DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Volume Mismatch - My channels are different...

DJ Michael Basic 8:44 AM - 28 May, 2008
Am I the only one? I know I'm not, I read that Kase has this problem with his 57 too. With all the knobs centered and both channel faders at max, my left channel is a little bit softer than my right. At first I thought I was hearing things but I notice it every time I play out with it...annoying.
dj shadow from detroit 3:14 AM - 30 May, 2008
michael i noticed about a month ago also! its my right channel thats lower.
vboyd666 3:18 PM - 30 May, 2008
Hmm, that's weird. I noticed no trouble with mine. I'll definately check though next time I fire it up.
DJLRock 7:57 PM - 2 June, 2008
my right is lower
Nappa 2:19 PM - 6 June, 2008
If you're using turntable did you check the Phono sensitivity setting in the setup screen to make sure it's at the same level as your cartridge (see your cartridge documentatio for the correct value)?
dj shadow from detroit 3:35 PM - 6 June, 2008
that setting is for using cd players and vinyl together.meaning you set the sensitivity for your cartridge so the volume matches the volume on the cd players :)
treeo730 2:57 AM - 8 June, 2008
Yeah I've noticed it too.
mle 5:27 PM - 8 June, 2008
Yeap, my right channel is a little lower than the left...
DJ Prof 8:17 PM - 11 June, 2008
The Same thing happened to me at a gig, thought it was the amp, thought it was the speakers, the computer, anything, replaced all plugs, rebooted everything, still had a fluttering signal. Then, get home to the studio..and bang, it is gone completely, nothing, zip, nada, the mixer is less than 2 months out of the box, at $1500.00, this hardware should be flawless...
DJ RaNz 9:15 AM - 12 June, 2008
DJ Prof: that sucks, can it be a loose cable ?
i have read that there are sum issues with this mixer, so i dont
know if i will pick up a TTM57, first the buttons, then this broken
faders.. the dip in x-fader. i agree with you a $1500 mixer should
not break so easy.
Mr. Goodkat 9:09 PM - 15 June, 2008
i've been thinking this too, my left is not as loud. i've had mine serviced with in the last 6 mos. too.
khy 10:43 AM - 17 June, 2008
my left is lower...

hey goodkat, did you get yours serviced under warranty and in which country?
Mr. Goodkat 8:49 PM - 20 June, 2008
yeah, i got it serviced in the u.s. TTM 57s can only be serviced by Rane. They did a great job on a bent volume pot, and replaced some parts on the channel faders.
DJ Prinvale` 5:08 AM - 22 June, 2008
I'm at my gig right now noticing this, my right channel is noticably lower, :(
DJ Prinvale` 5:09 AM - 22 June, 2008
edit, my left channel is the lower one. Dunno why I said right
DJ Prinvale` 9:04 AM - 22 June, 2008
Well I just got home. The left channel is def lower than the right. I took my headphones off for a while so both my ears could adjust to the music. I used instant doubles and went back and forth between ch.1 and ch.2. The difference was highly noticeable in both the monitor and main speakers.

To compensate I put the high/mid/lows for the left channel up about 1.5 dots and that actually worked pretty well. I forgot to put them back a few times because I use the EQ's (mainly low) quite often but overall it helped a lot.

Any Rane people care to chime in? Maybe with a possible reason or solution. As said up above it's pretty annoying, but not the end of the world.
dj shadow from detroit 5:14 PM - 22 June, 2008
i had a problem lastnight with it again :(
im really surprised serato has not said anything to us yet.
shiestO! 4:42 PM - 23 June, 2008
what the fuck? all ya'll have a low channel on a 57? that's wack as shit. i'm not a 57 owner but that scares me if i were to buy one.
DJ Prinvale` 9:39 AM - 28 June, 2008
so I'm not sure if this is related to the volume mis-match. I'm thinking it is. Tonight my whole left channel crapped out. I took a flash-light and looked in and I could see a piece stuck to one of the fader bars so I'm like double-u Tee Eff mate?

Anyways, got pretty fucking pissed because the faders are only a few months old.

here's a pic with the face-plate off: www.djprinvale.com

Tossed it back in (Which was a bitch because the stupid magnet is seriously one of the strongest I've ever felt). Gonna set my stuff up and test her out.

Either way I think this might have to do with the lower volume on channels.
nik39 11:00 AM - 29 June, 2008
Euh...

Quote:
Either way I think this might have to do with the lower volume on channels.

Good point. There is a chance that the hall sensors were not calibrated correctly.
DJ Prinvale` 5:50 AM - 30 June, 2008
nik39

I would also like to mention that after I put the magnet back in, now the left side (the side the magnet fell out of) is a tad higher then the right. =o

It's not that big of a difference (I notice it slightly) but that's why I posted that I think the volume mis-match has something to do with the magnet being lose or something that is technical and way over my head.

Gonna order a backup fader tomorrow through my local pro sound place.
nik39 9:25 PM - 30 June, 2008
Quote:
I would also like to mention that after I put the magnet back in, now the left side (the side the magnet fell out of) is a tad higher then the right. =o

It's not that big of a difference (I notice it slightly) but that's why I posted that I think the volume mis-match has something to do with the magnet being lose or something that is technical and way over my head.

They get factory calibrated. If you move the magnet you will definitly affect the volumes :(

Time go get all your faders fixed (realigning/calibration the hall sensors).
DJ Prinvale` 11:26 PM - 30 June, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

They get factory calibrated. If you move the magnet you will definitly affect the volumes :(

Time go get all your faders fixed (realigning/calibration the hall sensors).

I just had all 3 of my faders replaced about 2 months ago...that's why I was pretty pissed when this happened. Gonna call them up tomorrow when I have some free time.
jeyone 5:49 AM - 7 July, 2008
its gotta be a prob. in 1.8 final and 1.8.1. i was getting the same prob plus a bunch of other errors in those versions. so i went back to using and older 1.8 beta that worked good for me and it stopped all my problems. both my channels are back to being the same level. my right was lower than my left.
DJ LTIZZZLE 12:58 PM - 19 July, 2008
I'll check mine tonight during sound check. What generation is everyones 57? Mine is the 1st Gen. I just ordered a new one from AGIprodj. I'm kinda worried cause i heard the buttons changed on it.
Donavan 8:23 PM - 17 August, 2008
I logged on to see if anyone else had this problem and I am glad to see I am not alone. My buddy has Serato and the Pioneer but has no problem. I am only about 6 months into this setup (1210's, TTM) so will have to rely on my more experienced bro's in here. But I can mos def tell you that this started with the most recent update. I am guessing they are working out the kink with either a new update. By the way, I did pretty much every switch out you can think of to try to isolate the issue, and the left channel is still higher than the right. I am not about to switch back to the previous version of Serato though - I really dig this new version to much, and it is more of an annoyance than anything. I just adjust the gains and try not to remember when switching songs!

-d-
dj_KaSE 3:16 AM - 20 August, 2008
Just saw this post. Like Micheal said, I do have this problem. And yes, it is very annoying.

Puma noticed the problem too when I pointed it out to him at a gig he helped me out with.

Mine is the latest generation. I got it in February brand new. Come to think of it, I haven't bypassed Serato and played regular CDs to determine if it just may be the program.
Donavan 5:16 PM - 21 August, 2008
Most may have already tried or done this, but I screwed around with it last night and now have the channels on full. The sounds are now equal and I just use the gains for the volume. Not a fix, but an ease, expecially with recording.
DJ Food 7:04 PM - 23 August, 2008
my right is lower, noticed this months back, when going into the desk to record stuff
Donavan 11:43 PM - 7 September, 2008
I just saw Z-Trip's Democratic Convention sets and he had his mixer volumes all the way up like I described above, and was only using his gains. Glad to know a fucking pro like Z is having every day setup issues like myself.
dj shadow from detroit 3:47 AM - 8 September, 2008
huh?
Guestdj 10:10 AM - 29 September, 2008
i had the same problem with my channels - but for me it was very easy - i used effects session and don't turn off it. even i power off mixer - effects still workin'. check your effects session.
dj_KaSE 7:35 PM - 29 September, 2008
I haven't had time to investigate whether this is just a problem with the XLR outputs (which is what I use all the time), or if it only happens when SSL is being utilized (i.e., does it happen when playing a regular audio CD), etc.

The funny thing is that sometimes it's very noticeable and at other times it's not. But in the end, it just doesn't make sense.
dj shadow from detroit 10:23 PM - 29 September, 2008
i agree i had it happen again last weekend.
i was mixing in a track and the volume went like 2-3 db louder on my left track.its happened about 5 times in 4 months.

it comes out of know where when it does happen.
G-man NYC 10:36 PM - 14 October, 2008
same thing for me. .. seems to happen only sometimes but when it does it's noticeably off. I use 4 different 57's at various clubs and it happens only to 2 of them.
Donavan 5:30 PM - 16 October, 2008
Has anyone upgraded to the latest version yet? I thought about doing it tonight to see if it helps with this problem.
G-man NYC 8:00 PM - 16 October, 2008
i'm using the latest software and firmware
Joshua Carl 8:39 PM - 16 October, 2008
heres a question:

does the difference in levels occur when the crossfader is in the middle?
(and on sharp slope, so both tracks are playing at 100%)

if so, you have no eliminated the cross fader as being the issue.

the next is the line-faders.... try reversing them (so up is off, and down it loud)
does it still have the difference?

if not you have eliminated the line faders as the cause of the issue.

I know that having those posts not in the right position effects the faders performance, so imagine if you will if the tower is leaning .0002mm awayfrom the fader, then when you move the fader, the software doesent recognize that you have moved 100% of the way, but only 99.800ths
maybe that lil difference in the setting and postion of the magnets/towers is enough to cause this difference?

just a theory.

a good way to rule out SSL if just run duplicates of a cd straight through the system.
Martin McFly 7:13 PM - 22 October, 2008
The left channel is most definitely st lower on my 57 as well. I don't get this. I don't get it. Has anyone from Rane said anything about this issue?
dj_KaSE 7:15 PM - 22 October, 2008
Nah, they're probably too busy with that shitty program called Itch.
Martin McFly 7:46 PM - 22 October, 2008
^^ +1 Shit is whack...

TTM 57 Mixer = $1400
TTM 57 Mixer with screwed up channel = priceless
nik39 8:28 PM - 22 October, 2008
Quote:
Nah, they're probably too busy with that shitty program called Itch.

Serato = ITCH.
Rane != ITCH.
Donavan 5:27 PM - 24 October, 2008
Thanks for the info, Josh. I upgraded last night and tried your theory and am still having the same issue. I just keep my L & R volume faders on 100% and use the gains. This has been the only thing that works for me, and yes it sucks. I recorded a shitty set for about an hour last night and listened to it about an hour ago. Sounds fine but it really puts a kink in using the mixer to it's fullest potential. And you obviously cannot work as fast when mixing, scratching, etc.
DJCheLu 4:53 AM - 22 January, 2009
Wow i havent logged into these forums in forever, but i have had this problem for months now. Its been driving me nuts my right deck is a much lower volume then my left, i use the gains to compensate but it will distort the sound sometimes. Even looking at matching meter values deck two sounds much lower when going out to the mains. I havent upgraded the firmware to 1.8.3 package yet so i will try that first thing.
Donavan 6:06 PM - 3 February, 2009
DJCheLu, I upgraded and had the issue one day and then it miraculously when away about a month later. Not sure what happened, but I'm mos def grateful!
bboysupafly 6:47 PM - 3 February, 2009
try firmware updates
DJCheLu 11:37 PM - 4 February, 2009
Well i have firmware version 3.03 i believe and there is no update button that i am able to click. In the past i just go to setup and there is a firmware update button but i do not see it. Is there another way of updating the firmware without that button?
bboysupafly 4:44 PM - 5 February, 2009
maybe just wait till 1.9 releases.

I'm running 1.9 beta 2 and my 57 updated the firmware to 3.11

I went to setup and there it was.
DJ SHY 1:32 PM - 16 February, 2009
ok...i'm glad that this thread has re-surfaced b/c i thought i was the only one with this problem!... my left is definitely weaker than the right..... i've tested in both headphones and master/booth outs...

i'm runnin 1.9b2 w/ 3.11...
Donavan 6:15 PM - 18 February, 2009
Shy - I think the general consensus is that something needs done about it at a macro level by Scratchlive, e.g., a software upgrade or update. It comes and goes for me, and I've resulted in just keeping my L & R faders @ 100% and using the gains when it does. You have to mess with the volume to protect your stuff but it at least works for me. A few other local dj's I know do the same thing. I've done some recordings without doing it and you can def tell the difference in comparison to the ones I've done after messing with it, and before I had the problem at all. I even talked my local guy at the guitar center I frequent into hooking one up fresh out of the box and the same damn thing happened. Only difference was that it was hooked up to some pioneer decks, vs my MK5's - so I don't think the problem discriminates between the two. Oh, and the upgrade 1.8.3 didnt work; it went away for about two weeks. AGGH!
djjoefresh 5:33 PM - 10 March, 2009
I never noticed this, but I haven't really been listening for it.

I recently had my 57 sent in for service after some knucklehead spilled a drink in it, Rane replaced everything, faders and knobs are brand new, so if I test it out and the volume is lower on the left, I would think that would be some other problem than the hardware (since all the hardware is basically brand new).

I'll let you guys know what I find!
DJ TTT 4:56 AM - 18 March, 2009
I have the exact same problem. Spent a couple hours today trouble shooting and at least 3 phone calls back and forth with tech support (which have always been very helpful and accessible). The ultimate result is I shipped it to Rane today for warranty work.
DJ TONY T 11:54 AM - 5 April, 2009
yep my left channel is lower
C. William 1:58 PM - 5 April, 2009
It's gotta suck having so many problems with such an expensive mixer.
Joshua Carl 8:58 PM - 6 April, 2009
just curious.
are you guys having the same issue still?
and how much lower are we talking about?

I ask because I started ripping my vinyl a few weeks back.
and no matter what I do (swap decks, swap needles, swap input channels)
the left is slightly lower than the right.
now i AM NOT talking about channels.
Im talking about right side & left side of ONE track.

everything I rip in, I drop into soundforge and have to add 1.75db volume to the left, so it mirrors the right side.
Its not a HUUUGE deal, but its a hassle.
Im sure the difference leftside/rightside is less than 2db...

has anyone noticed this variation? (you can barely notice it if you switch you ttm57's led display from house to channel.
but once its in sound forge...and you are aware of it, then you can notice it
in the headphones.
nobspangle 6:49 PM - 7 April, 2009
Quote:
I ask because I started ripping my vinyl a few weeks back.
and no matter what I do (swap decks, swap needles, swap input channels)
the left is slightly lower than the right.
now i AM NOT talking about channels.
Im talking about right side & left side of ONE track.

This kind of variation is most likely due to incorrectly mounted carts or wrong tracking/weight setup on the decks.
Joshua Carl 7:03 PM - 7 April, 2009
that was my first thought.
so I swapped out my mounted shures for mounted ortofons,
(on both the left and the right turntable) and i was getting the same
exact difference)
then changed my height & tracking to different levels.
believe me...I tried all that stuff.
proof positive is when I reversed the input of the turntables
so red was to white and white was to red (IE L to R and R to L)
and the left deck still responds <2.0 DB quieter.
if it was anything pre-mixer (needles, cart, tonearm ect ect)
swapping the lines in would have made the RIGHT side the quiet one.
Joshua Carl 7:03 PM - 7 April, 2009
correction:
UNMOUNTED ortofons (concords)
Dj K.Smith 5:37 PM - 14 April, 2009
I have that issue as well...
Andy C Greager 4:36 AM - 18 April, 2009
My left hand channel is substantially different. It has very high bass and the mids and trebles are a lot lower. Huge difference. I have tried many things. it is highly noticeable. I have elimenated decks, crossfader and volume faders as the problem by using int mode with headphones only and using exactly the same tracks and settings.
This is highly frustrating as it has only been used a dozen times. This problem means my right channel is crystal clear and the left sounds like it is muffled with a very heavy bass. not pleasant to listen to.
Have Rane no interest in this problem all the above seem to also have.
I don't know how extreme the difference is in other peoples channels but for me it is beyond frustrating.
Please help me!!!!!! Any ideas????
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:08 PM - 20 April, 2009
Quote:
This problem means my right channel is crystal clear and the left sounds like it is muffled with a very heavy bass. not pleasant to listen to.

Have you tested your mixer using regular CDs and/or vinyl records?
Andy C Greager 9:24 PM - 22 April, 2009
Sure have. tested everything. I am sending it to the tech team.It is still under warranty. They were very helpful. thanks.
j cue 8:59 AM - 23 April, 2009
i also have the left channel lower than the right.. im disgusted that this can even happen! this aint some budget mixer. so why is it having budget mixer problems!!
Andy C Greager 9:29 PM - 23 April, 2009
Strange problem. I shall post the result of the problem when Rane tech team tells me what it is that is wrong. stay tuned!!
mk-ultra 10:46 PM - 25 April, 2009
my right level is lower as well. checked and cleaned all my connections all the way from the mixer up to the carts and i'm running brand new styli.
AMF 12:32 PM - 27 April, 2009
Ya know, I'm glad I came across this thread. I thought I was going crazy on saturday. The levels "looked" ok on the mixer, but I knew I was hearing something different. The volume on one side was a little lower.

I'm gonna run some tests later to see what's up with this.
nik39 12:35 PM - 27 April, 2009
Can anyone of you guys who is experiencing this try to use the Video SL plugin (demo version is sufficient) and check whether Video SL shows that both of your line faders are at top position?
j cue 6:34 PM - 27 April, 2009
my lappy wont run vsl
nik39 6:44 PM - 27 April, 2009
It won't start at all? Not even with no videos loaded?
j cue 8:05 PM - 27 April, 2009
it will start, but nothing happens.. everything seems to be on super slo mo
j cue 8:07 PM - 27 April, 2009
i can see the screen faders movign etc, but i cant get any output, or when i drag n drop a vid to a deck,, nothign shows on the deck, and nothing really happens in general
probably should put this in the vsl thread,, ok, just ignore me
nik39 8:24 PM - 27 April, 2009
Ignored.

I am just interested in the displayed line fader position. Nothing else.
j cue 8:41 PM - 27 April, 2009
ok, so i waffled on for nothing ...
AMF 2:07 AM - 28 April, 2009
Ok... with VSL enabled, the 2 upfaders are at the top position.

Here is a quick test that I did. I had both gain controls at 12 o'clock exactly, all the EQs in the normal positions, and both upfaders all the way up. I ran it out to my mackie mixer and into my computer to simulate the signal flow at a club so-to-speak and recorded like this. I started the test with the crossfader in the middle for the intro, then I crossfaded from right to left every measure (every 1 bar, how ever you count them) and keep doing it for about a minute. The test is at the bottom of this post.

While ever so slight on my home studio monitors, I can hear the difference! It's like some of the power gets sucked out (no homo) on the left channel. I've had the mixer for almost a month, but it wasn't until this past saturday that I played out with it at a big club that I noticed it. They had alot of subs and tops (a great system) and this is when I noticed this issue. It's VERY appearent on a good system. Then I played out with it again on sunday night on an "ok" system and I could still tell. Now while doing the test at home I can still tell.

With the house metering engaged, the single stays the same from what I can see on the mixer (but not to my ears).

wave test:
www.zshare.net

mp3 test (320):
www.zshare.net
vio0633 3:06 PM - 28 April, 2009
Damn...I can hear the change from left to right just on my laptop speakers! What can rane do to help fix this? Is this a software bug you think or more of a hardware fault?
AMF 3:49 PM - 28 April, 2009
I think it's a hardware problem. I'm gonna contact them today or tomorrow. This sux. Now I have to pay to ship it to get fixed after I just bought it. lol. I have an SL1 and a 56 so I'm not totally f**ked. But I want to spin with my 57!!!!
vio0633 6:43 PM - 28 April, 2009
When you did your test...did you do it in INT mode to isolate just the hardware and software down?
AMF 3:06 AM - 29 April, 2009
No. I did it in relative mode. But I just tried this in INT mode too... still the same thing.

If I compensate the left channel to about the 12:30 position (while right channel is at 12:00), then I can get the channels to match from what I can hear at home. Then I look at the cue levels and the left side was peaking at 0, and the right side was peaking at -2. I can't spin like this! I'm one of those DJs that actually watch my levels! lol.

I'll call Rane tomorrow to have it fixed.
dj shadow from detroit 4:13 AM - 29 April, 2009
mine is the same.
vio0633 5:07 AM - 29 April, 2009
Please keep us posted on what faulty parts they find! I think I may have the same issue as well.
AMF 11:57 AM - 29 April, 2009
Definitely will post back once I find out the issue.
PopRoXxX 1:26 PM - 29 April, 2009
Quote:
Definitely will post back once I find out the issue.

thanks. i'm also very interested in this
j cue 1:51 PM - 29 April, 2009
this thread shouldnt even exist!!
the amount of money the 57 costs!! im pissed!
AMF 3:08 PM - 29 April, 2009
Believe me j cue, I'M PISSED TOO! First because it cost me over a $tack. Secondly because I now have to spend another $50 (or more) to ship it to Rane Corp. Third, it'll take about a week to get it back, Fourth... I'm just pissed.
Martin McFly 2:36 AM - 30 April, 2009
I used a test tone on both channels (with the exact same mixere settings for each) a few months back. I then recorded the tone into logic, on separate tracks. the left was noticeably lower.
j cue 11:39 AM - 30 April, 2009
i got to ship mine from china! thats gonna be a good 10 days at least.. and shipping, im scared to think what that will cost!
and the chinese postal service are not known for their careful handling of goods!
im screwed!
vio0633 5:43 PM - 30 April, 2009
So is everyone sending their mixers back to rane due to this issue? Is this what they are telling you? I sent my mixer in a couple of months ago to get it fixed....but I have this issue on mine as well I think. They said it was tested and checked 100% within standards....I will have to try this out and see whats up.
j cue 8:35 PM - 30 April, 2009
i guess if we want it fixed we will have to!!
DJ-NEO 8:34 AM - 2 May, 2009
just checked out my 57 and everthing seem ok. . .
j cue 10:59 AM - 3 May, 2009
Quote:

wanna swap?
latinblood2k1 7:18 PM - 3 May, 2009
I just bought my ttm 57 last Tuesday and still have the Guitar Center reciept with me. Is this only happening to ppl that`s had the mixer for a while or is it with everyones mixer as a whole?
dj shadow from detroit 7:23 PM - 3 May, 2009
not everyones. even brand new out the box with issues.
latinblood2k1 7:49 PM - 3 May, 2009
damn time to test this out thanks dj shadow
DJ-NEO 8:25 PM - 3 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

wanna swap?

lol I'm ok . . . And Bsides's my 57 was a gift from my sponsor
latinblood2k1 9:03 PM - 3 May, 2009
my 57 seems to work flawless! I hope everyone`s problem here can be resolved
j cue 11:20 AM - 4 May, 2009
Quote:
my 57 seems to work flawless! I hope everyone`s problem here can be resolved

mine sometimes seems to have this problem, and other times i cant notice it. so i wouldnt count your chickens just yet
AMF 11:33 AM - 4 May, 2009
Quote:
I just bought my ttm 57 last Tuesday and still have the Guitar Center reciept with me. Is this only happening to ppl that`s had the mixer for a while or is it with everyones mixer as a whole?

Mine is brand new (1 month old).
DJ Structure 9:37 PM - 10 May, 2009
Mine is about a month old and I've got the same problem! Hopefully a resolution is on the way!
DJ Cykophuk 7:37 PM - 11 May, 2009
I just had a similar issue this weekend on my 57 for the first time ever. The control signal on the right channel was noticeably lower during setup. Seemed to work OK for the gig though (video show). I've had it for 2 years and the only change was the firmware update...from 1.9 which I installed on my audio only G4. Still using 1.8.3 on my MBP for video.
DJ Richard 4:23 AM - 13 May, 2009
I got the TTM when it came out and I NEVER HAD A PROB UNLESS IT WAS MY FAULT...
Perhaps the older ones are more reliable, but why????
j cue 3:48 PM - 13 May, 2009
people with older and newer ones are having this problem. age of mixer doesnt seem relevant to the problem, and if you havent had it, you will have. everyone i know with a 57 is now having his issue.
j cue 3:49 PM - 13 May, 2009
im going back to vextax, and sl1
j cue 3:49 PM - 13 May, 2009
im going back to vestax, and sl1
DJ Cykophuk 5:47 PM - 14 May, 2009
Quote:
I got the TTM when it came out and I NEVER HAD A PROB UNLESS IT WAS MY FAULT...Perhaps the older ones are more reliable, but why????

quoted for emphasis...found my issue to be a loose stylus. dumb
AMF 2:39 PM - 17 May, 2009
Ok here's the update... I talked to Rane a few days ago. They said they ran some tests and they couldn't find anything wrong. =P
AMF 9:39 PM - 20 May, 2009
Oooookkkkk... here is what happened. I figured it out once I got the mixer back.

One of the effects (echo) was selected on channel PGM1/B1 (the left channel, my problem channel). "Echo Mix" has to be on 50% or less or it will cause the selected channel volume to lower. I had it at 53% and this will cause the volume of the selected channel to be lower. Once I put it at 50%, everything was fine. =P

So there you have it.
dj_KaSE 5:38 AM - 21 December, 2009
I've isolated my problem. Turns out it's not the mixer at all, but my XLR cables. I labeled one cable "A" and one cable "B" and "A" was louder in all cases, regardless of what master output it was connected too.

Hope this helps.
nobspangle 6:03 PM - 21 December, 2009
Quote:
I've isolated my problem. Turns out it's not the mixer at all, but my XLR cables. I labeled one cable "A" and one cable "B" and "A" was louder in all cases, regardless of what master output it was connected too.

Hope this helps.

That's weird, I'd suggest checking the wiring in the cables, make sure they are both wired straight through as balanced lines.
DJ Michael Basic 8:50 PM - 21 December, 2009
That's not my issue...it's always the right side for me that's lower.
terrible1fi 9:27 PM - 21 December, 2009
it looks like there are 2 different things going on here.

for some of you guys the channel metering levels are different...and for some I guess its just in the cables....2 diff issues...
realbadeshi 10:33 AM - 29 December, 2009
I just wanted to chip in and say I have the problem with lower level also
I have a help request thread www.serato.com which might be of interest to someone....

I havent sent it back in yet, and am grateful of helpful position although if it just needs recalibrating it would be very useful if we could do this ourselves......
Kepik 6:25 AM - 21 December, 2010
So I wanted to add that I too had the same problem with my right channel. Turned out my "Hold Echo" was on PGM2 and that the Mix was at around 53% percentage level. If it's 0% volume is normal.

Turned PGM2 off and now my right channel sounds the same as my left.

It may be a software bug with SL because, this past Saturday night, I remember my right channel being a bit lower than my left at my club gig. However I wasn't connected to my 57SL, but on a SL3 and a Empath.

I tested out at home, my SL3 to 57SL and its also the same results (of course one would think being that I AM using the 57SL, its bound to be buggy).

Turning off the PGM on the hardware FX solved my volume discrepancies!
Dj Cred 11:28 PM - 24 July, 2011
i have this problem too, my whole left channel plays at a lower volume, to compensate i have to turn the gain up 30% higher than the right side. i need this not to happen, what to do?
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:06 PM - 26 July, 2011
Hey Cred,

I would check to make sure you don't have any effects turned on.

To turn off the FX on the 57 you will first need to go to group 6 by pressing the Group button, at which point all the B buttons on the mixer will start flashing, and then press the B6 button.
Once in group 6 you will see two effect inserts on the right side of the virtual representation of the hardware.
A red border will be around the effect insert your currently seeing the parameters for.
From there, turn off any B buttons you see lit up on the mixer.
Once done, press the Deck button on the mixer to jump focus to the second effect insert. Make sure all of the B buttons are turned off there as well.