Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Advanced Library Managment/Tools

LJ_WOOLSEY 11:30 AM - 28 January, 2013
Hi Team Serato.

So in All this time the serato Library has had no updates apart from the Key column and smart crates (That are not very smart).

So now with Serato DJ i think its time we had some if not ALL of these things people have requested over the years and years and years you've been around. (I Know Glenn was looking into seeing what things people wanted more so here is the list below)

Utilities
* Key detection.
* Internet sourced audio tagging (more info here: stackoverflow.com)
* Generate tags based on filename.
* Rename files based on tags.
* Mass removal of video/effect association to audio files.
* Easy was to remove ALL serato meta data from media files.
* Export crates to .m3u, .csv or some other format.
* Allow user scripts to do mass modifications to data. (Umm, will we need an undo).

Library Structure
* Smart crates can be moved to crates.
* Nested smart crates (i.e. child smart crate has content from all ancestor smart crates).
* Track 'linking'. The ability to state that certain tracks work well with some other track (at the DJ's discretion). Perhaps we can do work on some kind of 'smart linking.
* Sync/Map a crate to a folder or folder hierarchy on a internal or external drive. This would be a form of smart crate or smart crate hierarchy.
* Remember what iTunes playlists have been expanded/collapsed.

Library Display/Info
* Track play count.
* Crate total track time.
* Track 'star' ratings.
* Multi-labelling a track (i.e. gmail labels or web 2.0 style tag clouds).
* View BPM to 2 decimal places.
* Be able to hide the # and color columns
* Be able to collapse the entire library.
* More crate metadata, i.e. Info about a crate. DateCreated, description.
* Be able to switch between camelot key notation and standard key notation.
* The track color label could/should colour the entire row (i48.photobucket.com)
* Other column ideas: style, version, publisher, rating.
* The ability to hide crates without removing them from the database (need a way to show them again though).

Searching/sorting
* Duplicate track detection.
* Sort by non video associated audio files.
* Search for audio files with missing associated videos.
* Sort criteria based on multiple columns. This will act as the 'secondary' or 'tertiary' search criteria. (GUI wise, this could be achieved by shift+clicking the columns in the order of the search)
* Selective iTunes playlist import (i.e. be able to ignore certain playlists).
* Be able to reveal what crates the selected track(s) is/are located in, either by crate highlighting or some other means.
* Be able to search for tracks that have (or don't have) cue points/loops
* Be able to search for tracks that haven't been analysed yet.
* Be able to multi-select crates and have the track view populate according to the contents of the selected crates. More power user features are described here: serato.com
* Be able to save a search criteria/string as a smart crate.
* When cancelling a search with the search text field/filter, return the library 'cursor' to the original track selection.
* Harmonic Key sorting should be done chromatically, not alphabetically.

If anyone has any other requests of tools or the way the library works please add them here. and also +1
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:02 PM - 28 January, 2013
+1
But dayum! That is a long list and most i would have no use of :)
dizzyrocks2001 10:36 PM - 28 January, 2013
I agree with some of the items but jeez some of the requests are a bit over the top. Sometimes it's easier to just hit control F to search for a song instead of having to go through a bunch of filters, steps, procedures, coding etc. And "Be able to search for tracks that have (or don't have) cue points/loops"??
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:39 PM - 28 January, 2013
This post is from a serato dev member. But i wanted to copy it here to help them see which people think is the most important to them.

Like my top request is multi column sort so i can sort by video then key then bpm for example.

Then smarter smart crates.

And bunch of the above.
DJ WALTER CAPOTE 10:42 PM - 9 March, 2013
+1 * Duplicate track detection.
+1 * Be able to reveal what crates the selected track(s) is/are located in, either by crate highlighting or some other means.
DJKentaa 10:24 PM - 10 March, 2013
+1 on most of it... well all ideas are great!
djant0001 6:26 PM - 29 April, 2013
+1 on most of the items in the list. I would really push for Sync/Map a crate to a folder and duplicate track detection.
spliffstarz 12:13 AM - 4 May, 2013
* Sort criteria based on multiple columns. This will act as the 'secondary' or 'tertiary' search criteria. (GUI wise, this could be achieved by shift+clicking the columns in the order of the search)

Yes, this is very useful for the simple fact that sometimes theres a large collection of tracks and your'e trying to do a quick mashup on the fly. Being able to sort by 'Key' and then by 'BPM' would be very useful, instead of sorting by key and then looking in the BPM column for a similar BPM.
Flippz 3:03 PM - 9 May, 2013
+1
DJ Koko / Digital Moses 11:11 PM - 8 December, 2013
+1
BADIW 10:23 PM - 10 December, 2013
+1000000000000000 on EVERYTHING. With ability to activate/deactivte certain functions in the preferences.
djecek 2:56 PM - 11 December, 2013
1. Implement key analyzes. (circle of fifths , and camelot code)

2. Serato DJ could look forward and implement the key match feature which is availble in CDJ-2000nsx. On CDJ when you go thru you library there is a green box on key notation which indicates that loaded track will be on the same key or shifted on 4 or 5 notes (circle of fifths concept)

3. Very nice playlist feature that decrase font size to match column width. (minimum font size should be availble in setup tab)

4. Maybye that is my opinion but font type in ScratchLive and recordbox are more readable then that currently used in SeratoDJ.
swift807 12:14 AM - 7 January, 2014
+1

1.select multiple columns at same time

2.hide crates and songs similar to pro tools and logic with tracks.

3.reveal what crate track being played , searched,
Dj Ricky Redz 4:38 PM - 10 January, 2014
Sync folders to crates or basically add all the features of "Alchemie Zinc", sera to-sync, or itch-sync

Thats what i neeeeeeeeeeeeedddddd right now!!
pueblofunky 7:07 AM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:

4. Maybye that is my opinion but font type in ScratchLive and recordbox are more readable then that currently used in SeratoDJ.

+1 ...

During library management on the desk at home (but also for me during djing) it is nothing better readable than the normal font (not bold) as in ScratchLive.

It is definitely a show stop for me to switch to Serato DJ 1.6 and buy a SL2,3,4. I also prefer the SL1 + SSL although in the club is a DJM 900 SRT - to use with Serato DJ.

Please make an option between normal / bold for library + crates.

It should be easy to implement because you also have made an option between gray and blue color for a played track ...

Thanks a lot!
SiRocket 8:28 AM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:
+1000000000000000 on EVERYTHING. With ability to activate/deactivte certain functions in the preferences.
Fl!ped 2:21 AM - 2 March, 2014
+1000
Jensen Määäm 10:11 PM - 6 March, 2014
+1 on most of the things
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:26 PM - 6 March, 2014
Shame Glenn no longer works for Serato who was drumming up ideas and a new library for Serato. But the dream can still go on....
lindsaymar 4:04 PM - 30 March, 2014
I think multi column sort for the sake of having 'BPM' as well as another column would be redundant if we could have a [BPM Range] You could select it if you wanted your library to only show a certain BPM range (within a mixable range.) It could be updated by the bpm of tracks you load.
Traktor has this feature and it's wonderful. Most of our searching requires music within a BPM range!!!
Rasta Four-Eyes 5:33 PM - 14 June, 2015
YES to most of those things. Nested Smart Crates? Duh! +10000
Denne 5:37 PM - 14 June, 2015
+1
swift807 2:55 AM - 16 June, 2015
1.view multiple crates at same time. (basic for any file management is have mult. finder windows open)

2. improve album grid view . Zoom should be separate for artwork and text.
A lot of wasted space on the older one in scratch live.

Also, Separate selections for the header columns ,bpm genre, etc from the text shown with the artwork. You want to see genre, comments,artist, group etc in the column but in the grid only want to see artwork and bpm.

3. browser should show all headers as the playlist. Browser only shows , artist, bpm, genre and album, were's the rest ? i.e. group , comments, year, etc...
Sludgeguts 12:36 AM - 17 June, 2015
Track play count and track last played
Dj Jamie Carter 9:22 PM - 17 June, 2015
+1 to play count and last played.
hansjer 1:50 AM - 13 July, 2015
+1 reveal what crates the selected track is located in
+1 duplicate track detection
+1 track play count
+1 collapse entire library when using controller such as Numark NV or NS7III so that space can be filled with sp-6, FX, flip and record function windows.

Things I would like to add to the list :
I would like to add +1 for an option to replace one song from multiple crates at one time if I wish to replace them all with a better mix.
I would also like to add a +1 for an option to exclude or add certain hard drive folders or files from song search, find missing files and analyze operations. but I still would like to be able to manually drag a song from those folders into a crate or "ALL" if needed.