DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

jesus christ.... 4 years?!?!?

h00vertime 12:40 AM - 21 June, 2008
yes thats how long the thread in sujestion features asking for serato to be able to give more pitch to ssl has been open. so i want to change from djdecks to something that is SUPPOSED to be industry standard but yet i am unable to because a simple feature that every other virtual djing program posseses has not been added.... despite the continued request by its users??

i really dont see the logic.
DJ Michael Basic 1:07 AM - 21 June, 2008
It isn't SUPPOSED to be the industry standard. it IS the industry standard. You want more pitch? Get some numark ttx. They go up to +-50% pitch and serato handles that just fine.
sixxx 2:55 AM - 21 June, 2008
I still don't understand the need for extra maximum super giganteous pitch...

We're DJ's... not Kanye West producing tracks with fucked up vocals.
sixxx 2:56 AM - 21 June, 2008
Btw, I have technics m5g's and the pitch goes to 16.... I don't enable that. Ever. It stays at + or - 8... and I don't pass - or + 4 EVER on any record.
djmallon 2:57 AM - 21 June, 2008
Quote:
I still don't understand the need for extra maximum super giganteous pitch...

We're DJ's... not Kanye West producing tracks with fucked up vocals.

+1.

Oh, and I enjoy strawberry ice cream.
sixxx 3:16 AM - 21 June, 2008
yummy... Strawberry Ice Cream... Soulful goodness in every bite.
OakLawnDJ 5:29 AM - 21 June, 2008
Back when I had turntables capable of +/-20%, I NEVER adjusted the pitch that much. You're probably doing something wrong as a disc jockey if you need that kind of pitch adjustment. Remix artists don't use SSL for their remixes, so if you're trying to make a dance version of something, get the proper software (i.e. Pro Tools). And why do you need SSL to be able to do it? Are you mixing straight from the laptop? Get some turntables or CD players to control the files properly...
fl0w 10:06 AM - 21 June, 2008
Quote:
Btw, I have technics m5g's and the pitch goes to 16.... I don't enable that. Ever. It stays at + or - 8... and I don't pass - or + 4 EVER on any record.

+1
Jader 2:40 PM - 21 June, 2008
stop tryin to mix lollipop with boots with the fur (low)
sixxx 6:20 PM - 21 June, 2008
lol Jader
h00vertime 1:38 AM - 22 June, 2008

its not calling for extra giganteos pitch tho is it. its just calling 4 more flexibility... n e way how many of you that have just posted mix dance music?? none i suspect, otherwise you would be arguing my point.

n yeah fucking brilliaint if you got mark 5 g's or vestax with more pitch, but if you havnt your fucked. its shit having the choice of tunes you can play being governed by how much you can speed them up

and oaklawn... im not going to dignify your post with a response as it is just irrelevant on so many levels.
OakLawnDJ 2:19 AM - 22 June, 2008
LOL Quit being pissy because you don't know how to mix. I do House/Progressive House/Techno and I see no need for more than the 8% pitch adjust that my Techs come with. And before CDJ's and quality competing turntables came out, myself and thousands of other Chicago disc jockeys were mixing dance music just fine without more pitch adjustability.
soon-2-be-ex-FS2user 2:46 AM - 22 June, 2008
?
DJ Michael Basic 2:46 AM - 22 June, 2008
I mix dance music. Want credibility? You'll see my name on the flyer for Ultra Music Fest 2008. I've NEVER EVER EVER had to move the pitch more than 8% when trying to mix dance. If I really want to play something outside of 8%, I'll use a couple songs to build my way up to it. If you're upset because you can't mix a track that's 110 bpm into your 125bpm house set, either find yourself a remix of it, or if you really really need to, go ahead and put SSL into internal mode, and all of a sudden you CAN extend past +-8%.

Be creative, don't cry about software not being able to do things for you.
dj_soo 3:25 AM - 22 June, 2008
i've started with dance music and have mixed dnb, breaks, house, etc. I've never had a need to go beyond +/- 8. There may be a track or two I wished I could push it a bit but those were few and far between. If it's that important to you, get new turntables or start using CDJs, but don't try to claim it's any form of "industry standard"
soon-2-be-ex-FS2user 4:09 AM - 22 June, 2008
Quote:
I mix dance music. Want credibility? You'll see my name on the flyer for Ultra Music Fest 2008. I've NEVER EVER EVER had to move the pitch more than 8% when trying to mix dance. If I really want to play something outside of 8%, I'll use a couple songs to build my way up to it. If you're upset because you can't mix a track that's 110 bpm into your 125bpm house set, either find yourself a remix of it, or if you really really need to, go ahead and put SSL into internal mode, and all of a sudden you CAN extend past +-8%.

Be creative, don't cry about software not being able to do things for you.

fire fire cred
Konix 5:37 AM - 22 June, 2008
I've play nothing but Techno and House for the past 10+ years and have never needed anything over +/-8.

And please, stop making these posts. I know you are used to djDecks and how Adion, the creator (whom is a great guy by the way) will basically put it what ever feature anyone asks him to in the next beta version he puts out a week later. Unfortunately, that's not how it works here or "professional" software in general works. Features will come, sure, but stuff takes time and testing, then more time, then even more testing. Serato is NOT going to put out a version next week, or next month, with this pitch offset feature just for you cause you want it and keep begging for it. It'll come when (if?) it comes.

At the VERY least, you won't see this until v1.9 as this is a pretty major feature addition, and "major" new features only get released on whole number version (1.6, 1.7, 1.8), not the smaller point versions (1.6.2, 1.7.4, 1.8.1) which are mainly for bug fixes and minor revisions/changes to current features. Currently we're at 1.8.1 now. So, given the past time line of SSL releases, v1.9 probably won't be out for a good 8-12 months, so, come back in a year's time, and even then there's no guarantee they will add this feature.

And here's the "offical" answer

scratchlive.net

Quote:

When will <Insert Feature/Version Update Here> be released, I need it really badly!

If we knew we would post a date, if no-one has posted a date we simply can't tell you. So there's no point in asking.

And they haven't posted a date. Don't get me wrong, I think a pitch offset/multiplier would be a cool feature. I wouldn't use it personally, but it'd still be nice to have. However, frankly there's many more important features/additions that need to get added first before this, and I think most here will agree to that.
dj_penguin 8:25 AM - 22 June, 2008
I mix dance music. The +/- 8% on my M3Ds has been all the pitch change I've ever had to work with, and it's never held me back.

If you want more pitch control, get a new set of decks with wider pitch range. At some point, you have to stop whining and realize that you have to pay to play. DJing is not a cheap hobby/profession/passion. I have many thousands of dollars invested in my gear and music collection, and I'm far from the only DJ on this board who can say that.

Lastly, for the love of all that is holy and good, keep the IM contractions ("n e way") off this board, please.
h00vertime 10:06 AM - 22 June, 2008
cool thats sorted then ill just fork out a load of cash for some mk5 g's only to roll up to play a set at a club thats got mk 2's. money well spent.
OakLawnDJ 11:42 AM - 22 June, 2008
Better still, learn to mix without needing more than 8% pitch adjust. If you hadn't seen the responses, there are lots of people who do just fine with 8%.
h00vertime 1:39 PM - 22 June, 2008
the fact that technics, vestax, numark ect have all released decks with a bigger pitch range would indicate that people do find it usefull, but if you say so.

tekniq 4:47 PM - 22 June, 2008
Lately i've been more and more playing with CDJ-800's because they have that selectable pitch between +-10%/+-100%. I had Numark TTX's but they were so heavy to carry around that i had to make the change.

+-10% is enough for normal playing but sometimes when i need to change for example from house to hiphop, i usually drop the house beat down to -20% (and as mentioned above by someone, SSL can handle it easily) in like 4 beats period and then bring in the hiphop-song and let them play together couple of beats. Of course this one usually needs a song with more energy than the faster song. Just for fun. :)
dj_penguin 5:03 PM - 22 June, 2008
h00vertime, nobody is attacking you as a person. We are attacking your assertion that SSL requires a pitch multiplier. First of all, a pitch multiplier would have the effect of exaggerating all the pitch bend movements (label push, platter drag, spindle twist, etc.), and it would mess with scratching performance too.

Second, DJs have been using 1200s with their 8% pitch adjustment for years now, and the whole EDM scene managed to germinate, flourish, and grow to the point it's at today with the 1200 and similar tables as the main tool to work with. Some D&B jocks and happy hardcore jocks decided that the 1200s didn't have enough pitch change, so they read the tech manuals, opened the decks up, and adjusted them to run at +/-11%. Doing that meant that their decks meant that standard 1200s weren't going to work for some of their sets, so those guys had to bring their own decks when they performed if they wanted the extra pitch range.

If turntables with a wider pitch range are what you require, buy some or adjust yours. If that means that your creativity as a DJ becomes so cramped that you just can't play on the industry standard, bring your own decks to your gigs, or switch to internal mode for the tracks where you need a wider pitch range.

Get creative, and use the tools at your disposal. It's what dance DJs have been doing since the disco era.
DJ DisGrace 5:05 PM - 22 June, 2008
a 100 bpm song played at 45 rpm magically becomes a 127 to 147 bpm song....

I'd never play an actual song this fast, but it does work for acapellas and mash ups
h00vertime 6:50 PM - 22 June, 2008
im not after a pitch multiplier im after a zero offset wich would be a piece of piss to enable and wouldnt afect anything else.

ha ha so set up your own turntables at a gig plus serato?!? ...this gets better and better.
sixxx 7:24 PM - 22 June, 2008
Quote:

ha ha so set up your own turntables at a gig plus serato?!? ...this gets better and better.

You should quit DJing now. Yes. A lot of us bring our own set ups, our mixer (57) and or mixer + SL1 because either we don't want to touch CDJ's at the club or their turntables are garbaged or malfunctioning. What's your point?

You've never heard of this?

Seems to me you're lazy or a spoil kid who wants everything done for you.

And I too have mixed House in my past years and never went + or 8.
DJ DisGrace 7:30 PM - 22 June, 2008
I prefer to use my own decks, and mixer, and monitor... even if they are only +-8% ;)
sixxx 7:40 PM - 22 June, 2008
Yeah. I have 2 sets of tables. I have 1200 MKII's and 1200M5G's. I bring either to the club. Usually the MKII's cause they're older in case something happens like someone spilling a drink, etc.
dj_penguin 8:46 PM - 22 June, 2008
Quote:
im not after a pitch multiplier im after a zero offset wich would be a piece of piss to enable and wouldnt afect anything else.

Oh, so now you're privy to the SSL source code, and you know for a fact that a pitch offset would be very simple and not affect any other part of the code.

I've done gigs where all I brought was my headphones (other folks brought the records), I've done gigs where I brought decks, mixer, cans, needles, amp, speakers, signal processing gear and a table to put it all on, and everything in between. If you're not willing to do that, you're in the wrong game. Until you hit superstar status where you can demand the gear you want on your rider, you'd better be willing to bring quality gear if it's not already there. If you're not ready to do that, you're in the wrong line of work.
s3kn0tr0n1c 8:06 AM - 23 June, 2008
it would defo be a good feature...if your happy with +/- 8 then fine but me and loads others would use an extra few percent....

doubt id ever need more than +/- 12%
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:10 PM - 23 June, 2008
Quote:
it would defo be a good feature...if your happy with +/- 8 then fine but me and loads others would use an extra few percent....

doubt id ever need more than +/- 12%

Then go old school, push the 45 button and work in the minus end of the pitch range if you feel the need for more speed.

Quote:
a 100 bpm song played at 45 rpm magically becomes a 127 to 147 bpm song....

I'd never play an actual song this fast, but it does work for acapellas and mash ups

LOL, I do this sometimes mixing House with Ghetto Tech (but not a 100 BPM song - around the 120's or so).
Steve Oh 1:24 PM - 23 June, 2008
Quote:

You must mix EDM. I have a pet goldfish that I trained to blend EDM tracks.
Crickett 3:56 PM - 23 June, 2008
Come on guys!!!

H00vertime just wants to be able to mix daft punk and jay-z together seemlessly.

100 Bpm meets 126 Bpm...
See they go together like peas and carrots!
sixxx 4:40 PM - 23 June, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

You must mix EDM. I have a pet goldfish that I trained to blend EDM tracks.

I have a pet rock that has your mixing skills.

I mix all kinds of stuff and EDM isn't one of them.... though I could. It's easy.
soon-2-be-ex-FS2user 5:22 PM - 23 June, 2008
wen da HAIL r we's gonna haves +/- infinitee petch?

is guud to does -infinitee petch mixings on Salsa Boy's - 'Crump Dat Ho'
sixxx 6:04 PM - 23 June, 2008
Bwahahahaha
Bigfourty4 7:09 PM - 23 June, 2008
Quote:
H00vertime just wants to be able to mix daft punk and jay-z together seemlessly.

He told me he was working on some top 40 remixes that would sound like alvin and the chipmunks.

Oh...Shit....someone already did that that they banked after turning it into a movie.

Hoover, you shouldn't bash anyone that brings their own gear to their weekly/monthly spot. I bring my own gear based on the fact that the place I DJ at doesn't have anything. But really...you should be bashing these people like this...Especially when those people are the ones that OWN the industry standard gear which you seem to think is a waste of money
DJ Bouj 7:10 PM - 23 June, 2008
loooool soon-2-be
dj_soo 7:26 PM - 23 June, 2008
so what i'm getting is this:

you do own the industry standard gear (tech 12s)

you want to be able to do something that the industry standard does not do (go beyond +/- 8% pitch)

you don't want to use equipment that is not the industry standard nor do you want to bring said equipment to your gigs.

and you think that this is somehow serato's fault.
h00vertime 8:21 PM - 23 June, 2008
well either you are an idiot or you miss read.

what you should get is as follows..

-i own the industry standard tech 12's

-i want to change to the industry standard vinyl emulation program from another virtual vinyl program but am relectant to because it will limit my ability to mix between genres due to pitch.

-it is a simple feature that every other program of this nature has

- the thread in feature sujestions has been open for 4 years with alot of response

-a fuck load of people on here want it and there is probably a fuckload more that are not buying serato for the same reason
Bigfourty4 8:21 PM - 23 June, 2008
Hoover

Post a Pic of your Setup

Thanks
Rob
sixxx 8:25 PM - 23 June, 2008
Quote:
-a fuck load of people on here want it and there is probably a fuckload more that are not buying serato for the same reason

O'rly?
Bigfourty4 8:25 PM - 23 June, 2008
can you give us an example of when you would use the pitch like this?
sixxx 8:26 PM - 23 June, 2008
Btw, I believe ITCH or using ScratchLive with a MIDI controller would let you do what you ask for. I could be wrong though.
h00vertime 8:50 PM - 23 June, 2008
yes sixxx, check the thread in feature sujestions.

ill go one better than that if you want n post a vid of it in action, my room is a mess tho as iv just moved house and my djm 600 is being fixed so i got my m8s crappy mixer.

...vids to follow
h00vertime 8:51 PM - 23 June, 2008
itch doesnt use vinyl controll tho does it?
sixxx 8:58 PM - 23 June, 2008
No. That's why I said ITCH or ScratchLive with a controller.
Konix 9:06 PM - 23 June, 2008
Quote:
-it is a simple feature that every other program of this nature has

Er, no. SSL doesn't have it, Torq doesn't have it, Traktor Scratch doesn't have it, Mixvibes DVS doesn't have it, and I don't think VirtualDJ has it.

djDecks is the only one the has a pitch offset/multiplier.
sixxx 9:28 PM - 23 June, 2008
Owned? I think so. Damn.
De LA 9:32 PM - 23 June, 2008
The CDJ-800s go to like 100%+ Its kinda ridiculous and anything past 10% starts to sound like shit. Just out of curiosity, say you did have the ability to have pitch offset/multiplier, what two songs out of your collection could you be able to mix better? Im kinda having a hard time grasping what good it would do... & mix both house and hip hop. If you are looking to mix a 95bpm song with a 120bpm song, it's probably not a good idea to do that anyways. lol
h00vertime 9:44 PM - 23 June, 2008
they all have more than 8% pitch though

ownage revoked.
h00vertime 9:52 PM - 23 June, 2008
and its more wich 400 songs rather than wich 2 that i could mix together

ill demonstrate soon enough
The Little Trooper 10:03 PM - 23 June, 2008
Welcome back Tony Little. Here we go.
interconnect 10:07 PM - 23 June, 2008
worst thread on the serato boards ever.
AKIEM 10:18 PM - 23 June, 2008
I thought this thread was going to be about Jesus Christ arriving for 2012 :(
SpinThis! 10:23 PM - 23 June, 2008
Quote:
Then go old school, push the 45 button and work in the minus end of the pitch range if you feel the need for more speed.

exactly. that works surprisingly well... granted you're missing a little range on each end, so speed up (or slow down) the outgoing track to match the incoming one. Problem solved. If you're going to do a stupid mashup and jack one track's pitch around, you might as well do it both tracks.

anything over 8% sounds like shit anyway and you should be using a program like Logic or Audacity or Cool Edit to speed it up (or slow it down).
sixxx 10:57 PM - 23 June, 2008
Quote:

hahahaha
sixxx 10:58 PM - 23 June, 2008
Btw... post a video h00vertime. I'd like to see what you're trying to accomplish.
john blaze 11:12 PM - 23 June, 2008
Quote:

lol
john blaze 11:13 PM - 23 June, 2008
Quote:
I'd like to see what you're trying to accomplish.

come on sixxx - cha cha slide into the cupid shuffle
dj_penguin 11:45 PM - 23 June, 2008
Quote:
they all have more than 8% pitch though

ownage revoked.

SSL does +/- 16% pitch in internal mode.
sixxx 12:06 AM - 24 June, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
I'd like to see what you're trying to accomplish.

lol
SpinThis! 4:19 AM - 24 June, 2008
cupid shuffle? that's so 2007 right? i'm sure he wants to pimp out cupid's new happy dance haha.. ;) *pukes *
DJ Brett B 5:32 AM - 24 June, 2008
Quote:

Actually there's a pretty decent transition mix of that floating around.. but yes, that wasn't the point :-P Just saying.
sweetL 12:29 PM - 26 June, 2008
Quote:

its not calling for extra giganteos pitch tho is it. its just calling 4 more flexibility... n e way how many of you that have just posted mix dance music?? none i suspect, otherwise you would be arguing my point.

n yeah fucking brilliaint if you got mark 5 g's or vestax with more pitch, but if you havnt your fucked. its shit having the choice of tunes you can play being governed by how much you can speed them up

and oaklawn... im not going to dignify your post with a response as it is just irrelevant on so many levels.

i mix everything, a lot of electronic music.

i bought decks with wide pitch.

problem solved.
sweetL 12:32 PM - 26 June, 2008
oh, and.... playing electronic music doesnt give anyone free reign to push my pitch more than 5%, unless live remixing is going on.
DeezNotes 4:04 PM - 27 June, 2008
It's still funny to me when people claim to be DJs but are reluctant to purchase or learn about a product because of one very minor detail. It leads me to believe there's something else... like they can't afford it or something.
shiestO! 4:22 PM - 27 June, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I mix all kinds of stuff and EDM isn't one of them.... though I could. It's easy.

bold statement. beatmatching house once may be one thing but the exactness it takes to do mixes smoothly with eq's and levels is something very difficult. any little fluctuation is really noticeable, where as in a hip hop mix that you hold for 4-8 bars exactness isn't exactly key. i spin drum and bass and i could pretty much guarantee i could hand you some crazy tracks you wouldn't know what the fuck to do with (edm). basically, the concept of mixing (some) edm is easy. doing it really well is not.

sorry to sound all offended, i'm actually not. but you're generalizing.
shiestO! 4:22 PM - 27 June, 2008
^i can't quote well.
DJ Young Herrera 5:43 PM - 27 June, 2008
Dude, I'm cool with serato not having more than +/- 8%...if I ever need to go higher I just spin the record with my finger real fast. Works real good too. And chicks dig it...they like to know you can do stuff real good with your finger.
dj_penguin 5:48 PM - 27 June, 2008
SSL does go past +/-8%, it does +/-16% in INT mode.
DJ Young Herrera 5:57 PM - 27 June, 2008
shhhhh.
soon-2-be-ex-FS2user 8:54 PM - 27 June, 2008
Quote:
SSL does go past +/-8%, it does +/-16% in INT mode.
ban
SpinThis! 4:57 AM - 30 June, 2008
Quote:
where as in a hip hop mix that you hold for 4-8 bars exactness isn't exactly key. i spin drum and bass and i could pretty much guarantee i could hand you some crazy tracks you wouldn't know what the fuck to do with (edm).

well said! I gotta agree with you.... I've spun D&B the last few years myself and I've seen some house and trance DJs attempt and fail miserably at it. they're usually like "how do you mix this shit?!" That's not to say they're shitty DJs... it's just not what they're used to spinning, especially at higher tempo and different rhythm patterns.
BreakBox 2:13 AM - 6 September, 2013
Honestly just because you've never had the need to go past +-8% doesn't mean other people don't need to. Stop being little pricks, be open minded. Wtf are you doing ganging up on this dude, i'm sure he got the point. I like to micro loop and mess with the pitch bending in a build, a break down, or to tease the audience. Guess most people lack creativity nowadays. For some it might not take a lot to be satisfied (Majority of the commenters here). But others, like myself and obviously h00vertime, aren't satisfied with what Serato gave us this time around.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:16 AM - 6 September, 2013
Jesus Christ.....5 years.....

To REPLY?