Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

DDJ SX skips and it's not my laptop! Please help.

DJ671 5:52 PM - 2 January, 2013
I had back to back weddings this past weekend. The first wedding the console was playing for 5 hours on my 2011 Macbook pro using Serato DJ (Channel 2 and 3) and during dance time. It happen while playing the electric slide (don't judge) and started to skip. Terrible time for this to happen.

After 20 seconds of skipping intermittently, I switched to my backup laptop using an RCA-1/8 inch cable (Channel 1). It also was skipping just the same. This lead me to believe it was the console itself and not either of my laptops or a USB dropout. After powering off the console and powering back on, the console was fine for the rest of the night.

This happened again the next night at another wedding with a different song. I powered it off and back on and it was fine once again. Pioneer takes forever to get a hold of tech support. I am wondering if I have a bad unit? any thoughts?
mikeman123 9:16 PM - 2 January, 2013
I had the exact same thing happen to me on New Years Eve in the club. I am so happy l had a back up system sitting there. I just bought a brand new laptop, and have nothing on it but Serato DJ and itunes. It's a PC with windows 7. I just took it back to the store for a refund as l was told it was the PC and so after reading this l am wondering if it could be the controller??????
Up in the top left corner there is a green bar the displays the cpu usage, l found that once that starts moving up it will skip. Did you notice that too?
DJ671 11:50 PM - 2 January, 2013
I didn't look at the CPU usage on my Macbook Pro because I was in panic mode. But like I mentioned I immediately switched to my backup laptop (HP windows 7 i7) and it was also skipping even being used with an 1/8" cable in CD mode.

This leads me to believe that it had something to do with the console itself if it is skipping through Serato DJ (midi) and also as a stand alone mixer. I have never had a mixer cause music to skip though.

Craziest thing, but we need a solution fast because every second I DJ I am paranoid of it happening again. It's hard to DJ when I am afraid to touch the console.
phatbob 12:16 AM - 3 January, 2013
Start an actual help request. I'm sure Serato staff will try and get to the bottom of it with you.
mikeman123 3:13 PM - 3 January, 2013
I hope that Serato can determine what's going on. I returned my laptop as l thought that had to be the issue. Let me know if you hear back from them on this?
DJ671 4:57 PM - 3 January, 2013
I will.
DJ671 11:31 PM - 4 January, 2013
After waiting 25 minutes to speak with someone at Pioneer's tech support, they said it sounds like I need a new unit and to either return it to the place I bought it or send it in to be repaired.

Although they also said the same thing when I told them my 1/4 mic input sounds distorted with a corded sm58 mic when the correct answer should have been to use an attenuator or get a different mic to match the impedance.

Either way, I am going to try and return this for a new one and hope I just had a bad unit.
Clapperz 8:35 AM - 6 January, 2013
Could it be the music file itself?
Qoolee Kid 6:37 PM - 6 January, 2013
This info would lead me to believe the file itself is bad. I don't see how the SX would allow an external source to "skip" I can understand it happening when used in conjunction with the SDJ software.
DJ671 8:24 PM - 6 January, 2013
I understand your point, but I was playing the electric slide through Serato DJ, then when it skipped I switched to a completely different song (I don't remember which song) on my other laptop via 1/8" cable.

The next night it did it again on Serato DJ to a completely different song.
Brother Fred 10:18 PM - 1 September, 2013
Hello when some one gets the answer to the skipping please post it. Because once that cpu light moves I get very nervous because that is when the skipping starts. One post said it was because the mic channel was open, but that is not true. Please help with this issue.
Dj MacMillz 10:39 PM - 1 September, 2013
Are there any corrupt files in the library? (even if you don't play them, they can cause issues).

I'd try getting rid of them or re-encoding them.

Good luck.
DJ MrK 2:56 PM - 19 July, 2016
I had this same issue happen twice. I'm believing it's a Pioneer issue and here is why:

1) Volume fluxuated with Serato DJ. Tried restart of lap and unit; promlem continued.
2) Used Rekordbox at the next gig; problem continued but noticed a couple interesting parts.
a) It only affected channels 1 & 2; not 3 & 4.
b) The volume was affected by bumping the unit; even a strong tap like tapping the play button would make the volume jump.

I brought it home and tried to replicate the issue. To be safe, I read that reflashing the firmware could help; done. I have yet to replicate the issue, but I'll keep trying several times a day this week and keep you posted.

So when is Serato releasing their own hardware?