Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Tracks drifting?

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Numark Mixtrack Pro
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Jerry.Z. 10:44 PM - 22 December, 2012
I seem to be noticing drifting.
For example ill have the incoming track on a loop locked and completely beat matched. Then about 10 to 15 sec after Ive had it on loop it seems to drift. Which then the track is no longer beat matched. This is really annoying!
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:08 AM - 24 December, 2012
Hey Jerry.Z,

Do you have Beatgrids on your files?

Are you using Auto Loops or manual loops? If the loop is slightly inaccurate, over a period of time, it could definitely fall out sync with your other track.

Perhaps you could make a small video to show me exactly whats happening for you?

Thanks
Jerry.Z. 10:10 PM - 24 December, 2012
I can do a video for you. Where do I send the video? thanks for your help.
Serato, Support
Martin C 7:40 AM - 25 December, 2012
You can use the "Attach A File" button to upload the video to this help request so I can have a look.

Its a grey button just underneath my avatar.

3:09 AM, 26 Dec 2012
Jerry.Z. attached a file: Screen Shot 2012-12-25 at 7.08.23 PM.png
View· Permalink
Jerry.Z. 3:14 AM - 26 December, 2012
Noticed how the two kicks are aligned perfectly by the cursor. Now the highlighted loop on deck A doesn't start on the kick. It starts a bit before. I believe this is causing the drift. Its odd because it seems so far that I can't get this track to have the loop start on the kick, unlike other tracks I can. Any input on how I can start the loop on the kick? Thanks.
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:53 AM - 27 December, 2012
Ok, thanks for the pic. I would recommend having beatgrids for files like this. The loop should then snap to the beatgrid rather than the transient (which it has got slightly wrong in this scenario)

You can do the following things:

A: Disconnect the controller, tick "Set Beatgrids" then drag and drop that track onto the "analyze files" button. It should create a beatgrid automatically on that file.

B: Check out this section on Beatgrids in the manual, this will show you how to edit them manually whether your controller is connected or not: serato.com

C: The "Smart Sync" Tutorial has a quick run through of how beatgrids can help and how you can edit them: serato.com

Let me know if this helps :)
saNppa 1:25 PM - 27 December, 2012
This is a result due to dropping the second decimal out of BMP. It's not that accurate anymore.
Jerry.Z. 6:23 PM - 27 December, 2012
Im sorry I dont understand. Both bpm's are 110.2.
Jerry.Z. 6:25 PM - 27 December, 2012
Thanks MArtin C. ill try this.
saNppa 9:19 PM - 27 December, 2012
Quote:
Im sorry I dont understand. Both bpm's are 110.2.

Those readings aren't that accured. They could actually be 110.15 and 110.24 to show it as 110.2.
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:30 PM - 30 December, 2012
Let me know how you go Jerry.Z :)
Jerry.Z. 5:39 PM - 11 January, 2013
Hey Martin sorry for the late response, but ive been having set beat grid checked, and I re analyzed the file.. same problem still. Any thoughts? thanks.
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:13 AM - 14 January, 2013
Did it make a beatgrid on the file though? You may have to manually edit the beatgrid in order to get it bang on: serato.com

Would you be able to send me the file in particular?
2:17 AM, 14 Jan 2013
Jerry.Z. attached a file: 01 Keep On Movin\'.m4a
Download· Permalink
Jerry.Z. 2:20 AM - 14 January, 2013
heres the file. thank you.
Serato, Support
Martin C 8:22 AM - 15 January, 2013
Ok cheers. That file is a live band with a live drummer, which means the drums throughout the song aren't always going to be as precise as electronically produced music.

I think however, the Beatgrid is pretty accurate throughout, although it did slip in some places and more so in the end of the song. I think in some areas of the song you might struggle to get a perfect loop, but if you went through and manually set grid markers you might be able to make it easier.

However if you are mixing this song with another live drummed song, this only adds more room for error. Perhaps its just a matter of going around the parts of the song you would typically mix in and out and spend time manually adjusting those Beatgrids.
9:02 AM, 29 Jan 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.