcrxxx 11:39 PM - 29 July, 2008
Nope that's all new to me.tnx that might do it!
cappinkirk 11:42 PM - 29 July, 2008
why are you still here? DO IT NOW!!
cappinkirk 11:44 PM - 29 July, 2008
& don't come back until you're ready to complain that it doesn't save effects mixer settings well enough!
djcrxxx 11:47 PM - 29 July, 2008
ok im off to go DO IT!!

il be back when ive done DID IT!!
djcrxxx 1:42 AM - 30 July, 2008
yo tnx man cappinkirk i got me some echo's now.WOOT WOOT!!!!

Mad prop's too nik39 too.

just one question on the wet & dry settings,when i use the J2 function to adjust wet & dry settings it cuts sound off? I must be doing sumtn wrong! and if you could tell how to adjust the mix/delay settings the feedback setting wasnt a prob.

I'm kinda DOIN IT!!?

more than i was doin before anyway.

Tnx.
DJ Prinvale` 5:00 AM - 30 July, 2008
Quote:
well the effects pretty much suck except for the delay its just a bunch of filler to compete with the other crap digital dj software...where are you with it so far?

you obviously haven't used them correctly then

Phlanger or is it flanger?
Phaser
Bit Crusher/Desecrator

top notch if you actually take some time to learn them
nik39 7:43 AM - 30 July, 2008
Quote:
just one question on the wet & dry settings,when i use the J2 function to adjust wet & dry settings it cuts sound off?

Push the J1 stick into the mixer (yes, *into* the mixer, down into the mixer) so that the LED lights up, then you can control the parameters with the joystick.
djcrxxx 10:22 AM - 30 July, 2008
tnx nik! i'm learning all the tricks today. lol
cappinkirk 12:52 PM - 30 July, 2008
WOOT WOOT djcrxxx
DJ Dynamite - NJ 1:08 PM - 30 July, 2008
I never really messed with the FX on the 57. I only bought it for convenience, but I think I'm gonna spend today messin with it. Never hurts to have some more tools to do the job :)
dj hes 3:59 PM - 30 July, 2008
woh woh woh...wait a sec, this thread was supposed to be for people whe are dumb enuf to fork out the doe for a 57 and NOT know how to use it, not to learn!!

LOL JK this is good stuff, making me want to even try this stuff...

And damn, that link was off the chain...nice work nik39!
djcrxxx 8:33 AM - 31 July, 2008
Yeah man def worth a bit more time! That nik39 link was hella easy to do. It's just reading the manual i found was a MF!!!
But hey i might even give that another go. Or maybe nik39 got us some more links *hint hint*

lol:)
drb 6:07 PM - 5 August, 2008
echo is the effect i use most.
that wiki thing helped nice. a problem i'm facing is that when i hit the flexfx button the echo is not as smooth/nice sounding as it would be if i just did it manually (hitting b6, selecting the side and turning on the effect). is this just me?
DJSantero 8:41 PM - 5 August, 2008
I use the HP filter and the echoes a lot, and then the others a tiny bit. The auto BPM'd filter sweeps is solid gold for a DJ that likes to cut and do a lot while mixing etc.
djcrxxx 5:59 AM - 8 August, 2008
Can someone please tell me how to switch between effects? Mine is on echo and ive got no idea how to change it.

ive just finished goin over the manual and il be damned if it tells me how?!

but im sure it does.
DJ Prinvale` 1:12 PM - 8 August, 2008
as far as I know the only way is you select it with your mouse/pointer. There's a little down arrow next to the effect name. Just click it and the list will pop up.
djcrxxx 1:57 PM - 8 August, 2008
Hey tnx man,but i don't have the down arrow next to where it says Echo?? i only have the down arrow in the bottom box for the HP Filter.
Konix 3:05 PM - 8 August, 2008
Do you have the latest firmware on the 57 installed? The arrow should be there... i48.photobucket.com
djcrxxx 10:55 PM - 8 August, 2008
tnx guys, ive just upgraded firmware from v1.11 to v3.03!!! I thoght i was safe with the firmware since i 'm on 1.8. this is what ive been missing for the last 3 months!! i'm officially a IDIOT!!!

BIG TNX for all the help!
dj hes 4:39 PM - 11 August, 2008
damn...i think i need to load firmware....lol
ancientyouth 6:25 PM - 16 August, 2008
Quote:
tnx guys, ive just upgraded firmware from v1.11 to v3.03!!! I thoght i was safe with the firmware since i 'm on 1.8. this is what ive been missing for the last 3 months!! i'm officially a IDIOT!!!

BIG TNX for all the help!

dont worry i did the same thing!!!!!!!

AND IF ANYONE DOESNT GET THE EFFECTS YET THERE IS A LINK UP TOP...... GO TO IT ....... IT CHANGED MY LIFE!!!!! HAHA BIG UPS NIK3MF'N9!!!!!!!!
DJ-A 4:33 PM - 5 September, 2008
Quote:
Hey tnx man,but i don't have the down arrow next to where it says Echo?? i only have the down arrow in the bottom box for the HP Filter.

wow! you did a better job at educating me than any sales person... now i feel like my mixer is at least $400 cooler
Ped-R 12:06 PM - 7 September, 2008
O.k I had no problems with effects and filters(found out by playin) but one thing has got me needle dropin.
*****************as from a question I had in a help section************************

Hey there guys/gals just a quick 1 and I'm sure the answer will be easy as. I just got a 57sl and couldn't find the option to allow needle dropping, as it was in the sl1 interface. Have check the setup menu's over and over but cant find anything. At the moment it doesn't matter about the location of the needle it still just plays from the same spot in the track.

cheers, awesome mixer btw..******************************************************

only got the 57 today, whats the deal with the needle drop? fx and band pass don't phase me but needle droppin startin to shit me. what the hell is wrong (somethin to do with group change?)

Oh and thanx Nik had no idea that j1-2 had a 9th feature(dont tell me this is the solution)please feel free to tell me to go to the help section or correct my spelling ;.

cheers lads....
Hidden Driveways 4:09 AM - 10 September, 2008
This is a pretty funny thread. I too bought a 57 and didn't really commit too much time and effort to learn how to use it. I play a lot of non-timecode vinyl, so I just didn't dabble much into it.

But lately I'm messing with it again. I'm not sure if I have the latest firmware loaded up on mine. I searched all around this site and didn't see a firmware link anywhere. Am I missing something?

I just downloaded SL 1.8.1. Now in my effect section I can see the new effects listed, but if I select them they do not kick in. Say I have Echo on and I go in and put the check on the Desecrator (or whatever that is), the check goes to the new effect, but Echo stays on. Any idea what's up with that?
cappinkirk 5:33 PM - 15 September, 2008
you need to hit the deck button to choose the other deck, that switches the effect. I had the same issue. Each effect has an on switch so you have to turn the one off you don't want.
cappinkirk 5:34 PM - 15 September, 2008
each effect has a b6 on/off toggle accessible by the deck 1/2 button if my previous answer doesn't make sense.
Konix 5:36 PM - 15 September, 2008
Make sure you update the firmware on the mixer also, if you don't, you'll see the effects in the list but you won't be able to use them. Go into the setup menu, hardware tab, and click the update button to update the mixer's firmware.
Mr. Goodkat 11:01 AM - 16 September, 2008
dont feel bad, my dj homie has had teh 57 since it came out, and he still hasnt figured out how to use a simple delay, and he uses a efx 1000 for only the simple delay. keeps asking me how to do it, and i point him here, and he's so lazy that he still won't look it up and set it up as nik 39 has shown.

if you havent noticed, it you right click on any of the parameters in the hardware section options come up in all groups, its really easy to customize. its downright pitiful if you haven't used this mixer to its full extent and customized it to your preference.
Hidden Driveways 4:39 PM - 16 September, 2008
Quote:
its downright pitiful if you haven't used this mixer to its full extent and customized it to your preference.

I disagree. The implementation of the effects section, and the whole software control surface area of the 57 for that matter is not intuitive. Nothing is labeled on the mixer. PGR 1 knobs and B buttons mean nothing. The factory presets of the effects are unthoughtfully programmed. You turn on the Echo Hold effect for the first time and it sounds like you just pressed a button that turned your skilled DJ set into a louder version of hell. It feels like you just pressed a button that was put there to intentionally clear a dancefloor and make people stop buying drinks. I'm not surprised at all that users get immediately turned off by the special functions of the 57 and ignore them.

That said, I love my 57. It's just deeply flawed.
dj hes 4:46 PM - 16 September, 2008
I would have to agree, its not super intiative. On the other hand, i would use the echo affect if I could set it up! But I also have never used an fx machine, so I dont really know the logic behind it.

I wouldnt mind the mixer to have a button to push to do like a "dj hes live in the mix" sound bit, can this mixer do this?
nik39 5:49 PM - 16 September, 2008
Quote:
Nothing is labeled on the mixer.

.. b/c it is customizable?

Video functions are not customizable - and there is a map overlay card for VSL.

Quote:

lol.
Mr. Goodkat 12:20 AM - 17 September, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
its downright pitiful if you haven't used this mixer to its full extent and customized it to your preference.

I disagree. The implementation of the effects section, and the whole software control surface area of the 57 for that matter is not intuitive. Nothing is labeled on the mixer. PGR 1 knobs and B buttons mean nothing. The factory presets of the effects are unthoughtfully programmed. You turn on the Echo Hold effect for the first time and it sounds like you just pressed a button that turned your skilled DJ set into a louder version of hell. It feels like you just pressed a button that was put there to intentionally clear a dancefloor and make people stop buying drinks. I'm not surprised at all that users get immediately turned off by the special functions of the 57 and ignore them.

nothing is labeled because its all programmable, what do you want the 57 to come with a bunch of stickers?? If you right click say over the joystick(on my mac i have the right click to be there with 2 fingers on the mousepad), theres about 50 options, theres really no way to customize it.

NIk is a genius at this mixer, and i am definitely not, but either way, its pretty easy and well worth the time.
rollanotherone 1:55 AM - 17 September, 2008
Quote:
You turn on the Echo Hold effect for the first time and it sounds like you just pressed a button that turned your skilled DJ set into a louder version of hell. It feels like you just pressed a button that was put there to intentionally clear a dancefloor and make people stop buying drinks.

Yea, why is that? Even if the levels are turned down to the lowest setting, the sound that comes out the speakers is horrid. ONLY, sometimes though. There are times the echo hold works REALLY well with the song, but other times, its way loud and distorted. Ive been told its because the echo hold sound is pre the amp? And when it comes through the amp, its pushed beyond its limits. What ever that means. I think I understand that, but how can you solve that problem?
djcrxxx 9:01 AM - 17 September, 2008
Konix got some tutorial vids on youtube for high pass filter. Dude seems too REALLY know all the 57 in's an out's!!Once he does a vid for every effect(i think he's workin on them) it'll be a walk in the park lol!! I dont know why Rane hasn't done some tutorial vids?? it wudnt be hard if the effects are SOOOO easy to use. Cause hey not everyone's used effects before.
cappinkirk 3:52 PM - 17 September, 2008
maybe the TTM-57 is already past the "maturity" stage in the product life cycle so they have less incentive to try so hard?
djchrischip 4:27 AM - 30 October, 2008
+1 on konix video tutorials for all the effects

and a +1 on rane seeming to just try less with all their existing products including SL1, TTM 57sl, and even VSL.

there have been so many bugs, and problems with almost every release that well I am a bit turned off as to the whole update/ download the latest version of SSL when they come out.
Hidden Driveways 2:41 PM - 30 October, 2008
Since the announcement of the Ableton partnership, I can understand why the focus of Serato's attention may not be squarely on keeping the existing 57 owners awash in updates and improvements. Serato is still growing and adapting to the evolving market, and this news excuses all of the shortcomings of the control surface/effects.

The fact that Scratch Live and Ableton Live are going to be integrated is just sick. It's all a mystery as to what the fruit of this collaboration is going to be, but it's not too difficult to imagine using the control surface of the 57 to rock Ableton.

I envision using a push button knob to scroll + select + launch clips and scenes in Session view (without the need of Bomes or a weird midi protocall). Using the joysticks to control X/Y dot effects in Live. Using the multiple banks of buttons to launch clips. The potential for awesomeness is just bananas.
Mic Terror 1:03 PM - 31 October, 2008
I don't know how to use the effects either, I guess I just need to play with it. It's different djing now from when I was 16 though. Now I have to work and hear the wife bitch, back then it was lock myself in a room with Biggie and Wu and play all night long (Pause)
dj hes 9:48 PM - 3 November, 2008
I started to play with effects FINALLY! Nothing Fancy, just the normaly echo out transitions I hear on the radio. Im not good at it tho, but at least im learning. It seemed that as I clicked the button on for the effect, the echo started out louder than my current volume.

Also, for the autoloop function (I think its Control T and Control G) Is there a quick way to exit the loop without clicking the exit on the screen?
DJ Dynamite - NJ 12:49 AM - 4 November, 2008
Quote:
I started to play with effects FINALLY! Nothing Fancy, just the normaly echo out transitions I hear on the radio. Im not good at it tho, but at least im learning. It seemed that as I clicked the button on for the effect, the echo started out louder than my current volume.

Also, for the autoloop function (I think its Control T and Control G) Is there a quick way to exit the loop without clicking the exit on the screen?

[ for the left deck
' for the right deck
Also if you hit the ? on the screen it will give you shortcuts for every thing you put your mouse pointer over
dj hes 5:06 PM - 4 November, 2008
Thanks man, Ill check it out!
Mr. Goodkat 10:12 AM - 6 November, 2008
idea for my the set up on my joystick setup
joystick left is 1/8 loop
joystick up is 1/4 loop
joystick right is 1 bar loop
joystick down is bpm match deck(l or r) to echo

stuff like that makes things really easy.