DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Namm 2013; Is it just me or was it disappointing?

Dave The One 12:09 AM - 29 January, 2013
Aside from the NS7 II announcement and strategic alliance with Akai and Avid I'd say it was a big disappointment. Numark did refresh all of it's products and introduce something totally new (orbit), in fact they had the best showing along with the New AIR hardware controllers and Mpc headphones. They missed the mark with 12 pads on the 49 and 61 key controllers.

Further disappointments:
No big announcements from Native Instruments or Atomix.

Avid didn't offer anything new, nor did Ableton or Propellerhead but we know updates are around the corner.

Ableton Live 9 is a huge disappointment as far as new Live DJ'ing capability. I haven't seen anything at all different from Live 8 for the Dj's.

The Ableton/Akai Push controller; I'm not feeling it at all. For christs sake button mashing to replace playing keys/chords on a keyboard. Ableton are destroying EDM production.
And as far as Djing, the apc 40 is still best of all (compared to novation launchpad and push)

Plugin formats are taking a nose dive. Waves has some new sh-t; something grid to further f-ck up unified plugin formats along with Propellerheads and avid (AAX and Propellerheads Rack Extensions, VST, AU)

I think we hit a rough patch.

Hopefully Serato will work on bringing Serato DJ and SSL under one umbrella and give us all The Bridge.
Rebelguy 1:19 AM - 29 January, 2013
I find your comments about Push interesting. My friend who produces and is an amazing keyboard player shot a demo video for it at the NAMM show and he loved it.
Dave The One 1:28 AM - 29 January, 2013
If it's who I think it is; I saw the demo; no disrespect but I wasn't impressed.
DjWoody 2:01 AM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:

Further disappointments:
No big announcements from Native Instruments...

NI doesn't do trade shows. They've said many times.
monchi 2:06 AM - 29 January, 2013
Dave the one, events like this is more about networking. To my disbelief there was a lot more (DJ) talent presence, than any other year!
Rebelguy 3:25 AM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:
If it's who I think it is; I saw the demo; no disrespect but I wasn't impressed.

It wasn't a demo at the show. It was for a website.
Rebelguy 3:25 AM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:
Dave the one, events like this is more about networking. To my disbelief there was a lot more (DJ) talent presence, than any other year!

Yup.
Niro 6:44 AM - 29 January, 2013
I thought the show was dope and glad no one really came out with anything new. Everything has become disposable instead of fixing bugs and defects. Companies and DJ's need to learn and push their gear instead of waiting for someone to develop a Button to push. I'm hoping nothing major comes out for a minute and some products get stable and start becoming a standard.

It would be a different thing if people are doing crazy creative things (and enjoyable to listen/watch) and have reached the limits of what is possible, but I believe we are far from that. I hate having gear that is considered old after a year littered with bugs and forced to buy something new because support was dropped. DJs/musicians should learn and master an instrument/equipment, that's why the 1200 was a standard. It was simple, but the user was able to do so much with it, but it took time to master. Sorry for the rant, but this years show was full of talent and was dope.
BERTO 6:58 AM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:
I thought the show was dope and glad no one really came out with anything new. Everything has become disposable instead of fixing bugs and defects. Companies and DJ's need to learn and push their gear instead of waiting for someone to develop a Button to push. I'm hoping nothing major comes out for a minute and some products get stable and start becoming a standard.

It would be a different thing if people are doing crazy creative things (and enjoyable to listen/watch) and have reached the limits of what is possible, but I believe we are far from that. I hate having gear that is considered old after a year littered with bugs and forced to buy something new because support was dropped. DJs/musicians should learn and master an instrument/equipment, that's why the 1200 was a standard. It was simple, but the user was able to do so much with it, but it took time to master. Sorry for the rant, but this years show was full of talent and was dope.

I agree about stability and disposability point you made, but i think they want to create an "apple" trend with a new consumer base... Good for business not good us. Honestly some of these prices on these disposables scares me. Djs1 comes out everyone went apeshit, now sx pio is out craigslist is bombed with djs1s.... Its like android phones with dj tech nowadays....
BERTO 6:58 AM - 29 January, 2013
Not good for us****
Dave The One 7:18 AM - 29 January, 2013
Good point but Im not looking for talent with these shows, SMH.

As far as I'm concerned the DDJ SX introduced last November blew away everything and even made the NS7 II rollout kind of boring....As did the pioneer cdj and djm nexus, efx products.

Props to Numark/Akai/M-Audio, they were the show but damn; pioneers late release products of 2012 stoled the thunder a bit.

NAMM; talent? What is this world coming to.
phatbob 8:56 AM - 29 January, 2013
"The NAMM Show is the world's largest, most important music products trade show, attended by all the industry's premier decision makers–shouldn't your line be represented?

At the 2013 NAMM Show, you can...

Reach more than 95,000 attendees from 90+ countries
Build the buzz about your brand
Debut your newest products
Connect with current customers and network with new ones
Promote your products to the media
Connect with distributors—who can place your products both nationally and internationally"

Trade shows are always great for networking, but that's not why they happen.

They exist so the buyers from Guitar Center can select their range for next Xmas.

That's why registration isn't open to the public.

Seriously, if the only purpose of the show was to let DJs network, it just wouldn't happen at all.
boabmatic 10:33 AM - 29 January, 2013
I was surprised by the push controller, I thought it was just another launchpad style controller but after watching the namm vids I was pretty impressed with it.
DJ Eighty 8 10:40 AM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:

That "Apple" syndrome is even starting to backfire on Apple. My 2 favorite companies that I use the most Apple/Serato do need to pump the brakes and just let shit breathe for a second instead of making "the next best thing"................?
phatbob 11:19 AM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:
That "Apple" syndrome is even starting to backfire on Apple. My 2 favorite companies that I use the most Apple/Serato do need to pump the brakes and just let shit breathe for a second instead of making "the next best thing"................?

If you read the tech press, then you'd see that the stock market, journalists and users all disagree with that idea of Apple. What's backfiring on them is their LACK of innovation over the last year, not innovating too much.

Much like Serato, they're coasting on the back of a reputation for reliability, and user lock-in. Not the best position for growth.
blackavenger 12:32 PM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:
If you read the tech press, then you'd see that the stock market, journalists and users all disagree with that idea of Apple. What's backfiring on them is their LACK of innovation over the last year, not innovating too much.

Much like Serato, they're coasting on the back of a reputation for reliability, and user lock-in. Not the best position for growth.

Spot on, Phatbob!!!!
DJ GaFFle 12:51 PM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:

It would be a different thing if people are doing crazy creative things (and enjoyable to listen/watch) and have reached the limits of what is possible, but I believe we are far from that. I hate having gear that is considered old after a year littered with bugs and forced to buy something new because support was dropped. DJs/musicians should learn and master an instrument/equipment, that's why the 1200 was a standard. It was simple, but the user was able to do so much with it, but it took time to master...

I agree with you 100%
DJ DisGrace 2:26 PM - 29 January, 2013
Gotta also remember that DJ equipments is a small subsection of NAMM. DJ equipment isn't the main bread winner for a lot of dealers. You also have pro audio gear, lighting, staging, video, production and studio equipment, musical instruments (guitars, pianos, drums), etc...

I used to think selling a pair of CDJs was a big deal when I was selling pro audio gear. Then my boss would come back with a $80k install at a church....
DJ Matty Stiles 3:21 PM - 29 January, 2013
this is why i just dropped 2 grand on a sixty two because Rane is known not to do this. Just get it right the first time. 6 years i think it was for them to make this
Niro 4:17 PM - 29 January, 2013
On the controller side, it seemed like there was a lot of new gear. But nothing revolutionary, no ESP sensor for auto sync.

Talent at trade shows are important, it shows people what can be achieved with the product.

I'm not on here to argue, I just had a different view of the show.
Dave The One 4:36 PM - 29 January, 2013
That's cool; like the thread title states; maybe I'm missing something?

Quite interesting responses.

As far as im concerned one can however go on YouTube an find a multitude of talent without going to the show;
Im not the type to go to dj conventions or looking to get sponsored, I do well without trade shows so the fluff clouds and smoke don't mean anything to me.

I guess I'll just wait and get use to the in between trade show announcements and time frames from the brands that I'm interested in.
Rebelguy 5:03 PM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:
this is why i just dropped 2 grand on a sixty two because Rane is known not to do this. Just get it right the first time. 6 years i think it was for them to make this

I highly doubt they worked on the Sixty Two for six years.

They also don't always get it right the first time. Check out all the issues with the Sixty Eight.
DJ Matty Stiles 5:47 PM - 29 January, 2013
i mean like, it took them six years to come out with a new mixer since the 57, or something like that. Yep, unlikely they had conceptualized it 6 years ago lol
Kristian Valdini 6:39 PM - 29 January, 2013
Serato users have been mostly kept happy round these parts with the SX, which is pretty much spot on. This and the fact everyone knows SSL/DJ will merge in a matter of time seems to have kept most people quiet.

The famed EmpathSL has missed the boat, and people now seem happy with nice solid software options, a native controller and a zillion midi options to boot.

Not sure where Serato will go next if I'm honest - I'm pretty happy as it stands.

K
StylesD 6:53 PM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:

The Ableton/Akai Push controller; I'm not feeling it at all. For christs sake button mashing to replace playing keys/chords on a keyboard. Ableton are destroying EDM production.
And as far as Djing, the apc 40 is still best of all (compared to novation launchpad and push)

couldn't disagree with you more...we shot a first hand demo vid on Push for DJcity and the unit is one of the most impressive pieces of hardware I've seen in a while. I don't get geeked for any of these controllers but this one I will be copping 100%. you sound mad jaded ha
Rebelguy 6:58 PM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

couldn't disagree with you more...we shot a first hand demo vid on Push for DJcity and the unit is one of the most impressive pieces of hardware I've seen in a while. I don't get geeked for any of these controllers but this one I will be copping 100%. you sound mad jaded ha

That's what Megaman told me as well.
Rebelguy 6:58 PM - 29 January, 2013
He wanted one right now. nm
Dave The One 8:23 PM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Jaded? U buggin? I play a keyboard traditionally, it didnt excite me one bit to see someone play a melody on the push controller; I can just imagine the shit music that is going to be made and accepted because dj such and such looked cool playing on push.

However, if it would have been set up like an apc with line faders and cross fader Id be in line day one because of all the possibilities with deejaying and mixing in live. Production wise I don't use ableton which is why I can't appreciate push or the Bill and Ted music music routines littered all over ableton a site an at the convention. lol
CMOS 8:33 PM - 29 January, 2013
As a guy who doesnt play the piano, i see push as awesome. You can select the key you want and those pads will light up letting you know what works with what.

I see this as an invitation to better more complex music coming as the people who cant play the piano now have a better option instead of randomly punching keys.

I know you can do this now with the scale and chord midi effects, but if the hardware does half of what they say it does, ill be on line for one.
Dave The One 9:07 PM - 29 January, 2013
^
And there is right there; that statement says it all!
CMOS 9:23 PM - 29 January, 2013
Says what that it will help me to play piano parts better than i do now?

Thats a good thing.
CMOS 9:25 PM - 29 January, 2013
You play the piano so you see no need for this.

If you didnt, you would be in my camp of "this can help me"
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:34 PM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:
As a guy who doesnt play the piano, i see push as awesome. You can select the key you want and those pads will light up letting you know what works with what.

I see this as an invitation to better more complex music coming as the people who cant play the piano now have a better option instead of randomly punching keys.

I know you can do this now with the scale and chord midi effects, but if the hardware does half of what they say it does, ill be on line for one.

You can change a few words and its a wavy quote about autosync
blackavenger 10:04 PM - 29 January, 2013
I swear, you guys w' your hypocritical view of technology. On the one hand you use a Digital Vinyl Emulator, and on the other, y'all are constantly bucking technological advancement......

Y'all seriously need to pick a side.......w' the way Y'all talk, you should all see your SL Boxes, your CV, your MIDI devices, and your Laptops, and go back to Music Pressed Vinyl.
blackavenger 10:04 PM - 29 January, 2013
sell, not see
Dave The One 10:11 PM - 29 January, 2013
^

Lol regarding sync;

Really? I don't see it that way. I guess my beef is with Ableton, those who use it are definitely a different breed of musician; I do like it for mixtape use like I once did with acid pro. Live DJ'ing I thought the would be hope and as a DAW I'm nauseated; I like pro tools, reaper and reason and use them daily and weekly. Reason 4 was my last favorite version; I have 6.x and it's fine way off what I remembered to be a great tool for composing rewired to pro tools or reason.

Those two programs are wired for the way I was taught to work in a recording studio with racks of instruments hardware /software and a console based mixing environment and traditional timeline for editing etc...

I can see why Avid are going back to a closed system with protools 11. Shit like ableton and push are the reason that music how can I say this without being offensive....
Sucks bad! :)

SMH at katts that can and will use push as their only musical instrument. RIP EDM
Dave The One 10:16 PM - 29 January, 2013
PS one of my major beefs with ableton is the bridge and them crippling live or dj use. Ableton 9 is no different in the sense that they said their audio engine doesn't allow for a track to be played backward (when speaking of limitations with he bridge)
They didnt fix that from version 8 to 9 and it's not impossible (look up ms pinky Vst max for live)

So on that note I'll say it again Push is wack and so is Ableton! The closest we got to a real bridge was the original version of Serato scratch (SSE) witch was an rtas plugin for protools.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:22 PM - 29 January, 2013
Basically its like this

I know how to do something: fuck everyone who dosent know how to do it who uses tech to cheat they should take the time to learn

I dont know how to do something: technologys great it helps me out and makes life so much easier
sixxx 10:40 PM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:
I swear, you guys w' your hypocritical view of technology. On the one hand you use a Digital Vinyl Emulator, and on the other, y'all are constantly bucking technological advancement......

Y'all seriously need to pick a side.......w' the way Y'all talk, you should all see your SL Boxes, your CV, your MIDI devices, and your Laptops, and go back to Music Pressed Vinyl.

I would agree with you except for the fact that music isn't pressed on vinyl anymore. Not all the music that is released whether by a record label or joe mixer down the street from you.

nm
SUBSTANCE 10:51 PM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:

At the 2013 NAMM Show, you can...

Reach more than 95,000 attendees from 90+ countries
Build the buzz about your brand
Debut your newest products
Connect with current customers and network with new ones
Promote your products to the media
Connect with distributors—who can place your products both nationally and internationally"

The internet does all of these, some would say better.
blackavenger 10:53 PM - 29 January, 2013
Yeah, I guess that's why it's nice to play Underground Dance Music.......just about all my favorite labels currently, and from back in the day still press vinyl.
blackavenger 10:55 PM - 29 January, 2013
I still buy & play vinyl.....but admittedly, not nearly as much as I do my FLACs/MP3s. But then again, I'm not the one who's constantly talkin' shit about using DJ Tech to my advantage....I embrace it ;-)
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:56 PM - 29 January, 2013
Acutual question....has a trapsteptrack EVER been pressed to vinyl lol
blackavenger 11:05 PM - 29 January, 2013
^ LOL ^

probably not, as none of that shit is even worth the vinyl it would be pressed on.
sixxx 11:33 PM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:
I still buy & play vinyl.....but admittedly, not nearly as much as I do my FLACs/MP3s. But then again, I'm not the one who's constantly talkin' shit about using DJ Tech to my advantage....I embrace it ;-)

I would honestly go back to vinyl (not all vinyl of course, for cheesy parties and what not) if all the good shit was pressed on vinyl AND I still got it all for free for being on the radio. :)

nm
blackavenger 11:56 PM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:
I would honestly go back to vinyl (not all vinyl of course, for cheesy parties and what not) if all the good shit was pressed on vinyl AND I still got it all for free for being on the radio. :)

Wouldn't it be funny if after all these years of DJ-Tech advancements, that a massive movement of DJs demanded Vinyl & Techs again?!!?

I mean, I tried the NS6 for over a year. I still had my Techs, and had them connected to it (w' SL3) but found myself using the Techs less, and less. Then it dawned on me that DJing was not as fun as it was when I was using the Techs, so I decided to find/buy another mixer, and sell the NS6, as I considered it a crutch, and had really come to despise it. However, with that said, I can't see myself going back to "exclusively" vinyl ever again.....I LOVE DVS, and Live Remixing via SP-6/Remix Decks (Traktor)/Ableton, so I can't go back to just mixing A into B, sometimes C, and then back again......rinse/repeat....NO WAY!

But it would be funny if there was a MASSIVE backlash against the Tech.
I'd like to witness that.
Dave The One 12:29 AM - 30 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Wouldn't it be funny if after all these years of DJ-Tech advancements, that a massive movement of DJs demanded Vinyl & Techs again?!!?

I mean, I tried the NS6 for over a year. I still had my Techs, and had them connected to it (w' SL3) but found myself using the Techs less, and less. Then it dawned on me that DJing was not as fun as it was when I was using the Techs, so I decided to find/buy another mixer, and sell the NS6, as I considered it a crutch, and had really come to despise it. However, with that said, I can't see myself going back to "exclusively" vinyl ever again.....I LOVE DVS, and Live Remixing via SP-6/Remix Decks (Traktor)/Ableton, so I can't go back to just mixing A into B, sometimes C, and then back again......rinse/repeat....NO WAY!

But it would be funny if there was a MASSIVE backlash against the Tech.
I'd like to witness that.

I concur; it isn't as fun as it used to be and a big part of that is the lifeless ableton produced EDM lol.

I did however have a blast with the ns6 and even moreso with the DDJ-SX. As good as the pitch is on the DDJ-SX it doesn't feel like the quartz pitch on the 1200's, I remember riding that pitch up and down for certain records like third worlds now that we found love and passing the zero lock crossing and keeping control of the mix. That was and still is a task.

I did just purchase a lollipop headphone to hve some fun mixing without sync, I Wouk never go back to 1200's or vinyl though; some things are better left alone.....
DJ Reflex 1:33 AM - 30 January, 2013
Quote:
Gotta also remember that DJ equipments is a small subsection of NAMM. DJ equipment isn't the main bread winner for a lot of dealers. You also have pro audio gear, lighting, staging, video, production and studio equipment, musical instruments (guitars, pianos, drums), etc...

I used to think selling a pair of CDJs was a big deal when I was selling pro audio gear. Then my boss would come back with a $80k install at a church....

I get a kick out of the new lighting products at NAMM. I know it's all just pretty colors thrown around the room, but this stuff still interests me. I'm a light whore! Chauvet and ADJ are churning out some decent LED lights with more advanced features for clubs AND mobile DJs.

The music side is cool too, but not as exciting for me to see the latest innovation in controllers. Maybe it's cuz I still use my 1200's for everything. Serato works just fine for me. Just wish they'd fix the annoying bugs.
Dave The One 1:43 AM - 30 January, 2013
If I see this song played on Push I will come back and eat crow and Pre-order right away!

youtu.be

If you don't know who this is or the original song; you don't know Electronic Dance Music!

1969 baby, Moog Madness! Original youtu.be

And a good cover by a kid! youtu.be

I want to see this done on Push! And not just one octave or one hand.
Dave The One 1:45 AM - 30 January, 2013
Oh; and the Popular version of Popcorn.....1972
youtu.be
DJ GaFFle 12:22 PM - 31 January, 2013
Quote:
You play the piano so you see no need for this.

If you didnt, you would be in my camp of "this can help me"

Sort of like Autotune and how it helps most non singers.
CMOS 7:01 PM - 31 January, 2013
Quote:
I concur; it isn't as fun as it used to be and a big part of that is the lifeless ableton produced EDM lol.

This i because they dont know how to play piano and dont have a tool like push :P