Serato DJ Lite / Intro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Lite / Intro software and controllers.

Serato DJ Intro vs. Serato DJ (upgradable ver. $199)

DJ REDlight 8:06 PM - 4 December, 2012
I did a few searches for this info, so forgive me if it's already been asked and responded to. What are the differences between the Serato DJ Intro that comes with controllers and the upgradable version for $199?

Would it be possible to get a side-by-side comparison chart?

Thx, DJ REDLight
Serato
Jono B 2:54 AM - 6 December, 2012
Hi DJ Redlight,

• Great New FX Powered by iZotope
Load your choice of high quality FX including: Delay, Echo, Ping Pong Delay, Reverb, Phaser, Flanger, Distortion, High Pass Filter (HPF), Low Pass Filter (LPF), Combo HP/LP Filter.
• MIDI Mapping
Take full advantage of Serato DJs features. MIDI mapping opens up the software to be mapped with a secondary MIDI controller.
• Recording
Make mixtapes and save your night’s work to listen to later. Record your mix at the click of a button on supported controllers.
• Four Deck Mixing
Mix with four decks on supported four deck controllers.
• Brand New User Interface
A greatly improved software layout that looks amazing and is simple to use. The new interface also offers two and four deck view modes for four deck controllers.
• More Cue Points
Set and trigger up to 8 cue points in Serato DJ to quickly jump to different sections in your track.

Also for a limited time anyone who purchases Serato DJ Pro will receive a free copy of Serato Video.

Let me know if you have any further questions :)
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:20 PM - 11 December, 2012
Jono B you got a typo there.
Serato
Jono B 11:24 PM - 11 December, 2012
Quote:
Jono B you got a typo there.

Thanks LJ_WOOLSEY. The typo has now edited :)
shawny 3:31 AM - 13 December, 2012
i have 2 controllers the numark mixtrack pro and the n4 ..i know theres not yet a realease of serato dj for the n4 . wat am asking is would i need to buy the the upgrade for each controller which would cost $400?
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:22 AM - 13 December, 2012
Nope you just buy ONE serato dj upgrade per laptop. Then you can use all dj intro controllers on that laptop.
Studio ST 8:27 AM - 13 December, 2012
And what if I want to have a backup laptop for one controller? I have to buy two upgrades?
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:34 AM - 13 December, 2012
You can have it on a backup laptop but you can NOT use both at same time or your code will be deactivated. So if you use two laptops all the time at same time yes you would need to buy two. So i am understood to believe anyway. Wait for serato to confirm that tho.
pdidy 10:14 PM - 13 December, 2012
Quote:
You can have it on a backup laptop but you can NOT use both at same time or your code will be deactivated. So if you use two laptops all the time at same time yes you would need to buy two. So i am understood to believe anyway. Wait for serato to confirm that tho.

I believe this to be correct.
Roy Levi 12:07 AM - 27 March, 2013
I don't have a supported 4-track controller, but the main differences between Intro and DJ that I have noticed are:

* MIDI mapping of secondary controller
* Built in recording
* A few extra cue points
* Shorter/longer auto loops (although a bug allows this in Intro too)
* Fully functional sampler
* Better sync related options, such as song key locking
* Smart crates

Most of the differences appear to be arbitrary restrictions imposed on the lower cost version. I do find it a little strange that anyone would restrict basic functionality like cue points and automatic loop durations, specially considering the competition in this segment. But there

Oh, and I don't think I found any additional effects compared to Intro (although I suppose that may depend on the controller Intro came with - I was using Numark MixTrack Pro II)
DeejayX-Tripi 9:33 PM - 7 May, 2013
serato dj 1.2 pioneer ddj wego free full version please
FelixIB 9:51 PM - 12 August, 2013
so I just bought my friends ns6 and was using Itch with it...I downloaded the free version of Serato Dj... so do I still have to upgrade it to get the full functionallity? or will the free version work just fine...
pdidy 12:10 AM - 13 August, 2013
Quote:
so I just bought my friends ns6 and was using Itch with it...I downloaded the free version of Serato Dj... so do I still have to upgrade it to get the full functionallity? or will the free version work just fine...

All itch controllers are a free upgrade to Serato dj. Nothing else is needed.....
Chuck Taylor 1:42 PM - 22 August, 2013
Hey

sorry if this is a silly question but what exacly is serato intro ? and serato dj ??

some controllers or something?? right
silvercue 11:48 AM - 23 August, 2013
Chuck - it is software that you use with controllers. One is free to use, but restricted, the other you pay a licence for.

For me the only difference that is worthy of any note is the recording facility, which is essential. I know you can do it with Audacity, but I struggled due to my laptop power and my PC giving me lag (onboard sound I guess).

I found this annoying as I purchased my Mixtrack Pro 2 under the illusion it came with the software you need.

In fact it is essentially useless to me unless I shell out another £100 on software that actually makes it usable.

As for the effects - they are actually quite poor IMHO and I found you get much better effects on toys like Mini Kaoss Pad.
Chuck Taylor 1:26 PM - 23 August, 2013
@ silvercue Thank you

for the info
dj joey d P.R. 10:33 PM - 4 January, 2014
very useful , thank you!!!!
Seismic 6:47 PM - 17 June, 2014
This brings to mind a question...

I currently have a TTM57 and use the last released version of Scratch Live. I am looking for an inexpensive controller for events like weddings where I don't feel the need to use my 1200s.

I was looking at the Numark Mixtrack Pro II. It's hard enough to switch from what I consider pro hardware to something a bit more beginner, so what am I going to have to do software-wise to keep at least the same performance? I assume this hardware isn't backward compatible with SSL, and my TTM57 isn't compatible with Serato DJ.

So, I guess I'm stuck buying the controller and paying the upgrade?
Seismic 6:55 PM - 17 June, 2014
I should add that I will eventually upgrade to one of the sixty-series mixers from Rane, Sixty-Two, Sixty-Four, or Sixty-Eight. I'm undecided as of yet, and need to save up the money.
JMann 8:43 PM - 30 June, 2014
Quote:
And what if I want to have a backup laptop for one controller? I have to buy two upgrades?

You can have a backup laptop, you just can't use it at the same time as the other one.
What you would do is go under that online tap in the lower right, and deactivate this one, then theatricality you should be able to active it on the other one -your backup - and use that.

I hope that helps. :)
DJ BOSS USA 9:01 PM - 8 December, 2014
I already have serato DJ and Serato Video. If i use the SB with Serato DJ Intro, will the video still work? Besides the extra incentives listed above, is there certain features that will not work on Serato DJ Intro versus Serato DJ? For me I use the basics. couple effects, a couple samples for voice overs and mainly i need the video.
mor 4:12 AM - 26 December, 2014
Serato DJ INTRO DOESN'T SUPPORT FLAC FILES!!!! Apparently the open source .flac licensing fee was too much for Rane to include in their "Light" version. It's like serato went back to the Pre-2012 DARK AGES!
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:55 AM - 26 December, 2014
Rane? You mean Serato
mor 2:53 PM - 28 December, 2014
Is Serato now independent from Rane?
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:36 PM - 28 December, 2014
Always has been
srobak 8:27 PM - 2 January, 2015
Quote:
Is Serato now independent from Rane?

I thought you were done with all things Serato 3 days before this post?
Countflizzy 4:12 PM - 15 March, 2015
so does serato dj support .flac files?
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:24 PM - 15 March, 2015
Yes
Dj Renato Vera 12:47 AM - 14 July, 2015
Hello, i have a SL2 interface with Serato DJ and Serato Video. Recently i bought a DDJ SB Pioneer with Serato intro. My doubt is about software. Can i use my Serato DJ licenses to my DDJ or i have to buy another one for full experience??

When i connect SL2, serato DJ full appears, but when i connect DDJ SB appears 14 days trial for experiment.
pdidy 2:55 AM - 14 July, 2015
Quote:
Can i use my Serato DJ licenses to my DDJ or i have to buy another one for full experience??

you will need to purchase a serato dj upgrade lic.
Dj Renato Vera 11:14 PM - 15 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Can i use my Serato DJ licenses to my DDJ or i have to buy another one for full experience??

you will need to purchase a serato dj upgrade lic.

Thx for your help.
DjBoogz 6:31 AM - 9 September, 2016
I Just want to ask a question now that I have read all the threads. So I currently have a mixtrack pro controller and wanting to get the serato DJ. If I upgrade into a bigger controller, would I need to purchase a new serato DJ?
jeremybastard 10:09 PM - 7 November, 2016
What if you already have a SL3 but need a controller because the club you're playing doesn't have turntables ... do I still need to pay to upgrade to serato dj after spending all of that money on a SL3?
Laz219 9:53 AM - 8 November, 2016
Quote:
What if you already have a SL3 but need a controller because the club you're playing doesn't have turntables ... do I still need to pay to upgrade to serato dj after spending all of that money on a SL3?

Yep, because the SL3 licence is tied to the hardware.
Serato, Support
Mitch H 3:15 AM - 10 November, 2016
There are two types of Serato hardware.

**Serato DJ Enabled**

The Hardware has a licence built into it which means when it is connected to Serato DJ it activates the software. The software only remains active while that hardware is connected. You can not register the licence or take it out of the hardware. Serato DJ will only operate while that hardware is plugged in.

**Serato DJ Upgrade Ready**

These devices are free to use with Serato DJ Intro but require an upgrade licence to be purchased (either within the software or from the Online Store) and activated on your computer, before Serato DJ will go into Online mode. Once a licence is purchased it says attatched to your account and can be used with any Serato supported hardware

A list of Serato Enabled and Serato Upgrade Ready controllers can be found here - serato.com