DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

CV JE earthquake vs. B-52 Lx18 folded horn

Dj P.Republik 6:26 AM - 16 June, 2008
www.musiciansfriend.com
www.musiciansfriend.com

who's got the better sound?
Dj P.Republik 6:29 AM - 16 June, 2008
...and which power amp will match it?
DJDiablo 1:00 PM - 16 June, 2008
I personally would go with the Jr. Earthquake. We had just 1 at a club I used to play it and the bass was insane....with just 1 for the whole club.

As for an amp, I'd recommend a Crown or QSC that you can bridge. Look for an amp about 10% - 20% more powerful than the speakers you're running. The reason being as you crank it up, most amps will start to become slightly distorted as they approach their 100% limits. On top of that, most good speakers are slightly underrated.

600 watt amp at 80% power (500 watts) is going to sound better than a 500 watt at its limit.

Good Luck...
DJDiablo 1:02 PM - 16 June, 2008
"""600 watt amp at 80% power (500 watts)"""

My math is all wacky....it's like 83.33% but you get the idea. :)
dj_elite 7:52 PM - 16 June, 2008
Haven't heard either but I've rocked w/ many of the original earthquakes and they're absolutely beast... duno about CV since they got bought out by stanton.

DJ Diablo is right on point with amp power... even more for subs actually. i usually run 1.2-1.5x the amp power for subs.
Dj P.Republik 8:15 PM - 16 June, 2008
CV got bought out by stanton? so you think the newer models of the earthquakes are not as good as the original ones?
DJ Dynamite - NJ 11:07 PM - 16 June, 2008
CV hands down, why would you even consider B-52's. Cheap garbage if you ask me
Julls 11:39 PM - 16 June, 2008
Easy choice...B-52 DUH!!!

Seriously, B-52 makes a great product. If you get the LX-18 and a LX-18A you will have some massive bass!!!
dj_elite 3:04 AM - 17 June, 2008
CV got bought out by stanton a few years back. i haven't heard any of their post-buyout equipment.

Quote:

Cerwin-Vega is a manufacturing company that produces professional audio components, home audio speakers, and car audio components. It is part of the Stanton Group, along with Stanton Magnetics and KRK, (a professional audio division focused on quality studio/recording speakers).

source: en.wikipedia.org

Quote:
CV hands down, why would you even consider B-52's. Cheap garbage if you ask me

what are you on? i haven't heard the folded horn, but the direct radiating one- the ACT-18 powered/slave units absolutely pump. the Matrix 1000/2000 systems are also a favorite of this and several other DJ boards I'm a member of.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 4:18 AM - 17 June, 2008
just my personal opinion. Not feelin B-52's. I got a couple CV subs and I love them
Dj BuddyLove 8:41 AM - 17 June, 2008
the EAW LA400's are AWSOME!!
www.musiciansfriend.com
Certified Quality Entertainment 1:27 PM - 17 June, 2008
Here is a great tool for anyone looking to buy speakers and amps.

Its on the QSC site. I have Crown amps now but have had QSC in the past and I absolutly love them. This is a great tool for matching up speakers and amps. Even if you don't get QSC it still gives you a good idea on what kind of power you need. And from looking at this I am underpowering my subs by a lot!! lol

Great tool though..enjoy

www.qsc.com
Dj P.Republik 8:48 PM - 17 June, 2008
thnks guys! & CQE, that really is a great tool! made my life easier. i gotta ask you though.. is there any reason why you've switch from QSC to CROWN?
Certified Quality Entertainment 11:53 PM - 17 June, 2008
Honestly no reason. I started off using a QSC amp. Lasted me a long long time. I actually still use it for home use cuz 1 channel is kinda in and out (although I just think I need new wires lol). I just happen to get good deals on the crown amps from a local dealer. Got one off a friend of mine cheap. I bought another one that actually went out at a gig. Had it maybe 3 months. Got a weird ass echo effect coming out of it. It was brand new so I don't know what happend, so I kinda lost a little confidence in Crown but all my other stuff has been fine. I got that 1 amp fixed and its been fine since.
DJ_STEVE 1:44 AM - 19 June, 2008
I was also looking into getting some new bass bottoms. My guy i go to in so cal told me that B 52's are garbage and that the new cv bass bottoms are made in china and that they just slap the name cv on them. CV was bought out by stanton and that stanton closed down there warehouse in simi valley. He told me not to buy any new cv's because the qaulity is bad. I push 1 jbl sr4718x bottom and he told me thats good enough. He recommends 1 bottom to 2 highs. I was willing to spend the money on a couple new bottoms but he talked me out of spending money so I know he wasnt lying to me.
DJDiablo 12:33 PM - 19 June, 2008
If he had to chose between the VCs or the B52s, CVs.

I like the CVs but my cup-o-tea is JBL or EV. I have a set of EV SXA100+ tops.
FU_PAY_ME 10:45 PM - 30 June, 2008
First off both of those subs are freaking HUGE!!!! (no homo)

So know what your getting into when your buying huge subs. Large subs take up alot of space, you will need a truck for transporting them (that's if your doing mobil work). So if you want big bass I suggest you get the B-52 act18's. They're powered which means you won't need to carry amps. Mackie also makes a good large sub.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 1:02 AM - 1 July, 2008
Quote:
First off both of those subs are freaking HUGE!!!! (no homo)

So know what your getting into when your buying huge subs. Large subs take up alot of space, you will need a truck for transporting them (that's if your doing mobil work). So if you want big bass I suggest you get the B-52 act18's. They're powered which means you won't need to carry amps. Mackie also makes a good large sub.

hhhmmmm...If you're talkin about powered subs I'd say the QSC's are better. I went to pick up a set of the Mackies 18's but while I was at GC I listened to them and the QSC's. Needless to say the QSC 15's blew them out the water. Plus they have 6 year factory warranty. You can't beat that!
FU_PAY_ME 9:06 PM - 1 July, 2008
Your right about them QSC's, I just mentioned the B-52's because I thought we were talking Huge subs at a cheap price. Personally if it was me looking to score a pair of subs I too would get the qsc's or a pair of Yorkville nx720's because of the small size and large sound, that's because I do mobile.

Before we all started to suggest speakers for Dj P.Republik we should have asked would he be needing these subs for a large club/bar or for mobile gigs. And what's his price range

So with that said I would buy qsc, yorkville, and mackie powered subs for mobile gigs and if your looking to add some bass at a small size club.

For a larger club I would go with jbl srx subs or larger yorkville subs. But all this
Dj P.Republik 11:59 PM - 1 July, 2008
Thanks for all your suggestions i appreciate it 4real! But to answer your question FU_PAY_ME YEs i'm looking for a sub that will cover a large venue/large crowd, size & price is not a problem. i want the best concert sound like. thanks again
Julls 12:06 AM - 2 July, 2008
*cough *cough...LX-18
Dj P.Republik 2:28 AM - 2 July, 2008
Damn JULLS this is really looks like a chest-thumping subs,hard & mean looking that's what im talkin bout! BAAM! i need to hear it to believe it.tnx Julls!
www.musiciansfriend.com
Julls 2:51 AM - 2 July, 2008
I use a LX-18 with a LX-18A all the time, man these bad boys thump...HARD!!!

Now mind you, I don't have a problem transporting them because I have a trailer that I tow with my truck.
DJ GaFFle 10:25 AM - 2 July, 2008
Quote:
Damn JULLS this is really looks like a chest-thumping subs,hard & mean looking that's what im talkin bout! BAAM! i need to hear it to believe it.tnx Julls!
www.musiciansfriend.com

They forgot the pole mount. :-(
Lynn Sound Systems 12:25 PM - 2 July, 2008
This is where that Chest thumping bass can come from if you dont mind a big box, Big Box=Big bass In most cases. I Myself prefer passive boxes I have seen too many internal amp boxes go down for one reason or another and from that point your striaght up screwed, What do you do??? And carrying around and xta speaker or sub then having to swap it in the middle of the event ,,, Not what i want to do ,,, If you use pasive boxes and Seperate amps you have options, Like have an extra amp (Alot smaller than an extra speaker) in the rack you can switch to, or if your runnig 1 amp per box in mono (the way i run it) you could switch the one still operating to stereo mode and have both speakers back up and running. I Usually carry 4-5 amps with me so I have never had problems , Actually come to think of it I use Crown Thats a major reason i have no problems. I also have found that with active speakers you have to run more power cords , 2 cables to each box rather than 1 not too bad if you never spread out your speakers but i have had plenty of places that i spread them wide to distribute the sound more evenly.

www.b-52pro.com
LX-1818V2
DUAL 18" PASSIVE FOLDED HORN SUBWOOFER
The B-52 LX-1818 V2 takes the traditional folded horn design to the next level. It is built to withstand the abuse of the road and is backed by a lifetime cabinet construction warranty. Two internal compression chambers provide intense, clean and controlled bass. At the heart of the LX-1818 V2 are two new B-52 18-200X subwoofers with a cast-aluminum frames, massive 200 oz magnets, double spider anti-rocking surround and innovative 4” dual-layered, tempered voice coils.
Dj P.Republik 3:54 PM - 2 July, 2008
Good point LLS, You are absolutely right. thanks!
Dj P.Republik 4:06 PM - 2 July, 2008
Hey LSS do you use DISTROBOX on your gigs?
Lynn Sound Systems 5:09 PM - 2 July, 2008
Depends on where Im Playing, If there is a panel to tie it into I use a 100 amp single Phase Panel, gets the Job done, I have 4 crown XTi4000's for the PA and 1 XS 1200 for the monitor speakers. If no place to tie in I Carry alot of heavy gauge cords up to 100' that can reach to alot of different outlets.
katalyst34243 7:46 PM - 8 October, 2013
I play in a band as well as DJ with all B-52 equipment. I swear by it. Heard B-52, and was instantly sold, that's all I've bought since. I own a pair of lx-18's. One active, one passive. They have never once been powered up and haven't gotten the wow factor. They pump harder than any sub I've ever heard. Don't plan on using em inside small places, you will cause structural damage. I have played outdoor shows in front of 5000 people and you can walk 300 yards away and still feel the kick drum beating your face in. Best speakers and subs sold. Whoever calls them cheap obviously hasn't done their research, as they most certainly are not. If size is an issue, then think twice, cuz these things are twice as big as they look. Weigh probably 350 lbs each. Definitely not compact. But, they will blow you away.
DJ GaFFle 11:20 PM - 8 October, 2013
300 yards away with 5000 people... Impressive!

:-/
Joee 11:46 PM - 8 October, 2013
Quote:
I have played outdoor shows in front of 5000 people and you can walk 300 yards away and still feel the kick drum beating your face in.

so out doors & three fields away and you can still feel the bass hitting you in the face.......hmmmmmm? the B-52 sounds like the best sub woofer on the planet

even better than DJ GaFFle DANLEY TH118, i think it's time to sell you danley's gaf, you did say you want your bass to shake walls............tom danley better watch out......lol

HMMMMMMMMM??????----> Watchwww.youtube.com
Joee 11:47 PM - 8 October, 2013
fields away= football fields away
Joee 11:55 PM - 8 October, 2013
another thing, you do realize that the b52lx18 is a copy of the CV JE earthquake
pdidy 11:58 PM - 8 October, 2013
Im gonna start getting all my speaker info from katalyst34243, this guy knows his shit......lol
pdidy 12:00 AM - 9 October, 2013
And why did he dig up a 5 year old thread for his first post......hmmmm
pdidy 12:02 AM - 9 October, 2013
Quote:
another thing, you do realize that the b52lx18 is a copy of the CV JE earthquake

That would be correct and neither are "true" horn subs..
Joee 12:08 AM - 9 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

That would be correct and neither are "true" horn subs..

man FU@K THAT sell your jbl vrk918sp's i'm puting a add on CL right now cause these B52's are the truth son
Joee 12:09 AM - 9 October, 2013
Quote:
And why did he dig up a 5 year old thread for his first post......hmmmm

all i can think is he must own stock in the company.......lol
katalyst34243 12:09 AM - 9 October, 2013
Geez, tough crowd. Fuckers.
Joee 12:12 AM - 9 October, 2013
Quote:

o so you were joking?........in that case haaahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa
Joee 12:14 AM - 9 October, 2013
haaaahahahaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaha
aaaaaaaahhhhhhaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaa
hhhhhhhaaaaaahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

my stomach hurts it's so FUNNY hhhhhhhahahaaaaaaahahahhaaaaaaaaa
pdidy 12:27 AM - 9 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

o so you were joking?........in that case haaahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa

Naaa, I think dude was serious but didn't realize there were speaker professionals around here....;)
dj_craigmac 12:33 AM - 9 October, 2013
OK i'm old but what i do know is CV L36 in my ear still has the 2nd best bass i ever heard.
the best bass i heard was some subs that i had never heard of before, they're called "ORBIT SHIFTERS". I went to a party in chicago and heard them... UNBELIEVABLE !!! Bass hits so hard it hurt
Joee 12:43 AM - 9 October, 2013
man the best bass i ever heard was the beats pill, the bass shock my pocket it was awesome

had me thinking i could get like ten of them to dj, i'll be killing it
DJ'Que 2:44 AM - 9 October, 2013
the best I heard was meyer sound lab and servo subwoofers that grand ave in downtown la uses. but did he say B52 (Blow 52 times) is the best subwoofer. lmao pure amateur.
the_black_one 3:26 AM - 9 October, 2013
I'm getting rid of my 4 yorkies ASAP!!!!
B-52 here I come

NM NH
damehype 7:54 AM - 9 October, 2013
Quote:
OK i'm old but what i do know is CV L36 in my ear still has the 2nd best bass i ever heard.
the best bass i heard was some subs that i had never heard of before, they're called "ORBIT SHIFTERS". I went to a party in chicago and heard them... UNBELIEVABLE !!! Bass hits so hard it hurt

Orbit Shifters are the truth. JTR speakers are great. You were probably at one of B-Man's parties.
DJ GaFFle 8:04 AM - 9 October, 2013
I think B-Man runs 4 of those Orbit Shifters. (nm)
DJ Nightmare Productions 7:27 PM - 25 November, 2013
300 yards away huh? LOL
DJ Remix Detroit 9:33 PM - 25 November, 2013
Quote:
I play in a band as well as DJ with all B-52 equipment. I swear by it. Heard B-52, and was instantly sold, that's all I've bought since. I own a pair of lx-18's. One active, one passive. They have never once been powered up and haven't gotten the wow factor. They pump harder than any sub I've ever heard. Don't plan on using em inside small places, you will cause structural damage. I have played outdoor shows in front of 5000 people and you can walk 300 yards away and still feel the kick drum beating your face in. Best speakers and subs sold. Whoever calls them cheap obviously hasn't done their research, as they most certainly are not. If size is an issue, then think twice, cuz these things are twice as big as they look. Weigh probably 350 lbs each. Definitely not compact. But, they will blow you away.

where's a 3 stooges face palm when you need one?
pdidy 9:36 PM - 25 November, 2013
t3.gstatic.com
Quote:
Quote:

t3.gstatic.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:07 AM - 28 November, 2013
Quote:
300 yards away huh? LOL

That's 3 (count 'em0 football fields......

mmmmkay....
DJ Remix Detroit 12:34 PM - 28 November, 2013
Quote:
t3.gstatic.com
Quote:
Quote:

t3.gstatic.com

lmao...thnx bruh