DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

what are u doing to stand out as a DJ and not just a sync junkie

DJ CUTLOOSE 11:04 AM - 3 January, 2013
Easy Guys, just wandered what you think of the DJ scene now auto sync is available on most digital DJ software?
I'm hearing DJs who I know full well were clashing beats and couldn't even time up an acappella over a simple beat,who are now seemlessly mixing tracks thru their whole set with no clash.
Ive been DJing since the 80s and I've been scratching since then too. Been on scratch live for around 5 years with my sl1210'sso my sets are full of creativity and variety.
Last year I lost out on some gigs cus promoters didn't have room for my coffin with my decks and mixer in. So I was thinking of learning to play on cdjs for the gigs I was loosing and maybe investing in a DDJ SX as they are easy to take to gigs when I can't use my decks.
Only worry is.....what us gonna make me different from all the other DJs who are hoping on the sync bandwagon? And will it actually be a step back and will I lose my identity as a DJ
The whole sync has me worries about the direction DJing will go in especially when it's already saturated with laptop DJs.?
So what are you DJs doing to set yourself apart from the rest or are you just following the next man, I'd be interested to hear your views and experiences
DJ Cutloose ?
dj_soo 11:08 AM - 3 January, 2013
keep scratching at least - you can still do it on cdjs and controllers but it takes getting used to.

To stand out, I'm doing production these days...
Thundercat 1:04 PM - 3 January, 2013
I don't do anything special to stand out. I just let my selections work for me. If you ask those that do follow me what I do, they might tell you I play all the wrong versions of songs (I don't do it on purpose, I just play the versions I like). Or that sometimes I go completely off the reservation...kinda like "I don't know WTF he's doing but it sure sounds good." I do mix in a bit of my own work too. Yeah I can scratch my ass off, but so can a million other DMC hopefuls. And I can mix two records together as effortlessly as any beat rider. And in this information age, trying to find music that nobody else has, the days of being the only DJ in the area with that new fire is long gone. I just do me and hope someone else wants to listen in.
PorkyG 1:16 PM - 3 January, 2013
If you're good on the mic and can put together a good set no one cares whether you sync or not, a good mic presence will go a long way but having the gift of gab is not something everyone is born with it's developed or at least I developed mine growing up in the 80's and hanging on the streets in Manhattan.

I use turntables.
DJ CUTLOOSE 1:28 PM - 3 January, 2013
Fantastic replies keep them coming, I'm really interested in what u guys have to say
Thank u
PorkyG 1:41 PM - 3 January, 2013
If you're not already doing this, it'll help also. Take one weekend out of a month and go watch other DJ's perform, I'm not saying cop their style but see if they are doing something you could incorporate, change and make it your own.

I like to see what other DJ's come up with and every once and awhile I see something that I could change into my own thing. Least of all you get to hear some good music (sometimes).
phatbob 2:00 PM - 3 January, 2013
The great myth of sync is that it gives DJs all this extra time.

A competent beatmixer can lock in the pitch for their next mix in what, 10-20 seconds?

Then when you actually perform the mix, you're still doing what you did before, adjusting the levels and EQs for a smooth blend.

Even if you're using full-on smart sync, you might not have to baby-sit the pitches, but you still have to be listening, adjusting phase if the grids are slightly off. And you still have to drop the next track on phrase.

And using simple sync, the only thing that's matched is the bpm; you still have to drop on beat, and pitch bend using the platters to keep everything locked.

A DJ using sync who doesn't understand song structure, key and EQing will still be worse than a DJ who uses sync but DOES understand those things.

Where sync comes into it's own is when you're dealing with multiple decks, and synced samples. And it's not so much a time thing, as much as having that extra hand free to do other things at the same time.

On my DDJ-SX I like to have drum loops or acapellas loaded up in decks 3&4; supplementing what's playing or teasing the crowd with snippets of a big tune that's coming up.

Alternatively, I have a scratch sentence on deck 3, which I'm ready to take control of at the push of a single button; even whilst 2 or 3 other decks are playing.

It also means as a video DJ I've got that extra hand free to activate video FX and stuff too.

All of this can be done manually, of course. But sync makes it easier to achieve out there in the real world, when you're not locked in the lab but focused on rocking a dancefloor.

Sync isn't for everyone, clearly. And contrary to what you might read on this forum, it is NOT a replacement for skill and technique.

But if you embrace it as a part of your toolkit, it can be very powerful.

And the beauty of it is, you don't have to use it. If you never hit the sync button, it's like it doesn't exist. Plenty of controller users mix by ear and are perfectly happy doing so; in the same way that many SL users play in Absolute mode and never use cues or loops. Totally up to you.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:35 PM - 3 January, 2013
Im looking into a spiderman mask and silly string web shooters....bitches love silly string
PorkyG 2:43 PM - 3 January, 2013
Quote:
bitches love silly string

If that's what they call it when they're with you... LOL
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:45 PM - 3 January, 2013
Lol
djbigmark 5:18 PM - 3 January, 2013
Quote:
Easy Guys, just wandered what you think of the DJ scene now auto sync is available on most digital DJ software?
I'm hearing DJs who I know full well were clashing beats and couldn't even time up an acappella over a simple beat,who are now seemlessly mixing tracks thru their whole set with no clash.
Ive been DJing since the 80s and I've been scratching since then too. Been on scratch live for around 5 years with my sl1210'sso my sets are full of creativity and variety.
Last year I lost out on some gigs cus promoters didn't have room for my coffin with my decks and mixer in. So I was thinking of learning to play on cdjs for the gigs I was loosing and maybe investing in a DDJ SX as they are easy to take to gigs when I can't use my decks.
Only worry is.....what us gonna make me different from all the other DJs who are hoping on the sync bandwagon? And will it actually be a step back and will I lose my identity as a DJ
The whole sync has me worries about the direction DJing will go in especially when it's already saturated with laptop DJs.?
So what are you DJs doing to set yourself apart from the rest or are you just following the next man, I'd be interested to hear your views and experiences
DJ Cutloose ?

Really I thought this subject was dead long time ago. Who cares about SYNC BUTTON? its a tool like any other tool you can use it or not. Just keep doing what your doing. Dj's hate other DJ's for no reason, nobody cares what the hell you play on just as long as you play their song.
TelosHedge 6:18 PM - 3 January, 2013
i just keep learning. not in vein of the sync button, just to deepen my roots.

while i've been looking at my turntablism from a new point of view, i've been spending most of my time learning the real accurate history of the whole art of djing, before it was even technically an art. i'm watching grand wizard theodore on youtube. i'm reading up on why each scratch is called what it is, and where it originated from. i'm experimenting with mixing in old styles and techniques. i'm using rekordbox to lose the screens. i'm buying vinyl to lose every sense of what i felt was comfortable and mixing that way. i'm in video chats watching other guys who are way better than me cut and juggle WITHOUT EGO.

i can't turn the clock back and go back to the 70s and 80s, carrying crates around to discos - but i can at least do as much as possible to try and experience all the things those guys did to eliminate any notion of looking like a joke for my crowd, my colleagues, and myself.

it's true - i started on CDJs for a year, and then went to DVS with those cdj's. i was never forced to spin on turntables. i was never forced to spin on rackmount cd systems. but i won't be labeled a microwave dj just because i came up in that time period - i didnt have a choice as to when i came up, but i do have a choice in knowing where i came up from, and why it all is what is now.
DJ CUTLOOSE 6:47 PM - 3 January, 2013
Quote:

while i've been looking at my turntablism from a new point of view, i've been spending most of my time learning the real accurate history of the whole art of djing, before it was even technically an art. i'm watching grand wizard theodore on youtube. i'm reading up on why each scratch is called what it is, and where it originated from. i'm experimenting with mixing in old styles and techniques. i'm using rekordbox to lose the screens. i'm buying vinyl to lose every sense of what i felt was comfortable and mixing that way. i'm in video chats watching other guys who are way better than me cut and juggle WITHOUT EGO.

i can't turn the clock back and go back to the 70s and 80s, carrying crates around to discos - but i can at least do as much as possible to try and experience all the things those guys did to eliminate any notion of looking like a joke for my crowd, my colleagues, and myself.

it's true - i started on CDJs for a year, and then went to DVS with those cdj's. i was never forced to spin on turntables. i was never forced to spin on rackmount cd systems. but i won't be labeled a microwave dj just because i came up in that time period - i didnt have a choice as to when i came up, but i do have a choice in knowing where i came up from, and why it all is what is now.
skinnyguy 6:49 PM - 3 January, 2013
i just use the sync button.

oh, wait...
DJ CUTLOOSE 6:56 PM - 3 January, 2013
Quote:

Ive got Nuff respect for you,and that's coming from a DJ who started off in the late 80s ,growing up in the whole hip hop culture and DMC competions!

I never hate on a DJ but if one day a so called DJ can't beatmatch and then he buys a product with sync and claims to have skills the next day then I do have a problem with that.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:01 PM - 3 January, 2013
Yaaawwnn
DJ CUTLOOSE 7:28 PM - 3 January, 2013
Quote:
Yaaawwnn

why the yawn
DJRemixEnt 7:31 PM - 3 January, 2013
Quote:
I never hate on a DJ but if one day a so called DJ can't beatmatch and then he buys a product with sync and claims to have skills the next day then I do have a problem with that.

Ha...i take it u havnt checked out the dj intro or itch forums yets...lol
DJ CUTLOOSE 7:35 PM - 3 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Ha...i take it u havnt checked out the dj intro or itch forums yets...lol

Lol nah not yet, first time Ive posted in the forum, even tho ive been a member for years. I'm not much of a forum sort of person but I'll take a look ha ha
The Don Phileone 7:44 PM - 3 January, 2013
you just got to be original.

I think there are benefits for using sync (i really like the bridge for layering extra stuff on a mix)

you just have to focus on how you put your tunes together. Your selection and also your appreciation of how to put certain things together becomes your main strength.
The Don Phileone 7:45 PM - 3 January, 2013
And lets be honest no matter what we say it's easier to dj with serato than it is just vinyl.
PorkyG 8:46 PM - 3 January, 2013
I'll tell you what I don't miss! Carrying crates up and down stairs, amps over heating even with fans on them & putting pennies on the head shell. I got through that era so I can deal with people using auto sync, I really don't care what the next guy does. If he is making some cash then good for him, that's great & he's not hurting my funds I'm still making my money so I can care less.

I'll tell you what I do miss... The house parties in the 80's and 90's were the best parties bar none.
DJ CUTLOOSE 9:04 PM - 3 January, 2013
Quote:
I'll tell you what I don't miss! Carrying crates up and down stairs, amps over heating even with fans on them & putting pennies on the head shell. I got through that era so I can deal with people using auto sync, I really don't care what the next guy does. If he is making some cash then good for him, that's great & he's not hurting my funds I'm still making my money so I can care less.

I'll tell you what I do miss... The house parties in the 80's and 90's were the best parties bar none.

Agree with you on the carrying crates PorkyG lol
And Serato opened up so many more genres and options for me, and allowed me to be so much more creative too !

This year I am gonna venture into using CDJ's but only cus I'm loosing work where some promoters wont accommodate my coffin :-(

Not sure if it's diferent in the US PorkyG, but in the UK we are losing money from the Virtual DJ guys cus the clubs and bars exploit them as they will do a nite for a couple of cans of redbull ha ha, but in the end the public get bored of un experienced dj's and it makes the good ones look even better, it's true that you only get what you pay for :-)

By The way PorkyG......Nice Play Chart...Big Joints !
Dj JesC 9:20 PM - 3 January, 2013
I started working on a hardcore techno podcast. jumped into garageband to piece it together with the podcast with album art and chapters so you can skip tracks and what not.
PorkyG 9:21 PM - 3 January, 2013
It's the same everywhere, everyone looks to cut corners and save cash by hiring the guy who will work for peanuts. I can't control that so I don't let it stress me, I work the gigs I get and go on with life.

Thanks, although the session recording was wrong I didn't play the first tune for four seconds. It was also for a mixtape for a buddy of mine, I do love every tune on there though. lol
BERTO 10:36 PM - 3 January, 2013
Quote:
If you're not already doing this, it'll help also. Take one weekend out of a month and go watch other DJ's perform, I'm not saying cop their style but see if they are doing something you could incorporate, change and make it your own.

I like to see what other DJ's come up with and every once and awhile I see something that I could change into my own thing. Least of all you get to hear some good music (sometimes).

+100000 there are so many variations of djs i love going to see other peoples sets also networking is a return of partying. I pick up on a ton of different styles and transitiins along the way as well
DJ CUTLOOSE 10:42 PM - 3 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

+100000 there are so many variations of djs i love going to see other peoples sets also networking is a return of partying. I pick up on a ton of different styles and transitiins along the way as well

I like this one, gives me a break too
((DJ AMMONIA)) 100PPM 8:37 PM - 4 January, 2013
i use my 3700 so it has no sync when i use my ssl3 so im happy to be using the skills that were given to use dj's by the found fathers of turntablism.. i havent jumped down on vinyl yet but hopefully i will soon once income tax comes around LOL ... i just landed a gig over here in oregon the dj agency that i'm going thru to get my feet wet use virtual dj and a audio mixer , at there clubs but on the weekends i bring my coffin out the people love it .. me i just mix im not that good at scratching yet one day i will be. i use remixes from my record pools. i only been spinning for 1 year 6 months 3 weeks 6days and 15 hrs LOL im at over here
DJ CUTLOOSE 10:58 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
i use my 3700 so it has no sync when i use my ssl3 so im happy to be using the skills that were given to use dj's by the found fathers of turntablism.. i havent jumped down on vinyl yet but hopefully i will soon once income tax comes around LOL ... i just landed a gig over here in oregon the dj agency that i'm going thru to get my feet wet use virtual dj and a audio mixer , at there clubs but on the weekends i bring my coffin out the people love it .. me i just mix im not that good at scratching yet one day i will be. i use remixes from my record pools. i only been
spinning for 1 year 6 months 3 weeks 6days and 15 hrs LOL im at over here

Salute sir!!!!
and Yeah I find peeps love to see me spinning on the turntables too : -)
DJ Reflex 12:57 AM - 5 January, 2013
Still take my 1200's to every wedding! Only mobile DJ within 100 mile radius that uses them to mix. (I gotta work on my scratching skills though...)
DJ CUTLOOSE 9:40 PM - 5 January, 2013
Quote:
Still take my 1200's to every wedding! Only mobile DJ within 100 mile radius that uses them to mix. (I gotta work on my scratching skills though...)

Nice one brother..... do u get a good response from playing on decks
reggae delgado 11:28 PM - 5 January, 2013
Plus one to pretty much everything above but I also frequently do all vinyl/all 45s events. That definitely is different from sync djs lol.
DJ Reflex 12:30 AM - 6 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Nice one brother..... do u get a good response from playing on decks

Some older dude (60's or so) was talking about the last DJ using an iPod the whole night and was telling me how "easy" this job must be with all this technical stuff. (His wife had that "Shut up Alfred, you're embarrassing yourself" look!) Half way through the night he comes up and sees the 1200's spinning and just stood there with his jaw on the floor. While I was packing up, he stopped by once again to shake my hand and let me know that he has never seen turntables spin like that at a party before. I got a fist bump from an AARP member that night! :)
DJ Matty Stiles 1:21 AM - 6 January, 2013
Immerse yourself in the world of turntableism learn to scratch and learn to scratch well.

Using vinyl when other cats are using controllers

studying and learning from guys like grandmaster flash, kid capri and funk flex.

Going to shows, learning from other DJs, getting inspiration from them. Take mental notes of how crowds react. Doesn't even have to be shows. Just seeing how DJ's rock parties on youtube is a great way

Making my own personal edits in ableton

Playing genres that other DJs are too scared to / don't know how to play

Being able to rock the party consistently and therefore being reliable to promoters

Theres probably more that i've missed. All these little things add up and separate you from the rest.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:27 AM - 6 January, 2013
Quote:
Immerse yourself in the world of turntableism learn to scratch and learn to scratch well.

studying and learning from guys like grandmaster flash, kid capri and funk flex.

Going to shows, learning from other DJs, getting inspiration from them. Take mental notes of how crowds react. Doesn't even have to be shows. Just seeing how DJ's rock parties on youtube is a great way

Being able to rock the party consistently and therefore being reliable to promoters

Theres probably more that i've missed. All these little things add up and separate you from the rest.

Yup!!
DJ CUTLOOSE 10:19 AM - 6 January, 2013
Quote:

Nice one for that, respect
Are u a Turntablist as well? There's another DJ Cutloose over there in oz too,very simerlar style to me lol
DJ Matty Stiles 6:20 AM - 8 January, 2013
i DJed for 6 years without scratching now I'm getting serious about turntableism. Not quite DMC level yet. One day lol.
DJ Skitz (USA) 6:30 PM - 8 January, 2013
Quote:

Same here, except the 100 mile radius part.
Jairen 6:38 PM - 8 January, 2013
+1 on 1200's.

In the mobile dj world, if you want to stand out you gotta set yourself apart from the usual dj that mixes with rack mount cd players/cd'j's/controllers.
echa1945mf 8:23 PM - 8 January, 2013
i wear a bikini with a thong ..... and twist knob

and im a huge dude with bald head......

im kidding, i dont put on a bikini...

i just learn vodooo and put spells on other DJ's