Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

External storage via gigabit NAS for live use

DouggyFresh 7:57 PM - 2 December, 2012
Does anyone know if the performance on a 1000Mbps (gigabit) Network Attached Storage drive like the WD Live would be fast enough to use for external video storage to be used while playing live? I'm just thinking that 1000Mbps > 480Mbps (USB 2.0) but is the amount of network overhead actually greater than a direct connection?
MSF 12:02 AM - 5 December, 2012
I am interested in this as well... I bought the old dlink dns-343 NAS and I will probably/eventually be using it in the fashion that you are describing at my home.

I have used a kurobox NAS(Gig-e interface) to share mp3/aiff files to a 'windows box(dell 700m)[100mbit interface]' over SAMBA, and that seemed to work ok'ish ... but, I only tested this for about 10-15 minutes... The tracks loaded fine, but It seemed that things were starting to load a bit laggy-ish, but I believe it is because that old dell 700m is a single core pentium M 1.6ghz processor with 2GbRAM.
I did This test when SSL was @ version 1.6 or something really old... like maybe 3-4-or-5 years ago or something...Maybe the SSL program is better now...... but, I have not tested it with a faster laptop.

I dont think the problem would be with bandwidth constraints, but instead, I believe that if problems exude, it will be because of latency.... especially, if you have a dirty network.

anyways..... im also hoping someone will be able to provide information about their home tests to see if video is working fine from a NAS or a shared network resource.
Culprit 4:05 PM - 11 December, 2012
I had this concept as well a few years back for my mbp 2010. I had driver issues trying to set it up and returned the nas that I had tried in where you put in the hard drive you want.

For pc laptop, the way to go is usb3 or esata, mbp stick with firewire 800.
evillevi 12:00 PM - 19 December, 2012
I would not recommend it for live use. I'm about to test it for home use though, on a single bay Synology of 1 terabyte holding music and video to be used with a MBP. At the moment I do not want to spend money on a portable external, because I still have plenty of space on my internal drive to copy music and video to (for weddings I might keep the files on the internal drive) when preparing a set for on the road. If you perform a lot outdoors, you may as well want to spend the extra money for gain of transfer speed and data safety, especially when your internal disk space is rather limited. Firewire 800, as Culprit pointed out, is the way to go then if you own a Macbook Pro. I'll let you guys know the results of the home test soon.