DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Jermaine Durpri claims the DJ is DEAD

iRockCrowds 4:52 PM - 2 June, 2008
dirtbag filthy 5:21 PM - 2 June, 2008
fuck that lil pedo...most djs are out there making no money, plus no weight in the industry and still grindin in the clubs for less money than they were making a few years back..a good chunk do it just for the love of moving a crowd no matter what the pay

djs play what the people wanna hear and the people are stupid... so they have to play the new crap thats on the radio in the club or no one dances
iRockCrowds 5:48 PM - 2 June, 2008
Quote:
fuck that lil pedo...most djs are out there making no money, plus no weight in the industry and still grindin in the clubs for less money than they were making a few years back..a good chunk do it just for the love of moving a crowd no matter what the pay

djs play what the people wanna hear and the people are stupid... so they have to play the new crap thats on the radio in the club or no one dances

damn way to hit the nail on the head...
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:01 PM - 2 June, 2008
Damn, I hate to say it but he is on point about that "Race with the Baton shit" (that shit was funny but so true). DJ's are so busy trying to make their own remixes and "ONE UP" the producers that they aren't breaking the music like back in the day.

With Radio being what it is, it is definitely harder for a DJ to make a impact from the streets. When someone here mentioned the Pittsburg Slim track "Girls Kiss Girls", we collectively got on that track and tried to blow it up. Not sure if it would have blown up anyway, but I think we made a difference.

Over the weekend I passed a cut called Donuts on to a few people here at the request of the producer. I used to have to drive to New York and Chicago and hand DJ's vinyl at the club to try and get a tune to blow up.

The game has definitely changed. Can DJ's break a record from the streets like the old days?

I may holla at my boy (Marc Kinchen who did Push The Feeling - Nightcrawlers) and do a mass push here on Donuts to prove the DJ ain't dead. (Guess i need to run it through White Label.net to keep the Mods happy).

shamelss plug - the video: vids.myspace.com
dj_elite 7:06 PM - 2 June, 2008
i posted this on there:

the DJ isn’t dead, he’s just evolved with the game.

i do agree about the ‘running with the baton’ part- i try not to do that- i’m focused on being a DJ, not a producer, rapper, remixer, whatever- i like rocking parties and that’s what i do. i hone that craft. but i know a lot of people who do exactly what JD says.

but with commercial radio being what it is nowadays, the DJ does not have POWER like he used to. in the days of mr. magic and similar, hip hop was not this super commercialized mega corporation that it is now. there was one hip hop radio show and what was on there was what got popular.

most DJ’s don’t LOVE everything thats out there. shit, you think i want to sit in a hot sweaty club till 2am playing lollipop, cyclone and low EVERY SINGLE NIGHT? people are sheep and slaves to the radio. if we play new hot artists nobody’s ever heard of and try to break them… guess what? nobody dances, and we lose our jobs. it’s not so black and white as its put out.

last point… with the growth of hip hop, everyone thinks they can be a rapper now. i’m nowhere near big time, and i get way too many demos from people who SUCK plain and simple. if i played even half of the tracks i get from every dumbass up and coming wannabe rapper, i’d be out of a job. then again, i would have laughed soulja boy out of the building if that insult to hip hop handed me a CD with ‘crank dat’ a year ago, so maybe i’m not quite ‘in tune.’
bourbonstmc 7:24 PM - 2 June, 2008
The "Donuts" song is hot! I find myself walking around singing the hook. With the right promotion, that shit could get big!
dj bedtime 7:31 PM - 2 June, 2008
Hmmm-- The logical part of me says..

A song about donuts?!?!!? What the fuck?? Who would listen to that and actually dance to such a stupid song.

The dj in me says..

Crowds are stupid and will dance to anything that they remotely think is hot. They dont listen to lyrics and wont notice that this song is about donuts.
bourbonstmc 7:39 PM - 2 June, 2008
Exhibit A:

What you gon’ do with all that junk?
All that junk inside your trunk?
I’ma get, get, get, get, you drunk,
Get you love drunk off my hump.
My hump, my hump, my hump, my hump, my hump,
My hump, my hump, my hump, my lovely little lumps. (Check it out)

I drive these brothers crazy,
I do it on the daily,
They treat me really nicely,
They buy me all these ice-ys.
Dolce & Gabbana,
Fendi and then Donna
Karan, they be sharin’
All their money got me wearin’
Fly gearrr but I ain’t askin,
They say they love my ass ‘n,
Se7en Jeans, True Religion,
I say no, but they keep givin’
So I keep on takin’
And no I ain’t taken
We can keep on datin’
I keep on demonstrating.

My love, my love, my love, my love
You love my lady lumps,
My hump, my hump, my hump,
My humps they got u,
She’s got me spending.
(Oh) Spendin’ all your money on me and spending time on me.
She’s got me spendin’.
(Oh) Spendin’ all your money on me, on me, on me
sixxx 7:42 PM - 2 June, 2008
The DJ can still make a difference. You need to believe this or YOU are on the wrong path. Even if you only play clubs (no radio) you can make a difference on what hits.

Yes, the radio helps. But how many times have you played a song at your club or gig that's getting a lot of spins on radio and it bombs the dance floor?

How many of you break or try to break new music? There are methods to breaking music and either you don't know them cause you're a microwave, or you're too tired and gave up.

DJ's are dead? Then, why are record labels still calling me up on the daily to play their shit? What about the local cat who came to the club and asked me to play his song a few weeks back?

The DJ ain't dead...
dj bedtime 7:48 PM - 2 June, 2008
Ok-- I'm on my 11th listen in a row to the donut song...

I'm hooked man! I have people in my office checking it out too-- and they are loving it.

hahahah
bourbonstmc 7:49 PM - 2 June, 2008
I'm telling you: that shit is catchy!
Niro 8:13 PM - 2 June, 2008
I have to agree, the type of DJ JD is talking about is dead. DJing has evolved into something different than just playing or trying to break new music. This has been prevalent in the EDM scene and is really starting to show up more in the main stream. The DJ is now an artist himself (yes there are a lot of bad ones, just like everything else.) Like, JD said, when you pass him a CD, he's trying passing one back at you.

I remember when Vice mag. wrote a story on how easy it was to DJ. The article was pretty on point, especially from a public stand point. Man did that stir up a lot of talk, fact is: to be a decent/good DJ is easy, because the bar has risen. The guys still DJing the same way need to catch up or step to the side and not try to eat off of name recognition. And I'm not only talking about just actual skills, I'm talking about all aspects of the DJ as an Artist/entertainer.

Yes the Rapper's/background DJ is dead and has been dead for sometime.

Niros
Socross 8:36 PM - 2 June, 2008
Yeah, I really think what he's saying is "The DJ is dead to US, since he doesn't promote tracks like he used to." I understand what he's saying, but I don't think the blame is on the DJ. (and I'm not sure he's trying to blame DJ's anyway.)

I think that dance floors are a lot more picky than they used to be, so it's harder for working dj's to play new stuff and break tracks. Not impossible, but harder. Also, there isn't much incentive for us to do that. I don't get gigs because I break new tracks!

So while I see what he's saying, I kinda want to reply "Boo hoo, now you might actually have to promote your own shit!"
sixxx 8:44 PM - 2 June, 2008
Maybe I should watch the video interviews... too bad I can't right now.

Mmhhh. Someone transcribe them for me. lol
Freedom 8:56 PM - 2 June, 2008
Blame it on money.... If we just take a track and play it, theres no orginallity to our set. When Mike was around scratching was innovative now scratchin is everyones 2nd skill set. So for someone to be innovative and different they have to remix or push stuff farther from the regular digiwaxx force fed bunch.

If we where to just push what he pushes to digiwaxx and every other dj service. There would be no orginality in being creative from selection and then why would people hire different djs.
DeeJay*CASPER 9:32 PM - 2 June, 2008
its like they say....respect and love your craft and die miserable......
stevie o 9:51 PM - 2 June, 2008
fuck a dupri
Logisticalstyles 10:58 PM - 2 June, 2008
fuck that little bitch. always runnin off at the mouth about dumb shit.

If labels (including his) started putting out better music the DJs would support these songs more. Everything he said about the DJ actually can said about people in his position. If DJs continued to operate like they did back in the "Whodini" days we sould suffer the same repercusions all over again. Our shows would end up getting dropped and record labels would play us to the back and not sign us. DJs put in more time and money towards thier craft than any other element in Hip-hop, yet we are the least compensated. Some wack ass rapper with no skills and experience can easilly make more money in a record contract than the experienced DJ with his/her own equipment. Most hip-hop groups don't have a DJ as a part of the group, they just have tour or show DJ. That's why DJs aren't operating like this is 1983.

I think JD is mad because he probably has to fork out some loot to get his Franchise boys played or his remix of Superman Dat hoe, or whatever bullshit he's currently promoting. Or maybe he is mad because DJs ain't really playing his baby's music like he thinks they should.
a-swift 11:20 PM - 2 June, 2008
Quote:

A song about donuts?!?!!? What the fuck?? Who would listen to that and actually dance to such a stupid song.

you're kidding me right? a majority of the BIG HITS are as stupid or more stupid than a song about donuts.

let's see:

* back that ass up
* crank dat
* batman song (any of them)
* macarena
* lean like a cholo
* lean wit it
* pop lock & drop it
* lollipop
* cupid shuffle
* laffy taffy

man I could go on all day. tell me one of those tracks is less stupid than a song about eating donuts.
DVDjHardy 11:39 PM - 2 June, 2008
Quote:
fuck that little bitch. always runnin off at the mouth about dumb shit.

If labels (including his) started putting out better music the DJs would support these songs more. Everything he said about the DJ actually can said about people in his position. If DJs continued to operate like they did back in the "Whodini" days we sould suffer the same repercusions all over again. Our shows would end up getting dropped and record labels would play us to the back and not sign us. DJs put in more time and money towards thier craft than any other element in Hip-hop, yet we are the least compensated. Some wack ass rapper with no skills and experience can easilly make more money in a record contract than the experienced DJ with his/her own equipment. Most hip-hop groups don't have a DJ as a part of the group, they just have tour or show DJ. That's why DJs aren't operating like this is 1983.

I think JD is mad because he probably has to fork out some loot to get his Franchise boys played or his remix of Superman Dat hoe, or whatever bullshit he's currently promoting. Or maybe he is mad because DJs ain't really playing his baby's music like he thinks they should.

Amen!

And DJs do push the songs they like, there are just very few to like when it comes to mainstream music as a few people already pointed out earlier.

Stick to making a quick buck off of your connections JD, because the DJs will be around as long as music is being made. Dirtbag label owners on the other hand are indespensible now, thanks to the internet.

PS - I'm in the market for a used luxury car. So if you're reading this, JD, sell me one of yours now and it'll help come bankruptcy 2.0!!!
Audio1 11:43 PM - 2 June, 2008
What Sixxx said is true. The DJ does exist. I personally am selective about what I play and will not delve into anything/everything just because it is handed to me. Why are labels calling? Why the fuck is Roscoe Umali calling me up asking for spins on his latest single with whatever hot established artist wants to fuck with him? (Thanks Digiwaxx for giving him my number, LOL)

We put in the most effort and most money into our craft and we get dissed the hardest. An iPod will never replace a true DJ. My homie Greg and I were talking about this recently. You ever been to club and they had a mix CD playing. The crowd is just vibing out, not paying any mind, but the moment they see you up there and you go live, The atmosphere changes. A shame these crap muthafuckas think that way. Might have to delete "MONEY AINT A THANG" off my SSL playlist.
Culprit 11:47 PM - 2 June, 2008
lol @ dj's are dead.. dj felli fell is signed to so so def, why sign a dj if they are dead?
sixxx 11:54 PM - 2 June, 2008
Quote:
Thanks Digiwaxx for giving him my number, LOL

lol
4onthfloor 11:55 PM - 2 June, 2008
When he refers to Mr. Magic, etc...those were the very early days of DJing (also back when more "DJs" were also radio hosts, including Mr. Magic). It, like all things, has now evolved. Breaking new records in a commercial club arena before the radio has had a chance to get those songs in people's heads is virtually non-existent, because like others on here said, people want to dance to what they are familiar with. A song needs to be on the radio here for at least a few weeks before people will even start to recognize it at my club. I admit that there are genres that still embrace the ethos of constant new music in the nightclub, but in the commercial setting that's just not the case. It has turned into feeding the sharks what they want to eat. This message brought to you by Clear Channel.
Dj BuddyLove 11:58 PM - 2 June, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

you're kidding me right? a majority of the BIG HITS are as stupid or more stupid than a song about donuts.

let's see:

* back that ass up
* crank dat
* batman song (any of them)
* macarena
* lean like a cholo
* lean wit it
* pop lock & drop it
* lollipop
* cupid shuffle
* laffy taffy

man I could go on all day. tell me one of those tracks is less stupid than a song about eating donuts.

what about this one..
kid sister - pro nails
rcrdlbl.com

this song is god awful
but catchy
its gonna blow up..
dj bedtime 1:24 AM - 3 June, 2008
Swift--

Like I said-- that was the "logical" side of me..

The dj side is loving this track. I have to had clocked like 20+ listens today alone. Chicks in my office are all checking it out too.

Passed that shit on to Dj Enrie here in LA and he was loving it too. Networkin this song right now seeing if we can blow it up for Art and Marc
dead serious 1:44 AM - 3 June, 2008
beyond late with the pro nails, LOL
Dj BuddyLove 1:54 AM - 3 June, 2008
^^well guess i have been out of the loop for awhile.
been to busy ripping my collection to be on the new music train.
ooh well
DJ Sniffles 3:03 AM - 3 June, 2008
Hahaha Pro Nails is almost 1 1/2 years old
Dj BuddyLove 3:13 AM - 3 June, 2008
ooh well been out the loop fao longer than i thought..

hahahahah lol
plus i dont really listen to that type of crap.

edm/ebm/idm for me
Martin McFly 3:40 AM - 3 June, 2008
Sounds like JD is mad someone else in the chain is getting money... STFU and go find Janet.
dj buterd hams 3:46 AM - 3 June, 2008
what edm,ebm,idm?
Dj BuddyLove 3:56 AM - 3 June, 2008
^^wikipidia
frost-9 4:33 AM - 3 June, 2008
promote what? music sucks ass now.
mister_wilson 8:17 AM - 3 June, 2008
i don't agree with "dancefloors" being pickier. times were different when jd was a background dancer for whodini. hip hop was a niche and the core audience understood the asthetics of the music and not what was beat into their heads. back then all hip hop deejays HAD TO break records becaus the majority of the hip hop audience was musically aware and wanted to be stimulated and was hungry for newness all the time. fast forward to 2008 and the audience for hip hop is not always niche of fans focused on the music, but more often a random group of youngish people who are just mass media consumers. they read, watch and listen to whatever is getting the heaviest marketing push. it is hard to break a record playing for these crowds because they have no sense of musical asthetics.

just because you are playing songs with rapping in it and you love hip hop, doesn't mean you are spinning for a musically aware audience. if you are playing low, lollipop,and cyclone every night, you already know you are just a IPOD with good timing. if you are getting paid and you have some other kinds of showmanship you bring to deejaying, good for you. but as far as the music goes, you are not the legacy of mister magic...you are the legacy of rick dees...

unfortunately jd should recognize that his pop sensibilities are what hurt his relationshipt to deejays. he isn't independent and niche the way whodini was back in the day. does he really want to go back to '85 and make whodini money while he is posted up in his million dollar studio?

misterwilson

p.s. i play little known records all the time and i get a good response, when i play for clients that want to attract a musically aware audience. sometimes i take mainstream gigs to make some ends, but i know the role and the audience in this situation.
Dj BuddyLove 8:55 AM - 3 June, 2008
Quote:
if you are playing low, lollipop,and cyclone every night, you already know you are just a IPOD with good timing

hahaha so f*ckin true!!! best quote ever

Quote:
p.s. i play little known records all the time and i get a good response, when i play for clients that want to attract a musically aware audience. sometimes i take mainstream gigs to make some ends, but i know the role and the audience in this situation.

same here!!! amen
The Scene Kings 11:24 AM - 3 June, 2008
what fuckin joke...hip hop sucks now that's why we aren't playing it much anymore. EDM making a huge comeback in our area.
frost-9 11:26 AM - 3 June, 2008
well stated mr. wilson.
Dj BuddyLove 11:45 AM - 3 June, 2008
Quote:
what fuckin joke...hip hop sucks now that's why we aren't playing it much anymore. EDM making a huge comeback in our area.

EDM FOR LIFE!!!! :)

P.L.U.R.
javlingames 11:49 AM - 3 June, 2008
He cant even string a sentance together, the teacher analogy? wtf was that? who is jermain capri anyway? sorry dupri.

When was the last time i was asked for a jermain dupri track?
nik39 1:18 PM - 3 June, 2008
Quote:
DJs put in more time and money towards thier craft than any other element in Hip-hop

Uhm... you're kidding right?

Did you ever see how much time b-boys spend into training their skills and how little monetary return they get? Ever thought of sprayers/graffiti artists? DJ's and MC's get paid the most in the Hip Hop game, no doubt about that.
nik39 1:25 PM - 3 June, 2008
About JD: I mean the same could be said about producers. No creativity. Even JD was copying Puffys productions back in the days. Geez. All the same.
SELECT 2:26 PM - 3 June, 2008
I agree with JD 100%

As far as Im concerned hes not directing it at me or anyone in my network. He is directing it at all the new jack "mixtape" djs who are more interested in self promotion than actually DJn. Hes so right on this one. Everyone now is a DJ/Clue wannabe, producer/fruity loop beat maker, MC/dipset wannabe, etc. Its disgusting. Coming from where hes sitting at, Im sure he gets alot of that shit coming his way. I could only imaging how many "mixtape" Djs/MC/producers/dancer/singer/basketweaver hand him a CD every week.
Groove45 2:57 PM - 3 June, 2008
There's obviously many sides to this discussion as SELECT would say "DJ/clue wannabe,producer...." The image of the DJ has changed in the last 20yrs. It's called evolution. As you get influenced by what you play over the years. You become familar with what's hot on the dance floor. In-turn ,you make your own remixes, beats, style of mixing ect..But, all of us DJ's have to keep in mind the integrity of what the Dj is really about! Rocking crowds, playin the joints you like to play. Be sides you can't take JD's "DJs are Dead" literaly, cuz when he DJs for Puffy or who ever, he gets paid 100k!!!!!
SELECT 3:08 PM - 3 June, 2008
Again, JD wasnt talking about the artform of DJn being dead. Hes talking about the guys that use the label of a DJ to self promote themselves as artists. What you think your getting is a real "mixtape" from a DJ, but in in reality is a 15 track compilation of some unknown wannabe dipset, lil something or another.
stevie o 4:02 PM - 3 June, 2008
Dj clue should pay his audience to listen to him. I have never technically heard anything worse than clues mixes. He can't scratch, his blends are off beat, his track selection is inconsistent, and he doesn't have a likeable personality on the mic. He is a true example of its not what you know, its who you know. The same goes for mister cee. I know all California DJs may not know where I'm coming from, but being from new York I am forced to listen to sub par washed up DJs.
Satellite radio = best invention ever.
bourbonstmc 4:04 PM - 3 June, 2008
Quote:
i don't agree with "dancefloors" being pickier. times were different when jd was a background dancer for whodini. hip hop was a niche and the core audience understood the asthetics of the music and not what was beat into their heads. back then all hip hop deejays HAD TO break records becaus the majority of the hip hop audience was musically aware and wanted to be stimulated and was hungry for newness all the time. fast forward to 2008 and the audience for hip hop is not always niche of fans focused on the music, but more often a random group of youngish people who are just mass media consumers. they read, watch and listen to whatever is getting the heaviest marketing push. it is hard to break a record playing for these crowds because they have no sense of musical asthetics.

just because you are playing songs with rapping in it and you love hip hop, doesn't mean you are spinning for a musically aware audience. if you are playing low, lollipop,and cyclone every night, you already know you are just a IPOD with good timing. if you are getting paid and you have some other kinds of showmanship you bring to deejaying, good for you. but as far as the music goes, you are not the legacy of mister magic...you are the legacy of rick dees...

unfortunately jd should recognize that his pop sensibilities are what hurt his relationshipt to deejays. he isn't independent and niche the way whodini was back in the day. does he really want to go back to '85 and make whodini money while he is posted up in his million dollar studio?

misterwilson

+ 1,000,000
Post of the year!
cappinkirk 7:07 PM - 3 June, 2008
he's dead as a rapper and I wish he would STOP!

every time I hear a song with him in it I hate it (two that come to mind are finer things remix and get silly remix [although the get silly remix sucks anyway])

since 1492 and money ain't a thang era I have not been down with mr. dupri

but he's got more money than me so I guess I can't hate too hard!!!
cappinkirk 7:14 PM - 3 June, 2008
...and if just five more rappers come up to me with garbage demo cd's I can finally finish my mansion built out of garbage rap demos
Maskrider 9:17 PM - 3 June, 2008
For Producers.... All I can say is Stop doing novelty Songs and make Timeless records.

And about what Mister Wilson said.... It's actually true Every Dj in my area has his IPOD MODE....I'm just hoping that the crowd (known as Sheeps) will turn into Wolves.
DJ Evil One 11:09 PM - 3 June, 2008
i didn't listen to that shit...

but jermaine dupri has always been a style biting, trend hopping, step behind douche. he is only the best producer in the game in his own mind.
Logisticalstyles 11:42 PM - 3 June, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
DJs put in more time and money towards thier craft than any other element in Hip-hop

Did you ever see how much time b-boys spend into training their skills and how little monetary return they get? Ever thought of sprayers/graffiti artists? DJ's and MC's get paid the most in the Hip Hop game, no doubt about that.

Word I guess that piece of cardboard ,and can of paint out weigh the money I spent on my 1200s, countless mixers, speakers, cables, mics for the mcs, transportation for all that shit plus records, CD or MP3s.

I've been doing this since 1991, I still have not recouped all the money I've spent on all of the above mentioned gear. The more money I make DJing, the more shit I buy.
nik39 11:52 PM - 3 June, 2008
Quote:
Word I guess that piece of cardboard ,and can of paint out weigh the money

lol.

So you think it is a piece of cardboard? That's all? What about all the time? I mean alllllll the time they practise their moves?

Now think about how many DJ's get paid vs. the number of b-boys or graf-artists who get paid.

Quote:
I still have not recouped all the money I've spent on all of the above mentioned gear.

Don't tell me about it - other people spend their money on cars, I used to spend it on vinyl! However, I am getting a little bit of that money back by doing gigs. It is very hard for b-boys/graf's to earn some money. What was the last time you went to a real hip-hop jam (not just a concert! a *jam*)? I tell you what - usually the music artists get some money, free drinks, VIP etc. - the b-boys get some water coupons and stuff.

Why? Simple fact that DJ'ing and MC'ing went commercial. Nowaydays to many hiphop is equal to baggy pants, ecko gear, and rap. They don't know nothing about the foundations of hiphop and its culture. There is only little interest in bboying and graf. As you can't make big money "selling" these "goods" (bboying/graf) it lost its commercial value... or better, it never got big like the music aspect of hiphop.
bboyrealone 12:05 AM - 4 June, 2008
This would actually bother me if JD was good at anything. He sucks as a producer and is worse at being and emcee, so what he says will fall on deaf ears, just like his last album. F JD and Lil Wayne, we'll see were they are in a couple of years.
Logisticalstyles 12:13 AM - 4 June, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Word I guess that piece of cardboard ,and can of paint out weigh the money

lol.

So you think it is a piece of cardboard? That's all? What about all the time? I mean alllllll the time they practise their moves?

Now think about how many DJ's get paid vs. the number of b-boys or graf-artists who get paid.

Quote:
I still have not recouped all the money I've spent on all of the above mentioned gear.

Don't tell me about it - other people spend their money on cars, I used to spend it on vinyl! However, I am getting a little bit of that money back by doing gigs. It is very hard for b-boys/graf's to earn some money. What was the last time you went to a real hip-hop jam (not just a concert! a *jam*)? I tell you what - usually the music artists get some money, free drinks, VIP etc. - the b-boys get some water coupons and stuff.

Why? Simple fact that DJ'ing and MC'ing went commercial. Nowaydays to many hiphop is equal to baggy pants, ecko gear, and rap. They don't know nothing about the foundations of hiphop and its culture. There is only little interest in bboying and graf. As you can't make big money "selling" these "goods" (bboying/graf) it lost its commercial value... or better, it never got big like the music aspect of hiphop.

DJs practice alot as well.

Just as DJs CAN get paid more according to the variety of music they can play so can graf artists, and dancers. Alot of the older wiser hip-hop artists adapted thier style to make it financially viable for them to continue to support thier life style.

Graf Artist making money:
pureg.net

Hip-Hop dance not not commercial?
www.fox.com

Maybe I missed "So You Think You Can DJ", or "American Disc Jockey" or "Spinning with The Sars", but it seems to me like lately hiphop dancers have way more opportunities to scratch out a living and get exposure based on thier hip-hop element.

Also don't forget the movies for the dancers: Honey, Step up 1 and 2, Bring it on 1-3, Stomp The Yard, Save the last dance, etc.... And don't forget music videos as well.

The b-boys and girls at the party don't make any money from it because the party is basically for them. They are the dancers after all.
nik39 12:21 AM - 4 June, 2008
Quote:
Alot of the older wiser hip-hop artists adapted thier style to make it financially viable for them to continue to support thier life style.

True. But this only a very little percentage.

Quote:
Graf Artist making money:

It would be dumb to say that there are no graf's who make money - that was not what I was trying to say. Same applies to b-boys. The exception proves the rule ;)

Quote:
Hip-Hop dance not not commercial?

*cough* mention that to b-boys - they gonna kick your ass ;) We're not talking about "hip hop dance" - I am talking about breakdance. And never mention "Honey" or "Save the last dance" to a b-boy.

Quote:
The b-boys and girls at the party don't make any money from it because the party is basically for them. They are the dancers after all.

Haha. I put it off as you were trying to be funny.

lol.

*still laughing* :)
Logisticalstyles 2:50 AM - 4 June, 2008
'Hip-Hop Dance" and all those examples show how the element of breakdancing has become commercialized. Those categories in the dance competitions and the choreography in the movies is all based directly off of breaking. They just sanitized it and packaged it in a manner that is more acceptable to the mainstream.

Nowaydays to many hiphop is equal to baggy pants, ecko gear, and rap. They don't know nothing about the foundations of hiphop and its culture. There is only little interest in bboying and graf. As you can't make big money "selling" these "goods" ...

That echo gear is created by a graf artist that I would say makes more than any DJ I've met. The truth is you can make big money selling those goods. It's just all about how hard you work and push those goods. It's like DJing. I just think DJs put forth the most financial effort and have not gotten the full return on thier investment.

So if nobody dances was it even a party? And, whose fault was it? (Blame the DJ)
dj buterd hams 3:09 AM - 4 June, 2008
logisticalstyles that was a dont site men pureg.net
nik39 10:17 AM - 4 June, 2008
Quote:
That echo gear is created by a graf artist that I would say makes more than any DJ I've met.

The point was that some people think you ain't hiphop if you don't wear baggy pants, ecko gear and sip on a 40, say "nahmean", "word" etc in every second sentence. ;)
Logisticalstyles 10:18 PM - 4 June, 2008
Quote:
logisticalstyles that was a dont site men pureg.net

?????
dirtbag filthy 11:26 PM - 4 June, 2008
i just got a email telling me JD is djing in vegas with nelly...

8 year olds dude
djbigboy 10:31 PM - 6 June, 2008
Sorry-

I feel totally disrespected by what JD said. He's thinking of the old days, when an artists could put out vinyl and if you got that vinyl, it was like you were special. Not every artist could put out vinyl, so there was some talent there. But now days with MP3s, anyone can put out mp3s. I could go home right now, I put out a song by MC YT. The industry ate itself. If we played everything that was emailed, handed to us, given to us by a friend, we would be playing crap all night. Its our jobs to play the hot shit and quality speaks for itself.

As far as radio, for the average dj, radio is getting tracks way before most (and I say most, some djs get some stuff wayy ahead of everyone else). I do believe that every dj out there should be going out and looking for the hot ish. Be the first in your area to break a record. I dislike the avg dj that waits to play a record because its not on the radio. If you are FEELING a record, play it, put some weight on it.

Personally, I do play a lot of stuff thats played over and over again on radio. But, SOME of that stuff, I think I was on it before radio, and helped that record. We should strive for that as much as we can.

So whatever JD is talking about, he's not realistic. He sounds like a spoiled brat who is used to everyone kissing his ass. I mean, I will be honest, if he rolled up into my club and said play this, I probably would (and would be dumb not to). But in so many ways, an mp3 is just another mp3, a burned cd is just another burned cd. Who has the time to really listen to every single thing that is sent to them (in my case, between services, email, etc, I probably get 30-40 mp3s a week to review, how many you think I check out? erg, 10?) I think in this age of djing, dj's are striving to be more creative then ever before. If that doesn't bow to what he thinks a dj is, too bad...
Steve Oh 11:30 PM - 6 June, 2008
Quote:
Jermaine Durpri claims the DJ is DEAD

Who?

Burn..
DJ Prinvale` 12:29 AM - 7 June, 2008
"last name Dupri, first name tha boss!"

yeah like I'm going to take anything he says seriously
DJ d.range 9:44 PM - 9 June, 2008
i think JD just has a kind of elitist attitude about this. he makes it seem like he's too good to take a cd fro a DJ , but the DJ is obligated to take and play his garbage.

even the way he talks about the student and the teacher
how/why is the MC the teacher(no KRS1) and not the DJ, he needs to take his head out of his ass

JD's problem is that the DJ is the most musically educated piece of hip hop, and since he keeps puttin out copy cat garbage, the educated DJ doesn't wann play it.

maybe JD should listen to some of these CDs that DJs are passing him and get re -aquainted on whatreal hip hop and good music is
Logisticalstyles 10:17 PM - 9 June, 2008
check this response from Gregg Street (atlanta radio personality).
buzzcuts.uproxx.com
DJ d.range 10:37 PM - 9 June, 2008
lol we need an ssl fam chess set
Culprit 11:13 PM - 9 June, 2008
that chess set.. wow
dj bedtime 11:15 PM - 9 June, 2008
OWNED
Martin McFly 2:33 AM - 10 June, 2008
MAAAANNNNN.... That was sonnage to the 500th degree... JerLAME Dupri?? Bwaaaahhaahhaaaa!!
Dj Knockout101 2:54 AM - 10 June, 2008
I agree then don’t agree. Now days unsigned artist songs are stupid and have no point, so it leave the dj no choice to just basically throw that shit away. Like if a dj go to the club and play a stupid song everybody is going to boo the dj and they might even leave the club. It is really all about networking really. I give my c.d out too. I am like if I promote you at least you can do is promote me. Basically scratch my back and I scratch yours. Plus no days you have out of the closet dj’s. Dj’s that don’t even have turn tables. Just have a little machine that you put an IPod on or insert c.d’s. Those are the dj’s that follow the dj’s with turntables just to make a name for there self. Those are the dj’s that don’t look out for unsigned artist.
DVDjHardy 12:12 PM - 10 June, 2008
Quote:
check this response from Gregg Street (atlanta radio personality).
buzzcuts.uproxx.com

That was entertaining, and he was on point for the most part!
j cue 3:41 PM - 10 June, 2008
Fuck j.dupri! I cant remember the last time i played any of his garbage anyways!
Mr Jimdobalina 4:00 PM - 10 June, 2008
J.Dupri can go and take a fuck to himself!!!
Culprit 5:58 PM - 10 June, 2008
i might have to start protesting every piece of music he has worked with, icluding the hot dollar stuff
Culprit 5:58 PM - 10 June, 2008
*including
Dj Nyce 12:12 AM - 11 June, 2008
have your heard jd's verse on nelly's - stepped on my j's? wack as fuck. if you want to talk about the dj game, get your rap game up first.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 12:44 AM - 11 June, 2008
Let's me just say one thing here. If you find a track that you think is hot then PLAY IT, don't be scared of the crowd. You're the DJ, YOU CONTROL THE CROWD!! If you're scared to play a new song nobody has heard of before because you think the dancefloor might clear then you're in the wrong business. It's still our duty as DJ's to educate the people on new music. I play all the crap that's on the radio, but I always sneak in a couple new tracks that nobody has heard yet. I even made a crate on my SSL that I call "RECORD BREAKER" with all the new tracks that I wanna break in the club. Come on people, we can change the game. I hate to sound like Knight Rider but "ONE MAN CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE"
DJ Pryme 1:12 AM - 11 June, 2008
that greg street feat. the nappy roots track that they play at the end of his video is a hot record btw. on some summertime feel good stuff. If you're on DJ City. Then DL that track and support the record. Prove J.D. Wrong.
Dj Knockout101 2:50 AM - 11 June, 2008
Yea, Greg put J.D in his place. Didn't tell not one lie what so ever. I am just wondering what J.D response to that???
djsmoove67 4:04 PM - 17 June, 2008
The dj ain’t dead cat. What happened is, your industry let these wack ass cats with no idea what a “mixtape” really is get on. Now these cats that can’t mix worth a fuck are considered dj’s just because they’ll put out new bullshit every week. But book one of these sorry cat’s and they can’t even blend one record to another….It’s kinda sad…but I’m from the ol’ school and I just dj just to see folks enjoy themselves. If an artist comes to me with a cd…I’ll play the joint the following weekend…but for the longest before I switched to serato, I couldn’t because I only rocked vinyl. I asked for their vinyl and they’re like “huh?” Technology has made it too easy to make a song. (laffy taffy???!!) DJ’s used to be important as far as getting the hot shit out….now that rap is so watered down…..80-90% of it is casio keyboard bullshit!! (what happened to a bassline on a track) who in their dj mind would want to play any of this bullshit. But not to worry….this music thing is 360 degrees….the real hip hop will come back to the top once again. And for you young pups…..check a real “mc” …..Black Thought….If we just set him as the standard…90% of these “rappers” wouldn’t dare drop a demo. (If Biggie and 2pac were still alive.....half of all the bullshit we've heard since wouldn't have made to cd)
Martin McFly 4:08 PM - 17 June, 2008
*daps djsmoove67*

Word... If BIG & 2pac were still alive a LOT would be different in hip-hop.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 4:19 PM - 17 June, 2008
True, but they aren't alive so it's up to us as real DJ's to find the good artists and give them as much exposure as we can.

REAL DJ'S BREAK RECORDS!!
Martin McFly 4:22 PM - 17 June, 2008
Quote:
The dj ain’t dead cat. What happened is, your industry let these wack ass cats with no idea what a “mixtape” really is get on. Now these cats that can’t mix worth a fuck are considered dj’s just because they’ll put out new bullshit every week. But book one of these sorry cat’s and they can’t even blend one record to another….It’s kinda sad…)

Best quote in the whole thread... Not to mention his industry gave those whack dudes the music! At some point the labels should've said, "send us your mixtape..." They would've heard is wasn't even a real mixtape - just a collection of songs with the DJ talking between songs. Instead they only cared about getting their music out and the DJ's got more shine in the end.
dj madi 6:50 PM - 17 June, 2008
kay slay responds to jd

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Michael Basic 7:42 PM - 17 June, 2008
I experienced this sort of attitude first hand the other day. I was setting up for this after hours I've been doing in Hollywood, and one of these dudes that has CDs for sale comes walking down the street and tries to get me to buy one. I say, no thanks buddy, and we get to talking. He asks me what I do there and I say, I'm the DJ.

He says, oh, you're the DJ, you should help me out and buy one of these CDs. I say, As the DJ i'll help you out and play your shit if it's decent and you wanna give it to me. I just spent $50 on gas, I don't have $5 to spare for a CD from an artist I've never heard of.

He says, well as the DJ are you just a DJ or do you try and produce or rap or whatever. I said, Nah I just DJ. He said, well that's good at least you know your role, too many DJs these days want to produce and step on other peoples toes.

I said, well, do you think maybe that's because so much of the music put out today is such utter garbage that we're so sick of it that we want to produce our own? He replied, yeah that's true man but that's not our fault. I said, I'm not placing blame, I'm saying that just like you think the DJ's role is to just play songs, your role as a producer/artist is to make good shit. If you aren't filling your role, someone else might step in.
DVDjHardy 7:47 PM - 17 June, 2008
^^^ Well said.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 9:03 PM - 17 June, 2008
Quote:
kay slay responds to jd

Watchwww.youtube.com

+1
DJ d.range 11:50 PM - 17 June, 2008
great point about the vinyl, smoothe67
Logisticalstyles 11:50 AM - 18 June, 2008
Quote:
True, but they aren't alive so it's up to us as real DJ's to find the good artists and give them as much exposure as we can.

REAL DJ'S BREAK RECORDS!!

Not always. Real DJs entertain thier crowds. People don't always want to hear something new when they go out. A lot of times they want to hear something familliar that they can sing along and dance to. Most club owners don't want you breaking new music and dropping exclusives. That shit kinda alienates your crowd and won't help you in the club DJ game. A club DJs job is maintain the vibe in the club and most importantly help boost drink sales. A mobile DJ's job is quite different and they most definitely should not be dropping new shit at weddings and other similar gigs.

Maybe your talking about mixtape DJs or radio DJs however. In that case then I'd have to agree with you.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 12:33 PM - 18 June, 2008
Quote:
Maybe your talking about mixtape DJs or radio DJs however. In that case then I'd have to agree with you.

No, I'm talkin about club DJs. I'm not saying play new unheard of stuff all night long. I'm saying drop one or two new joints in throughout the night. I'm not saying every DJ can do this, you gotta know how to work the crowd.You can't be afraid to take chances. If all your doing is just playing what the radio plays then you might as well be a jukebox. How is that some these DJs will play mashups that the crowd isn't familiar with all night long but are scared to play new original material.
Logisticalstyles 7:22 PM - 18 June, 2008
I guess it all depends on what kind of club you spin at. If you spin at a top 40 club then you would be expected to play whats on the radio.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 8:43 PM - 18 June, 2008
I do spin at Top 40 clubs, but like I said...I always try to sneak in 1 or 2 new joints. Usually when I'm in the process of turning the floor.
DJ Sniffles 8:59 PM - 18 June, 2008
I often feel that people in here forget that there are other types of DJs than just club DJs and the same rules don't apply across the board
dj_KaSE 9:26 PM - 19 June, 2008
Fuck that little mr. leprechaun motherfucker. He should stick with making tracks and keep his mouth shut cuz he's talking nonsense.
DJ d.range 9:28 PM - 19 June, 2008
actually, he should STOP making tracks
DJ Dynamite - NJ 10:44 PM - 19 June, 2008
Quote:
actually, he should STOP making tracks

+1 LOL
Trackfeen 10:44 PM - 19 June, 2008
Unfortunately, he is basing his opinion off of a Few Short sighted "DJ's" Who are on top of the game right now. A lot of producers in the game were Djs back in the day. So A Lot of Newbies Follow that similar path but really don't have the heart to be a real Dj. So instead of looking for that hot new track to break. They make a million and one remixes. But in defense of the remix Dj. I find myself doing a lot mash ups more so to break new songs... Because lets face it, The average club-going audience is Fickle in a Top 40/Hip hop world. they tend to shy way from the unfamiliar... so what to we do... we present new tracks in a way that makes them appeal to what people are familiar with... then when you get hem hooked... then you can switch it up... Sometimes people become narrow minded when they get on top of the game... So i really just feel that JD is talkin out the side of his neck...
sopranosupasta 6:14 AM - 22 June, 2008
DJ Cee Block says FUCK JD, and FUCK Lil Weezy,wayne,wide open. what ever that crack head mother fucker wants to call himself....

Im playing electro now cause they all suck.....
SoundmasterSam 5:52 AM - 11 July, 2008
JP is dead.
djdragon 7:18 AM - 11 July, 2008
Quote:

No, I'm talkin about club DJs. I'm not saying play new unheard of stuff all night long. I'm saying drop one or two new joints in throughout the night. I'm not saying every DJ can do this, you gotta know how to work the crowd.You can't be afraid to take chances. If all your doing is just playing what the radio plays then you might as well be a jukebox. How is that some these DJs will play mashups that the crowd isn't familiar with all night long but are scared to play new original material.

Agreed.

I've always considered myself as the soundtrack provided to your (their) weekend, nothing more, nothing less.
We are not saving lives here poeple. *lol*
DJ d.range 5:07 AM - 15 July, 2008
I'd like to be able to drop more new music so when the clubgoer has a remember where u heard it 1st association with my name(no dj clue)
DJCalibur 12:10 AM - 18 July, 2008
damn slay got at him!!
DJ Doug Collins 12:37 AM - 2 August, 2008
Hmmm, I make more money DJ'ing than at my 40 hour a week job at a bank. Apparently he must not come to Ohio much.
dja_one 12:02 PM - 6 August, 2008
I have been around since the beginning and that stuff that JD is talking about is evolutions fault. Back in the day...the Urban music genre had very very limited exposure on the radio and MTV. So the unheard new shit was the club music. That is where you went to here what was new outside of the 70 songs combined you heard throughout the week on the radio and videos. Times have changed. Radio stations and BET and MTV2 are playing nothing but urban music so now that is what the crowd is hearing all the time. Back then it was a big deal to hear more than 3 urban songz in a row on the radio unles you heard a mixshow for 2 hours. That is why people was so dedicated to listening to people like Mr. Magic, Red Alert, Doc B (in Milwaukee) and so on and so on.

Hip Hops/urban musics growth is what bit us in the ass. Our audiences have become desensatized (in a way). Back then you heard a new song in the club 7 times in that night because it was acceptable becuase we didn't get enough of it once we left the club.

I hope I explained my opinion where people can understand me.
dja_one 12:08 PM - 6 August, 2008
It isn't a big event or deal anymore because now the audience are familiar with the enitre Hot2000 chart so now that have choices and are familiar with what we use to be the only privelaged ones to have. So now they want to hear what they want to hear when they want to hear it. But every now and then we get a bone thrown to us...that one song you know they will love from the very first not...when you get those oppertunities sease it and make it happen.....just have a backup for just in case...hahaha
nik39 12:50 PM - 6 August, 2008
Quote:
I have been around since the beginning and that stuff that JD is talking about is evolutions fault. Back in the day...the Urban music genre had very very limited exposure on the radio and MTV. So the unheard new shit was the club music. That is where you went to here what was new outside of the 70 songs combined you heard throughout the week on the radio and videos. Times have changed. Radio stations and BET and MTV2 are playing nothing but urban music so now that is what the crowd is hearing all the time. Back then it was a big deal to hear more than 3 urban songz in a row on the radio unles you heard a mixshow for 2 hours. That is why people was so dedicated to listening to people like Mr. Magic, Red Alert, Doc B (in Milwaukee) and so on and so on.

Hip Hops/urban musics growth is what bit us in the ass. Our audiences have become desensatized (in a way). Back then you heard a new song in the club 7 times in that night because it was acceptable becuase we didn't get enough of it once we left the club.

Good points.
Manny C dot com 11:20 PM - 8 August, 2008
complete idiot making idiotic statements
Dj CoJo aka YaMixtapeMajesty 6:59 PM - 10 August, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

+100!!!
cappinkirk 12:24 PM - 11 August, 2008
JD made Kriss Kross. they "looked like a rap group".

en.wikipedia.org

Did DJ's break them? I'm hoping it was the radio.
stevie o 10:32 PM - 12 August, 2008
Fuck a dupri
andrew b 11:08 AM - 13 August, 2008
Quote:
JD made Kriss Kross. they "looked like a rap group".

en.wikipedia.org

Did DJ's break them? I'm hoping it was the radio.

actually kriss kross got broke on alot of college radio stations, the majors picked them up becuase the backwards deal. cuz inside out is wikity wikity wack. hahahah

the beat was very catchy though..
DJ d.range 2:21 AM - 14 August, 2008
wasn't jump marketed to the youth more that the whole bacwards deal??
andrew b 3:13 AM - 14 August, 2008
Quote:
wasn't jump marketed to the youth more that the whole bacwards deal??
like hannah montana youth/ disney and shit??? nah they were never marketed to kids... although kids liked them, they were on mtv raps and all the bs.
andrew b 3:13 AM - 14 August, 2008
they were gangsta ! hahaha
djchrischip 9:05 PM - 18 August, 2008
is it just me or i didnt understand a word he was saying??? like speak english the proper way. I dont think there was a complete sentence in the whole interview or a complete thought. However what i think he was sayin from the 2 minutes i bearedto listen was that djs copy one another and dont do their own thing or break new music... but thats if i kind of made out what he said.