Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Audio Drop outs

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Jay Free 12:13 AM - 24 December, 2012
I plyaed a 4 hour set live friday with ZERO issues, but last night during a 6 hour set i noticed 3 dropouts of less than a second but still. Also when deleting trackes on the fly the waves freeze for a millisecond.

thanks
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:30 AM - 24 December, 2012
Hey Jay Free,

The small drop outs are something we have begun seeing with certain users, but have yet to find a solution. What is your USB buffer size set to in the setup screen?

Do you have Auto Gain enabled in the setup screen?

Regarding your freeze problem deleting tracks:

Do you use an external drive? Does this seem to happen when in offline player? Does the audio cut out? Or is it just a visual thing?
Jay Free 1:27 PM - 24 December, 2012
I do not know what buffer size I'm using.

I do not know if I have that enabled. Should I?

I do NOT use an external. I have not tried in the offline player. it is just a visual thing but makes me leary about the software.

I play large venues and need to be 110% confident in the gear i use! Would you be confident in saying Serato DJ is acceptable for live use? I really cannot at this time.

Please advise
Jay Free 1:27 PM - 24 December, 2012
and thanks Martin for your quick reply
Dj LoKi 12:45 AM - 25 December, 2012
i also experience USB drop outs randomly during my sets, even if there is a premix on for opening or closing set it will sometimes cut out for a second, my usb buffer size is at 256, it has done it as 512 as well... im running a brand new macbook pro thats maxed out, so i dont see it being my computer... is it possible that the programs compatibility with USB 3.0 ports still hasnt had all the bugs worked out??? thats one of the only logical ideas i can think of.
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:29 AM - 25 December, 2012
Hey Dj Loki,

Please start a separate help request so that someone from the support team can assist you individually, thanks :)

@ Jay Free,

You can find out the buffer size by going to SETUP > AUDIO. Moving the buffer size all the way to the right increases latency but can sometimes prevent audio drop outs.

You can check if you have auto gain enabled in the setup screen also under DJ PREFERENCES. Its usually a handy tool, but we have some theories about it causing minor drop outs with the DDJ-SX which we are still investigating.

Quote:
Would you be confident in saying Serato DJ is acceptable for live use?
I personally am confident in it, and have used Serato DJ at gigs with no issues. Unfortunately some issues only happen to some peoples setups, and aren't always easy to troubleshoot. I can understand your hesitation, and its only right that you play live with equipment you trust.

Maybe try going through this guide to optimize your computer and see if it makes any difference: serato.com
Jay Free 5:16 PM - 26 December, 2012
My pc runs perfect... I cannot be confident in using SDJ at a live gig. I'll hope for an update to address these issues. I'm VERY disappointed in this!
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:08 AM - 27 December, 2012
Ok sure, but some of that optimization stuff might help you though, sometimes issues can be caused by having bluetooth and Wifi enabled when DJing.

We are working very hard to investigate this issue and resolve it as soon as possible.

Have you tried repairing your disk and disk permissions? That could help with your delay when removing a file issue?
Jay Free 6:20 PM - 27 December, 2012
I never have bluetooth or wifi on. the mac never touches the internet unless for updates. what issues could there be with my disc?
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:20 PM - 30 December, 2012
I don't know what issues there could be exactly, but I have found in the past that repairing your permissions can help with all kinds of file issues.
Jay Free 10:27 PM - 30 December, 2012
how do i repair permissions?
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:27 AM - 3 January, 2013
Check out this little video: youtu.be

You can find it in Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility

Let me know if you have any questions.
Jay Free 7:24 PM - 6 January, 2013
did that... thanks
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:01 PM - 8 January, 2013
Any improvement?
Jay Free 11:38 PM - 8 January, 2013
still not comfortable to gig with it... dropouts are a nono
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:27 PM - 10 January, 2013
So what are the dropouts like at the moment? Are you able to make a video to capture it perhaps? Or is it tricky to know when it will happen?

Quote:
I have not tried in the offline player. it is just a visual thing but makes me leary about the software.

Have you been able to test this? Just curious if its a problem only when online/hardware connected/playing files etc, or it happens either way.
Jay Free 12:15 AM - 11 January, 2013
it seems to be online only when the controller is plugged in the delete lag shows.
I have not gigd with it so no idea when the dropouts would occur. Once I get my new case in I will take to a gig and see how it performs with better latency settings and disk utility run,

thanks
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:40 AM - 14 January, 2013
Ok let me know how you go :)

I should have asked earlier, but what are your computer specs?

serato.com

So even the delete lag DOESN'T happen when the DDJ-S1 is connected and your online etc?
Jay Free 2:07 PM - 14 January, 2013
I'm running a MBP 2.4 with 8gb ddr2. runs itch and SSL flawlessly. that is why I think it is a software issue in SDJ. thanks
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:08 AM - 16 January, 2013
Yes, well so far its something we have only seen happen with the DDJ-SX and Serato DJ, so it does seem that way.

Can you just clarify this for me though:

Quote:
So even the delete lag DOESN'T happen when the DDJ-S1 is connected and your online etc?

Jay Free 11:42 AM - 16 January, 2013
I'm saying the S1 runs smoother than the SX I think its that Itch is more stable... NEVER had a dropout wit itch!
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:56 PM - 16 January, 2013
I understand that, but I was just wondering if the delete lag issue specifically was still happening.

Its hard to determine whether this is software specific, or just something to do with computer architecture.
Jay Free 12:20 AM - 20 January, 2013
its not my PC is it software related... my pc runs ssl and itch like a champ... I'm taking the SX to a gig tonight... if it drops out I might drop it put the window on the way home lol
DJ Spaceraver 3:36 AM - 20 January, 2013
Jay ive had same problem with SX audio drop out mine crashed twice last night at a gig 5 hour set when ever its happened its always been about midnight and my S1 with itch has never had any problems i also use latest macbook pro.
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:15 PM - 20 January, 2013
Quote:
if it drops out I might drop it put the window on the way home lol

Ok, please let me know what happens, how many dropouts you have and how long they last for etc.

Quote:
Jay ive had same problem with SX audio drop out mine crashed twice last night at a gig 5 hour set when ever its happened its always been about midnight and my S1 with itch has never had any problems i also use latest macbook pro.

I don't think this is specifically the same issue, as I don't think Jay has had any crashes like yourself. If you are having issues like that, please start a separate help request so that we can assist you individually to try and troubleshoot the issue.

Jay Free 12:10 AM - 21 January, 2013
Martin,

Several 1 second hiccups and dropouts. I truly feel its a software issue! NEVER had these with this machine and SSL or itch!
Serato, Support
Martin C 8:41 AM - 21 January, 2013
Ok, so it still sounds like you are having the same dropouts (that I have mentioned of already) which we are trying very hard to investigate and resolve currently in the office.

A few questions:

- In the places you have had this happen, is vibration a factor at all maybe?
- Is it really a full 1 second, or is it less? Or More?
- Have you ever recorded a mix? Can the dropouts be heard in the recording?
- Does the playhead/waveform continue to move still? Or does it freeze briefly too?
- Are you able to save your system profile and send it to me?
Jay Free 11:47 AM - 21 January, 2013
- In the places you have had this happen, is vibration a factor at all maybe?
Not at all
- Is it really a full 1 second, or is it less? Or More?
Maybe less never looked at a stopwatch :)
when used at home none happen
- Does the playhead/waveform continue to move still? Or does it freeze briefly too?
it freezes breifley. Still does when I delete tracks live as well
How?
DJ_Instigator 12:20 PM - 21 January, 2013
Having the same "1 second" dropouts as Jay. I had 2 at Saturday night's gig. My waveform freezes, and I swear I saw the LED's dim for a split second. Never recorded long enough for a dropout. Never had this with my NS7 & Itch on the same machine.

2011 Macbook Pro (2.3Ghz i5) - 8GB RAM, Firewire800 External drive for music. OSX 10.8.2
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:42 AM - 22 January, 2013
Quote:

Is this because you don't use at much at home to notice enough? Or not for long period of times?

Quote:
How?

You can export the information from System Profiler as an XML file. To do this:

Launch System Profiler
Choose "File : Save As…" from the menu bar
Save the file where you like, ensuring it is in XML format

guides.macrumors.com

thanks!
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:43 AM - 22 January, 2013
Cheers DJ_Instigator, it would be great if you could start a separate help request so that someone can get some information from you individually :)
Jay Free 1:45 AM - 22 January, 2013
possibly I have only made my hour mix series at home never recorded for 3-4 hours... this is a HUGE disappointment. Can they make the controller Itch Compatible? problem solved until DJ is stable...
DJ JeffG 2:46 AM - 22 January, 2013
Just a note, as it may help Serato diagnose the culprit. I was having these dropouts in December, realized my laptop was on PowerSaver mode - switched power options to High performance and did not have another issue for 4 weeks of heavy use. Last saturday night while gigging, I had forgot that during the day I switch my laptop back to power saver (was on the road and needed my batteries to last), started getting the dropouts again (multiple 3-4 times the first 1.5 hours or so when I finally realized my power options were set wrong - switched to high performance mode and the thing performed like a champ the rest of the night. So I guess what I'm saying is it is probably related to how power is shared by the suspect computers internally to the USB and other peripherals. Hope this helps someone.
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:05 AM - 22 January, 2013
Thanks JeffG! Thats a really interesting piece of information.

I think Jay Free has already gone through those sorts of things, but it might be worth a double check. I will definitely be keeping your suggestion in mind when I come across others with this issue too. Its worth exploring for sure!

Quote:
possibly I have only made my hour mix series at home never recorded for 3-4 hours... this is a HUGE disappointment. Can they make the controller Itch Compatible? problem solved until DJ is stable...

No, there won't be another version of ITCH. Its possible that if ITCH did work with the DDJ-SX the same issues may continue.

If you did get a chance to do a longer recording, it would be awesome if you could let me know what happens and if they do show up in the recording or not. We are exploring as many avenues as possible to get to the bottom of this issue.
Jay Free 3:05 AM - 22 January, 2013
where is this setting?
Jay Free 11:39 AM - 22 January, 2013
why not just do a software update to address the issues of stability in general?
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:49 PM - 22 January, 2013
Quote:
why not just do a software update to address the issues of stability in general?

LOL how can they if they have no idea what is the issue???? That's why need you to give them as much info. And try as much stuff to find where the issue is. Could even end up being a hardware issue with the sx who knows.

The same audio dropout nightmare is in ITCH with the Vestax VCI-380.

So far no fix for that controller and software has ever been found!
Jay Free 1:32 PM - 22 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

LOL how can they if they have no idea what is the issue???? That's why need you to give them as much info. And try as much stuff to find where the issue is. Could even end up being a hardware issue with the sx who knows.

The same audio dropout nightmare is in ITCH with the Vestax VCI-380.

/quote]

I have given EVERY piece of info they have asked for. and I have NEVER had these issues with Itch and the S1
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:38 PM - 22 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Is this because you don't use at much at home to notice enough? Or not for long period of times?

Quote:
How?

You can export the information from System Profiler as an XML file. To do this:

Launch System Profiler
Choose "File : Save As…" from the menu bar
Save the file where you like, ensuring it is in XML format

guides.macrumors.com

thanks!

I don't see your answer to this yet.

Just keep working with them. And fingers crossed Serato find the issue.

I know there trying to collect info off a few users so hopefully they find what is wrong.
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:20 AM - 23 January, 2013
Thanks Jay Free, I know its frustrating, and if we could just "fix" it, trust me we would!

Really appreciate your co-operation so far, and would really appreciate if you were able to help with my last two questions too, however I understand if you are a bit fed up with the whole thing.
DJ Spaceraver 2:29 PM - 26 January, 2013
I'm thinking could any these problems be anything to do with electrics in bars and clubs because pioneer s1 can run from usb from mac without being plugged into mains but the pioneer sx has to be plugged in all the time so if theres some sort power surge or split secound power failer may corse problems between sx and computer just a thought cause i have same problem with sx and not with s1 but using sx at home no problems at all. I be using mine again at gig tonight if i have problems with mine again then i will start a separate help request.
DJ Aaron_SA 12:13 PM - 27 January, 2013
Experienced the same thing upgrading from 10.6.8 to Mountain Lion. Set USB buffer to max...prob solved.
DavidBuHau 1:01 AM - 28 January, 2013
usb buffer? is that a mac specific thing? i am having much the same issue on my pc, which is no slouch. i5/8GB/ssd... should not be dropping audio at 5ms latency
DavidBuHau 1:03 AM - 28 January, 2013
also, has anyone considered a reinstall of serato? that's my next step... sigh
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:50 AM - 31 January, 2013
Quote:
Experienced the same thing upgrading from 10.6.8 to Mountain Lion. Set USB buffer to max...prob solved.

So you had not experienced the issue previously when on 10.6.8? Or just the USB buffer helped?

In some cases, unfortunately the USB buffer has not helped others :(

Quote:
I be using mine again at gig tonight if i have problems with mine again then i will start a separate help request.

Thanks, that would be helpful :)

Quote:
usb buffer? is that a mac specific thing? i am having much the same issue on my pc, which is no slouch. i5/8GB/ssd... should not be dropping audio at 5ms latency

I would recommend starting a separate help request, as your issue may be slightly different. The issue Jay Free has been experiencing does seem to be mac only from what we know at this stage.
Jay Free 6:07 PM - 2 February, 2013
so not only did I have 4-5 dropouts last night AT a GIG. Serato DJ Crashed! I loaded a track on the right deck. No Time info No BPM info just a white circle then Poof Pinwheel! had to reboot! SERATO PLEASE Fix these issues as I love the hardware but your software sucks! I'll be going back to my S1 until these issues are resolved and by the looks of it, it will be a while. This post is over a month old and no update... When will there be a Software update?
Dj mike44 11:22 PM - 2 February, 2013
I'm using mountain lion osx 10.8.2 8 gig 1067 MHz 2.66 ghz intel core I'm having crashes and drop outs what I'm gathering is maximize USB buffer all the way to the right. Should I keep the latest update 111 because I was going to try version 1.1.0 tonight. I have 1.1.0 set up now and it crashed once during a day gig playing mp4 but not using or sending video to tv or projector just straight play 5 hours
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:30 AM - 4 February, 2013
Hey Jay Free,

Sorry to hear that! How long were the dropouts?

Are you able to retrieve the crash report and send it my way?

Quote:
In Mac OS X 10.7, crash logs are saved in the same location as in Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.x) and Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.x) except the ‘Library’ folder is hidden by default. To locate the Library folder, choose 'Go to Folder' from Finder’s 'Go' menu and type:

~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

e.g.~/ Library / Logs / DiagnosticReports/Scratch Live_10-10-101745_Sam Stokess_MBP.

TIP: To make the Library folder permanently visible in Mac OSX Lion, type the following command in Terminal:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

Have you analyzed all your files and ensured none of them are showing the corrupt file symbol? Were you using an external drive/USB in this situation perhaps?

@Dj mike44 , please start a separate help request detailing your issue. It is a lot easier for us to help you individually.

Jay Free 12:02 PM - 4 February, 2013
Martin I will see about the crash file... no corupt files and internal HD. When is an update coming?
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:20 PM - 6 February, 2013
I can't say exactly when the next update is, buts its fairly soon. We have been investigating the small audio dropouts a lot recently too, and have made some positive progress, so hopefully we can provide some resolution for that too!

Thanks.
Jay Free 9:32 PM - 6 February, 2013
that is kind of promising...
Serato, Support
Martin C 8:06 AM - 18 April, 2013
Hey Jay Free,

I forgot to check back! How have the drop outs been since using 1.1.2?
Jay Free 10:49 AM - 18 April, 2013
seems better
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:41 AM - 19 April, 2013
Are you still having some dropouts, but less than before? OR no dropouts since?
Jay Free 3:53 PM - 19 April, 2013
I had a slight drop last night...
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:49 AM - 21 April, 2013
Are they same kind, very short ones? Or longer ones, including the software freezing up perhaps?

Does the USB dropout light appear in the top right hand corner?

Do you have WiFi/Bluetooth and other applications closed in the background?
Jay Free 1:52 PM - 21 April, 2013
always very short never a software freeze no usb light nothing else running.
Serato, Support
Martin C 7:34 AM - 23 April, 2013
So these would be the same exact style of dropouts as your previously experienced, yet less in frequency?

Is there anything particular you would be doing at the time? Like engaging an effect, or selecting an effect?

Perhaps loading a new file to the deck?
Jay Free 11:57 AM - 23 April, 2013
no just in mid play
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:09 AM - 24 April, 2013
So these would be the same exact style of dropouts as your previously experienced, yet less in frequency?

Have you ever tried using a different computer and seeing if the same kinds of dropouts happen?

Do you still switch off bluetooth/wifi?

Do you use Auto Gain?
Jay Free 10:46 AM - 24 April, 2013
multiple macbook pros with 8gb ram no bluetooth/wifi on and no autogain
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:14 AM - 29 April, 2013
Alright, well I will just quickly recap what we have explored already.

Quote:
- USB buffer size moved all the way to the right (1024)
- WiFi/Bluetooth switched off/other adjustments made: serato.com
- Not using Auto Gain
- Not using an external drive

Have you had any software crashes lately?

Please try resetting your preference file by following these instructions:

Quote:
MAC
1. Open up a finder window and click your Macintosh HD icon.
-- If you are running OSX 10.7.5 or 10.8+
-- Once the finder window opens click GO on your top task bar HOLD the "OPTION" key and "Library" will appear. Click LIBRARY.
-- Move onto step 4.
2. Click on your user profile 'House' icon.
3. Click on 'Library'.
4. Click on 'Preferences'.
5. COPY the "com.serato.dj.plist" and "com.serato.seratodj.plist" file to your desktop.
6. Now Delete the 'Serato.DJ.plist files from the preference folder.
7. Reinstall SERATO DJ 1.1.2
8. Connect your DDJ-SX and launch SERATO DJ 1.1.2

Jay Free 7:10 PM - 29 April, 2013
I'm all set in doing all this to fix an occasional glitch, the software should just WORK like itch or SSL...
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:11 PM - 30 April, 2013
You are right, yes it should...and for most people it does, but for whatever reason it doesn't for you. So I am trying my best to think of things we can try, so we can hopefully troubleshoot this issue until its resolved.

If you are happy to put up with the occasional glitch and hope that a software update fixes it (I can't guarantee it will) then thats cool. But if you do have the time/are happy to try my suggestions, Im always willing to do what I can to investigate new ideas for us to go through.

In the mean time I will be keeping my eye out for anyone else reporting this issue to see if anyone has any luck trying anything else we perhaps haven't thought of yet.