Off-topic Discussion

That which does not fit elsewhere. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Why the f*ck do I keep blowing these amps?!?

iRockCrowds 9:48 PM - 13 July, 2008
've had 2 of them blow within 2 months in the middle of gigs . Most people claim that these amps are rock solid, and when I called Behringer for ANOTHER warranty service they were surprised. I dunno what I'm doing to cause them to blow. I watch my levels, never letting them get to the red. Both times they blew it was only one channel, the amp gets VERY VERY hot, and you can smell them burning. WTF could be causing this?
soon-2-be-ex-FS2user 10:01 PM - 13 July, 2008
Quote:
've had 2 of them blow within 2 months in the middle of gigs . Most people claim that these amps are rock solid, and when I called Behringer for ANOTHER warranty service they were surprised. I dunno what I'm doing to cause them to blow. I watch my levels, never letting them get to the red. Both times they blew it was only one channel, the amp gets VERY VERY hot, and you can smell them burning. WTF could be causing this?

to does helpings, pruvide sums detalis omhs whatts n guage wire
DJ Michael Basic 10:03 PM - 13 July, 2008
Are they ventilated properly? Do you have fans blowing on them? A lot of amps suck cool air into the front and blow hot air out the back...I know a lot of people put a fan on the back of amps, which actually stifles their breathing and can cause damage.
iRockCrowds 10:10 PM - 13 July, 2008
its a behringer ep2500. Forgot to say that. No fan was blowing on them.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 10:33 PM - 13 July, 2008
IMO, all Berhinger equipment is crap. Spend your money on QSC or Crown and you'll be in good shape. All QSC amps come with 6 year warranty. Find some noob to sell your Berhingers to and pick up some quality amps. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!
DJMark 2:29 AM - 14 July, 2008
Quote:
've had 2 of them blow within 2 months in the middle of gigs . Most people claim that these amps are rock solid, and when I called Behringer

Stop, there's your answer.

Even if the speaker(s) connected to the failing amplifier had some kind of a problem that stressed the amp, or there was maybe an intermittent short in the speaker wires/connectors, OR even if it was internally caked in dust in a badly-ventilated rack and overheating, any half-decent modern amplifier should engage protective circuitry rather than self-destructing.

Behringer basically rips off the designs of other companies, and creates half-assed knock-offs....using the cheapest parts possible. The results speak for themselves.
iRockCrowds 3:13 AM - 14 July, 2008
so you think the cultprit might be the speaker wires? Someone else brought that up.

ps.

Honestly guys if you read the reviews of the ep2500 on other forums and such the verdict has been that these are rock solid amps. While most of their other stuff is crap the amps are pretty legit.
DJMark 3:32 AM - 14 July, 2008
Quote:
so you think the cultprit might be the speaker wires? Someone else brought that up.

No, because any half-decent modern amp should NOT be self-destructing...even if there was some kind of severe fault (like an intermittent short) in the load. Partly, because you're left wondering (as you are now) what the hell's going on. You want to see a red light or something, not smoke.

If that Behringer amp is what I think it is, they ripped off the circuitry from one of the low-end QSC-series amps...and then "designed cost out of it".

I have seen everything from intermittent shorts (often inside connectors, stray wire-strands and such) to overheating crossover components and voice-coils cause amps to go into protection (or self-destruction, if they're crap). Hard to do more than speculate, without more information or looking at/listening to things in person.

sixxx 7:45 AM - 14 July, 2008
Yeah. That brand is garbage. Any good amp would shut itself off to protect itself.

At any rate, check how the amp is wired to the speakers. Some amps don't let you go lower than 8ohms.
DJ Unique 7:59 AM - 14 July, 2008
Quote:
Yeah. That brand is garbage. Any good amp would shut itself off to protect itself.

At any rate, check how the amp is wired to the speakers. Some amps don't let you go lower than 8ohms.

I don't trust anything by Behringer either.
I've used and trusted QSC & Crown amps.

How many speakers were connected on each side of your amp.
Which speakers were they?
According to their website that amp can push 2ohm loads.
My advice would be to check all your cables.
iRockCrowds 2:01 PM - 14 July, 2008
I only had 2 JRX115s hooked up stereo to the amp. How do I check my cables?
Dj_KaGeN 5:56 PM - 15 July, 2008
if it's the wires: visually inspect them for cuts, heavy denting, splits, and open up the connectors at the ends and see if it is possible that the metal is touching the 'other' side anywhere.

after a visual inspection, get a volt meter or digital multi-meter.

set the meter to continuity: touching the 2 ends of the meter should make a tone. [shorts in the wire will make a tone] check the positive to negative.

And if all else fails, buy new speaker cables.

but honestly.. Behringer is the 95% the issue.
DJ Sniffles 6:00 PM - 15 July, 2008
because you dj so bad
cappinkirk 2:03 PM - 16 July, 2008
are they full of dust? maybe you should vacuum them out (take them apart first)
iRockCrowds 2:32 PM - 16 July, 2008
^^^ these amps were both less than 3 months old when they blew :(

Not dusty at all...
DJMark 7:02 PM - 16 July, 2008
The only thing I'd add to Kagen's advice about checking for shorts: if you're currently using 1/4-inch (headphone-looking) connectors on the speaker wires....assuming the amp and speakers give you some other choice (whether it's speakon connectors, banana jacks, or even a terminal strip for bare wires), use whatever alternative there is instead of the 1/4-inch connectors.

1/4-inch connectors/jacks are really bad choices for amps/speakers...more prone to hidden shorts than other types, poor connection characteristics for high-level signals...and worst of all during the time they're being plugged in or disconnected they usually present a dead short as the "tip" touches the internal "ring" contact momentarily.

iRockCrowds 8:06 PM - 16 July, 2008
I was using 1/4inch to xlr to go from my mixer to the amp and speakons to the speakers....
J rock 8:14 PM - 16 July, 2008
trade them in for anouther brand. they broke twice in two months!!!! stop defending a company that has you bent over.
DJ Overpour 8:26 PM - 16 July, 2008
its cause it says Behringer on them....
FunkyRob 10:14 PM - 16 July, 2008
Back in May a QSC amp that I had for like 10 years started spewing out crazy smoke when I turned it on.

I was using barewire to 1/4" cable connected to another 1/4" to 1/4" (connected by a coupler) cable because my speakers were farther away than normal. Oh, and the 1/4" plugs were soldered by me the previous day.

I had never done that before and it apparently pissed the QSC amp off.

The next day I bought a new Crown amp and longer speaker cables.

I don't know if it was my (lacking) soldering skills, when I used the coupler to connect to male jacks (maybe I switched a postive to negative), or if it was just times up for the amp.

I'm leaning toward issues with the cables.

I say even if it does say Behringer on it and it's under warranty, get it fixed and replace your cables.
latindj 12:10 AM - 17 July, 2008
they should change the name from Behringer to Buttreamer....
sixxx 12:14 AM - 17 July, 2008
Introducing the new amps from Behringer.... Smoke Series. :P
Dj_KaGeN 12:21 AM - 17 July, 2008
Bumringer
DJ Sniffles 12:45 AM - 17 July, 2008
LOL did you see the thread in dj discussion aka land of the wavies where they are trying to justify the new behringer mixer as a quality mixer that can compete with higher end products?
sixxx 12:48 AM - 17 July, 2008
lol No way. lol
DJ Overpour 4:43 AM - 17 July, 2008
Quote:
Introducing the new amps from Behringer.... Smoke Series. :P

lololol
DJMark 5:16 AM - 17 July, 2008
Quote:
LOL did you see the thread in dj discussion aka land of the wavies where they are trying to justify the new behringer mixer as a quality mixer that can compete with higher end products?

Yes, and very frankly that makes me a little suspicious of their motives.

I still remember how for years, Behringer used to spam the usenet rec.audio.pro list with staged "question"/"answer" postings. It was both obnoxious and frequent. That sort of thing *could* be happening now.

Lowest-common-denominator company, run by lowest-common-denominator people. They should have been run out of business many years ago.
DjRekTek 7:03 AM - 17 July, 2008
Quote:

Damn...now I am a waive! That truly hurts....
DjRekTek 7:07 AM - 17 July, 2008
If it (DDM4000) takes a shit on me then it takes a shit, but until it does I wont change my impression of its performance and features thus far.

I replaced my DJM-3000 with it, so I have a half decent mixer if I need one.

However, if I do buy another mixer it will be a 57! Just gotta save some loot....
Logisticalstyles 1:56 PM - 17 July, 2008
I seriously don't get it. I don't work for Behringer. I just own and have used a lot of thier products and have only had one thing go wrong with them. I understand it's considered the bargain brand. I love the sound of my Truth studio monitors. I used a pair in a studio I worked in for a couple of years with no problems. I use the little XYNX mixer in my home studio now and it serves it's purpose. I've been using the DJX700 mixer every weekend for over a year at my bar gig where I have to transport it back and forth every weekend. The crossfader went out on it once(I scratch a lot), and it only cost 10 to replace. Yes the effects do suck, but I don't use effects. I think it's a matter of you get what you pay for. I will say that if I had half the problems you guys had with Behringer products I would feel the same way as you guys. Maybe I've just been lucky so far. I do plan on upgrading my DJing mixer. I just haven't found one really fits my budget or needs.

Getting back on the subject of amps... I'd reccomend a QSC amp if you plan on replacing the Behringer. I've had the same QSC1400 since 1995, and it runs every day for at least 8 hours monday through thursday, and on the weekends I push it pretty hard for an additional 7 hours with not problems what so ever.
Dj_KaGeN 3:04 PM - 17 July, 2008
I really do not want to divert too far from amps, but you just praised a mixer [DJX700]that I FUCKIN hate. I rarely use that word, unless something is utter shit. And to read that you use it every weekend, well I only feel sorry for those on the other side of your speakers that are getting that fucked-off sound quality. I'm only left to think that you have NEVER thought about using anything of higher quality and have settled on bargain road. I did a mixtape recorded from that fuckin mixer, it sounds like hell in a side by side comparison from an Allen n Heath or Rane mixer, you sir are the one that DOESN'T GET IT. And yes, the effects are remember by number, crap, the up faders aren't accurate, at 80% up it is the equivalent to the sound at 100%. The knobs were shitty feeling... I played on it for an hour... I took my own mixer so as to NEVER use it again.
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:23 PM - 17 July, 2008
Ouch
Caramac 3:44 PM - 17 July, 2008
Lol. I had to go back up the post to see who posted that.

Kagen. You're normally pretty calm you must really hate that mixer. Lol.
latindj 4:15 PM - 17 July, 2008
behringer = poomark = gemini = stanton = poopoo
skinnyguy 7:17 PM - 17 July, 2008
hmm...there's a "you-dj-so-bad" joke in here somewhere...
Logisticalstyles 7:29 PM - 17 July, 2008
Sorry, I've used more expensive mixers, and I know what works for me. I use other equipment as well, and I don't go running out to change up based on internet peer pressure. So say what you say. I really appreciate the fact that you DJ so great you know what my sound system sounds like without having even heard me or my system. It can't be that bad if they've kept me and my system for over a year and pay a lot for both. I've been DJing for many years and I know what works for me. So while YOU MAY GET a hard on from repeating what I already stated I really do hope you GET OVER IT. It's my fuckin opinion. I guess you GOT IT so much that you didn't even need to read the end of my post where I said I plan on upgrading my DJ mixer.
FunkyRob 7:30 PM - 17 July, 2008
Hey, I like my Gemini & Numark mixers.

I dropped a brand new Gemini PS-626X on my garage floor as I was preparing to put it in a coffin. Waist height too. The corner got a bent and the headphone jack got rattled loose.

I re-screwed the heaphone jack and unbent the mixer corner with pliers. Hooked it up and it worked like a charm. Only $99, by the way. I just checked GC's websight and it went up to $109.95
J rock 7:33 PM - 17 July, 2008
i guess if you don't drink the good stuff you don't know what your missing.
Dj_KaGeN 7:39 PM - 17 July, 2008
a chain is as strong as its weakest link.

facts are facts.

Logic, I really don't give a rats ass, and this in my opinion also. A strong opinion based on real life experience, and irrefutable evidence that the mixer you speak is sub par to the standards I have become accustomed to. Therefore, I took a stand and I decided never to ever spin on that mixer if I can avoid it. If I can bring better equipment, and sounds and my overall performance will be better, I benefit and so does anyone in ear shot.

My only hope is that you truly realize what a POS it is when you upgrade.

/end of discussion
DJMark 8:52 PM - 18 July, 2008
Quote:
I was using barewire to 1/4" cable connected to another 1/4" to 1/4" (connected by a coupler) cable because my speakers were farther away than normal. Oh, and the 1/4" plugs were soldered by me the previous day.

1/4-inch plugs on speaker lines is bad enough, but adding in 1/4-inch couplers to extend the speaker lines is *begging* for trouble.

The contacts inside most 1/4-inch couplers (like those sold at Radio Shack) are not capable of handling high power. What's adequate for "line level" is not adequate at all for the much higher voltages/current being pushed between an amp and a speaker.
FunkyRob 6:58 AM - 22 July, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

1/4-inch plugs on speaker lines is bad enough, but adding in 1/4-inch couplers to extend the speaker lines is *begging* for trouble.

The contacts inside most 1/4-inch couplers (like those sold at Radio Shack) are not capable of handling high power. What's adequate for "line level" is not adequate at all for the much higher voltages/current being pushed between an amp and a speaker.

I kinda figured that when my QSC became a smoke machine.

Radio Shack, how'd you guess?

It's Something I definitely won't be doing again.