Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Audio dropouts

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Hiki 1:21 AM - 29 November, 2012
I've seen many topics about this but no solid responses. I am getting occasional audio dropouts. They are about a half-second in length and occur once or twice an hour during continuous play. So far it seems completely random - sometimes happening when no input is done on controller or keyboard, sometimes when using controller as well. During the dropout sound simply drops for a half a second, all visuals in software freeze for that period as well as lights on the controller. Then they resume as normal after the half-second dropout.

This happened on a 2007 Macbook Pro 2.4 Core 2, 4GB RAM, 7200rpm internal drive. Please spare me the "make sure programs are closed" "airport turned off". This is a dedicated laptop with a fresh install of Snow Leopard, fully updated, no other applications ever installed and completely optimized to not run a single unnecessary service. The hard drive and memory are brand new and it has been used with Traktor and VDJ for a few years with no problems EVER. I know this is the minimum specs for this software but when the audio dropouts occur it is hardly using any CPU resources.

It's not the buffer latency settings either. I have had it set to maximum buffer size (lowest latency) for maximum stability since day one. With all these people having this issue we all know it's not a small setting issue - this is a hardware or software problem.

I just want to know if this is a software issue that can be solved with an update, software update exclusive to OSX, or a hardware issue. If it is a hardware issue how long will I have to exchange my unit through Pioneer or will I have to go through my retailer which I am limited to 30 days after purchase to exchange?

Thanks.
Hiki 3:24 AM - 29 November, 2012
I meant "Highest latency" as in 1024 samples/20ms.
Hiki 3:42 AM - 30 November, 2012
Anything?
Chris Beckler 8:56 AM - 30 November, 2012
Yesterday had this also, was only after 20mins of playing? Suddenly everything freeze. The controller and visuals and audio... Then within 2seconds, everything resumes.

When this happend I immediatly checked CPU (since I have Taskmanager always open minimized) and cpu usage was at its lowest. So it was not a CPU spike.

Think I had this happening some other times too, but though it was CPU back then. This is pretty odd.

It's like someone presses Pause and resumes shortly-after, so this has nothing to do with buffer-size imo because if this was the issue, the gui should not stop/freeze I think.
Dj DiPap 12:20 PM - 30 November, 2012
i have the same issue!!!
turn your latency at 2ms and your dropout its stoped a little...
at 20 ms latency my drop out is 2 sec every hour now with 2 ms latency is 2 sec all the night!!!
try it!
i cant believe that serato doing this!
i never have a problem
djianl 12:30 PM - 30 November, 2012
I have the same once per night so far
Funkeybro 11:18 PM - 30 November, 2012
+1 for this.

Did a 6 hour gig last night (my first with Serato DJ and SX) and it must have happened about 5 or more times. Exactly same as OP described.

2.4ghz intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.6.8

My Mac is a year and half old, but would expect its still more than capable of running DJ smoothly at the best buffer settings?

Think I saw the CPU meter flash red at one point when it happened? I had absolutely no other programs running, no wifi, no BT, and all my prefs for power saving switched off including screen savers etc.

Will have to try lowering the settings in DJ for the next one and see if that helps I guess?
Funkeybro 11:27 PM - 1 December, 2012
Spent a few hours playing at a mates place last night using lowered buffer settings (about half way). Still got three of these split second drop outs, he witnessed with me too.

He's a SSL user and said even on his lower spec MacBook Pro he'd never had that happen once while using it.

Curious.
fatdjsin 6:52 PM - 2 December, 2012
here also having this problem. was having it also with the combo (itch + ddj-s1) but i blamed the external hard drive.

now i have a new 480 gb ssd internal hard drive... and i still get the 1 second audio dropout randomly occuring.... it's a i5 8g acer laptop fully optimised no internet / antivirus / firewall / no other soft running.

no latency problem detected by a software

an important thing is that i NEVER experienced this with scratch live (using an sl3) ..(i use it 50% of the time)

...so it kinda proves that it's not my computer the problem.
DJ REACT 6:58 PM - 2 December, 2012
+1 - SAME HERE. I GOT A HANDFUL OF DROPOUTS LAST NIGHT. AND I KNOW IT'S NOT MY BEAST OF A MACBOOK PRO..
fundando 7:58 PM - 2 December, 2012
Having the same issue. Running a 2.26 dual 8gb ram macbook pro 10.7.5
fatdjsin 8:05 PM - 2 December, 2012
is there any software that could log the events so we could point a cause to this problem?
Asu 8:53 PM - 2 December, 2012
Quote:
Having the same issue. Running a 2.26 dual 8gb ram macbook pro 10.7.5

Sounds like a software stability issue...let's hope they fix it in Ver 1.1 coming next year
DjElements 9:52 PM - 2 December, 2012
same here
ernie 6:17 AM - 3 December, 2012
same here last night gig i play for 5 hours nonstop and experienced maybe 8 to 12 drop out half seconds drop out....im using (macbook pro 1.7.5 8 gig ram)
Hiki 8:38 PM - 3 December, 2012
The problem is no longer bothering me, however it is not fixed.

I ended up switching to another laptop. I took a newer 2010 Macbook Pro 2.6 Quad i7 8gb RAM and SSD, reinstalled a fresh image of Mountain Lion. I did not use user migration to transfer files. I wanted fresh everything. Only installed Serato DJ, disabled all uneccesary services and set the settings to be optimal for a DJ laptop.

While imaging the laptop I saw that "Dave W" on here posted how to factory reset your controller. So I tried his instructions:

"Turn off DDJ-SX
Turn On
Hold down left Shift + Deck 1 buttons. Wait till lights go off, then hold down both sync buttons. Lights should show up, hold for 5 or more seconds till lights go off. Then restart controller.."

Although this process seems to not work as written, I played around with button combos and eventually the controller was reset (I knew this because Demo mode was set to ON even though I originally turned it OFF)

I imported just my itunes library over to the new laptop and rebuilt the Serato library based off that. Every other file on the laptop was brand new and not transferred over from my old one. Make sure your OS is fully updated.

The longest I have played since I have done all this is about an hour and 45min. Happy to say NO DROPOUTS so far... Default settings in Serato DJ. 10ms latency.

However, my old laptop still gets the dropouts. This is obviously a software problem.

To conclude: if you don't have a new laptop to try this on then TRY THE FACTORY RESET. Hopefully somebody can figure out he correct procedure as I have no clue exactly how I did it. CAN WE GET A MOD TO POST HOW TO PROPERLY FACTORY RESET A DDJ-SX?

Other than that, I guess we will have to wait for an update to see if that fixes it.

Hope this helps.
DjElements 1:38 AM - 4 December, 2012
try my video it may help : Watchwww.youtube.com
Hiki 2:02 AM - 4 December, 2012
You are showing how to get into "Utility Mode' to change certain settings with the controller.

I would like to know how to "Factory Reset" your controller. It is a different process.
Serato, Support
David Wood 3:35 AM - 4 December, 2012
Hey Hiki,

We've spoken to Pioneer and they have recommended not to use that factory resetting technic I suggested in an earlier thread. None the less I don't believe with would have helped anything. We do feel this is quiet possible software related and we are working on it. I do have some questions for you to aid our continuing investigation.

When it drops out does the USB light come on within Serato DJ?

When this dropout happens does the program/waveform pause or freeze also?

Any other background or info you believe could help around the dropouts and there frequency.

Regards
Dave W
DeezNotes 3:50 AM - 4 December, 2012
Not sure of this means anything to you, but a few of us had this exact same problem with the DDJ-S1.
Hiki 4:20 AM - 4 December, 2012
I did not notice any USB light - then again I did not know that existed or where to look.

During the dropouts (at least for me) the entire program freezes, waveforms and all.

Also to note I always try to use the "good" usb port on each laptop. On the newer 2010 unibody model I use the port closest to the power jack. On the 2007 the "good" port is the left side however it seemed the dropouts would occur less frequently while plugged into the right side USB. Might be all in my head though.

I played a hour and 45 minute set tonight on the 2010 laptop with no issues whatsoever. Sometime this week will be trying out 1.1.0

Does the new version contain any fixes relating to the dropouts?
DJ JeffG 5:57 AM - 4 December, 2012
I experienced the same dropouts Saturday night. Split second each happened 3 times in 4 hours. Very embarrassing as I was playing with a bunch of SSL guys.

I differ slightly with hiki in that the waveforms continue to scroll. Also each time it happened was during a cross fade mix...not sure if that's relevant but thought I would mention it....with such a small sample this could just be coincidence.
djkrazyleo 2:53 PM - 4 December, 2012
Same thing happens here, and yes normally when the hiccups happens the midi light does flash however,I have been an itch user for about 3 years and I have own almost all the itch controllers and this problem always seems to occur maybe it is a controller related issue because it never happens with any of the rane products for SSL .
Serato, Support
David Wood 12:00 AM - 5 December, 2012
Both ITCH and Serato DJ are more CPU intensive programs with more information being processed VIA USB and MIDI than Scratch Live. There should be a compassion made between them really, they are quite different products.

There hasn't been any specific bug fixes related to this as it's not always easy to reproduce this and is most likely related to only some computers and there are a number of factors which can contribute to these kinds of issues. We are gathering information for users as to there computer spec's, external HD spec's, Database size (the amount of music/video files/crates within the library) and USB port types.
Thanks for continuing to reply with your info and updates, I'll endeavor to relay this information on and hopefully we can build a picture of common factors which could lead to the causes for some/all of you.

Hiki, good to hear your feedback on my last post, continue to test and let me know about the MIDI USB light. Another question would be the size of your Database maybe testing with the Activity monitor open and running to see what your CPU and HD is doing at the time of dropouts. You can find Activity Monitor in Applications > Utilities.

Regards
Dave W
fatdjsin 6:46 AM - 5 December, 2012
trying to give more info : hapenned on ddj-s1 like someone said.

and i got this dropout during a recording (internaly recorded in serato dj) and i did not find the dropout in the recorded wav ! (that surprised me a lot) i glad i did continue to record !

when it happens ... i see the wave display stoping (with the audio output) then 1 long second later .. all goes back to normal.

again : never hapenned on ssl.

acer, i5 8g. ram, 480ssd hd, on win7 64. 32 000 song approx , 50 videos, 20 crates
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:47 PM - 5 December, 2012
Hey Guys,

I'd also like to know which of you have Auto Gain enable? Can you test with and without it engaged?

Regards
Dave W
dameon B 11:09 PM - 5 December, 2012
Should Auto Gain be disabled? I have it enabled and i get dropouts as well. I am a ITCH user and have had this problem since 1.7. I've tried everything except disabling Auto Gain. I would love if this would finally put this to bed for me. I was hoping Serato DJ upgrade would have been solved it once and for all but apparently it doesn't.
Serato, Support
David Wood 11:12 PM - 5 December, 2012
Hey Dameon B,
I'd give it a go and report back, however your issue could be different, if you'd like to start your own help thread it maybe more beneficial to get more personal support.
Regards
Dave W
dameon B 11:18 PM - 5 December, 2012
Quickest response I've ever gotten from Serato. I'll try it out, but exactly what does "Auto Gain" do Dave W? I've opened help requests with this drop out problem before and it's never been fixed by the way. I just decided to accept it until I can upgrade to SSL.
Serato, Support
David Wood 11:28 PM - 5 December, 2012
Have a read here about Auto Gain: serato.com

This isn't a fix for you, it's more about us testing with the DDJ-SX and Serato DJ dropouts.

Regards
Dave W
fatdjsin 8:43 AM - 8 December, 2012
im using WITH auto gain ... but hey i can manage my gain myself.... i always fine tune it m
DJ JeffG 2:22 AM - 10 December, 2012
Just a quick note, possible cause of my issue. It very well could have been my own oversight. I was using my laptop on an airplane 2 weeks ago and had set my power settings to power saver. That would cause sporadic USB power interruptions, and lower CPU performance. I realized my oversight last night before I started my gig. I did not experience a single drop out. Friday night I did. The only thing that changed was the power settings. Hope this helps someone else.
Mark broadhead 12:16 PM - 10 December, 2012
Having the dropout issues i7 macbook pro 8gb 1tb and the DDJSX. Audio just drops out at least once a night. I have also had another kind dropout the the lights on the controller light and everything has stopped i hit play again and everything is back to normal. please fix this. using Ver 1.1
ernie 6:48 PM - 10 December, 2012
same here after upgrading to 1.1 i use it last saturday and i have 3 drop out on a 5 hour gig.. and still the platter skip while scratching i happen 2X
Mark broadhead 8:20 PM - 17 December, 2012
has nothing to do with the auto gain same problem if its on or off. Is there any advice.
Serato, Support
David Wood 8:35 PM - 17 December, 2012
Hey everyone,

We are trying to locate the common factors which are causing these half second drop outs, if you could please send me the System profile, i'll guide you with instructions:

Go to Apple > About this mac > More Info > System Report > File > Save

Then attach to the thread please.

This may aid us in locating the issue faster, we are working on this issue.

Regards
Dave W
9:02 PM, 17 Dec 2012
Mark broadhead attached a file: MacBook Pro.spx
Download· Permalink
JO VILL 9:11 PM - 17 December, 2012
In regards to the drop outs I still have them with auto gain off.also when the hardware is connected I get no response on the file tab or the split headphones tab I had to use a mic and the system failed to work with a wired and wireless mic feeling very disappointed on top of embarrassed trying to be patient with this product and I find it hard to believe you release this with so many issues! SMH.
Chris Beckler 11:43 AM - 20 December, 2012
It is not only a mac issue btw... Happend random in windows also.
djkrazyleo 1:17 PM - 20 December, 2012
i think it's a serato issue hopefully they can get it sorted out.
Serato, Support
David Wood 11:25 PM - 20 December, 2012
Hey Chris Beckler,

If you have a P.C with this issue or know of threads or info you have link me to that would be very help? We have not seen any P.C's with this issue yet.

Regards
Dave W
DerekBrandon 7:55 PM - 21 December, 2012
My Serato DJ freezes and audio becomes distorted or just stops playing. The wave forms barely move. I have tried everything. My CPU is only using 1.6%. I am on a Mac 10.6.8 with dual core 2.4 intel processor. This should be adequate. I have read many posts and it seems many people are having this issues or something similar. Today I tried lifting the unit off the table I use and it works. I repeated this many times and each time the problem was immediately corrected once I lifted it. Maybe the unit needs a ground like a turntable.
7:36 AM, 26 Dec 2012
DjKnzY attached a file: MacBook Pro.spx
Download· Permalink
DjKnzY 7:37 AM - 26 December, 2012
hello
i have the same problem, i play for 7 hours nonstop every week and experienced maybe 5 to 6 drop out half seconds drop out....im using macbook pro 1.8.7 8 gig ram intel core i5 2,3 GHz with a ddj-sx
thanks
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:52 PM - 6 January, 2013
Hey Guys,

I have experienced this myself over the Holiday break. We are looking into it. Please continue sending your feedback and experiences. Please add you system spec's and important information.

Regards
Dave W
Funkeybro 11:47 PM - 6 January, 2013
Not sure if I'm doing something wrong (quite possible) but I can't see these on my MBP after I go in to this area:

> System Report > File > Save
Serato, Support
David Wood 12:53 AM - 7 January, 2013
What version of MAC OSX are you on Funkeybro?
Funkeybro 11:33 AM - 7 January, 2013
Mac OS X version 10.6.8

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:54 PM - 7 January, 2013
There is an extra step for you on 10.6.8. Usually you go start from 'More Info' to system report, then go to the task bar and file > Save.
9:38 AM, 9 Jan 2013
leonteegan attached a file: MacBook Pro.spx
Download· Permalink
leonteegan 9:40 AM - 9 January, 2013
I have started getting the random audio dropouts too despite optimizing my Mac & had no issues running Itch for a long long time, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to them either had one after 1 minute yesterday & had 2hr mixes with none. System Profile attached.
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:51 PM - 9 January, 2013
Hey leonteegan,

Are you talking about this happening in ITCH?

Regards
Dave W
leonteegan 8:26 AM - 10 January, 2013
No in SDJ
DjBoozie 5:46 PM - 10 January, 2013
I hope something is done about this real soon
fatdjsin 3:54 AM - 15 January, 2013
this is really random to me ... did it 5 times saturday ..(from 7pm to 3 am) but tonight .. NOT at all...
fatdjsin 3:55 AM - 15 January, 2013
i seem to encounter it less if i ACTIVATE the auto-gain ...
4:00 AM, 29 Jan 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.