Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Can u step by step how to rip a Promo Only DVD into individual files for each track??

DJ C-Zer 12:45 PM - 6 June, 2008
Answer: Try DJExtractor from lmoffice.com (This is a windows only application.)

Luiz's program is all I used. It grabs the playlist (XML) from the promo only website and extracts the VOB files from the standard VIDEO_TS Folder. So your 8+ Gigs of 8 VOB files go to 50+ VOBs of 200meg videos. Its exteremly accurate and it work great. Just punch in the promo only data for the disc and rip away. Genious. His application only converts to wmv, so I just saved my VOB files and converted them to MP4 later.

[4/17/2008]
v1.5 Released! Some fixes, improvements and new features. See version history for details.

Introduction

DJExtractor is a tool to help rip, encode and tag Promotional DJ subscription services CDs and DVDs with almost no user interaction required. This is a great tool to have if you are a Promotional DJ service subscriber who wants to have your collection transferred to your computer for archiving purposes or personal DJ use.

Currently, the tool only works with the Promo Only DJ Subscription service, but others may be offer in the future if interest arises.

Some key features include:

Ripping of CDs and DVDs to disk
Encodes the ripped content to compressed formats (currently only MP3 for audio and WMV for video).
Names and tags files based on content downloaded from the web (no need to type any Artist/Song/etc information)
Supports tagging of previously ripped/encoded files
Fixes file creation datetime to match album release date (so that you can better organize your albums by release date)
Some know limitations include:

Encodes to WMV only. I don't plan on investing in other video formats at this time, thought possibly in the future.
DJ C-Zer 12:54 PM - 6 June, 2008
By the way, I may write another how to like I did for my mp3 ripping and converting (www.DJCZer.com) - 4 years ago on how to convert and rip video files using the methods I found most quickly and efficiently. The problem with most applications for converting from VOB to MP4 is that they don't deinterlace. I wish Video-SL had a deinterlace filter ad I wouldn't have to pull my hair out to find another app that did. So after playin around with Handbrake, ALLOK VOB to MP4, and other apps of the like, I found this one...its clean, simple and it downloads all the codecs it needs for you to do your work on the fly. It also deinterlaces your videos and does them in a batch! Not many programs do batches and when you have 5 years of DVD Promo only VOBs, i'm not going to do one by one.

www.planetdvb.net

Again, I'll write a doc with screen shots soon on how to use it. Maybe even put it up on the wiki site available. What's that link again anyway?
DjSatuRn 4:38 PM - 6 June, 2008
DJExtractor is the best app out there to rip PO DVDs. It will save you a lot of time. If you're a newb use this! He's now working on making DJE to work with SP.
D-Twizzle 11:21 PM - 6 June, 2008
doesn't work on my vista machine.
DjSatuRn 4:52 AM - 7 June, 2008
He's working on a fix for it. Who uses vista? That's like Windows ME.
itchie 10:40 AM - 7 June, 2008
Quote:
He's now working on making DJE to work with SP.

nice.
D-Twizzle 9:22 PM - 7 June, 2008
doesn't work on my xp machine either. here's the error i get...
img403.imageshack.us
.net 3.5 installed.
any ideas???
itchie 9:49 PM - 7 June, 2008
that's wierd. sometimes it will say that the disc in the drive is not a promo only disc but your can click proceed anyways and it still works. strange it won't let you download from the data base. i was able to pull may08week1express from the site... the only thing i can think of is to go into preferences and see if the url address is correct. but if you haven't changed it, it should be right. i would contact luiz. he'll respond quick.
Funkytownstopsix 4:01 AM - 9 June, 2008
Werid it works on my Vista perfect it does save time as far as typing but the program only rips to VOB so you still must convert to mp4 or whatever u use. just pick what it is and it get a track list,,,,,pretty sweet if DjExtractor had it rip to MP4 it would be the best program ever made for promo only stuff.
DjSatuRn 5:58 PM - 9 June, 2008
Quote:
doesn't work on my xp machine either. here's the error i get...
img403.imageshack.us
.net 3.5 installed.
any ideas???

If that is the error you were getting before then it's not Vista. It looks like there might be a problem with DJE getting the listing. This could be because PO used a different naming convention or the data is not there. The best thing to do is copy the error and report it to Luiz. He'll get it sorted out for you.
djpuma_gemini 9:22 PM - 9 June, 2008
Any info of getting this to be compatible with mac and mac the ripper or some other program.
Funkytownstopsix 11:17 PM - 9 June, 2008
NO...not for Mac's go to his website he not doing anymore with the program...
DJ C-Zer 1:19 AM - 15 June, 2008
scratch out the staxrip i mentioned above. Too complicated and there was a sync issue.

Credit goes to NYCE for this application:

pc: mediacoder
mediacoder.sourceforge.net

best conversion tool for pc
itchie 1:40 AM - 15 June, 2008
+1
mediacoder is what i've been using for a while and it's by far the best for pc. i export avi(uncompressed) out of vegas, throw into mediacoder and BLAM!
DJ C-Zer 9:44 AM - 15 June, 2008
itchie, what settings do you have set for audio, video, picture, etc in mediacoder. The VOB to MP4 i've been converting have returned an error that says "Error -2041: an invalid sample description was found in the movie (xx.mp4). Thanks.
Funkytownstopsix 12:42 PM - 16 June, 2008
New set up for me for encoding,,, trust me I have tried everything. I now use DJExtractor from lmoffice.com and mediacoder.sourceforge.net. Somebody I can't remember who posted some pretty good settings for mediacorder on the fourms I like the results. So far I think the best combo for promo only dvds. DJ C-Zer I tried staxrip as well problem with that is you have to download extra stuff that does not come in the program. So if your not good with PC your Fuckkked. I will be recoding my libary this week only becasue mediacoder does synk better than any that I have used.
DjSatuRn 4:39 PM - 16 June, 2008
I use tmpgenc works great for encoding.
Funkytownstopsix 5:16 PM - 16 June, 2008
mediacoder is it!
let's see...
under video:
*mp4
*2 pass 3000kbps crucial->change to Baseline Level 1.0 (change quality to 100)
*format- h264 (change the setting to be 'max & min interval between IDR frame=12
*source- auto select (which is ffmpeg x264)
*encoder- auto select
under audio:
*source- auto select
*encoder- faac (container aac)
*avg bitrate 160 low complexity
under picture:
*resize- 640x480
Itchie posted this..

*framerate- 29.97 (global)
then in 'picture' menu click on effects:
check- deblocking, deringing, yadif 0 (best deinterlacer)
and at this point you can make the video darker sharper, all that. and under the audio menu you can normalize or boast the gain for those low audio videos... best thing about this program is the audio and video sync up better than any converter i've seen. i don't know how to post files but if somone schools me i can post up 'my mediacoder preset'
ps. it rips youtube to any settings. which means you can rip youtube to serato ready video in a snap. not that we wounld play youtube videos... *tisk tisk*
Funkytownstopsix 5:17 PM - 16 June, 2008
Itchie posted this.. My bad want make sure right person gets credit..
DRiBL 3:14 AM - 17 June, 2008
So that's Ripping Promo Only DVD's to MP4 on PC sorted?
Big thankyou to the pioneers.

Would the same process work for ripping samples from movies or bonus content (film clips etc) from band dvd's? Promo Only don't sound like they
re happy to send vids out to Australia...
DRiBL 4:06 AM - 17 June, 2008
Quote:
+1
mediacoder is what i've been using for a while and it's by far the best for pc. i export avi(uncompressed) out of vegas, throw into mediacoder and BLAM!

Itchie - Vegas being www.sonycreativesoftware.com
itchie 8:35 AM - 18 June, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
+1

Itchie - Vegas being www.sonycreativesoftware.com

yep.
also, mediacoder puts a white frame at the end of the video if the last frame is black. as long as your looped videos have picture all the way to the end, it won't flash white when the loop starts over. kinda sucks but i don't really play looped videos.
DRiBL 2:55 AM - 19 June, 2008
Cool.

Willl give it more of a go over the weekend.
DJ C-Zer 5:46 PM - 4 July, 2008
Mediacoder definately works great!

The only problem I have is that my dual core pc doesn't play the videos correctly. I see it on the demo screen but it's choppy. Any suggestions?

Specs:

Intel Core 2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13 GHZ, 2GB RAM, Windows XP
Funkytownstopsix 9:21 PM - 5 July, 2008
Not enough info,,,, if your talking about Mediacoder go to mediacoder they have direct downloads for procesers...? The screen should be choppy during coverting and not play smooth at all.

If not talking about Mediacoder then try to find the new video drivers that is most often the problem. But start with the settings in VSL bring video quality down and see if that stops your jumping. If not try to find latest drivers you can find they have some hacked drivers out there at a site called laptops2go.. That's about all I can recomend. until u give more info.
DJ C-Zer 5:40 PM - 10 July, 2008
Quote:
Not enough info,,,, if your talking about Mediacoder go to mediacoder they have direct downloads for procesers...? The screen should be choppy during coverting and not play smooth at all.

If not talking about Mediacoder then try to find the new video drivers that is most often the problem. But start with the settings in VSL bring video quality down and see if that stops your jumping. If not try to find latest drivers you can find they have some hacked drivers out there at a site called laptops2go.. That's about all I can recomend. until u give more info.

It's not the way the video plays in standalone Quicktime. That works fine. It's in Serato on my laptop. So steps:

1) Convert on desktop PC. Using mediacoder.
2) Settings in Media coder:
*mp4
*2 pass 2500kbps crucial->change to Baseline Level 1.0 (change quality to 100)
*format- h264 (change the setting to be 'max & min interval between IDR frame=12
*source- auto select (which is ffmpeg x264)
*encoder- auto select
under audio:
*source- auto select
*encoder- faac (container aac)
*avg bitrate 160 low complexity
under picture:
*resize- 640x480

3) transfer to laptop Intel Core 2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13 GHZ, 2GB RAM, Windows XP
4) Play
itchie 10:25 PM - 10 July, 2008
Quote:
crucial->change to Baseline Level 1.0

this is what was making my videos choppy... DON'T set to MAIN. set to BASELINE level 1.0
mizu 12:01 AM - 11 July, 2008
does anyone know the difference between main and baseline?
itchie 2:37 AM - 11 July, 2008
Baseline Profile (BP): Primarily for lower-cost applications with limited computing resources, this profile is used widely in videoconferencing and mobile applications.
Main Profile (MP): Originally intended as the mainstream consumer profile for broadcast and storage applications, the importance of this profile faded when the High profile was developed for those applications
High Profile (HiP): The primary profile for broadcast and disc storage applications, particularly for high-definition television applications (this is the profile adopted into HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc, for example)

-wikipedia
mizu 3:07 AM - 11 July, 2008
thanx man....awesome breakdown
spacetoonz 9:27 AM - 12 July, 2008
Been using advised setting of MediaCoder.

Anyone know which setting effects delay. My videos come out a tad off beat. Lips arent syncing and beats arent matching.

Thanx
itchie 8:10 PM - 12 July, 2008
off beat in quicktime?
Funkytownstopsix 11:31 PM - 12 July, 2008
Spacetoonz, for the longest I thought my video were out of sync, I would play through my s-video to a 42in LCD what I found is that for some reason I had a delay on the s-video but when using my HDMI no sync issues and when using my projector no issues even with that same s-video cable, all synced. Most often if a video is synced in Quicktime it will be in SLV. Now if your having sync issues while looking at it in quicktime this may be do to codecs. I would uninstall all codecs peroid,,,, medicore comes with its own. That might reslove your issue... I don't know much more that I can tell excpet to ask Itchie as he is the man when it comes MeidaCoder
dvdj havoc 12:10 AM - 8 August, 2008
dj extractor meant for promo only. luis made this, you just put in the series, and date download and add dvd. thats it

www.sendspace.com
nik39 2:32 AM - 18 August, 2008
Quote:

I am too stupid... how does this work? I have tried to choose the correct disc, click on "download listing" and it keeps on saying "could not find any hits for desired series."

Any idea?
mizu 5:37 AM - 18 August, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

I am too stupid... how does this work? I have tried to choose the correct disc, click on "download listing" and it keeps on saying "could not find any hits for desired series."

Any idea?

You have to select the disc first from the button along the top.
itchie 10:06 AM - 18 August, 2008
nik39, d-twizzle was having the same problem. i don't know if he got it working on his machine. you should hit him up.
nik39 10:37 AM - 18 August, 2008
Quote:

I did that...
mizu 6:49 PM - 18 August, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

I did that...

Which ones are you currently trying to rip. I know there were some issues with some of the different series.
nik39 7:50 PM - 18 August, 2008
I tried to chose various discs - but it gave me the error message I have posted :(

Is there any date+series combination which works for you?
itchie 9:12 PM - 18 August, 2008
go to promo only's songlist database on their website. select the series you want and it sould list a date. ex: best of the 70's vl.1 list a date of 1/1/1970. if you put all that info in the month-year-seriestype-seriesname in djextractor it should bring up the list... hope that helps.
nik39 10:14 PM - 18 August, 2008
Ah okay, that worked. Thanks itchie :)

However... you should not need to tell which DVD this is. The application should be able to figure it out by itself. Wack.

Okay, okay... horse, gift, never, mouth. ;)
nik39 10:17 PM - 18 August, 2008
Man, that's a weird application - or I am too stupid to figure it.
nik39 10:18 PM - 18 August, 2008
(In doubt - the latter one applies)
Funkytownstopsix 12:32 PM - 20 August, 2008
Nik39 maybe the program is tooooooo simple for you, I think you should rewrite it and make it more user friedly as we know you can do it.. Make it so that when you load the disk that it's a one stop shop and does everything (labels an rips )and when finished it plays a sound that its done.

Wack it maybe but on the real a big time saver.
nik39 12:59 PM - 20 August, 2008
Quote:
Nik39 maybe the program is tooooooo simple for you, I think you should rewrite it and make it more user friedly as we know you can do it.. Make it so that when you load the disk that it's a one stop shop and does everything (labels an rips )and when finished it plays a sound that its done.

All I can say is: Stop spying on my computer!

I've started working on an app a few weeks ago and I just wanted to get some ideas about which features it should have and how to design a proper GUI/workflow.

;)
nik39 1:00 PM - 20 August, 2008
Quote:
Wack it maybe but on the real a big time saver.

+1. If it works then it is definitly better than manually tagging your tracks. No doubt about that! And the term wack was not nice from me. Gotta apologize. It's cool someone made such an application and is giving it away for free. How can I hate it on.
Funkytownstopsix 2:08 PM - 20 August, 2008
LoL,,,not spying I just know you do that type of stuff. Would be nice to have a nice GUI that us promo only people can just one click to get the job done. If anyone can do it we know you could. I will be a beta tester for you....I bet you do hella websites. : )
Funkytownstopsix 2:16 PM - 20 August, 2008
You can start by changing the tagging to take the numbers off the tags and make it tag stuff correctly... D END
nik39 2:24 PM - 20 August, 2008
Quote:
I bet you do hella websites

I *absolutely* hate doing html and anything which has to do with websiteprogramming. Really. :-(
Funky, are you on a Mac or PC?

Quote:
You can start by changing the tagging to take the numbers off the tags and make it tag stuff correctly... D END

What do you mean?
Funkytownstopsix 7:33 PM - 20 August, 2008
PC and I don't want to hear any Mac Crap....FUNK A Mac. : )

When it DJ Extractor rips the songs it puts them in a folder named whatever the cd is named then it places the songs in the folder with the number of the track and the song. What it doesn't do is lable the song with the artist and song name. As of right now it all one tag. Which looks this..
02 Chris Brown Forever.vob

So it would be nice it tagged it so I don't have to go back and do so.
DJ Dan-E 7:38 PM - 20 August, 2008
funkytownstopsix> YOu can do that already with the software. I have mine labeling it the following format Artist - Title [BPM]
Just chane the settings in the software. Software works great and is free, however I am donating $100. because if has saved me a great deal of time. If you want my settings, shoot me a pm and I will copy mine so you can just paste them in for ya. Also I have added it so you can do week5 if you get PO Express.
Funkytownstopsix 8:05 PM - 20 August, 2008
Hummm,,,, well I can never get the tagging to come up and work.... It always ask if i want to report it.. LOL... I will PM you.
DJ Dan-E 10:17 PM - 20 August, 2008
Here are my settings. Go to settings, and paste the following into the output settings:[%set%(PowerSet) ]%artist% - %titlemix% {%bpm%}
Funkytownstopsix 11:04 PM - 20 August, 2008
will this work for none power sets
DJ Dan-E 11:41 PM - 20 August, 2008
this works for all PO DVDS....The powerset is there just in case there is a powerset. so it uses it if it sees it.
DJ Dan-E 11:43 PM - 20 August, 2008
Oh and I do encourage those that do use the software to make some type of donation on his site. It used to take me 35 minutes per dvd to do everything, now it takes about 8 minutes per disc. so a great tool and time saver. It was nice of him to share his app with us.
nik39 12:48 AM - 21 August, 2008
Quote:
Oh and I do encourage those that do use the software to make some type of donation on his site.

+1

What is a "Power set"?
Funkytownstopsix 3:11 AM - 21 August, 2008
Power set is.......

A ten min video mix made by Promo Only to give Dj's a break. Nik39 if you don't use Promo Only then what's your video sourse.
nik39 3:19 AM - 21 August, 2008
I just was not sure what this was about:
Quote:
[%set%(PowerSet) ]

And... I do not know about every PO series ;)

Check your PM's btw.
Funkytownstopsix 3:50 AM - 21 August, 2008
ok DJ DAN your are right about it taking off the number but it is not adding tags. What I am saying is when I add it to scratchlive the title arits and bpm are all in the file name not in there prespective places.
Funkytownstopsix 3:52 AM - 21 August, 2008
Nik39 I just got back from bowling....A little tipsy....but I did check PM and I am known as BIG....on the other spot.
DJ Dan-E 3:55 AM - 21 August, 2008
ill have to try it with serato, like I mentioned I use it for VDJ and it handles it just fine. Serato may not like the - in between. You can try taking that out and see if it works. also the bpm is in it for my reference. that way I dont have to rely on tag info and there isnt anything set in stone for video yet, right now all the vendors seem to be writing there own app that throws a database together.
nik39 4:12 AM - 21 August, 2008
Since this DJExtractor tool here does not convert your files in a VSL format it wont be able to tag those videos. It will only rip them to VOB files. VOB files do not support tags.
Funkytownstopsix 4:23 AM - 21 August, 2008
yeap becasue it wants to convert it to wma first then it would most likely tag correctly. Yet I never seems to get there...because it crashes before conversion..
nik39 10:18 PM - 25 August, 2008
Is there anyone willed helping out testing a tool which can do it better?
Funkytownstopsix 3:34 AM - 26 August, 2008
me duhhhhhhhhh....
mizu 4:26 AM - 26 August, 2008
+1 here of course.
DJ Dan-E 1:19 PM - 27 August, 2008
Nik go ahead and add me to the beta test of the app...be curious to see how much better you were able to make this thing
nik39 1:26 PM - 27 August, 2008
Promise that you'll retrat the other donation and will donate the $100 to my app if its better :-D

J/k

mizu+Dan, which OS are you on?
mizu 6:14 PM - 27 August, 2008
Mac OS X here
DJ Dan-E 9:04 PM - 27 August, 2008
I actually have both/ MBP (OX X) and also have PC with Vista Ultimate......if app is better and works on pc (i do most video stuff on pc at this time) I'll donate some money :)
nik39 9:36 PM - 27 August, 2008
It def works on XP and OSX, I assume it also works in Vista :) I'll send you a PM.
DJ Dan-E 10:10 PM - 27 August, 2008
sounds good, also to make the tool better, allow the choice of screenplay/mixmash/rock america. One tool that will work for everybody.
nik39 10:18 PM - 27 August, 2008
I don''t have access to Screenplay+Rock America. Do they offer a downloadable database like MM and PO offers?
DJ Dan-E 10:44 PM - 27 August, 2008
Screenplay yes...www.screenplayvj.com
Rockamerica they show listing, not sure if you can download it thow....www.rockamericamusic.com
nik39 10:59 PM - 27 August, 2008
Do you have a direct link to the database file?
mizu 11:14 PM - 27 August, 2008
yeah i have access to both as well i guess. I will use whatever is easiest.
nik39 11:17 PM - 27 August, 2008
It will work the same on both platforms. I hope.
nik39 11:02 AM - 28 August, 2008
Quote:
Screenplay yes...www.screenplayvj.com
Rockamerica they show listing, not sure if you can download it thow....www.rockamericamusic.com

Ok, Screenplay seems to be doable - that may work out. But... rockamerica - I don't think so since they don't have a per-DVD list with a chapter listing. Their lists are sorted all aphabetically and I doubt that this is the order in which the tracks on the DVD appear.
DJ Dan-E 5:36 PM - 28 August, 2008
let me know when you have it in beta...Ill test it out
DJ C-Zer 6:44 PM - 6 September, 2008
I got sick and tired of mediacoder crashing on some of my VOBs. Therefore after working with various software, Xilisoft's Video Converter Ultimate seems to be the most solid. Videos are perfect and no glitches in Serato. The setback is that it costs $55 but with over 4 years of Promo only DVDs, it's well worth it!
nliz24 1:20 AM - 8 September, 2008
Quote:
He's working on a fix for it. Who uses vista? That's like Windows ME.

The best post I have seen in a long time
Funkytownstopsix 3:01 AM - 8 September, 2008
This is true about mediacoder. I have two hardrives one with xp the other with vista. The vista one works perfect all day long the XP works well when I turn off my internet. On Vista I encoded 2 years of video without any issues and that took a few days. XP is a diffrent story. All in all a good program that is free and they are still working on it. Nik39 will but putting something together soon so I am waiting... Hurry Nik....
mizu 1:40 AM - 9 September, 2008
Quote:
I got sick and tired of mediacoder crashing on some of my VOBs. Therefore after working with various software, Xilisoft's Video Converter Ultimate seems to be the most solid. Videos are perfect and no glitches in Serato. The setback is that it costs $55 but with over 4 years of Promo only DVDs, it's well worth it!

how do you deinterlace with Xilisoft's Video Converter Ultimate?
nik39 3:16 PM - 14 September, 2008
Quote:
let me know when you have it in beta...Ill test it out

Sorry guys, I was away - vacation - and came back handicapped (yes, even more than before ;) ) My right hand/wrist is injured so it will take a bit more until I can provide you a beta version.
DJ Dan-E 12:00 AM - 15 September, 2008
alright,take it easy and when you get beta, we'll be ready to test it out!
DJ C-Zer 6:11 PM - 22 September, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

how do you deinterlace with Xilisoft's Video Converter Ultimate?

I'm making a video tutorial soon on everything that has worked so far for me. Keep it locked to CesarRamirez.com.

On the other note, you can click on the two arrows by profile that brings out the settings on the right hand middle side. Then click on Expert. There is an option do_deinterlace. Set it to true then done.
djjeffmetcalf 8:04 PM - 23 September, 2008
Nik I was working on a Cocoa app for OSX, but I got busy at work and lost the motivation, but I would love to test your app and help you out with donation or support however. I can run it PC or Mac doesn't matter.
Culprit 8:44 PM - 22 April, 2009
just got the new beta version of djextractor, real excited about its progress (vob to mp4 + tagging). Will post results here.
itchie 9:01 PM - 22 April, 2009
do they have screenplay tagging?
Culprit 10:20 PM - 22 April, 2009
Its using ffmpeg to encode the videos, the version I have does not tag, but the next release will have tagging. I do not have any screenplay dvds to test, but I believe it will also do screenplay tagging as well.
Culprit 10:26 PM - 22 April, 2009
I wanted to ask, is anyone using -crf?

[www.biggmatt.com]

I dont quite understand its purpose, is it like a setting level? I have searched the forums and google and the link i provided above is the closest piece of information I could find.
djpuma_gemini 12:02 AM - 23 April, 2009
I have been ripping screenplay and po to vobs with dj extractor (not to mp4)
That program is awesome and saves me countless hours of manually doing it.
itchie 2:37 AM - 23 April, 2009
i've been using djextractor to rip and tag PO disks for a while and dreaded getting my screenplay dvd's because there was no screenplay support. 1.6 works great! thanks for the suggestion to update... i normally don't update unless i know it's not going to fuc up my work flow. (damn cs4 updates)
Culprit 4:01 AM - 23 April, 2009
I think the update will be released in a matter of weeks, but its defenitly worth the wait because by then the program will tag the videos with correct metadata (as much as ffmpeg will allow). Dont forget to donate!
djpuma_gemini 1:36 PM - 23 April, 2009
Too bad you can't tag vobs. I don't use it to create mp4's
itchie 9:41 PM - 23 April, 2009
Just to clarify, dj extractor rips PO and (now)Screenplay disks with all the proper info from the disk. It doesn't tag the vob (like puma said, it be impossable) just names it. Which is all i need really... And screenplay as a company has great support.
djpuma_gemini 12:30 AM - 24 April, 2009
It's cool you can customize the output. I have it like this
artist - title (bpm)
Funkytownstopsix 3:23 PM - 24 April, 2009
Sad thing is now that they (screenplay&promo) are going to MP4 so you really don't need to use any software any more. I think the only people who will use vob's will be remix editors. The days of ripping will be over soon...
djpuma_gemini 4:10 PM - 24 April, 2009
Quote:
Sad thing is now that they (screenplay&promo) are going to MP4 so you really don't need to use any software any more. I think the only people who will use vob's will be remix editors. The days of ripping will be over soon...

That's what I use it for. I still prefer to take the vob and convert it myself to mp4 (unless they come with a high bitrate for video and audio when they convert it to mp4) They being PO and SP
Culprit 2:24 PM - 25 April, 2009
Quote:

Lol, I was at first considering the dff, but I like the fact that I can control how to encode my videos, and still have a source backup. I am a control freak, and even though they take all the work out of ripping and encoding the videos for you, you still get to have both products at no additional cost (if you know how to rip an encode).

I am happy to stay with my dvd sources, and besides, I always take the dvds with me to my gigs because my residencies have dvj's as well, so its a good backup, too many positives there!
Funkytownstopsix 12:46 PM - 27 April, 2009
I agree Culprit but you could back them up to 50 dirves by the time you have converted them. I too have all my dvd's still kinda a pain converting compaired to drag and drop all ready tagged and looking very good. Now if I was hard core editing then there would be no doubt that I would always get the vob's. Yet since you keeping them if I need them I will give you a call :)
djpuma_gemini 3:41 PM - 27 April, 2009
I keep all vobs (that I edit, or think I might ever need)
DJ Tecniq 4:39 AM - 23 June, 2009
I have done this using handbrake, when I rip a video to mp4. For some reason I get out of sync audio with the video and it looks like total shit, quality is good but audio is not matching up with video bout half way through the vid? Does anyone know why this is happening? I need help. Just started using video sl and ripping dvd's Is a prob.
itchie 11:52 AM - 23 June, 2009
check your frame rate. i notice this happing on 24fps movies that were forced to 29.97fps
DJ Tecniq 8:49 PM - 23 June, 2009
Quote:
check your frame rate. i notice this happing on 24fps movies that were forced to 29.97fps

hrmm odd thing Is i used the sl video preset for pc and it doesn't even load the preset apparently. i have to change to average bitrate to 2000 kbps everytime!
DJ Tecniq 8:51 PM - 23 June, 2009
my frame rate is set to "same as source" I don't know which fram rate is best? im lost
djpuma_gemini 3:39 AM - 24 June, 2009
^2000 Kbps is pretty low for an mp4, you should go at least 2500.
Culprit 5:25 PM - 24 June, 2009
same as source is safe, keep that.
DJ C-Zer 1:27 PM - 2 September, 2009
What is the the best convertor for Macintosh? I am slowly becoming a Mac lover. Now that you can install the Mac OSX on a PC ;-).
D-Twizzle 3:36 PM - 2 September, 2009
i think a lot of people use visual hub on mac
lvmez 4:00 PM - 2 September, 2009
since visual hub is harder to get now a days, i think handbrake is also being used alot.
itchie 8:30 PM - 2 September, 2009
Handbrake is better. Cap is 160 on the audio though:(
Culprit 10:45 PM - 2 September, 2009
Quote:
What is the the best convertor for Macintosh? I am slowly becoming a Mac lover. Now that you can install the Mac OSX on a PC ;-).

AMEN!
DJ C-Zer 7:33 PM - 21 February, 2013
Bump. Mac users, what are you using to convert video in 2013?
djpuma_gemini 7:42 PM - 21 February, 2013
^Windows
Or mpegstreamclip or sorenson squeeze
Culprit 12:09 AM - 22 February, 2013
I am using windows as well, custom scripts w/ x264, mp4box and nero aac encoder
Funkytownstopsix 4:27 PM - 22 February, 2013
Mediacoder I have been using it since Serato video came out. Free and very good and converts just about anything.
Code:E 6:32 PM - 22 February, 2013
I use the DVD ripper that came with Virtual DJ. Though that was back in the day when used Virtual DJ and when i used promo only DVD's. All of these videos i ripped work perfectly in Serato.
skinnyguy 12:53 AM - 23 February, 2013
vdj has a ripper?
Code:E 3:29 AM - 23 February, 2013
Quote:
vdj has a ripper?

yes is comes as a stand alone app when you install VDJ pro.
djjeffmetcalf 6:27 PM - 23 February, 2013
Here's some Presets that I have tweaked, I used SmashVidz (VJPro) encoding settings as a guideline and made a few subtle changes. All three encode using 3000k x264 in Fast Decode Mode, and 320k AAC Audio.

Handbrake Mac: db.tt
Handbrake PC : db.tt

^ In Handbrake just make sure you change the audio settings to Stereo 320k, the presets don't seem to like changes those.

Media Coder : dl.dropbox.com

Use them if you like, I have found that they work pretty well.
DJ C-Zer 2:08 AM - 3 November, 2015
sweet thx @DJJeffmetcalf
Dj_Nix 8:23 AM - 23 December, 2016
Quote:

Luiz's program is all I used. It grabs the playlist (XML) from the promo only website and extracts the VOB files from the standard VIDEO_TS Folder. So your 8+ Gigs of 8 VOB files go to 50+ VOBs of 200meg videos. Its exteremly accurate and it work great. Just punch in the promo only data for the disc and rip away. Genious. His application only converts to wmv, so I just saved my VOB files and converted them to MP4 later.

[4/17/2008]
v1.5 Released! Some fixes, improvements and new features. See version history for details.

Introduction

DJExtractor is a tool to help rip, encode and tag Promotional DJ subscription services CDs and DVDs with almost no user interaction required. This is a great tool to have if you are a Promotional DJ service subscriber who wants to have your collection transferred to your computer for archiving purposes or personal DJ use.

Currently, the tool only works with the Promo Only DJ Subscription service, but others may be offer in the future if interest arises.

Some key features include:

Ripping of CDs and DVDs to disk
Encodes the ripped content to compressed formats (currently only MP3 for audio and WMV for video).
Names and tags files based on content downloaded from the web (no need to type any Artist/Song/etc information)
Supports tagging of previously ripped/encoded files
Fixes file creation datetime to match album release date (so that you can better organize your albums by release date)
Some know limitations include:

Encodes to WMV only. I don't plan on investing in other video formats at this time, thought possibly in the future.

so i realize this is old but i've been trying to finish get this working through wine on OSX. can anybody assist me?
popnwave 1:50 AM - 24 December, 2016
I did all of mine on an old PC w/ DVDDecrypter and then loading the individual VOBs into Sorenson Squeeze. Of course I ended up with bars on half my crap and am eventually going to redo some of it.

I haven't see an super easy way on OS X to rip/encode without some boring ass track dividing. I guess you could rip the disc as one chunk and chop it up with MPEGStreamClip
Dj_Nix 8:17 AM - 24 December, 2016
This DJ extractor program automates it for you... It queries PO and another pool and does the splitting for you... I've used it before, but my dilemma is that my main rig is osx and thats windows only. So im trying to work around it and use wine (an emulation suite) to run it
Cinteam 4:30 PM - 11 June, 2017
Quote:
I have done this using handbrake, when I rip a video to mp4. For some reason I get out of sync audio with the video and it looks like total shit, quality is good but audio is not matching up with video bout half way through the vid? Does anyone know why this is happening? I need help. Just started using video sl and ripping dvd's Is a prob.

As for the HandBrake Audio Sync Issue, I found a related guide on this: www.videoconverterfactory.com I don't know if the problem has been solved or not. If not, you may get some help there.