Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Zoom on the Soundwaves

Not_Sean 1:20 PM - 21 January, 2013
Hey there,

So the other day I was messing around on VDJ7 Pro (Now before you all start hating on the program) there was one feature that really stood out to me,

Its on the Sound wave bars (VDJ at the top) Serato Itch at the bottom. Now what VDJ allows you to do is to zoom out so that you can see more of the song, or zoom in and see the waves more clearly.

I found this to be a massive help as i was able to zoom out and see a lot easier when the break and other parts were coming up and also helped me a lot to Time my next song to fit in. It just gave me that little bit more info on whats happening with my songs.

Its just a simple slider that adjusts the zoom level so each person can find that perfect point that suits them.

Thanks so much, keen to hear feedback
DJSK1978 2:38 PM - 21 January, 2013
+1 This would be extremely valuable.
phatbob 6:35 PM - 21 January, 2013
A bit like what happens now when you press the + and - keys, you mean?
deejdave 4:09 AM - 23 January, 2013
and on this note its off to bed for me. I noticed things got worse right after Xmas on here but hopefully it clears up after a while.
ivan zilch 11:08 AM - 23 January, 2013
+1
not enough zoom on the waveforms!
Not_Sean 5:38 PM - 25 January, 2013
@Phatbob yes exactly like them. but with a bit more flex to find that perfect spot.

@DeejDave, feel like you taking a shot at me for being some kiddy christmas DJ, I've been playing for 4 years and mainly do live production with ableton + a korg MicroKontrol and a misa Digital Kitara (that my mate plays) I got a twitch cause it can map to Ableton as well as if i ever do simple DJ sets i can also use it. Yes I am new to serato but doesn't mean i can't be right.. this is what I do:
Watchwww.youtube.com
Boombox 1:16 PM - 26 January, 2013
I would like it if the zoom in and out was smooth rather that set into stages. Kind of like volume control.
dj point 3:39 AM - 1 February, 2013
+1 this feature is very very important. A must
DJNitro12 9:11 PM - 1 February, 2013
Has anyone in here DJed before waveforms?
dizzyrocks2001 9:38 PM - 1 February, 2013
Quote:

Haha, well said! I don't get why everyone is hung up on the waveform zooming either.
dj point 10:38 PM - 1 February, 2013
It's good to see the ups and downs on the beat. especially in music that you never heard before you can see where the brakes at. pS I don't know why people even bother to respond if they can answer the question why bother and waste your time with stupidity responses. I guess that's the ignorance in this world.
dizzyrocks2001 6:47 PM - 2 February, 2013
Quote:
It's good to see the ups and downs on the beat. especially in music that you never heard before you can see where the brakes at. pS I don't know why people even bother to respond if they can answer the question why bother and waste your time with stupidity responses. I guess that's the ignorance in this world.

But you can see the ups and downs of the beat just fine with the different zoom settings so why request a feature that wouldn't really make a difference?
elrohir 6:49 AM - 3 February, 2013
I don't get ,but I also wana try.
Robert Hode 3:22 PM - 2 April, 2013
+1

doubling and halving is definitely not enough control. While we are at it I would also like the wave displays of the two tracks to be slightly bigger. As they are I can't really see much into them with my 15.6 laptop.

Quote:
I would like it if the zoom in and out was smooth rather that set into stages. Kind of like volume control.
dizzyrocks2001 6:21 PM - 2 April, 2013
Seriously, you guys can't get by with the way the waveforms currently are? If the waveform zoom level is that much of a factor then you're not using your ears enough when mixing.
Robert Hode 10:50 PM - 2 April, 2013
We can get away with it, as we can get away with two old cdjs and a crappy mixer in between, but 'get away' is not what this forum is about. It is about requesting new features :)) there is a huge wave of people doing more and more on-the-fly production and to them looking and understanding the waveform is useful to be creative and permits to expand the music they play to more than those tracks they can memorize phrase by phrase. Ears can only process a track sequentially, eyes can see the whole in one glance, this changed DJing, granted, and people are taking it all over the place. I like that, I don't care if they started using more senses than one to do it. I want them to keep doing it more, and if they need tools with a microscope on top, who is to decide they should not have them. People used to say the same of electric guitars, then synthesizers, then CDJs, then... :)))
Peace out!
phatbob 11:02 PM - 2 April, 2013
If the regular waveforms aren't big enough on a 15" screen I suggest a visit to the opticians. Or you could use extended view; if the waveforms aren't big enough for going across the width of the screen, then damn, I don't know what would be big enough for you.
deejdave 4:48 AM - 3 April, 2013
Yeah I can understand this being a want............. someday. Down the road possibly when all bugs/compatibility issues are addressed and something new is needed to make the kiddies happy.
Robert Hode 10:44 AM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
If the regular waveforms aren't big enough on a 15" screen I suggest a visit to the opticians.

Not everyone's eyesight is perfect. No reason to be derogatory, though, is it? I am sure Serato is keen to equally respect users with all degrees of eyesight.
It's not for one particular user (however veteran he may be here) to decide what everybody else needs or wants, based on his own particular taste or style or optical prowess.
I have been told that Serato is very democratic about forum policy. The same open mindedness and liberalism on the part of all users would be equally welcome.
Robert Hode 11:57 AM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
... and something new is needed to make the kiddies happy.

funny... I am afraid, though, misguided for no less than 3 reasons:
1) because waveforms are used as much by sophisticated controllerists, including huge names on the scene, as much as by some younger folks. It is only older and outdated people who don't need them
2) because If anything, DJs with poor eyesight tend to be in their forties, like myself, and often they have been DJing since acid house and TB-303s were all the rage
3) because there are some 'kiddies' that can kick any older guy's technics turntable to shreds, whether they started DJing one year ago or thirty
phatbob 2:50 PM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
Not everyone's eyesight is perfect. No reason to be derogatory, though, is it? I am sure Serato is keen to equally respect users with all degrees of eyesight.

Which is why I suggested a visit to the opticians. They have these 'glasses' available to correct vision.

Again, I ask, with the waveforms going across the width of the screen in extended view, is that not enough? What other part of the GUI would you excise in order to make them bigger still?
dizzyrocks2001 3:23 PM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Which is why I suggested a visit to the opticians. They have these 'glasses' available to correct vision.

Again, I ask, with the waveforms going across the width of the screen in extended view, is that not enough? What other part of the GUI would you excise in order to make them bigger still?

I agree with phatbob on this one. If your eyesight is bad then wear glasses, get a larger laptop, use extended view, and adapt.
phatbob 3:38 PM - 3 April, 2013
I mean, seriously, is this not enough waveform for anybody? You're not editing audio, it's playback software...

djworx.com
Robert Hode 3:52 PM - 3 April, 2013
I am sorry guys, I think you miss the point... let's put it this way, Traktor, VDJ and others have larger waveforms, mainly not because they use more real estate but because they make better use of it. As a professional with a MSc in Human Computer Interaction, and someone who has worked in the specific field of designing and understanding visual interfaces and how the brain processes and makes sense of them since the 1980s, I am of the opinion that Serato DJ's waveform interface can be improved and made clearer.
This being a feature request forum I +1'd the request. End of story.
Anyone can argue what they want but it will take more than some bullying from a few kids to make me change my mind on something I know very very well, fact is, I know by name each and everyone of the few the people in this field that could change my mind.... the rest is chitchat
phatbob 4:26 PM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
This being a feature request forum I +1'd the request. End of story.

And likewise I -1'd it.

VDJ doesn't display both channels on their waveforms, and overlays them on each other, offering very little feedback on the actual audio content when playing multiple tracks.

Traktor doesn't offer a parallel display, and requires a phase meter to supplement theirs.

Please explain how either of those options is superior for the actual usage in question: mixing tracks.
Robert Hode 4:53 PM - 3 April, 2013
parallel display is not necessary, the point that looking at detailed waveforms is not so much for mixing as much as for on the fly slice n dice producing has been made abundantly clear.
Btw you haven't toyd around with vdj lately. They can toggle between a dozen different waveform display modes, some stereo some mono some patallel some superimposed etc etc ad nauseam. I t makes Serato look like a toy.
This is what I expect from top software, to accomodate all diverse professional users. And if different people have different tastes to each one their own.
What I don't understand is what is it to you if have an option to suit me, if you can still have it your old way. What is your specific interest in hindering others? I am not trying to take anything away i am trying to add. That benefits everyone unless they are animated by to keep everyone out, scared of the new and different, or whatever..
I +1d a few things in these forums but would consider it immature to go around all other threads to -1 other stuff, check on what everyone says, get pissed at stuff which does not concerns me and so on... chill and focus on your music. Don't worry about us here, we are not your business. and if you are american as i think, stop watching fox news
Roy Levi 7:38 PM - 3 April, 2013
+1

More ways to display the waveforms would be quite handy.
deejdave 9:34 PM - 3 April, 2013
Someone's trying to hard here.............. Stop with your ASSumptions no one is bullying you they simply disagree with you. Even though they may not be "a professional with a MSc in Human Computer Interaction" (I am not impressed BTW) they have every right to speak their mind. Sorry to say but a DJ living in Bumblescum, Alabama USA that didnt get past the third grade could potentially have more of an idea of what works and what doesn't (at least for them) in the DJ field than anyone in your field.

I always say to each his own and a big whatever on the issue of larger waveforms. I just 100% feel that there are MANY other features that can be added as well as many other bugs/issues that should be addressed long before this should even be considered. Also if this is ever added it should be an option switchable by the user as I would NEVER have it on. I simply refuse to be one of those people that need the jumbo button TV remotes and zoomed in computer screens. My vision is fine and I would opt to fill the real estate on my Serato screen with other features of actual use.................. sorry i mean of more use. I promise you I am not bullying you and I also promise you I am not a kid. I understand I am not one of those few people that could change your mind at my command but this is just my opinion. I didn't think what I originally said was all that bad nor did I direct it towards you. I didn't mean kiddies as in childish or trivial. I meant it as the Christmas morning type of feeling we all get every time there is a new update in Serato. Sorry you didn't get that. Obviously your masters isn't in humor (sorry I just had to). No hard feelings and you're welcome to your own opinion as well.
Robert Hode 11:53 AM - 4 April, 2013
Quote:
Someone's trying to hard here...

Well, joke for joke, at least I learned to spell and to refrain from giving opinions on other people when not invited to.

Quote:

Sorry to say but a DJ living in Bumblescum, Alabama USA that didnt get past the third grade could potentially have more of an idea of what works and what doesn't (at least for them) in the DJ field than anyone in your field.

No actually, he cannot.
I am paid by much larger companies than Serato to design complex software interfaces, it is, you see, my profession, in addition to something I taught it in university for several years (Cognitive Science).
The nice guy from Bumblescum cannot teach me anything about what works and what doesn't in software interfaces or how the brain makes sense of the world, no more than he can teach Messi how to play football because he plays with his office team, or teach a fighter pilot how to fly a plane, because he plays with flight simulator games.
He can of course have his very own likes and dislikes in these fields too but he'd be wise to keep them to himself and avoid embarrassment.

Quote:

Obviously your masters isn't in humor

No it is not, it is in something that actually matters to this discussion.
If you want to write humor I recommend that you visit the Onion or some comedy web site. I wouldn't expect anyone on those sites to suddenly start complaining that audio production is not understood on the forums, though.

Quote:
No hard feelings and you're welcome to your own opinion as well.

So are you of course, I honestly respect and understand that, especially within the Serato user base, many people don't really need or want complications and advanced functions.
I understand that one should look at Traktor and Ableton if they want more dials and knobs and configuration and customization to play with.

In return I invite all the Luddites here to understand that in the general EDM community these characteristics are highly desirable and getting more popular by the day.
Controllerists and live producers need things like midi mapping, hundred of configurations options, system openness... or in one word: freedom.

Being essential and traditionalist is one thing, actively trying to prevent others from doing new things is quite another, and something I will not put up with.

Hope we have straightened it out and everyone can express their opinions on the forum, no matter if radical or naive, without holding back in fear that some self appointed djing purity militia will poke fun at them.

all the best,

Robert Hode (wiki.answers.com)
phatbob 2:06 PM - 4 April, 2013
Quote:
parallel display is not necessary

...but still one of the most heavily requested features by Traktor users.
Roy Levi 2:21 PM - 4 April, 2013
Quote:

Interesting that you should mention it, they actually had an oscilloscope on the reel to reel editing station where I did my first production. Must have been in the late 80s :o)
Robert Hode 2:22 PM - 4 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
parallel display is not necessary

...but still one of the most heavily requested features by Traktor users.

I 100% second that...! Actually I got carried away there, I do think that for many people parallel is indispensable, and not for "cheating" but for creative reasons.
The problem is that any one of Ableton, Traktor, Serato (the sw I use) and VDJ8 (the slow progress of which I am monitoring) does some things better than the others.

Let's make it very clear I consider Serato absolutely excellent, the best of the lot in many areas. It's just that it's hard to resist the temptation of wanting it ALL (and in one single convenient package) ;) it's just enthusiasm, so to speak
phatbob 3:27 PM - 4 April, 2013
Quote:
The problem is that any one of Ableton, Traktor, Serato (the sw I use) and VDJ8 (the slow progress of which I am monitoring) does some things better than the others.

Very true.
stuphz 7:31 AM - 25 April, 2013
Sorry to necro a somewhat dead thread. This is the only post I found regarding the waveform zoom function. I recently bought the DDJ-SX (comes in 2 days of me writing this) and I quite a bit of research before hand - specifically the software since I use VDJ. However, when I was trying the serato DJ program, I notice the zoom-out on the waveforms is very limited and no where near what VDJ has at the top. Just as the OP stated, this was one of the special functions that I enjoyed, and unfortunately, have grown to rely on. I notice there is alot of disagreements about this function, but just as Robert Hode stated, I come from the EDM community and not having this feature is actually a deal breaker for me in using the serato software.

Of course, this discussion started (and ended) for a while now. So with that said, has this feature been implemented yet or is it in the works? If not...

+1 to this feature please. Thanks.
Not_Sean 4:12 PM - 22 August, 2013
Hey man, and hey everyone, sorry I been so quiet considering I started this. First @Stuphz nope. not there
djchrisL 12:00 AM - 28 December, 2014
+1