Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

When Will Audio Drop Out Issue Be Fixed?

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
caliguy 3:50 AM - 2 January, 2013
Im still getting one or two audio drop outs per set.

With Scratch Live there would be freezes but no audio drop outs, the music would continue playing. On Serato DJ, the program freezes along with the DDJ-SX and the music stops playing.

This has to be fixed once and for all. This problem can not continue if I am to use this unit in a live setting.

Thank you.
Serato, Support
David Wood 1:23 AM - 8 January, 2013
Hey Caliguy,

Sorry to here you are effected by dropouts. Please tell me about these drop outs you are having and your system spec's. Currently we are only aware of this happening with certain MAC computers.

Regards
Dave W
caliguy 5:03 AM - 8 January, 2013
The audio drop outs are happening to everyone with different computers PC and MACs. At least thats what I have been reading.

I was just hoping you guys would have pinpointed the problem by now. This is a critical fix and should be given priority, otherwise i cant use the program.
Seanbee 12:55 PM - 8 January, 2013
I agree with Caliguy.. Reading through these forums it seems to be happening with both platforms. I am certainly having the issue with my Win box and OS X. From what I can see it seems it's happing more on macs but I think that's just because more people on these forums have macbooks then PC's (I have a mac pro as my desktop and a PC notebook which I am obviously forced to use for gigs atm).

I have tried all suggestions in these forums and have optimised my system for audio and still get random drop outs.. sometimes I can play a full 80-90 min set without a single pop... other times I get several. I haven't noticed if any other controller users (besides DDJ-SX users) have reported the same problem, would be interesting to know if this is happening to people with different interfaces as this could be more of a Pioneer problem then a Serato problem. I read in one post that a user had gotten a drop out while recording a set but when he played back the set the drop out was not audible, Iikely cause the software records internally, which would mean it's probably more of a hardware issue... but, like I said, I haven't noticed if this was happening on other controllers/audio interfaces, which would bring us back to square one.

To further investigate I've been using the DDJ-SX with Traktor & VDJ (a time consuming process) to listen for drop outs. I have not heard any YET, but I have not put enough time into either one to be conclusive. I personally believe SDJ to be a much better DJ application then Traktor or VDJ so it would be nice to figure what the deal is with the drop outs people are having.
DJRobKraze 4:11 PM - 8 January, 2013
Send your specs to Serato this will help in pushing and investigating the issue.
Serato, Support
David Wood 8:44 PM - 8 January, 2013
This is being investigated and we have a few leads, please could you give me your computer spec's ?
Seanbee 10:02 PM - 8 January, 2013
I've posted my specs in other post regarding this topic but I will post again... anything i can do to help solve this problem.

Core 2 Duo @ 2.8ghz 6mb cache
8 GB DDR3 1066
7200 rpm HDD

I ran this script and killed all processes accept what was needed to run SDJ:

themixtrain.wordpress.com

I also disabled my laptops built in USB webcam in my device manager...

This made huge improvements in performance but I still experienced one drop out within a 2 hour time frame, still a big improvement over what I have previously experienced.

My ASIO settings are 512 samples (11ms), Kernel buffer @ 3 and 24bit bit depth.

Gonna maybe install an SSD this weekend and use my current drive for media storage and see if it makes any difference..
Serato, Support
David Wood 10:05 PM - 8 January, 2013
O.k, thanks. We are working on it from our end. Hopefully we will have a solution for you all soon.

Regards
Dave W
caliguy 1:59 AM - 11 January, 2013
Thank you Dave.
DJBuddha 4:26 AM - 10 February, 2013
This is happening to me as well every time I have practiced this week. I have experienced the issue a few times before but from start of year it happening all the time now. I got a gig next week on radio and I'm afraid. I do not have a DDJ-SX. I'm using Cdj'S 1000s and djm 800 mixer ALSO Akai MPD24 for Midi

Sometimes it just happens from the git go; other times Ive noticed that it happens after the timecoded cds have ended and put its from REL mode to INT. Once i push Track Search Right (Next Track) on my CDJ1000s and its sets back to REL mode; with out a doubt either straight away or a minute or two later in freezes. Thus beat matching becomes fun and you look like a retard :)

I have wireless off and bluetooth off

SL3 Version 2.4.3
Mac OS X 10.6.8
Intel Core Duo 3.06GHz
4GB memory DDR3

i really hope this is resolved i love Scratch Live AND the extra feauture but if the main feature doesn't work well :(
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:42 PM - 11 February, 2013
Hey DJBuddha,

This sounds like a different issue. I'd suggest starting a new help thread of your own so you can get more personal support there from one of our support staff.

Regards
Dave W
caliguy 7:09 AM - 20 February, 2013
New Serato DJ version 1.1.2 said to address audio drop outs!
leonteegan 11:38 AM - 20 February, 2013
6 hours of mixing today & not a single dropout ......... happy days it seems
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:10 PM - 20 February, 2013
Awesome guys, this issue is fixed, i'm happy to say we can close this thread for now, if you have any further issues feel free to reopen it.

Regards
Dave W
caliguy 5:22 PM - 1 May, 2013
Sorry I havent had the opportunity to report back on this post but unfortunately I still had an audio drop out during a live gig on version 1.1.2. :(

**Before anyone asks:
1) yes my computer is optimized
2) yes i tried all suggestions
3) yes my computer is more than capable of handling the software.

Now I'm going to install the new Serato DJ version 1.2 and see how that works. However, i am doubtful that the drop out issue has been addressed in this new version since there was no mention of that in the release notes except for audio drop outs specific to a certain controller.
Asu 5:39 PM - 1 May, 2013
Wow didn't know people were still experiencing audio dropouts...used to happen to me too with the older version of serato DJ but after 1.2 + firmware update...it's been all good.Those dropouts used to make me nervous

I did re-adjust my latency a little too in the settings (2ms to 5ms) to midway of the slider...if you're not a scratch DJ,keep adjusting accordingly untill you don't get audio dropouts.

Also remember to turn off bluetooth and wifi...they interfere with audio Latency when searching for signals.

I'm happy with everything now including the mic section.

Specs:Macbook Pro 15,512 Dedicated Video Card,8 Gigs RAM,750HDD,Serato DJ 1.2
caliguy 6:12 PM - 1 May, 2013
Quote:
I did re-adjust my latency a little too in the settings (2ms to 5ms) to midway of the slider...if you're not a scratch DJ,keep adjusting accordingly untill you don't get audio dropouts.

Also remember to turn off bluetooth and wifi...they interfere with audio Latency when searching for signals.

Thanks.

Bluetooth, and camera, are permanently disabled. Wifi adapters are always disabled before using SDJ. Antivirus is also disabled during live play.

We'll see how version 1.2 goes.
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:42 PM - 1 May, 2013
That is concerning to hear. Let us know how you go with Serato DJ 1.2.

Regards
Dave W