Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

How do you feel about VJ's trading video's?

Code:E 12:00 AM - 7 February, 2013
My 1st reaction: WTF dude fuck off
2nd: Ummmm.... maybe i could get some cool video's i dont already have
3rd: this would never work not enough space on dropbox
4th: NO I feel good knowing I'm supporting a good video provider (Xtendamix)
5th: well I am being fucked by living in canada and having a limited choice of suppliers
6th: No i still dont feel right about it (smash get on expanding into Canada so I dont need to reconsider)

I mean the idea of 2 dj's meeting up at someones house and telling each other about awesome tracks (and maybe sharing a couple via thumb drive), I dont see anything wrong with that. But it not legal either. I know Xtendamix also digitally watermarks there tracks so if i ever did share my copies they would be able to track them back to me and i would loose my right to use there service.

I have no intention on outing this guy, but I'm not going to share with him either.

farm9.staticflickr.com
phatbob 12:11 AM - 7 February, 2013
Just ignore the PM. That's what I intend to do.

I expect he'll get short shrift from the vast majority of people on this forum, who value the services they pay good money for.
DJ DisGrace 12:20 AM - 7 February, 2013
Quote:

haha I've got 23GB on dropbox....

Sharing personal edits is one thing, dumping months of subscriptions back and forth is another. (nm)
djpuma_gemini 3:05 AM - 7 February, 2013
Share personal edits I do from time to time.
You want an edit from such and such pool.
Sorry, maybe you should join that pool.
Code:E 5:48 AM - 7 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Sharing personal edits is one thing, dumping months of subscriptions back and forth is another. (nm)

Excatly
Niro 9:12 AM - 7 February, 2013
I trade videos all day. What you want I got, really not into the super kinky stuff or bi videos.

Thanks
djnak 7:57 PM - 7 February, 2013
Quote:

I think my dropbox is 100GB lol

And +1 for the personal edits
DJ DisGrace 8:21 PM - 7 February, 2013
Quote:
I think my dropbox is 100GB lol

Quote:
haha I've got 23GB free on dropbox....

fixed
James T 10:36 PM - 7 February, 2013
Quote:

6th: No i still dont feel right about it (smash get on expanding into Canada so I dont need to reconsider)

Code:E - Not sure what u mean by Smash expanding to Canada but if you mean Smashvision a.k.a. VJ Pro, I have been with them here in Canada for 2 Years now along with Xtendamix. It's pretty much all I need

VJ James T
DJ DisGrace 10:37 PM - 7 February, 2013
Quote:
I have been with them here in Canada for 2 Years now

not for much longer now lol
James T 11:45 PM - 7 February, 2013
Confused DJ DisGrace... What do u mean???
DJ DisGrace 11:52 PM - 7 February, 2013
Quote:
Confused DJ DisGrace... What do u mean???

It's supposed to be restricted to US only, but you just announced on a public forum that you're Canadian and have a membership.
James T 11:53 PM - 7 February, 2013
Dual Citizenship
Code:E 5:19 AM - 8 February, 2013
Quote:
Code:E - Not sure what u mean by Smash expanding to Canada but if you mean Smashvision a.k.a. VJ Pro, I have been with them here in Canada for 2 Years now along with Xtendamix. It's pretty much all I need

VJ James T

FYI. If you let them know that they will remove you. And if you try to sign up new as a Canadian to VJ pro they will deny you. they have me many times.
Quote:
Dual Citizenship

Not living in the US? to legal to use the music.
tomatoslice 5:50 AM - 8 February, 2013
Quote:
Dual Citizenship

dual citizenship, my ass.

all that matters is residence.
it's not suppose to be distro'ed to the US.
tomatoslice 5:55 AM - 8 February, 2013
oh wait...sry.
thought you were saying u were in US and had Xtenda.

either way citizenship has nothing to do with where the videos go.
DouggyFresh 7:58 AM - 15 February, 2013
Not sure I would want to join a Canadian record pool that's for Canadian use only. I might get tired of getting Nickelback, Theory of a Deadman, Deadmau5 and Justin Beiber songs...

lol (I know there's all kinds of music on there)
Joshua Carl 7:02 PM - 15 February, 2013
Quote:
Not sure I would want to join a Canadian record pool that's for Canadian use only. I might get tired of getting Nickelback, Theory of a Deadman, Deadmau5 and Justin Beiber songs...

lol (I know there's all kinds of music on there)

HA! ^^^
Joshua Carl 7:20 PM - 15 February, 2013
it sucks... I hope the pools will find more threatening ways to thwart mass trading

theres a few bubbles of guys in new england that basically all share a drive.
I like competition, ya know makes you not get cozy and keeps your grind on.

but its pretty rediculous now that enough entire video libraries have circulated that
you can literally have the base content over-night.

and as an editor it take the wind out your sails, thats why alot of us arent pumping out crazy edits anymore... its just gonna get jacked and shared on an epic level.
even worse then that, its gonna get jacked and resold by someone else for $50 a month

theres zero integrity & ethics among certain cliques.
but thats always been the DJ game
DouggyFresh 7:18 AM - 16 February, 2013
Quote:
it sucks... I hope the pools will find more threatening ways to thwart mass trading

theres a few bubbles of guys in new england that basically all share a drive.
I like competition, ya know makes you not get cozy and keeps your grind on.

but its pretty rediculous now that enough entire video libraries have circulated that
you can literally have the base content over-night.

and as an editor it take the wind out your sails, thats why alot of us arent pumping out crazy edits anymore... its just gonna get jacked and shared on an epic level.
even worse then that, its gonna get jacked and resold by someone else for $50 a month

theres zero integrity & ethics among certain cliques.
but thats always been the DJ game

Let's say you got a drive with 30,000 videos on it (or songs). Even if it were split up by genre, how many combinations of songs exist to play in a night? How many forgotten hits are on that drive? You could take 100 DJ's, same 30,000 videos, give them a few days with it, and only a small % will be able to perform a top notch show. The rest will be lost Sure they will have a lot of music for requests, but can they really play for a crowd?

Music & videos are tools... Sometimes less is more - you could have a set of videos you really know well, power mix and do a super job, or you could have such a wide library there's not 3,000 hours to watch them all and decide what songs/videos work the best. You listen to a DJ who's been doing it full-time or mostly full time for 10, 15, 20, 30 years and you know what I mean. I've been doing it for 7 years professionally, and I'm 34, and there's still songs in so many genres I've forgotten about.

When I started, my friend who was a DJ for about 15 years hooked me up with some music. I was really bad back then, but we basically had the same music. One day he was DJing and his laptop died (internal hard drive music). I let him use mine, which has a 80% subset of what he had, organized differently. He still blew away the crowd and it was that moment I realized that less is better than more in terms of DJing well.

You can have 12GB of videos, 20GB of music, and still not be able to rock a crowd. Seriously, it happens all the time.

I remember back before I was DJing, a regular guy (non-DJ) had a DVD-R mp3 collection(one of those 200-250 CD/DVD booklets), 500+ GB of every album made from the 60's until the late 90's he had collected from multiple people, putting them together, organizing them. That's 200-250 DVD's (figure 800-1000 songs per DVD)... Organized in Excel spreadsheets by artist, album & genre. He didn't even have any hip hop, rap, new pop music. Just older music he liked. Entire albums of everything. Some he ripped, some he traded. But a giant library of music. (fyi I don't have this library!)

But again, less is more in a lot of cases. Nothing worse than trying to decide which of 100,000 songs to play next...
DouggyFresh 7:19 AM - 16 February, 2013
Quote:
You can have 12GB of videos, 20GB of music, and still not be able to rock a crowd. Seriously, it happens all the time.

I meant 12 TB and 20TB!!! lol
Code:E 6:59 PM - 16 February, 2013
I see what josh is saying and also douggy. I have 1000's of videos i will never play. But someone else might.

If i was to share my "stock" videos, so no funky edits just original videos no other DJ would be able to play them the same way as me. Someone else would find tracks i neglect and vice versa.

Now my serato create thats a whole different ball game i would never share that. That is me as a DJ sharing it with someone would be like giving away my soul.
Maskrider 7:06 AM - 18 February, 2013
Sharing something that you took time to build.....No way....lol
Taipanic 8:06 PM - 18 February, 2013
Sure, many of the people sharing drives will not know the music and don't really know how to rock the crowd, but the problem is that that many of them are out there putting on crappy shows and getting paid. All you need to DJ today on a regular basis is a lot of ego, 1000 Friends on Facebook, and a shared hard drive - no talent required. The DJ talent pool is the worst it has ever been and will continue it's downward spiral until there will be no more DJ jobs - because everybody will be a DJ! There is no more "paying of dues" The barback from 6 months ago is now headlining gigs on South Beach. Back in the day, it would take you a year just to build up a semi-decent collection on vinyl, in part because; shock! you had to pay for every song you got! Getting classics required serious digging, sometimes taking years to find certain 12" singles. Obviously going back to those days is impossible, but the more sharing that goes on, the more low-hanging fruit will be taking the gigs of the people who are enabling them.