DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Share mixes on Social Media

jwagner 3:51 PM - 11 January, 2013
What are you guys using to share mixes with your facebook friends? Id like to just use youtube but they seem to be blocking it to be viewed from mobile devices. Soundcloud has also been really sketchy lately.

Mixcloud is okay, but what have you been using?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:06 PM - 11 January, 2013
CD's?
dj_ys 7:24 PM - 11 January, 2013
I really like TheFuture.FM. They just started a program that allows you to legally (according to them) earn royalties on your mixes.

Mixcloud and Mixcrate are cool too, I'd just say use all three. That or host on your own webspace.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:47 PM - 11 January, 2013
Quote:
I really like TheFuture.FM. They just started a program that allows you to legally (according to them) earn royalties on your mixes.

I've scanned the website and links - how is that going to work? Seems that people pay to listen to mixes and (do the) djs pay to be a part- and they pay small royalties to the artist/label...

I never saw the part about how much it costs the DJ to be a part or join?
reggae delgado 12:23 AM - 12 January, 2013
I use Mixcrate & soundcloud, as well as a mediafire type download available. Then I put those links on a blog & link my facebook, twitter, google plus, and instagram to my blog. And then I remember how much easier it was carrying around a box of tapes for sale at my gigs.
dj_ys 12:25 AM - 12 January, 2013
Quote:

I've scanned the website and links - how is that going to work? Seems that people pay to listen to mixes and (do the) djs pay to be a part- and they pay small royalties to the artist/label...

It's free to sign up as a DJ. www.thefuture.fm
dj_soo 7:09 AM - 12 January, 2013
i have a soundcloud solo account which I use to host tracks and mixes. I've never had an issue with the copyright scanning because I always start my mixes with either an intro or one of my own tunes these days.

That said, my minutes are almost full so I'll probably have to get rid of some of the mixes...
dj_ys 2:28 PM - 12 January, 2013
I think I'll put snippets of mixes on soundcloud and direct people to thefuture.fm or my own site for the full mix.

I'd rather generate revenue off of that traffic or build my own web traffic/email list than pay soundcloud to host my audio.
dj_soo 7:14 AM - 13 January, 2013
I've built a decent following on soundcloud with over 4000 followers so I'm kinda stuck for now...
dj_ys 2:56 PM - 13 January, 2013
Quote:
I've built a decent following on soundcloud with over 4000 followers so I'm kinda stuck for now...

Put the first half or so on soundcloud and say "for part two, check out my site ___.com or click the link below".

Use soundcloud to your advantage.
dj_ys 2:57 PM - 13 January, 2013
Even if you successfully push 10% to your email list, that's 400 new subscribers.
dj_soo 11:04 PM - 13 January, 2013
I do that with my own tracks and remixes but it's just to garner facebook likes at the moment - really need to set up a mailing list...
dj_ys 12:10 AM - 14 January, 2013
use tinyletter and move up to mailchimp once you get your head around it. super simple

tinyletter.com
DouggyFresh 10:06 AM - 14 January, 2013
....Or you could just host it on your own server and use a MP3 flash player link... Or shoutcast + streaming HTML5/flash. Godaddy has 150GB storage, unlimited bandwidth site hosting for under $10 a month. Why bother with soundcloud/youtube/etc....
dj_soo 12:33 PM - 14 January, 2013
you need build up the numbers on all popular social media sites. Ideally it would be best to send everyone to your personal site and subscribe to your own mail lists, but giving as many fans as possible access to your work is key in the industry today.
sixxx 2:38 PM - 14 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Put the first half or so on soundcloud and say "for part two, check out my site ___.com or click the link below".

If I were a subscriber, I would say.... Fuck this shit.

Don't do it.
dj_ys 3:59 PM - 14 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If I were a subscriber, I would say.... Fuck this shit.

Don't do it.

Just because you won't doesn't mean you shouldn't give folks the opportunity. Some will, some won't. The doper the content is, the more likely people will sign up.

It's just another way to qualify leads. Other businesses do it all the time.

Say you have 10% conversion rate for your email sign up and then 10% purchase your merch/tickets/original releases and spend an average of $50/year (a t-shirt & a couple event tix)

You'd have a sales funnel that tells you for every 1000 Soundcloud followers, you'll make $500 (from 10 people). You can increase the # of people in your funnel or improve your conversion rates (better freebies, a/b testing of your sign up wording, etc) to make more money.

Again, businesses (even artists/entertainers) do this all the time.

I guess it just depends on what you want to get out of social media. For me awareness is the priority but monetization is important as well.

There's no need to just give everything away for free without getting an email or anything in return (if you have valuable content of course).

Just my two cents.
sixxx 4:49 PM - 14 January, 2013
You're thinking like a DJ. I'm thinking like a subscriber. You're just offending the subscriber.
dj_ys 5:00 PM - 14 January, 2013
Quote:
You're thinking like a DJ. I'm thinking like a subscriber. You're just offending the subscriber.

So if I put up a dope 45 min mix and at the end said "get more here (___.com)", would then unfollow on soundcloud and not listen to any more mixes?

I get what you're saying about possibly "offending the subscriber" but I figure at worst, they won't get the 2nd half. No harm, no foul. Some will actually want it.

If you provide incentives to those people once they do sign up (the % that will) like certain exclusive mixes, early access to tickets/merch, and discounts, it'll be worth it for them to stick around.

Let's not be slaves to the listeners. It's a give & take relationship (or should be).
sixxx 5:05 PM - 14 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

So if I put up a dope 45 min mix and at the end said "get more here (___.com)", would then unfollow on soundcloud and not listen to any more mixes?

I get what you're saying about possibly "offending the subscriber" but I figure at worst, they won't get the 2nd half. No harm, no foul. Some will actually want it.

If you provide incentives to those people once they do sign up (the % that will) like certain exclusive mixes, early access to tickets/merch, and discounts, it'll be worth it for them to stick around.

Let's not be slaves to the listeners. It's a give & take relationship (or should be).

No. That's now what your originally said. You said put part of a mix then say for the rest of it go here.

Now of you're only posting a mix and saying for more mixes go here. Then that's a good strategy. What you originally posted was more like an insult. Sounded like, "here's half a dollar as you rip a dollar bill, if you want the other half you gotta do this"
dj_ys 5:16 PM - 14 January, 2013
Quote:
"Put the first half or so on soundcloud and say "for part two, check out my site ___.com or click the link below".

Let's not get caught in the minutiae of "part of a mix vs an entire mix". It's honestly an insignificant difference.

The point is use the mix to take traffic from social media sites to your own channels.

Take from it what you'd like.
sixxx 5:32 PM - 14 January, 2013
But it isn't. Again, you're thinking like a DJ and I'm thinking like a consumer.
Now if you in fact have more mixes in another place, it makes it more appealing. But will you not be posting any more mixes on sound cloud after that?

You gotta think about these things. I think it's really best to have your mixes in one place (your website) and only use social media to post the links to these mixes.
dj_ys 5:37 PM - 14 January, 2013
My point is this:

Record a mix.
Post a part (1st part, snippet, whatever you'd like) to your mix sharing site of preference.
Use a drop or the description and announce for the whole thing, join my mailing list.
Rinse.
Repeat.

Take what you'd like from that model and do what works for you.
sixxx 6:21 PM - 14 January, 2013
Don't get mad.
dj_ys 6:43 PM - 14 January, 2013
Just trying to have productive discussion. Things got derailed by minor details so I tried to drive home the main point.
Dj Shamann 6:45 PM - 14 January, 2013
I think you definitely want to drive traffic back to your HQ, I use Mixcloud, and then leave a link in the description to my website to download. When they click the link they don't have to enter an email addy or anything, but a "tweet or facebook it" pop up comes and when they share, it automatically downloads. This would work for you since you want to share with FB friends.

My problem is my lack of updating my official site, we're all so worried about social media these days that I never bother putting up flyers, updates etc on my own site.

I think dj_ys is right about retaining your demographic, but Sixxx has a point about annoying your potential follower. I get annoyed when I have to jump through hoops just to check out somebody's work.

But if I'm getting something for free I should expect to show at least a little support in return.

The Mixcloud thing works for me, but as I said I could stand to be a little more proactive with it.
CMOS 6:49 PM - 14 January, 2013
As a consumer if i have to sign up for something new to hear your mix, that shit gets X'ed quick.
Dj Shamann 6:50 PM - 14 January, 2013
Quote:
As a consumer if i have to sign up for something new to hear your mix, that shit gets X'ed quick.

When I have to enter info just to hear the shit, fuck that.
CMOS 6:51 PM - 14 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

When I have to enter info just to hear the shit, fuck that.

zactly
Logisticalstyles 7:43 PM - 14 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

It's free to sign up as a DJ. www.thefuture.fm

I've been with them for a while, but I can't get past 8 uploads. At first I thought you had to wait a while, but it's been over 6 months. I kinda lost interest and moved on to mixcrate. I did get the email about royalties and I emailed them back but never got a reply.
dj_soo 3:21 AM - 15 January, 2013
Quote:
My problem is my lack of updating my official site, we're all so worried about social media these days that I never bother putting up flyers, updates etc on my own site.

this right here. I really need to hire someone to manage all my updates for me - too bad I don't make enough to justify it right now...
reggae delgado 4:56 AM - 15 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

this right here. I really need to hire someone to manage all my updates for me - too bad I don't make enough to justify it right now...

yeah that would be nice. Also no guarantee what it's actually worth....
dj_ys 4:57 AM - 15 January, 2013
Ever do a posting schedule? You have to stick to it for it to be effective of course but it helps.
reggae delgado 5:04 AM - 15 January, 2013
Quote:
Ever do a posting schedule? You have to stick to it for it to be effective of course but it helps.

I kind of try doing this for my blog, but I struggle since sometimes I just don't have anything to say.
I do use "Hootsuite" to schedule twitter & facebook posts promoting various events or mixes. This helps a lot, I can schedule dozens of tweets etc while watchin sports.
Dj Shamann 10:27 AM - 15 January, 2013
Quote:

In essence that would be the way, but I never seem to be able to commit to that. I've come up with all kinds of great ideas for ways to create scheduled content for my listeners/readers but something always gets in the way of my timeline.

I didn't do a resolution this year, I had a pretty good year in 2012 in terms of certain aspects of the business, so for 2013 I decided to just amp it up a notch and try to be even more proactive than I was last year.
dj_ys 3:48 PM - 15 January, 2013
Maybe scale back your expectations?

Try to post once a week or every two weeks. Something easier to stick to.