DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Any benefit to using SSD hard drive with SSL?

robosapien 7:59 AM - 2 June, 2008
SSD hard drives are still expensive but are starting to come down in price. I was wondering if there would be any benefit to using one of these drive with SSL other than they are less likely to fail. Would there be any speed or performance boast using with SSL?
DJ RaNz 9:06 AM - 2 June, 2008
1. no moving parts, so no mechanical failure

2. much cooler than a harddrive, so less heat will
benefit greater performance for your laptop.

3. problably faster access time on a SSD than a standrad harddrive.
robosapien 1:14 AM - 3 June, 2008
Thanks for your input RaNz! I didn't consider benefit of less heat. Does anyone know if using a SSD hard drive with SSL would indeed have any speed benefits? I know that random read would definitely be a benefit but not sequential read. I'm just not sure how the hard drive reads exactly pertain to using SSL. Any more input is appreciated!
Dj BuddyLove 1:25 AM - 3 June, 2008
Quote:
3. problably faster access time on a SSD than a standrad harddrive.

+1

4. F*#kin expensive. (give it about 2years and they will be the standerd & cheeper)
DJ Michael Basic 8:56 AM - 3 June, 2008
If you're talking about an internal ssd drive, you'll get more use out of your battery too.
dj_penguin 4:44 PM - 3 June, 2008
Quote:
Thanks for your input RaNz! I didn't consider benefit of less heat. Does anyone know if using a SSD hard drive with SSL would indeed have any speed benefits? I know that random read would definitely be a benefit but not sequential read. I'm just not sure how the hard drive reads exactly pertain to using SSL. Any more input is appreciated!

There is no difference between random and sequential reads on an SSD, they just have one read speed all the time.
robosapien 4:53 AM - 4 June, 2008
Quote:
There is no difference between random and sequential reads on an SSD, they just have one read speed all the time.

This is not true. Check out SSD hard drive benchmarks at www.barefeats.com Does anyone know how random, sequential, and sustained read/write speeds apply to SSL performance?
cappinkirk 4:02 PM - 4 June, 2008
do you mean how they apply to adding/editing/removing songs

or just playing them for an event once a library is "ready"?

i think there may be a difference.
robosapien 6:11 AM - 7 June, 2008
I'm interested in finding out how an SSD hard drive would affect the performance of all aspects of using SSL. The most important aspect being when used in the mix.
tehBEN 5:22 PM - 13 January, 2009
www.newegg.com

Ive been thinking about picking up this drive for my laptop for a while. I've watch the pice come down from 800 to 400.
My only concern is that the write speeds are still somewhat slow. Would this have any impact on the performance of SL when recording your set live (recording the mix output when plugged into the 57).
Socross 5:55 PM - 13 January, 2009
I wonder why flash memory is so cheap but SSD drives are so friggen expensive. Aren't the two technologies connected?
DJ GaFFle 7:20 PM - 13 January, 2009
Quote:
www.newegg.com

Ive been thinking about picking up this drive for my laptop for a while. I've watch the pice come down from 800 to 400.
My only concern is that the write speeds are still somewhat slow. Would this have any impact on the performance of SL when recording your set live (recording the mix output when plugged into the 57).

Here's a better deal for ya:

shop3.frys.com**.node3?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG&enableMenus=false
DJ GaFFle 7:21 PM - 13 January, 2009
^^^ Ooops, I take that back. Yours is a 256GB drive!
Liquidice 8:04 PM - 13 January, 2009
BEN I would stray from any other brand except intel until all the random write I/O issues are fixed.

www.newegg.com

read reviews on the Intel. The only advantage to using solid state is the speed, battery life, and shock protection of your laptop.. Which I think is great but it certainly comes at a price. you'd only need the 80 gig or less as I would jsut use it as an OS drive.. keep all your music on external
DJ GaFFle 8:55 PM - 13 January, 2009
I read that these drives require power even when the computer is shut off. Anybody know about this?
tehBEN 9:57 PM - 13 January, 2009
Quote:
BEN I would stray from any other brand except intel until all the random write I/O issues are fixed.

www.newegg.com

read reviews on the Intel.

Liquid, my friend is one of the digital logic designers for that company thats why Im looking at that (hook up purposes =P)

Quote:

The only advantage to using solid state is the speed, battery life, and shock protection of your laptop.. Which I think is great but it certainly comes at a price.

been established already. Question here is "will ssl's live recording performance be affected with sequential data access on these drives"

Quote:

you'd only need the 80 gig or less as I would jsut use it as an OS drive.. keep all your music on external

Negative, my music library on my laptop is 115gb

I have two 250gb internal HD with my music on it for my gig computer, Im done carrying externals around. All my externals stay at home and serve as backups drives:
500gb x 2 mirrored for the laptop
1.5tb x 2 as media mirrors for my ENTIRE digital music library (incl. stuff I dont play out just stuff i listen to at home)

Quote:
I read that these drives require power even when the computer is shut off. Anybody know about this?

please post where you read that Im skeptical, i'd explain why from a computer science/engineering standpoint but why bother when 90% of the people wont understand it.