Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Serato DJ + Pioneer DDJ-SX

DJMisterE 2:30 AM - 3 December, 2012
So I finally got my Pioneer DDJ-SX in and I have to say this is the "Game Changer". I've been a Professional DJ and use that term very seriously, for close to 20 years now. I can say with confidence that I've really seen it all.

Several years ago I really started to take notice to the all in one controllers and knew that one day in the near future this would be the ideal delivery method for most of my performances. Only when that perfectly engineered balance between hardware and software was mastered, would I consider the addition to my equipment roster.

That day has finally come! Pioneer & Serato have teamed up to create a controller that bridges the gap between mobile and club djs. This unit really can do it all. Whether you want to scratch, jump between cues, roll the beats, play with effects or even dive into a 6 pad sample back of your own programming there isn't a reason not to be interested at the very least with the DDJ-SX. Serato DJ is another milestone for the New Zealand based software company. Allowing 4 decks and full manipulation of your audio / video is something the DJ community has been asking for over the past few years. Now, adding this reality to a All-In-One controller with 4 channels of mixing, you really have the platform to perform!

A big selling point for me is that I now can walk into a club or event with my backpack & this unit. Before I would have to bring in and hook up the following equipment (2) - (3) Pioneer CDJ-2000 CD Players, (1) Pioneer DJM-900 Mixer, (1) USB-Midi Cable, (2) Novation Dicers, (1) Serato SL3 Scratch LIVE USB Box, (1) Power Strip and another variety of cables. I've now saved approx 20 minutes of load in and setup / another 20 minutes of load out / breakdown. This is HUGE for someone like me who is used to bringing in my equipment to all my gigs.

I've started this thread to get the questions that you the DJ community have about using this device for your own gigs. I feel that if you're serious about having a long career as a DJ adapting to new technology is imminent and should not be ignored. Otherwise you'll walk into a job one day and won't know how to work the only equipment option available to you.

Fire away.........
jevo9 2:43 AM - 3 December, 2012
I recently asked all my Dj friends if they would buy this controller and most of them said no. For me the portability and mix emergency is what really got my attention. The controller looks solid and not cheap.. Can't wait to test it out! One thing I would like some more info is: how well is the cross fader? Is it pretty decent to do advance scratching patterana? Thank you
jevo9 2:43 AM - 3 December, 2012
Patterns*
DJMisterE 2:48 AM - 3 December, 2012
I don't think any controller on the market will be ready for advanced scratching patterns on a competition or high skilled performance level. The fader is solid. New conductor technology makes everything even more touch sensitive for better control. You can replace the fader if desirable.
jevo9 2:59 AM - 3 December, 2012
Thank you misterE, this makes my decision so much easier.
DJMisterE 3:03 AM - 3 December, 2012
No Problem! I'll be webcasting LIVE throughout the next few weeks on livestream using the DDJ-SX w/ MixEmergency & Serato DJ. Follow me on Livestream to be notified the next time I'm online via email
the SOUNDINSURGENT 5:20 AM - 3 December, 2012
No fx send/return and it doesn't look like Serato is gonna add it anytime soon......
DJMisterE 7:08 AM - 3 December, 2012
Dude. Its a controller You can add the effects all internally in Serato DJ and utilize the full parameter rotary knobs on the mixer and assign to channels
phatbob 7:50 AM - 3 December, 2012
Apart from one hip-hop night every week where I still use SL + Techs (which is mainly for the 'look', I ain't gonna lie), I've used my SX at every gig (3 or 4 nights a week) since it came out.

It rocks hard.

Anyone who's already made the jump to CDJs through choice or circumstance will have zero problems adapting to it. It really does feel a lot like a CDJ/DJM setup just compacted down a little.

And the FX in SDJ are a dramatic improvement over Itch.

If you can make the space in the booths you play to accommodate it, you should definitely consider it.
tomatoslice 2:56 AM - 4 December, 2012
are most or all of the knobs, buttons and sliders midi assignable?

for example; could i set the an upfader/volume to increase depth of effects in mix emergency and at the same time increase audio volume?
DJMisterE 3:00 AM - 4 December, 2012
Yes, the enitre controller is midi assignable with parameters. Assigning to ME takes fine tuning and tinkering but it will work. I have mine mapped
Code:E 7:45 AM - 4 December, 2012
Can i still setup mu MPD32 and map it to loops and ME controls? If it only added bridge support I would jump on it like a fat kid to a cupcake
phatbob 11:40 AM - 4 December, 2012
Yep. Not quite as much is mappable to external controllers as with SL (library controls aren't, for example). But loops and stuff definitely are. See the thread about Lemur/TouchOSC to see what I have mapped.
Culprit 7:03 PM - 4 December, 2012
that's sad news for my Numark NS6. I really do love the controller but ive been having weird issues with it since ive obtained it
thr real dj twist 5:51 PM - 5 December, 2012
Do you get Video-SL free with the DDJ ? How does the new platter compare to the CDJ platters ?
Sparky911 6:00 PM - 5 December, 2012
The first 10,000 people to purchase the DDJ-SX receive Serato Video for free. The new platters are WAY better than I expected. Very comparable to the CDJ's (though smaller). VERY VERY tight platters. As for the question on crossfader and scratching, I saw a pretty sick scratch demo with the DDJ-SX just yesterday. I think it would be fine for advanced scratching. What do your friends who didn't recommend buying the unit use? You can see from this forum that the unit is being purchased and used in clubs with very good reviews.
DJMisterE 9:13 PM - 5 December, 2012
The platters are great. Took a few days to get used to the smaller size but I adjusted just fine. I'm hoping that a newer update of Serato DJ will include internal release time settings for the platter. Pretty much my only gripe.

Using SDJ 1.1 now and yes I got a free copy of Serato Video with my purchase however I don't use it because I'm using MixEmergency as my video output and control. Serato Video is just way too far behind MixEmergency and with universal technology now in place the program just lays over it. Has nothing to do with the internal workings of Serato DJ anymore. It's all a MAC thing.
DJ Warren G 10:14 PM - 11 March, 2013
Questions:
Let's say I want to use the 2 channels built into the controller in conjunction with 2 external channels such as 2 turntables...
Is it possible to use control vinyls on the 2 turntables?
Will I need a SL3 box to use control vinyl on the 2 turntables?
If I do need a SL3 box, will I need a second laptop? Or can one laptop running Serato handle both the controller and the SL3 box?
Sparky B 11:27 PM - 11 March, 2013
Just got mine at the weekend..... sadly crashed twice ..... anyone had the same issue? Def not a mac book issue
benictrs 3:47 AM - 12 March, 2013
So i have purchased the Pioneer DDJ-SX and after a little play around in the office vent live with it in the club . The night was pretty important so i had to record the mix , i also had an Mc on the mike in that night ( he was plugged in CH4) . It was one of those good night's when you forget that you are recording , and everything just goes wright . I had one little audio dropout but nothing major .
I went home and listened the mix but for some reason only the music got recorded i didn't hear the Mc , absolutely nothing from the mic channel ???
I previously owned the NS6 and the VCI-380 they both recorded the mic input . So i ask you guys is there something that i'm doing wrong ??? I have read the manual and it doesn't seem to
say anything in this regard , so i'm pretty much clueless in what should i do ??

P.S. I am using the latest firmware on my DDJ-SX and the latest version of Serato Dj . Also one last question how do you engage AM mode in Serato DJ ??? Is it gone ??? In itch worked just fine , alsoo in Scratch Live . Thank you in advance :)
Code:E 6:29 AM - 12 March, 2013
^^^^ I don't own a DDJsx but i dont think your missing anything. The mic is just not routed to the rec channel theres nothing you can do to record it with the DDJSX
Quote:
AM mode

HAhahahahaha. if your so insecure about what tracks you are playing go back to the 90's and play vinyl.
tomatoslice 12:40 AM - 15 March, 2013
aaah yesss, i remember putting stickers over my rec labels.
Frank Spinatra 6:19 AM - 15 March, 2013
Quote:
aaah yesss, i remember putting stickers over my rec labels.

Or flipping through your bin with all the white labels you had to hand write on, or just remember what they were from where they were in your crate (usually next to the tracks you always played them with).
tomatoslice 1:29 AM - 16 March, 2013
aaaah yessss, forgot about that.
i looked in one of my cases a few months back and wondered few times "how the fk did i go from this song to that song?!?"
djnak 7:49 PM - 16 March, 2013
Quote:
^^^^ I don't own a DDJsx but i dont think your missing anything. The mic is just not routed to the rec channel theres nothing you can do to record it with the DDJSX
Quote:
AM mode

HAhahahahaha. if your so insecure about what tracks you are playing go back to the 90's and play vinyl.

I actually have used this in certain spots....not cause Im insecure about what im playing...also Im playing videos (of which are mostly chyron'd so the name of said track is plastered on the screens ) but to stop other dj's/customers from standing a foot behind me trying to read the screen....if you wanna know ask I have no issues telling anyone what track or where I got it from

don't use it much anymore b/c of using M.e. (the people still stand behind me but are trying to figure out what program I am using...then come the questions)

Im gonna get a shirt that say YES its Serato No its not SV printed on the back.....
Code:E 8:40 PM - 16 March, 2013
Quote:
but to stop other dj's/customers from standing a foot behind me trying to read the screen....if you wanna know ask I have no issues telling anyone what track or where I got it from

understandable for sure....
deejaychoice 10:20 PM - 9 May, 2013
Question - Anyone have a problem with the crossfader curve in the mix really low and high volume on the cuts? Please advise and thanks!
Phuture2 10:53 AM - 14 June, 2013
hey deejaychoice,

what firmware is on your DDJ-SX? Version 1.7 has a known issue witht he crossfader and the sound across it. See the attached link.

serato.com
3j 8:54 AM - 28 June, 2013
Hi just got the ddj sx yesterday within 10 mins had a problem with deck 4 pitch bend not working. eject track tried again same thing happen until i turned the sx off and tried again then worked. in the few hours i was testing it this happened again with deck 4 and deck 2. look up on forum and it is happened to other people , also one time the censer button on deck 2 would not turn off! have uninstalled serato dj and reinstall same thing happened. update firmware and same thing happened, for the amount spend on the sx it should be working perfectly. please help or i can see me sending it back there is no way i should have had so many problem in an hour! look froward to from hearing from you!
DJ DisGrace 2:14 PM - 28 June, 2013
Quote:
look froward to from hearing from you!

better start a help request if you actually want to "hear from" Serato
3j 3:39 PM - 28 June, 2013
have done bro just taking long!!
DJ DisGrace 3:50 PM - 28 June, 2013
Quote:

Ok, just making sure. Mods are rarely sighted in this corner of the forum...
3j 4:17 PM - 28 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, just making sure. Mods are rarely sighted in this corner of the forum...

sweet bro nice!!
phatbob 4:56 PM - 28 June, 2013
You posted in here prior to opening a help request, so don't pretend that you were waiting for a response.

Quite how somebody would ever think that adding to an existing thread in the Video General Discussion area might be a way to get support for Serato DJ hardware is beyond me.
3j 5:02 PM - 28 June, 2013
Quote:
You posted in here prior to opening a help request, so don't pretend that you were waiting for a response.

Quite how somebody would ever think that adding to an existing thread in the Video General Discussion area might be a way to get support for Serato DJ hardware is beyond me.

m8 just need help paid all that money for something that wasn't tested properly
Djpushplay 3:10 PM - 11 August, 2013
Can someone confirm you can use turntables with this at the same time as using the thing itself?
I'm thinking of buying this and replacing my mixer and my Mixtrack pro.
I was using SSL with turnies and SDJ on the Mixtrack on an external monitor when having a jam with mates. But I like the idea of using it with SSL and SDJ at the same time depending on why I'm using it for in my mix.
Would I also need my SL1 box?
Thanks
Asu 7:03 PM - 11 August, 2013
DjPush...yes the mixer section is a standalone $ Channel Mixer...so you can use Turn Tables with a Scratch Live sound card and you're good to go :-)
Djpushplay 9:32 PM - 11 August, 2013
Is there a way to use Turntables and the MIDI interface at the same time without having to run SSL & SDJ? Like can you just run SDJ and have 2 MIDI decks and 2 scratch decks like you can in Traktor?
DJMark 12:49 AM - 12 August, 2013
Quote:

Besides that, sounds like the user probably has a warranty issue with Pioneer, not an issue with Serato.
Dj Edub 1:18 AM - 23 November, 2013
Hello, can anyone help me out? Im having a problem hearing the music thru my headphones,when I hit the cue button the music play out loud thru the speakers instead of the headphones. I just got the ddj-sx i love everything about it, accept Im not sure if its a bug or I'm doing something wrong. Please help
2kind 10:36 AM - 1 May, 2014
If you use DDJ-Sx at home but use SL3 on the road.. Can this cause any problems with the programme after updating your software for the DDJ-SX
Culprit 9:24 PM - 1 May, 2014
should be no problem at all
DJMisterE 5:07 PM - 4 May, 2014
Quote:
If you use DDJ-Sx at home but use SL3 on the road.. Can this cause any problems with the programme after updating your software for the DDJ-SX

I use this exact scenario and have experienced ZERO problems
Darryl Rees 4:11 PM - 6 October, 2015
Hey

I use DDJ SX with Mix emergency, but channel 2 on the controller is faulty so now i use channel 1 and 4 to mix mp3's. Is it possible to mix videos with channel 1 and 4 as well? I have a looked in the setup for serato dj and preferences in Mix emergency but can't seem to find a solution. Can anyone help?
TIA
Khimani 4:43 PM - 2 November, 2015
i have DDJ-SX flashing fx2, i have looked for solutions online and found that it needs firmware upgrade. i have downloaded the software and followed the procedure..i.e hold SHIFT&SYNC power on.... tried to start the software but the DDJ IS NOT CONNECTED si the message am getting....i am really tired as i have doone this for almost 2hrs and i have not seen any progress. kindly rescue me out of this. HELP! HELP! HELP!

mckimani@gmail.com
Code:E 10:06 PM - 2 November, 2015
what version of Serato DJ are you running?
Khimani 6:07 AM - 3 November, 2015
i have tried even version 1.8 on diffrent computers and the response is the same. i just want to understand why am getting the message DDJ SX NOT CONNECTED everytime i try to upgrade the firmware. is there any other option?
Code:E 6:13 AM - 3 November, 2015
Do you have the drivers installed?
Khimani 6:15 AM - 3 November, 2015
yes. i downloaded them yesterday...the axio?
DJ Baby Boy 6:45 AM - 3 November, 2015
What OS are you using? Khimani
Khimani 7:05 AM - 3 November, 2015
sorry WIN7 PRO
DJ Baby Boy 7:09 AM - 3 November, 2015
Odd question but did you happen to restart your laptop after each installation that you performed? with SDJ and the Firmware?
Khimani 9:14 AM - 3 November, 2015
yes.