Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Numark NS6 & Serato Dj

dj marvelous1 4:19 AM - 30 January, 2013
so serato is releasing Serato Dj for free with the Numark NS6 in the Spring of 2013...soooo i need to get this straight. if i bought the NS6 today, will i still get Serato Dj for free come spring?? OR should i wait till spring to buy the NS6? how is this gonna work? please help...thanks
phatbob 4:28 AM - 30 January, 2013
If you buy now you will get the upgrade for free when it launches.
dj lashes 5:24 AM - 30 January, 2013
Buy/Got... your ns6 before, now or later its all the same when SDJ is unleashed on the NS6 you can get it freeeeeeeee
dj marvelous1 8:37 PM - 30 January, 2013
Awesome! thanks guys for the promt response.
itsdjrocket 1:46 AM - 14 February, 2013
Im pumped as well. Any idea on a date. Eager to try it out. Hope it includes a way to contr video effects without using laptop mouse pad
phatbob 1:57 AM - 14 February, 2013
Quote:
Im pumped as well. Any idea on a date. Eager to try it out. Hope it includes a way to contr video effects without using laptop mouse pad

You can control all aspects of video in Serato DJ with any secondary midi controller, no problem.
itsdjrocket 2:15 AM - 14 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

You can control all aspects of video in Serato DJ with any secondary midi controller, no problem.

Awesomenesssss... thanks for the reply. Im new to video dj so im eager to experiment. With it.... im like 5 year with a new toy.
DJ Oasys 2:55 AM - 19 February, 2013
You can use Serato DJ on NS6 !
itsdjrocket 3:03 AM - 19 February, 2013
Yessss I got the email earlier today. On my way home to download. Cant wait. Will express my feedback in a bit.
DJ Oasys 3:32 AM - 19 February, 2013
So far so good. However, sampler can only be triggered using the keyboard short cut :(
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:40 AM - 19 February, 2013
Quote:
So far so good. However, sampler can only be triggered using the keyboard short cut :(

We may be adding this feature in, similar to how it worked in ITCH. Also, you can use a MIDI controller for that now too :)
DJ Oasys 3:59 AM - 19 February, 2013
Thanks. I thought I missed a GUI button to trigger it.
itsdjrocket 4:05 AM - 19 February, 2013
i wish i had more time but monday is "gf night". @Logan D are you talking about the sp-6 sampler??? i played with the video a bit. i like how it has an "auto" button on the video effects. i found it neat..... my first smile was the lay out. its so much better. i very happy so far. i don't see myself using traktor or virtual dj any time soon. and speaking about midi's what are you guys using?? im looking into getting one. the only "button" i want to touch one my mac is the power buttin at the start and end of my nights.
weeggyy 5:03 AM - 19 February, 2013
Does anyone encounter audio cutting out when assigning effects on a playing deck, using A/B button while the effects is on, particularly HPF and LPF??
dj lashes 6:06 AM - 19 February, 2013
Quote:

was just thinking the same thing but i seem to use my keyboard more as the buttons are easier to press ns6 sometime needs a real hard push
dj lashes 6:29 AM - 19 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

was just thinking the same thing but i seem to use my keyboard more as the buttons are easier to press ns6 sometime needs a real hard push

humm and it seems like the SP6 has to be open to use (you have to be able to see it on screen) ??
DJ Oasys 6:29 AM - 19 February, 2013
+1
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 6:53 AM - 19 February, 2013
Quote:
humm and it seems like the SP6 has to be open to use (you have to be able to see it on screen) ??

Hey dj lashes, you shouldn't have to have the Sample Player open to trigger samples. Are you sure that's what is happening? If so could you please start a help thread so we can check it out. Cheers.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 6:54 AM - 19 February, 2013
Quote:
@Logan D are you talking about the sp-6 sampler???

Yes. In ITCH you could toggle 'Hardware Trigger Mode' to trigger the samples. We'll possibly do something similar with a Serato DJ update.
acemc 11:07 AM - 19 February, 2013
FX section is extremely buggy.
The fx still work even though you have switched the unit off.
I also get audio glitches when selecting effects. I upped the latency - had no effect at all.
I also somehow managed to kill all audio output by pressing the master fx a & b buttons.
I had to reboot to get any audio playing through the master again.
The only fx I used to use (breaker & tremolo) have been taken out, so I probably wont use the fx anyway. But this is gonna definitely catch someone off guard.
I absolutely love the 2-deck view. Big thumbs up for that!!
wadup 12:51 PM - 19 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Hey dj lashes, you shouldn't have to have the Sample Player open to trigger samples. Are you sure that's what is happening? If so could you please start a help thread so we can check it out. Cheers.

This bug has been noted since serato dj was launch.....I thought u guys was aware of this already
acemc 1:55 PM - 19 February, 2013
".....I thought u guys was aware of this already"
Serato DJ has only become available for NS6 users today.
acemc 2:09 PM - 19 February, 2013
Sorry, I see now that was meant for Logan D.
dj lashes 4:18 PM - 19 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Sir Logan pls "are you sure thats what is happening"....!!!
let see:SP6 open hit ZXCVBN all work fine
:SP6 Closed hit ZXCVBN all not working

am sure ? YES
Dj Twigz 305 7:47 PM - 19 February, 2013
I am experiencing the same sp6 issue. Samples will only play if the sp6 button is selected.
dj res-q 12:32 AM - 20 February, 2013
i'm having the same problem with my sampler.It only triggers it i have it showing on the screen
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 4:39 AM - 20 February, 2013
Thanks guys, I've logged this and I'll make sure it gets fixed :)

Please note that this doesn't occur when triggering from your DJ controller or via MIDI.
dj lashes 5:25 AM - 20 February, 2013
Quote:
Thanks guys, I've logged this and I'll make sure it gets fixed :)

Please note that this doesn't occur when triggering from your DJ controller or via MIDI.

thx, and what did you guys do to the jog wheel when you push it to move from crates to tracks it now opens file - history - prepare .......etc which is not very useful compered to how much times we would jump from crates to tracks and back again ...
dj lashes 5:26 AM - 20 February, 2013
Quote:
Please note that this doesn't occur when triggering from your DJ controller.

so can i use my ns6 to trigger the samples? like in itch
acemc 12:40 PM - 20 February, 2013
I also noticed the adjust button no longer works correctly either.
It pitch bends & adjusts together which makes it totally unusable for on the fly adjustments.
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:44 PM - 20 February, 2013
wow reading all the NS6 Posts does not look good for these ITCH to SDJ Upgrades... How can they fuckup so much? did they not sit there with an NS6 with itch and one with SDJ and press every button to check they all did the exact same things!!!! Jesus! Maybe i'm not looking foward to the VCI-380 On SDJ anymore! If they don't get these things correct from the get go once ALL controllers are on SDJ its going tobe a nightmare to get stuff fixed.
acemc 12:57 PM - 20 February, 2013
My biggest concern at the moment, is the decks muting randomly with fx.
I'm surprised no-one else has experienced this yet.
wellz 3:51 PM - 20 February, 2013
the other issue that I am seeing is that when you double-press the load button while you have a track playing on either deck, it doesn't create the instant doubles like it does in itch.
dj res-q 3:58 PM - 20 February, 2013
Quote:
the other issue that I am seeing is that when you double-press the load button while you have a track playing on either deck, it doesn't create the instant doubles like it does in itch.

Same problem with me too.
dj lashes 4:34 PM - 20 February, 2013
Quote:
wow reading all the NS6 Posts does not look good for these ITCH to SDJ Upgrades... How can they fuckup so much? did they not sit there with an NS6 with itch and one with SDJ and press every button to check they all did the exact same things!!!! Jesus! Maybe i'm not looking foward to the VCI-380 On SDJ anymore! If they don't get these things correct from the get go once ALL controllers are on SDJ its going tobe a nightmare to get stuff fixed.

for sure it seems that they over looked some things but all in all SDJ feels alot better then itch when it is all working right its gonna be so cool.

Quote:
My biggest concern at the moment, is the decks muting randomly with fx.
I'm surprised no-one else has experienced this yet.

your not alone i experienced something like that not muting but but a drop in the deck level.

Quote:

somewhere here sure i seen that it a known bug to be fix..
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 10:04 PM - 20 February, 2013
Quote:
I also noticed the adjust button no longer works correctly either.
It pitch bends & adjusts together which makes it totally unusable for on the fly adjustments.

I wasn't aware of this, thanks for reporting. I've logged this and will make sure it gets fixed.
acemc 10:37 PM - 20 February, 2013
Quote:

Why must it be a "double press"?
If i just load the same track on another deck instant doubles works perfectly.
Dj MacMillz 11:07 PM - 20 February, 2013
Quote:

Why must it be a "double press"?
If i just load the same track on another deck instant doubles works perfectly.

In Itch, a double press of the load track will instant double the track, even if it's turned off in the settings.
acemc 11:48 PM - 20 February, 2013
So even if your browser is on a different track, double press load & it's there?
Wow, I didn't know that, it's actually very cool. Big time saving feature.
Damn, I've been doing it the hard way all this time.
Ok, Team-S.... please fix.
almacl 8:10 PM - 21 February, 2013
Hi, got free update to Serato DJ for the NS6 yesterday. Have not had much time to play around with it yet, but have noticed the FX select switch no longer selects the effects! Is this correct, or have I missed something?? Thanks
acemc 8:53 PM - 21 February, 2013
Haha, if all else fails........ read the manual.
I did the exact same thing after I downloaded SDJ.
You must press "shift" to select fx. It sucks I know!
almacl 9:39 PM - 21 February, 2013
Quote:
Haha, if all else fails........ read the manual.
I did the exact same thing after I downloaded SDJ.
You must press "shift" to select fx. It sucks I know!

Thanks acemc! Manuals and me not best friends :)
itsdjrocket 3:35 AM - 22 February, 2013
i was about to ask the same exact question. about the fx selector. press "shift" heard.
Spinalshift 3:53 AM - 22 February, 2013
Dear Serato: Please do more beta testing before you put out an update. Sounds like there is a lot of issues you could have easily cleared up with a proper beta test. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who would gladly sign up for a beta testing program.
DJ Kio 12:15 PM - 22 February, 2013
acemc, which manual would that be? I figured out the shift to select FX's by myself cuz I could not find it in the SDJ manual. On the Numark site there is only an NS6 manual that explains about NS6 and ITCH. An NS6 and SDJ manual would certainly be appreciated.
bluefoot 12:19 PM - 22 February, 2013
serato.com

right hand side of page, lots of manuals as pdf.

BTW - does anyone know if we can use midi assign to change functions on our main controller? I had a breif go last night but couldnt seem to change functions, only add an extra controller and map features on that.
Dj MacMillz 5:29 PM - 22 February, 2013
You won't be able to map the main controller, you can however midi map a secondary controller.
itsdjrocket 5:31 PM - 22 February, 2013
Looks like im getting a akai lpd8. Little thing is so bad ass.
bluefoot 5:53 PM - 22 February, 2013
ok. i'll have to drag my own lpd-8 out of it's dust again then.

s'all good.
bluefoot 7:49 AM - 28 February, 2013
Out of interest - many of you used to moan about the fx on Itch.

Who finds serato DJ better and what is your fav effect?
acemc 7:33 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
acemc, which manual would that be? I figured out the shift to select FX's by myself cuz I could not find it in the SDJ manual. On the Numark site there is only an NS6 manual that explains about NS6 and ITCH. An NS6 and SDJ manual would certainly be appreciated.

It's in the NS6 quick start manual that comes with the SDJ download
acemc 8:27 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:

To be honest, I find the overall sound quality in SDJ much better than Itch.
I thought (hoped actually) we would be able to map our controllers to our own liking, instead of being locked down to how Serato thinks our controller should function. I was also hoping to be able to map the slicer feature, but alas - no slicer for NS6 users.
As far as the FX go, the only effect I use in SDJ now is the flanger. It is certainly better quality than the one in Itch, itch had a very "digital" sound. Other than that, I find the effects in SDJ are simply mediocre. There aren't any effects that I feel would really add to my mix. Nothing exciting at all. They also seem a bit too fiddly to get the sound "just right". I really miss the "braker" effect from itch, as well as the auto deck change when the cue buttons are pressed. Sadly my excitement/expectation of SDJ for my NS6 was way higher than what was released. I hold hopes that in the not too distant future Serato will release an update that will bring some exciting & groundbreaking features to ALL SDJ users.
haze324 9:55 PM - 28 February, 2013
I normally use Delay, Reverb, Flanger, Filters on my DJM-800. Comparing these with Itch and now with SDJ ---- Delay sounds GREAT. I think it sounds better than SSL's, Itch's and Traktor's delay by far. The filters also sound great being able to adjust the ressonance more than in Itch. Haven't played much with flanger and reverb much. Also the "echo out" when using the delay effect is MUCH better than Itch or SSL's.
acemc 9:59 PM - 28 February, 2013
Whenever I use Echo (on it's own though) it sounds very distorted.
Any chance you can verify? Perhaps it's just on my setup.
djslim1 4:32 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

To be honest, I find the overall sound quality in SDJ much better than Itch.
I thought (hoped actually) we would be able to map our controllers to our own liking, instead of being locked down to how Serato thinks our controller should function. I was also hoping to be able to map the slicer feature, but alas - no slicer for NS6 users.
As far as the FX go, the only effect I use in SDJ now is the flanger. It is certainly better quality than the one in Itch, itch had a very "digital" sound. Other than that, I find the effects in SDJ are simply mediocre. There aren't any effects that I feel would really add to my mix. Nothing exciting at all. They also seem a bit too fiddly to get the sound "just right". I really miss the "braker" effect from itch, as well as the auto deck change when the cue buttons are pressed. Sadly my excitement/expectation of SDJ for my NS6 was way higher than what was released. I hold hopes that in the not too distant future Serato will release an update that will bring some exciting & groundbreaking features to ALL SDJ users.

There is a breaker effect in Serato DJ as well =, its in the free wolf pack effect download on the serato website
Pete Input 11:46 AM - 23 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Please note that this doesn't occur when triggering from your DJ controller.

so can i use my ns6 to trigger the samples? like in itch

What's the situation on this? Does it should work or not?
I got a friend who is using NS6 and SDJ (1.7.2.) and the cue-buttons (with SHIFT) don't work like in ITCH.
Only options are keyboard shortcuts or SP6 open and with the mouse?
blackavenger 12:48 PM - 23 December, 2014
My guess is they are hoping people get either an SP1, Neon, or AFX to supplement their outdated controllers. Honestly, the Neon is pretty slick for SP-6, and the AFX has those conductive pots for EFX which are dope! So a $300 investment, and the NS6 is just as capable, if not moreso, than any of SeratoDJ native controllers.

It's all about generating more revenue....I highly doubt we'll see more development on ITCH controllers.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 1:09 AM - 22 January, 2015
Quote:
It's all about generating more revenue....I highly doubt we'll see more development on ITCH controllers.

It's not quuuuite like that. 'Trigger samples from hot cues' is a feature that is in ITCH but not SDJ. We have made a conscious effort to try not implement too many controller-specific features in SDJ so there is more consistency. There aren't many controllers that would benefit from this, and the ones that would are the older ones. So it's not the best use of our resources to be prioritising something like this over something that will benefit more people.
Luis DJ 10:45 PM - 1 September, 2015
Hi.have a question how can i remap a NS6 to work with serato 1.7.7 need to reset pitch sometimes to 0 and move slow the fader automatically till arrive 0. Like it do 0 buttom on Vdj. Im asking because i new working with serato.im not an anglo speaker so dont know if you understan my question
Tommy Deem 12:11 PM - 2 September, 2015
U cannot remap NS6 cause it's native controller to Serato.
Luis DJ 9:07 PM - 4 September, 2015
thank you very much for answer;do i have some way to assign some key function that in some way permit to reset pitch automatically and do it slowly or i have to do it manually. another questions. how can i get the wolf package without to bring my controller to connect internet, or is the only way??
bluefoot 3:18 PM - 14 September, 2015
You can alter midi settings for certain functions if you add an additional midi controller.

Search the forums for "midi map"

You won't get too much help asking extra questions in a thread though so I recommend you start a new thread for the wolf package query.

Hope that helps mate
Luis DJ 3:35 PM - 15 September, 2015
Thank you very much for answer bluefoot..Im just doing it manually... like in the old time. I adaptate my self again..About wolf pack i get package with the controller conected. everything is excellent. Serato function really well and im working over windows. if i know before serato was so good and it sound so great i didnt pass so much work , working with other stuff.