DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Bitrates of a MP3

DJ Throwback 5:09 AM - 29 December, 2012
I wanted to know when downloading mp3 files from itunes to Serato, does the file(s) download at 320kbps, or do I have to convert it first to 320kbps, then download it. also does lossless audio files exsist in itunes.
DouggyFresh 6:25 AM - 29 December, 2012
If the original is 320 it'll be 320. You can't convert something from less to more, only more to less when it comes to bitrate (or anything really for that matter). Even if you converted a 128kbps MP3 track to 320kbps, it will still sound like a 128kbps bitrate, possibly worse. If you mean going from AAC to MP3, you may find the transcode will result in audio loss (AAC @ 160 I believe is MP3@320) due to the fact you're re-encoding decoded audio.
HandsomeRobDJ 4:45 PM - 29 December, 2012
I'll just go ahead and throw myself under the bus by saying that I used Platinum Notes to convert ALL of my audio files to mp3@320kb/s. I , not all the haters that are gonna bitch at me for this, I, I, I think that everything sounds great and it really helped my system's stability. Meaning NONE of my computers have crashed even ONE time since I made the switch. Worked like a charm for ME. You may now begin hating : P
phatbob 6:12 PM - 29 December, 2012
Quote:
I'll just go ahead and throw myself under the bus by saying that I used Platinum Notes to convert ALL of my audio files to mp3@320kb/s. I , not all the haters that are gonna bitch at me for this, I, I, I think that everything sounds great and it really helped my system's stability. Meaning NONE of my computers have crashed even ONE time since I made the switch. Worked like a charm for ME. You may now begin hating : P

No need to hate. You clearly KNOW why that was a dumb thing to do, but you chose to do it anyway. Your decision.
DJ DisGrace 8:34 PM - 29 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

No need to hate. You clearly KNOW why that was a dumb thing to do, but you chose to do it anyway. Your decision.

+1 LOL
DJ SPAIR 7:23 AM - 30 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1 LOL

Isn't Platinum Notes just a compressor? I don't understand the difference between a regular compressor and IT. I guess the cool factor would be that you can simultaneously compress files,but does it really enhance the audio quality of a low bit file?
djpuma_gemini 7:29 AM - 30 December, 2012
It just boosts the levels, but doesn't really make it a 320 file.
If you look at the spectrum of the file it will still be missing the higher frequency data like 18 to 20khz
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:47 PM - 30 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

ROTFL....

Quote:
I wanted to know when downloading mp3 files from itunes to Serato, does the file(s) download at 320kbps, or do I have to convert it first to 320kbps, then download it.

I wouldn't do any conversion (unless FLAC or AAC to mp3 for consistency). Usually you want to FIND/GET your music in the highest possible bitrate, if you have a lower bitrate - just deal with it until you can do some digital digging and eventually replace it.

If you were doing a wedding or mobile gig, some of those "oldies" or "classics" may sound just fine at 128 - some of the newer stuff sounds "better" in a club environment at higher bitrate,

Quote:
also does lossless audio files exsist in itunes.

I think iTunes purchased music is non DRM AAC now which is lossy, I know they were pushing iTunes Plus which was 256 AAC a few versions back.
frozen 2:27 PM - 30 December, 2012
I get everything I can in flac, and just convert it to m4a. There's no need to convert things down to 320kpbs, and theres no reason to convert things 'up' to 320kbps if its lower. Both will result in a loss of quality. Some 256kbps tracks sound great and some 1411kbps tracks sound terrible, it depends on if a dodgy source was used. Never ever use 128kbps files because they always sound terrible over large speakers. Try out other tracks 192kbps and over to make sure they sound okay, and just always try to get the files in the highest quality possible
dj_soo 11:12 PM - 30 December, 2012
Quote:

Quote:
also does lossless audio files exsist in itunes.

I think iTunes purchased music is non DRM AAC now which is lossy, I know they were pushing iTunes Plus which was 256 AAC a few versions back.

all itunes is nonDRM 256 AAC now.
dj_soo 11:13 PM - 30 December, 2012
you can also use itunes to convert your files to ALAC which is apple's version of FLAC