Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Why i can get NS6 & NS7 to work with windows 8

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Numark NS7
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
Dj.Stylez 6:30 PM - 25 January, 2013
Hey i have a new HP Probook with a windows 7 bit & windows 8 64bit... but i dont seem to get it to work everytime i conect it my ns6 or the ns7 it says not conected...

can anyone help me out
Dj MacMillz 8:28 PM - 26 January, 2013
Because it's not yet supported.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 1:35 AM - 30 January, 2013
Hi Dj.Stylez

Yes, I'm afraid Dj MacMillz is correct (thanks :), none of our software currently supports Windows 8. We have had some users who are able to get it going sometimes (like yourself), but we haven't finished writing and testing the connection drivers yet so can't guarantee anything at the moment.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers
Dj Cyphe 8:46 PM - 4 August, 2013
To all of you who have franticly searched the internet looking for a solution to this, I have found one. The Vista/Windows 7 drivers work in Windows 8, the trick is getting them installed. Driver Signature Enforcement in Windows 8 refuses to allow any drivers signed specifically for Windows 8 to be installed. The trick to installing is to disabling this prior to installing.

First start off with all previously drivers wiped and Serato Itch (or whatever DJ software you are using) erased. I've left Virtual DJ on my system and it works fine after, so this might be the exception.

Second, proceed with disabling Driver Signature Enforcement In Windows 8. The method below is how to turn it off temporarily.

Step 1. Go to the right bottom corner of the desktop and wait for the side menu to appear. When it's there click on the gear icon with the title "Settings".

Step 2. Now click on the entry "More PC Settings", then click on the entry "General".

Step 3. Scroll down to "Restart now" (under "Advanced start up ") and click it.

Step 4. Wait a bit for a menu.

Step 5. Now click "Troubleshoot", then "Advanced Options" and after that click "Windows Start up Settings".

Step 6. Click on "Restart" and wait for the options menu. After the restart, you are prompted with a few options. Enter the corresponding number for Disable Driver Signature Enforcement.

Step 7: Once you did this you will be able to install the unsigned Numark drivers. Run the NS7 driver setup or the Serato Itch setup in administrator mode and install as normal. If prompted with a message about the drivers being unsigned, just click "Install this driver" software anyway and this will install your driver.

Viola! Your drivers are installed. Note that you will need to boot in this mode in the future to use the NS7 drivers. If you boot in normal mode, Windows will disable them without asking.

To disable Driver Signature Enforcement permanently you can follow the instructions below, although I've never tried it.

Disabling Driver Signature Enforcement In Windows 8 Permanently

Step 1. Open the Windows command promt as "Run as Administrator".

Step 2. Run "bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS" (without the "").

Step 3. To finalize the process run "bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON" (without the "").

Step 4. Reboot and you're done.

To disable it do step 1 and run these commands on step 2 and 3:

Step 2. "bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS" (without the "")

Step 3. "bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF" (without the "")

Then do step 4 and you're done!

Disclaimer: Although this method has worked for me, there is no guarantee it will work for you. If you are not an experienced computer user, I ask you refrain from attempting this. Installing unsigned drivers is known to cause potential hardware conflicts and may cause system instability. By doing this, you do so knowing the potential risks. This solution is not being offered by Numark, Serato, or any of their associates. They will not provide you with support if you blow up your computer.

My full write up with screenshots can be seen here:

community.numark.com
Serato, Support
Aaron E 4:05 AM - 5 August, 2013
Thanks for that Dj Cyphe

We've made a number of improvements at our end with Windows 8 connectivity, but I'll be sure to pass this on to anyone who is still having difficulty after troubleshooting.

Cheers!
djkeymookatt 4:14 PM - 20 August, 2013
SOOOOOOOOO WHEN THE HELL ARE YOU GOING TO CERTIFY WIN8??? I'm going nuts.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:48 PM - 20 August, 2013
Hey djkeymookatt

Have you tried running our software on Windows 8? The vast majority of users have no issue with it at all, and those that do usually hit bumps with installation or connection. If you can install the software and connect your hardware, I'd feel confident in saying you are good to go.

Officially supporting an OS requires a lot of testing and we still have some areas to cover, but that doesn't mean it won't work for you.

Cheers
djkeymookatt 9:14 PM - 20 August, 2013
Okay, I can get serato dj to work in single track only and that is after I set the program in win8 compatibility mode, but once I plug in the NS6 the shit hits the fan. Numark is on their asses with this as they still don't support win8. I'm thinking of selling it and going for the pioneer ddj1000.

Cheers!!
djkeymookatt 9:16 PM - 20 August, 2013
I meant pioneer ddj-sx

durrrrrrr
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:51 PM - 20 August, 2013
What exactly happens when you plug in your DDJ-SX?
djkeymookatt 1:53 AM - 21 August, 2013
I don't own one but I'm thinking about buying one.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:50 AM - 21 August, 2013
Cool. What exactly happens when you plug in your NS6?
djkeymookatt 1:11 AM - 22 August, 2013
Serato dj in single track mode suddenly reports the error: "serato dj has stopped working"

Without the controller hooked up, the single track version of dj works fine.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 2:43 AM - 22 August, 2013
Have you installed the correct driver from numark.com? Could you also tell me how large you library is and whether you are using iTunes and/or an external HD?

Cheers
djkeymookatt 3:41 PM - 22 August, 2013
Drivers and firmware are up to date and win 8 sees it as connected, but after talking with Numark customer support I found that the NS^ simply will not work until there AQ department certifies win8. They will release an update whe nthey get off their asses. I'm still using the NS6 with an older win7 machine, but it contains an AMD chip and all of the Serato hates those chips - for good reason.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:44 AM - 23 August, 2013
Ah okay, thanks for that info man, that clarifies things somewhat. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers
7:02 AM, 6 Sep 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.