Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Dusty needle nightmare

Gnosis 8:06 AM - 2 June, 2008
Dust on the needle is a problem for anyone using turntables. I think that Serato should really address this common hurdle in dj'ing by putting in some kind of fail-safe into the software.

When I see the tracking meter in SSL go from thick grey to red I know that I will need to quickly switch to internal mode and dust off the needle. This is the only way round the problem but it is by no means a solution; doing so will often be a fatal mistake... The problem here, with Serato, is that bad tracking can often make the pitch fluctuate. If the pitch is fluctuating when I switch to internal mode... any mix I'm doing will all of a sudden go off-beat. Sometimes I've done this and the pitch gets stuck at almost half speed... resulting in a very confused/annoyed dance-floor.

I don't really know the answer but one solution might be to have a secondary option when switching to internal mode (eg shift+f3/f8). One that takes an average of the pitch over the last 'x' amount of time and plays it back at the same tempo.

Not sure if this is possible but I'd love some input on how Serato might address this common set-back.
s3kn0tr0n1c 9:35 AM - 2 June, 2008
clean needles every track and you wont get this problem...its the same with real records to..

always clean the needle between mixes
dj shadow from detroit 2:24 AM - 3 June, 2008
every 4th mix!
AKIEM 3:20 AM - 3 June, 2008
clean records
Gnosis 7:01 AM - 3 June, 2008
I'd hoped you would have gleaned from what I was saying that I know how to clean a stylus. Come on!

Anyway, I'm not just talking about 'dust'. It could be a bad needle, bad cartridge, bad earth-wire, bad turntable, bad RCA... whatever. What I'm suggesting is that ssl should have some kind of fail-safe for when it starts to lose tracking and you then need to switch to internal mode to correct it.
AKIEM 8:20 AM - 3 June, 2008
um, I suppose that wouldnt be a bad idea, its just not a problem that I often if ever have.

If enough or too many people continually have this problem (which I doubt), then fine

but if everyone cleaned records and maintained equipment, no need
dj shadow from detroit 1:45 PM - 3 June, 2008
internal mode.then clean your records and stylus then your good.
with using vinyl you have to get a micro fiber cloth to clean your vinyl and a little brush ( like the one that comes with the shure 44-7 to clean your stylus.
LiamDNicoll 6:06 PM - 3 June, 2008
People who find this issue a problem are likely to be beginners and are not disciplined in the art of vinyl. You are not using a digital player, real turntables and records need good care. I have been spinning vinyl for a long time now and never found this a problem. A good set of needles like stanton 680's pick up very very little dust, even on the dustiest of records.
cappinkirk 7:03 PM - 3 June, 2008
there is a failsafe. panic mode sets it to internal at "0" pitch brobro.

ctrl + F3 or Ctrl F8 for you noon 57ers.

RTFM
Gnosis 6:43 PM - 4 June, 2008
thank you cappinkirt!