Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Possible BPM problem/possible being new to DJ'ing problem

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
Reckless_16 4:56 PM - 3 December, 2012
Hi guys,

Quick question about the BPM on some songs. Sometimes when I adjust the BPM it doesn't match up with what's on screen...for example earlier a song that was originally at 72bpm, I moved it up 2% which meant it should have been on 74bpm, but it showed as 75bpm on the screen. Is this a potential problem or is there something I just need to learn?

Thanks for your help.
Deejay Steve 5:06 PM - 3 December, 2012
Moving the pitch slider by 0.80% is equal to +1 BPM as a general rough rule. 1.60% = +2 BPM etc...

Hope that helps
TealONE 6:03 PM - 3 December, 2012
Make clear for yourself the meaning of percentage... per cent means per 100... so 2% is 2 per 100... 2 per 100 of 72 is 72*(2/100)
If you pitch a 72bpm by 2% it means it is 2% faster then 72bpm wich means 72BPM*(2/100) = 1.44BPM so 72BPM + 1.44 BPM = 73.44BPM... The only speed where your calculation of BPM would be right is 100BPM... if you pitch 2% your exactly at 102BPM becaus 100*(2/100) = 2

Hope that helps :)
Quote:
Moving the pitch slider by 0.80% is equal to +1 BPM as a general rough rule. 1.60% = +2 BPM etc...

Hope that helps

a very rough rule ;) maybe at 130BPM range :P
Rane, Support
RafaelM 7:36 PM - 3 December, 2012
Also remember that Scratch Live will display a rounded number in the BPM column. so 72.6 would be rounded to 73. Wow and Flutter from your Decks may also vary the live BPM you see in Scratch Live.
Reckless_16 8:43 PM - 3 December, 2012
Quote:
Make clear for yourself the meaning of percentage... per cent means per 100... so 2% is 2 per 100... 2 per 100 of 72 is 72*(2/100)

If you pitch a 72bpm by 2% it means it is 2% faster then 72bpm wich means 72BPM*(2/100) = 1.44BPM so 72BPM + 1.44 BPM = 73.44BPM... The only speed where your calculation of BPM would be right is 100BPM... if you pitch 2% your exactly at 102BPM becaus 100*(2/100) = 2

Hope that helps :)

Ah yes I see. So say the song on my other deck was at 74bpm and I wanted to match that, I'd have to raise the tempo on the 72bpm song by more than 2%? Surely it'd be easier if it showed us the exact bpm we're actually at rather than the percentage?!
TealONE 11:49 PM - 4 December, 2012
Thats what your ear is for, dont look at the laptop all the time... get a feeling for beatmatching and you wont even have to look on the percentage ;) But if you realy want to have exact bpm try the following steps. I didnt try it myself but just had the idea...

Download and install latest Version of Serato Video and enable it (will run in Demo mode). You wont need the Outputscreen with the watermark. With the last Version of SV they added a new View for SSL wich shows the exact BPM and the Video plugin in a compact way. You loose some overview from the waveform but you should have exact bpm.

But again... practicing is everything... give yourself some time to learn the basics ;) :) Good luck. Maybe close the laptop when you beatmatch ;)
Rane, Support
RafaelM 7:07 PM - 5 December, 2012
Thanks TealONE.
D'Leon 8:36 PM - 5 December, 2012
Also some songs might show up like 140 bpm when in reality its 70 pm vise versa. you will definitely know if its slower or faster when you play the song. when the song is slow and the bpm is high its usually half that vise versa. you can also tap on the bpm display and can show you somewhat accurately what the bpm is after a few taps. best thing to do is analyze your files and go through your songs one by one and make sure they are right.
Good record pools usually already have all the bpm info to begin with but will sometimes run into transitions that dont have the before transition bpm or after transition bpm and thats when you have to find the bpm's out and make sure they are right.
Hope this was some help too you.
Practice practice practice :)
D'Leon 8:37 PM - 5 December, 2012
Quote:
Thats what your ear is for, dont look at the laptop all the time... get a feeling for beatmatching and you wont even have to look on the percentage ;) But if you realy want to have exact bpm try the following steps. I didnt try it myself but just had the idea...

Download and install latest Version of Serato Video and enable it (will run in Demo mode). You wont need the Outputscreen with the watermark. With the last Version of SV they added a new View for SSL wich shows the exact BPM and the Video plugin in a compact way. You loose some overview from the waveform but you should have exact bpm.

But again... practicing is everything... give yourself some time to learn the basics ;) :) Good luck. Maybe close the laptop when you beatmatch ;)

^ Best thing to do no joke
D'Leon 8:40 PM - 5 December, 2012
when he dj's with someone else two separate computers he's gonna have to perfect beat match because when they switch hes gonna have to match the tempo of the other dj
learn it now and things will be a whole lot easier :)
Rane, Support
RafaelM 11:22 PM - 5 December, 2012
Thanks D'Leon.
12:00 AM, 20 Dec 2012
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.