DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How do you promote/market yourslf to get more gigs these day

BIGG BEAR 7:07 PM - 24 January, 2013
Hi Guys
What sort of things are you doing to put yourself near the front of the queue for getting new gigs,Up untill the last 2 or 3 years I just used to get gigs quite easy but now a days its a bit more of a fight.I find facebook and twitter difficult to get results from.

Used to be that if you were good at something you got the work but things have changed.
What are you guys doing to get the gigs?
Thanks
dj poisonous handz 7:30 PM - 24 January, 2013
we're all trying to get on reality shows.going to rehearsals,sending in videotapes and all that.once we land that spot on a reality show,gigs are gonna be falling from the sky
Audio1 8:07 PM - 24 January, 2013
BIGG BEAR: Ask yourself this. What are you doing to separate yourself from the pack? There are millions of DJ's these days and I'd say about 50% (or more) of them have little to no skill behind turntables. Keep doing what works for you. Promote and Market yourself. Build a brand and sell yourself. I've been DJing way over 20 years and I still have to "SHOW & PROVE" against everybody else for gigs. Stand up for yourself. You mainly have to sell yourself and be flexible with gigs and pay (at times). Everyone else is willing to work for way less and you are easily replaceable in 2013. Good luck.
Audio1 8:12 PM - 24 January, 2013
Lets be honest folks. We all DJ the same clubs and scenes and pretty much obtain the same music from all the same sources. What are you doing to be unique? Sometimes getting into producting or even making your edits and remixes can help. The sky is the limit really as long as you don't resort to childish gimmicks. Yes. People make money wearing masks. Is that really who you are though? Things to think about. There is so much to DJing that many of us truly value and it sucks to see this artform we saw rise almost get wiped out due to the technology that keeps us on this forum today. DJing = A gift and a curse in 2013.
Jesus Christ 8:15 PM - 24 January, 2013
I'm starting my workout and tanning regiment early so I can look good in a bikini for my next promo photo shoot. Sex sells.
DjWoody 8:24 PM - 24 January, 2013
Quote:
I'm starting my workout and tanning regiment early so I can look good in a bikini for my next promo photo shoot. Sex sells.

I know a DJ who did that. lol
BIGG BEAR 8:32 PM - 24 January, 2013
Ok so lets say you want a gig at a certain venue in town.you know you are far better than the current dj,without making yourself look an ass,without undercutting how do you get that gig?
eder 10:38 PM - 24 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I know a DJ who did that. lol

and her softballs looked amazing.
jprime 10:40 PM - 24 January, 2013
baby step really. start with mixing, some scratching, get creative, then really go wild.

then gigs will come to you I should think.
DeeJay*CASPER 10:42 PM - 24 January, 2013
Quote:
Ok so lets say you want a gig at a certain venue in town.you know you are far better than the current dj,without making yourself look an ass,without undercutting how do you get that gig?

sometimes you cant…..you just gotta move on. create another place and build it or try there.

99% of the dj's that are on is because their friends with the promoter.
DeeJay*CASPER 10:43 PM - 24 January, 2013
Quote:
baby step really. start with mixing, some scratching, get creative, then really go wild.

its 2013….you trying to get the man killed LOL
Audio1 11:47 PM - 24 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

its 2013….you trying to get the man killed LOL
FREALS! Fist PUMPS > Turntablism, BRO! (LMAO)
DJDBAG 6:16 AM - 25 January, 2013
or make friends with the current dj and try and get some opening slots for him and go from there
DJ ENUF 6:49 AM - 25 January, 2013
serato.com
^^^lotta good info in this post.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:57 PM - 26 January, 2013
Quote:
]The sky is the limit really as long as you don't resort to childish gimmicks. Yes. People make money wearing masks. Is that really who you are though? Things to think about. .

what if the answers yes.....i think id do well in a mask
dj poisonous handz 6:28 PM - 26 January, 2013
seen a safsdre mask on ebay for 19.99 too.doubt its still there though.they go like hot cakes