DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Shure N44-7 (Replacement Stylus for Shure M44-7)

DJ K-Swift 2:05 PM - 16 July, 2008
Where is the best place to buy some replacement cartridges for my Shure M44-7's? I see the average price mostly everywhere is about $35 or so........hit me up and let me know if you know of any deals anywhere. I need to have some back-ups just in case the ones I have fail............don't need them now, but good to have back-ups anyway!!!!!

K-Swift
allenbina 5:07 PM - 16 July, 2008
tracked!
alphaquake 5:43 PM - 16 July, 2008
N44Cs are $20 at turntablelab.c0m
DJ K-Swift 5:57 PM - 16 July, 2008
I would rather stick with N44-7 replacments for the Shure M44-7. For this particular reason:

This replacement stylus (N44C) is compatible with both the Shure M44-7 and M44G cartridges. According to Shure, they should be a bit more skip resistant than a normal G or 7 stylus, and from what we have seen, the N44C stylus is also more rugged and less likely to get bent. The trade off is that they do not have the same sound quality as the 447 and 44G stylii and they tend to wear your records a bit more.
DJ K-Swift 5:57 PM - 16 July, 2008
I guess I'll pay the $35 so I can keep the sound quality and not wear my control vinyl out.
Proto J 7:44 PM - 16 July, 2008
yeah, but the n44-c really are more skip resistant... if you ever had a really wobbly table and had to flip the tonearm weight around, the normal n44-7 will bend down so much the plastic of the cartridge will scrape the record, however the n44-c won't do this.

i have serato wax i use for gigs, and since i dj every night, and they're gonna get beat up anyways, i also use the n44-c for gigs, because no skipping is more important to me in a live setting that the lil' extra sound quality and record wear...
DJ Brett B 7:55 PM - 16 July, 2008
Yeah, I never really understood why people care about wearing their CV out. It's not like a rare 12" back in the day that you didn't want to ruin; they are just CV, and if you're like me, you probably have about 6 pairs of extras anyway that are waiting to be used :-P
sixxx 8:03 PM - 16 July, 2008
23 degree angle will solve that problem Proto J.
Proto J 1:46 AM - 17 July, 2008
it'll also burn out your wax way faster, and one side of the groove more than the other...

just never been a fan of angling needles...
DJ LTIZZZLE 3:14 AM - 17 July, 2008
dude get up with TY from AGIPRODJ. YOu can get the shure m447 mounted, for the lolol
sixxx 5:10 AM - 17 July, 2008
Quote:
it'll also burn out your wax way faster, and one side of the groove more than the other...

just never been a fan of angling needles...

lol.... Seriously, the damage is MINIMAL. Don't make me post the link to the infamous thread with video, etc.

:)
DJ LTIZZZLE 6:19 AM - 17 July, 2008
LOL....

45degrees is only way to go.. ain't that right Sixxx LOL
BIG DJ PHAZE 8:16 AM - 17 July, 2008
Straight up, I use the generic shure n-44 replacements from www.matelectronics.com
Only $5.50 or $4.95 if you buy more than 10
direct link
matelectronics.com

Because we use timecode/relative mode these work fine
DJ Brett B 10:12 AM - 17 July, 2008
Quote:
Straight up, I use the generic shure n-44 replacements from www.matelectronics.com
direct link
matelectronics.com

Wow! Don't know if I'd feel totally comfortable using them, but damn! What a steal. Might cop a few of those just to keep in my bag in case of emergency.
nik39 10:26 AM - 17 July, 2008
Quote:
direct link
matelectronics.com

Ortofon needles 5.95... wow!

Are this up to par? Skip resistancy? Durability?

I feel bad not supporting Shure... nowadays they sell less I assume. The last thing I want it them to get bankrupt :-/ Ortofon as the single big cartridge manufacturer. Oh no! Their prices are already insane.
DJ GaFFle 2:31 PM - 17 July, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
direct link
matelectronics.com

Ortofon needles 5.95... wow!

I feel bad not supporting Shure... nowadays they sell less I assume. The last thing I want it them to get bankrupt :-/ Ortofon as the single big cartridge manufacturer. Oh no! Their prices are already insane.

Hot damn! Them joints is CHEAP! They're probably the real thing from some mega-Chinese manufacturer and Shure/Ortofon simply stamps their name on them and raises the price 1000% to the consumer market.

I'm saving that url. I'd experiment on these since the price is so cheap...
DJ Rugged One 2:38 PM - 17 July, 2008
Yeah let a brother know !!! I checked the site and looks up to par to me. Anyone bought it and test it out ???

Also I agree with sixxx, the damage is minimal eventhough I have don't have the carts in 23 degrees angle but they hold up for me. I do have N44C styluses as backups and possibly miight use them for gigs, also Precision uses N44C(Blue tips)stylus with serato cv as well.
BIG DJ PHAZE 4:59 PM - 17 July, 2008
Quote:

I've been using the N-44 Replacement Shures now for about 2 years now, and they are really decent needles, especially for the price, I bought 10 of them, and have only broken one in almost 2 years, so durability is not an issue, sound quality is great (nice big circles in calabration mode), skip resistance is equal to a OEM N-44, however you may find that you will need to change your counterweight settings to a bit heavier than before. I run 2.5 on the counterweight, 3 on the antiskate, and 3 on the height adjustment (1200s). I also use the headshells with the weights (4g)

Mark my words, they are well worth the investment, I still keep a pair of stock N-44s for when I'm playing with regular analog vinyl records, plus I have a pair of trackmasters that I use for ripping. But my main needles are these generics and they work fine.
BIG DJ PHAZE 5:04 PM - 17 July, 2008
BTW, this site has 20 ft mic cords for 3.95, crazy cheap prices on adapters of all sorts, and replacement (old school) projector bulbs for about half of regular retail price.
DJ GaFFle 5:12 PM - 17 July, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

... I run 2.5 on the counterweight, 3 on the antiskate, and 3 on the height adjustment (1200s). I also use the headshells with the weights (4g)...

So, you're actually running 7g of weight to your needles...
nik39 5:16 PM - 17 July, 2008
Ouch... 7g is a lot!
sixxx 7:18 PM - 17 July, 2008
Quote:
LOL....

45degrees is only way to go.. ain't that right Sixxx LOL

Bwahahahahaha! Every time I think of that convo it makes me laugh!
BIG DJ PHAZE 11:16 PM - 17 July, 2008
I run 2.5 on the counterweight, 3 on the antiskate, and 3 on the height adjustment (1200s). I also use the headshells with the weights (4g)

Here's some visuals

i17.photobucket.com

i17.photobucket.com

i17.photobucket.com
Kenny Q 1:33 PM - 26 September, 2008
Kenny Q 5:51 PM - 27 September, 2008
I haven't been able to find the N44Cs anywhere. Do they still make them?
DJ Rugged One 7:41 PM - 27 September, 2008
www.turntablelab.com

TTLab got 'em.
Kenny Q 8:03 PM - 27 September, 2008
Just bought a pair.

Thanks
DJ Grenade 9:54 PM - 27 September, 2008
Radio Shack
www.radioshack.com
Jesus Christ 5:11 PM - 28 September, 2008
$26.95

www.digitalfotoclub.com

Get the real thing.
BIG DJ PHAZE 9:08 PM - 28 September, 2008
Quote:
direct link
matelectronics.com

Just looked at the radio shack version, and it looks the same as the ones above (besides $10.00 more, and buying the actual shures n-44s for timecodes is just a waste of money, the generics work fine, I use em all the time.

Has anybody else tried these yet?
dj shadow from detroit 9:48 PM - 28 September, 2008
generic is not the same.you get what you pay for.
shiestO! 1:32 PM - 29 September, 2008
^^agree w/ shadow. plus i play actual vinyl still not 100% control records by any means.
Mr. Goodkat 9:56 PM - 5 October, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
direct link
matelectronics.com

Just looked at the radio shack version, and it looks the same as the ones above (besides $10.00 more, and buying the actual shures n-44s for timecodes is just a waste of money, the generics work fine, I use em all the time.

im gonna give em a shot, because the n447 are way to expensive to use to control records. I thought about going cds since my needles and CR's get beat up so much.
dj shadow from detroit 1:54 AM - 6 October, 2008
wow take care of your stuff bro.i have control records from over a year ago.and shure stylus should last you 3-6 months atleast.

cds get beat up as bad as vinyl if you dont take care of them :)
Jesus Christ 5:52 AM - 6 October, 2008
Quote:
wow take care of your stuff bro.i have control records from over a year ago.and shure stylus should last you 3-6 months atleast.

+1

I don't use CD's. I don't think that you will get anything near the quality of the real thing when it comes down to stylus'. You get what you pay for... or else a lot of people would be using Gemini turntables.
dj shadow from detroit 1:47 PM - 6 October, 2008
lol!
Mr. Goodkat 11:30 PM - 6 October, 2008
Quote:

most of my gigs have a dj booth not shielded from peeps around the booth, i gig 4-6 times a week, and i'm prolly playing anywhere from 30-50 songs an hour. you have to change stuff much quicker to get tight tracking. but i am a bit sloppy with my gear, but its hard to go more than a month with control vinyl.

the diff. with cds is replacements are 10c a piece, not 10$, and with cds there is no stylus change. the stylus on the 447s are very easy to bend and ruin...
dj shadow from detroit 8:02 PM - 10 October, 2008
your choice bro cds or vinyl. i prefer vinyl. i dj alot also.all you have to do when using vinyl is keep your control records clean.use a microfiber cloth to clean vinyl.and clean your stylus like every hour or so.and you will be good.i havent purchased stylus ( shure 44-7 ) in over 6 months.i always keep back ups.but i never have any problems.

as for how many songs you can mix in a hour.whats that have to do with keeping your stuff clean?
clean your stuff more often then mix that many songs. lol :)

i hope this helps.
Mr. Goodkat 10:50 PM - 10 October, 2008
Quote:
as for how many songs you can mix in a hour.whats that have to do with keeping your stuff clean?

i hope this helps.

wear on the styluses and records, some people mix house where you may be playing 10 records in an hour with minimal back cueing and/or scratching

make sense?
dj shadow from detroit 11:17 PM - 10 October, 2008
yea i makes since i mix fast also !

but keep it clean !lol!
BIG DJ PHAZE 8:21 AM - 11 October, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
direct link
matelectronics.com

You won't regret it, I bout 10 of em they are nearly identical to the OEM Shures, and they don't even sound that bad for analog vinyls too. I wouldn't steer you wrong, you'll see :)

im gonna give em a shot, because the n447 are way to expensive to use to control records. I thought about going cds since my needles and CR's get beat up so much.
BIG DJ PHAZE 8:23 AM - 11 October, 2008
^
Damn we need an edit button on this forum.

GoodKat
You won't regret it, I bout 10 of em they are nearly identical to the OEM Shures, and they don't even sound that bad for analog vinyls too. I wouldn't steer you wrong, you'll see :)
Liquidice 9:14 PM - 11 October, 2008
N44-C's work fine i bought 4 for 30 bills.. they came really quick shipped out of PA. They don't have the little plastic styli protectors so either leave em on your tonearms or get a case for your carts/styli. They work great been spinning them non stop for a few weeks now
BIG DJ PHAZE 11:56 AM - 12 October, 2008
Can I get an AMEN?
Kenny Q 12:04 PM - 15 October, 2008
I thought I was buying an N44-c bu ended up getting some knockoff.
Do they still make the N77-C?
ninjagaijin 11:39 AM - 26 March, 2015
Quote:
yeah, but the n44-c really are more skip resistant... if you ever had a really wobbly table and had to flip the tonearm weight around, the normal n44-7 will bend down so much the plastic of the cartridge will scrape the record, however the n44-c won't do this.

i have serato wax i use for gigs, and since i dj every night, and they're gonna get beat up anyways, i also use the n44-c for gigs, because no skipping is more important to me in a live setting that the lil' extra sound quality and record wear...

if you scratch a lot you'll be going through controls regularly anyway. Playing the same record more than about 200 times is when wear sets in. Which could be 5-6 sets if you mix a fair few tunes on 45rpm side A. I tend to use side B first and resort to side A (and occasional internal switch) once it wears down.

As for the N44-C's, they sound worthwhile purchasing a pair for my own gigs. I usually take 447's or 44G's but 'sound quality' isn't that important for Serato! You don't need frequency range above 16khz for Serato - the bass and mid is more important (the 1-2khz control tone goes quite low when slowing down/platter spin down or super low pitch, or while scratching slowly). The only time fidelity/frequency range/tone matters in a cart, is if you are not doing a 100% exclusively digital mix and are going to use 'real' vinyl as well. In that case, you want the vinyl to not sound like utter poop compared to your digital files xD
ninjagaijin 11:41 AM - 26 March, 2015
Quote:
your choice bro cds or vinyl. i prefer vinyl. i dj alot also.all you have to do when using vinyl is keep your control records clean.use a microfiber cloth to clean vinyl.and clean your stylus like every hour or so.and you will be good.i havent purchased stylus ( shure 44-7 ) in over 6 months.i always keep back ups.but i never have any problems.

i hope this helps.

Last set I played was 44 tracks in 51 minutes.
ninjagaijin 11:43 AM - 26 March, 2015
Quote:
I run 2.5 on the counterweight, 3 on the antiskate, and 3 on the height adjustment (1200s). I also use the headshells with the weights (4g)

Here's some visuals

i17.photobucket.com

i17.photobucket.com

i17.photobucket.com

dont matter 7g is a LOT. Recommended is something like 1.5 - 3... normally around 2g. Don't forget to add your CARTRIDGE AND HEADSHELL WEIGHT TOO! It's even more wear on your vinyl.
ninjagaijin 11:44 AM - 26 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Here's some visuals

i17.photobucket.com

i17.photobucket.com

i17.photobucket.com

dont matter 7g is a LOT. Recommended is something like 1.5 - 3... normally around 2g. Don't forget to add your CARTRIDGE AND HEADSHELL WEIGHT TOO! It's even more wear on your vinyl.

Meant to say just stick to the cartridge specifications, adding more headshell additional weight must be factored in. Don't worry about the cartridge weight with those calculations, just mentioning in case you want to imagine how much total weight/force is going against your 'real' vinyl... which will be chomped to crap with long enough playing with that much weight. If you're just using that for a deck just for scratching stuff, it's plausible but if you care about your records, not a good idea
ninjagaijin 11:45 AM - 26 March, 2015
Quote:
Can I get an AMEN?

You mean choppage
ninjagaijin 11:45 AM - 26 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

+1

I don't use CD's. I don't think that you will get anything near the quality of the real thing when it comes down to stylus'. You get what you pay for... or else a lot of people would be using Gemini turntables.

If you want to hate yourself try a Gemini mixer sometime
DJ Tracktion 11:24 PM - 27 November, 2016
DJ Matty Stiles 4:06 PM - 28 November, 2016
^ Pretty Shure that is a generic brand my man (see what I did there)?

But yeah, it's not uncommon to come across generic brands. I personally stay away from them. Would rather spend the extra cash on something I know will work.

Where y'all buying your replacement styli in 2016?? time for me to stock up
dj_soo 7:56 AM - 29 November, 2016
has the price of the n44-7s gone up for anyone else? $50 a tip here in Canada.

Also, stay away from the generics. Absolute garbage. Lasted maybe 2 weeks of djing for me the last time I tried them.
DJ Matty Stiles 10:11 AM - 29 November, 2016
$45 in Australia. More or less the same over the last couple years.

I usually wait for a sale online and just order in bulk.
dj_soo 11:05 AM - 29 November, 2016
just a couple years ago, they were half the price
DJ Matty Stiles 11:09 AM - 29 November, 2016
Might have something to do with the rise of controllers?

Also, didnt i hear something about Shure not selling the 'pre-assembled' M-447s anymore? The ones that ship with the technics headshell? So like now you have to assemble them yourself?

Might be a sign of shure slowing production. Less turnover means higher prices as everyone knows.
DJ Matty Stiles 11:17 AM - 29 November, 2016
Also, slightly off topic, but props to Ortofon for staying in the game. It mustn't be easy these days.

Although I beleive a LOT of their production is marketing hype (so many differeny colours and editions). I mean, how many high output cartidges do you need? Have one high end, one medium and one low end, maybe a special one for recording and be done with it. Maybe this is my college marxism kicking in but oh well, I guess money is the end game right.

First they had the Q-Berts as the highest output, then the special serato ones, but weren't the digitracks supposed to be the ultimate DVS solution a few years earlier? Don't even get me started on golds. A younger, more niaeve version of me wouldve wanted every single edition, like a kid in a candy store. They do look cool tho, espescially the concordes.

Sorry guys lets stay on topic with the M-447's
DJ Matty Stiles 12:20 PM - 29 November, 2016
For the record, $35 at AGIProDJ and Rock and Soul, $39 at turntable lab.

I recall the going rate being $30 a couple of years ago. Do I stand corrected?

Also, can someone confirm if they've stopped producing pre-assembled cartridge and headshells? I'm actually tempted to email Shure.
monchi 2:14 PM - 29 November, 2016
DJ Barticus 3:10 AM - 30 November, 2016

you had me scared for half an hour (will i have to go ortaphon, will i need to get CDJs?), then i noticed it said "M44-7-H" that is the version pre-mounted in a technics headshell. they probably had to stop offering those when technics stopped making 1200s. i think they still make the regular M44-7 Cartridge and N44-7 Stylus
DJ Matty Stiles 6:55 AM - 30 November, 2016

Ahh thanks fam!

You can still get the premounted ones off Amazon. Still in stock! So don't worry people. Plus its easy to assemble.

Yes you can still get the cartridge all you need to do is get your own headshell. I got some fancy silver ortofon ones :) www.pickupnaalden.com
Lou Dog 9:43 PM - 1 December, 2016
With the recent price increase I finally went with those mcm electronics knockoffs someone posted above.

Think it was $35 for two stylus shipped. Shipping is like $8 bucks so it makes sense to buy more but just went with two to test. Shipped very quick also

Only tested with CVs not real vinyl but so far they've been fine. They fit
tight into the shure cartridges. Tracking has been perfect and the scopes look good. They might have a little more weight to them than real 447s. They also physically look a little different if that matters to you

Still think ill keep them at home until I test them further but I'm cool with them so far. I think for 4 needles it would of been like $55. Which is pretty good with the fucking outrageous price increase.

For anyone thinking about getting these
Laz219 5:53 AM - 4 December, 2016
I've actually heard surprisingly good things about the knock-off ones, although I can't verify how much experience the people that have mentioned them actually have.

I use the shure whitelabels and definitely feel like the cost has gone up $5-10 per stylii in recent years.
I actually just chalked it up to have to switch shops due to the one I used to go to closing down.
lumas13 10:18 PM - 5 December, 2016
I purchased 4 white label stylus for $82 in 2014 from amazon
DJ Tracktion 11:44 PM - 12 December, 2016
Bought 2 Shure replacements, $35 ea. Bought one generic off Ebay for shits and giggles $15, haven't tried it yet.
DJ Matty Stiles 5:25 AM - 14 December, 2016
Where? How much was shipping?
ninjagaijin 2:11 AM - 16 December, 2016
Australia 447 + 44G tips are now $45 when they were $38 a couple of months ago
Laz219 10:31 PM - 16 December, 2016
.... I needed a new stylus for my whitelabels the other day, ended up putting off going to get it.
At the time they were $46. I just looked again and the price has been bumped to $95.
Pretty sure I bought the carts for around $120
psalmon 11:12 AM - 18 December, 2016
THis might be a stupid question but is this stylus:

www.amazon.co.uk

Compatible to the shure m44-7 cartridge?
DJ Matty Stiles 12:10 PM - 18 December, 2016
^ I don't know, but why on earth with you? You will never beat the real deal. Truly a turntablists dream. The long, springy cantilever is a blessing for scratching. Better than the shorter, stubbier ortofons IMO. Though they do have a purpose - I was teaching a class the other day and the kids broke my Shures. From then on all classes had the concordes. Harder to break.
DJ Matty Stiles 12:16 PM - 18 December, 2016
By the way, psalmon, it looks like you might be able to slide that in (thats what she said), but don't quote me on that, maybe contact the manufacturer?
psalmon 7:25 PM - 19 December, 2016
It says that those Ones are for the n44c is that compatible with the n44-7?
DJ Matty Stiles 3:20 PM - 20 December, 2016
Honestly I don't know what the n44c looks like. I'm sorry I can't tell you with the info I have in my head.

But Man, why he a cheapskate? Get the real deal. They last long, even with heavy settings.
djransom 8:06 PM - 21 December, 2016
Quote:
.... I needed a new stylus for my whitelabels the other day, ended up putting off going to get it.
At the time they were $46. I just looked again and the price has been bumped to $95.
Pretty sure I bought the carts for around $120

Whitelabel replacements are just pricey. I need one and dreading getting it since my M44-7s still work. Cheapest I've seen is $55 for a stylus. I'll probably hit up GC Friday and grab a replacement.
Laz219 10:36 PM - 21 December, 2016
I'm just stunned by the fact they become more than 200% of the price overnight basically.
If it was a $5-10 jump I'd think nothing of it, but from $45 to $95 instantly?
djransom 10:54 PM - 21 December, 2016
Yeah that's nuts
ninjagaijin 5:18 AM - 23 January, 2017
So in one month it went from $38 to $45, now in another month (Dec 2016-Jan 2017) it's now $69 average for stores for N447 styli. Insane increase. So it's actually cheaper for me to buy the (better sounding) Ortofon spherical styli now, $59 a replacement. The cost was the main reason I went 447 and 44Gs to begin with.

I saw a store here with 'RRP $73' for Shure 447.. and $45-50 RRP for 44G stylus. Why the 44G cheaper?? I'm talking AUD here so subtract 20-25% for the equivalent US price.

Thinking will save up for some nightclub II-e mk2s - why the hell aren't there any OM's for those ones??
Laz219 7:40 AM - 23 January, 2017
Yeah, I still haven't even bothered to replace my broken stylii, just got out my CDJs to play with for a while.
ninjagaijin 8:25 AM - 23 January, 2017
:( sad state of affairs
DJ Matty Stiles 12:29 PM - 24 January, 2017
Quote:
Ortofon spherical styli now

which ones?

youre talking about storeDJ yeah?
Mr. Goodkat 4:51 AM - 25 January, 2017
they're 33$ with free shipping if you buy 2 (over 49$)

www.amazon.com

seems fair
Mr. Goodkat 4:53 AM - 25 January, 2017
guess you in australia, guess i can pay for a trip to oz with a boatload of m44-7s :)
ninjagaijin 9:24 AM - 25 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Ortofon spherical styli now

which ones?

youre talking about storeDJ yeah?

Yeah, StoreDJ, DJ City, Kosmic, Derringers, Factory Sound and others - found one single ebay listing for Belfield Music with $45 single price but that ended 2x days ago, had no $ to buy and their web store already updated to $68 - Ortofon styli around $59 from most places

Quote:
guess you in australia, guess i can pay for a trip to oz with a boatload of m44-7s :)

Pretty much!!

Quote:
they're 33$ with free shipping if you buy 2 (over 49$)

www.amazon.com

seems fair

$74.10 USD with postage to Australia, still a bit of saving, thanks for heads up will consider for my next styli replacements. The cheapest I found so far is $110 for two from Factory Sound factorysound.com - will probably pay the extra $10 to save time and possible damage in postage (and easier return to close proximity physical store if any issues).

$99 AUD for pink scratch OM www.crossfader.com.au with replacement stylus and case

Figure might as well go back to one of the only two elliptical Ortofon DJ carts easily available atm, Nightclub II-e mk2 www.crossfader.com.au $200 AUD for single concorde (no OM variety)