Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Quantize for Slicer, Hot Cues, loops, Sampler, Needle search

Dave The One 3:35 PM - 7 January, 2013
I'd like a Quantize function for the slicer, hot cues, sampler and needle search.

Simple, you can just turn it on or off; midi assignable...

This would be a great help.
XRM5 4:24 PM - 7 January, 2013
I thought the slicer is always quantized?

It is in Itch.
Dave The One 10:04 PM - 7 January, 2013
I have a perfectly beatgridded track and when slice is engaged and I begin to play the slices it sounds messy.
Dave The One 10:06 PM - 7 January, 2013
Anyway, snap/quantize function in Traktor is Aces; I want this function in Serato Dj.
XRM5 10:46 PM - 7 January, 2013
Are you tweaking the quantized interval?

On Itch you hold shift & drag the search strip.

Don't know what it is in SDJ.

My main problem w/the Slicer quantize is that you can't turn it off.
readydestroy 10:58 PM - 12 January, 2013
I agree @Dave The One! Traktor's snap/quantize like functionality is missing from Serato DJ.
I'm keeping my fingers cross that it will be coming soon. It seems like every other DJ system has this function also.
djelover 2:16 AM - 20 January, 2013
Quote:
I'd like a Quantize function for the slicer, hot cues, sampler and needle search.

Simple, you can just turn it on or off; midi assignable...

This would be a great help.

+1000
DJSK1978 2:41 PM - 21 January, 2013
+1 Quantize, quantize, QUANTIZE!!!! REALLY NEED THIS!!!!
Dave The One 4:12 PM - 21 January, 2013
This is a good example of the quantize feature that is available on the cdj 2000 nexus

Watchwww.youtube.com
Dave The One 4:51 PM - 21 January, 2013
Explained here

From Traktor Manual
Excerpt:
The Master panel contains the MAIN knob, which controls the overall volume of TRAKTOR, and the Snap (S) and Quantize (Q) buttons. They are lit blue when active.

And here
www.djtechtools.com

excerpt:

QUANTIZE

There is another function in Traktor that behaves like SYNC but is very different. Quantize is a helpful tool, but must be fully understood to get consistent results.

QUANT: This master function locks the phase of all decks.
HOW TO USE: Click the Q button in the center master section.

TIP: Both quantize and SYNC have essentially quantized the songs to each other making all beat jumps stay perfectly in time. This is very beneficial if you have a live mix playing on the speakers and need to jump to a new part of the song. With quantize on all timeline jumps will stay perfectly in time and the crowd will never miss a beat.

When to use: If you use tempo or phase sync but still want further beat jumps and cue juggles to stay locked in then turn quantize on.
SNAP

To the left of quantize is another misunderstood function. This button tells Traktor to snap cue points, and loops to the beat, this means the songs beats (if a beat grid is not present) or the beat grid if you have created one. With snap on, the cue point drops will always fall on the down beat. This can be helpful if your grid is perfect and everything should be on the one but it is very annoying when trying to set a beat grid for the first time.
Dave The One 4:52 PM - 21 January, 2013
^
From the Traktor Manual

With Snap mode on, any Cue Point you create in the track will snap to the closest beat, thus
ensuring that you get directly to that beat next time you press the Hotcue.
With Quantize mode on, whenever you jump through the track (e.g., by pressing a Hotcue button
or clicking somewhere in the Overview waveform), the playback jumps to the nearest position
that preserves the beat-matching, thus, ensuring that the current sync doesn’t get lost
when you jump through the track.
DJ-Rodrigo 6:15 AM - 31 July, 2013
Quote:
+1 Quantize, quantize, QUANTIZE!!!! REALLY NEED THIS!!!!

+ 1!! Asp plz
benn low kill 8:01 PM - 31 July, 2013
+1
Draven1327 3:43 PM - 1 August, 2013
+1 sounds interesting
Patrick Dee 4:41 PM - 1 August, 2013
I am also a Traktor user and I would like to see these features in Serato DJ:)

+1000
Dave The One 3:54 PM - 9 September, 2013
+10,000
Joe Moore 6:03 PM - 17 September, 2013
+1
Davmix 8:16 PM - 17 September, 2013
Snap is annonced on 1.5. Great news
DJ-Rodrigo 9:18 PM - 17 September, 2013
Quote:
Snap is annonced on 1.5. Great news

Great news! At least it will help with creativity :-D
DJ GrimeTime 5:23 AM - 18 September, 2013
I see 'Snap to beatgrid' as an added option, but that isn't quite the same as the 'Snap' function in Traktor as far as I can tell.

If SeratoDJ has actually implemented a 'Snap' function then there is literally nothing holding me back from fully embracing a switch in software.
viper9711 10:05 PM - 23 September, 2013
+100
DJ-Rodrigo 10:38 PM - 23 September, 2013
I changed over to traktor cause I need this functions. And also custom midi for my controller
Dave The One 12:44 AM - 1 October, 2013
Where in the announcement of 1.5 was snap announced?
Kenno 10:34 AM - 30 January, 2014
I totally agree quantize and snap are two essential functions that Serato DJ is missing. I have been using two Traktor controllers the S2 and also Z2 and have recently purchased a DDJ SX. I was prepared to invest time getting to know Serato DJ and have spent a good 15+ hours getting to know the controller and Serato DJ. With the release of the Traktor mapping of the DDJ SX I have reverted back to using Traktor on the DDJ SX.

Further more with the announcement of the new Serato controller by Poineer, the DDJ SZ I would purchase this as soon as they became available in Australia however will hold off for one of two things to happen. Either Serato introduce quantize and snap like feature or there is an official mapping for Traktor to be used with the DDJ SZ.
Konix 4:52 PM - 30 January, 2014
In case you haven't heard, Quantize has been added in 1.6, and in fact, you can actually set the quantize value to 1/2 beat, 1 beat, 2 beats, or 4 beats.
Kenno 6:00 PM - 30 January, 2014
Hey Konix, that's great news. With this feature added I'll certainly be giving Serato DJ software more of my time to get to understand it better.
Dave The One 4:13 PM - 4 February, 2014
Ok so they added it but it only goes down to half a beat. Which doesn't make it to useful if you juggle/reslice on the fly; 1/4 of a beat might be more useful; down to 1/16 would be great.

Doesn't seem to work when slice mode is engaged. And when sync is enabled the second track doesn't snap properly. They need to work on this.

We need Quantizing across the board; for Hot Cue, Slice, Sampler and needle search just like traktor. And mor than 1/2 beat quantizing to make it useful.

I'm pretty good without the quantize but it'd be great to take my 80-90 percent success when juggling to 100 percent.
Dave The One 9:37 PM - 4 February, 2014
Correction; Quantize works as requested.....

My apologies I've been redoing beat maps all day; what looks good to the eye wasn't necessarily correct. I'm happy to report that everything appears to be working as expected. Once the tracks are correctly beatmapped the quantize seems to snap with the needle search perfectly no matter if i use the mouse or my finger across the needle search on the ddj-sx. i've set cue points to begin on a snare just before the kick drum for the part i want and that too works perfectly. Quantize snap also works on the second and 3rd and 4th tracks also.

What threw me off was a track that looked perfectly mapped (by site) and it wasn't or it was a track with lazy or off grid snares; some adjustment allowed me to offset and perfectly match. When doing it with other than the main track pressing sync to make sure it stays lined up seems to help before floating with the needle search.

Once again my apologies. It works on the slicer too (when using sync too)
Shakie 6:12 AM - 6 February, 2014
Please male it possible to quantize with ¼ beat.
tillard 3:56 PM - 6 February, 2014
Would be nice if quantize worked with the start buttons too :)
Dave The One 4:52 PM - 6 February, 2014
It does. You have to press the sync button on the deck that you want, when u don't press sync or the last sync operation was on another deck, it throws off what ur trying to do on the current deck
tillard 5:14 PM - 6 February, 2014
I'm aware u can quantize after with the sync button after u have started the track but on traktor when u hit start the tune will be quantized immediately. Always handy if u need to drop the next tune in quickly.
easyG 4:25 PM - 8 February, 2014
Quote:
I'm aware u can quantize after with the sync button after u have started the track but on traktor when u hit start the tune will be quantized immediately. Always handy if u need to drop the next tune in quickly.

+1
DJSK1978 8:40 PM - 8 August, 2014
Yeah the snapping of the quantize still needs work. The grids should never be misaligned if quantize is enabled.
Mr Wilks 1:22 PM - 11 August, 2014
Quote:

+1

I've asked for this before and they suggested I make a request for "launch quantization".

From memory, the only things that are quantized are cue points (loops already was).

If you want to launch the play button on beat (quantized) then you have to arm it with smart sync first then hit play. This works, so why can't it be included for the play button without smart sync?
Mr Wilks 1:26 PM - 11 August, 2014
Martin C commented here when 1.6 was released.

serato.com
DJSK1978 6:01 PM - 11 August, 2014
That's great. Glad to see that they are looking into this.