DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DJ Lighting Effects

mick0880 5:37 PM - 21 May, 2008
I want to buy some lighting effects for my mobile setup but I don't know what to get. When I go to Guitar Center.com, I see a lot of effects that look like they need to be hung on a ceiling. I'm looking for something that can set up on some stands on the floor. I'm thinking of renting them but don't know where to go (in Baltimore).

I have a graduation gig in June that will be held at the Marriott for about 150 people. So I need something that will light it up for that many heads.
djkyletaylor 5:55 PM - 21 May, 2008
Martin Wizards!!!! They have special stands to make them sit up write. I carry 2 to all my mobile gigs. People complement them all the time...

www.martin.com
mick0880 6:38 PM - 21 May, 2008
Whoa...yeah I'm kinda on a bugdet. Looks nice though. I'm looking for something more affordable....maybe around $300 or less...something to start off with...but thanks...
FunkyRob 7:27 PM - 21 May, 2008
start with one of these cheesy kits

www.guitarcenter.com

and buy a cheap fog machine.
FunkyRob 7:36 PM - 21 May, 2008
better yet,

check this out.

www.guitarcenter.com

if it really comes with all 4 pieces, this looks totally work getting.

then you'd need one of these pain in the ass trusses too.

www.guitarcenter.com

I've had a similar one of these, but mine doesn't have the crank things to raise. Seems like that would come in handy.
stevie o 12:41 AM - 22 May, 2008
does those martin wizards have external controls
or is it software controleable?
djkyletaylor 4:02 AM - 22 May, 2008
Quote:
does those martin wizards have external controls
or is it software controleable?

I think you can do both.. I just plug mine into each other with XLR so the colors and objects match up. Don't really know to much more about them.
Julls 4:14 AM - 22 May, 2008
mle 6:44 AM - 22 May, 2008
I would only buy LED lighting (low heat and lasts a long time, never change a bulb again). Chauvet LED rain64's (~$140)are great cans that you can put along the walls of a room to give a great elegant effect. LED Colorstrips (~$200) can provide good wash and some cool strobe effects. A VUE III (~$200) will add some firework like effects that you can shine on the floor or ceiling (great if you don't have any truss). What's your budget?
mick0880 5:58 PM - 22 May, 2008
My budget is about $300. I'll look into that.
skinnyguy 7:27 PM - 22 May, 2008
running wizards without a dmx controller is a waste of money. you should look into a dmx controller of some sort to unleash its full potential.
mick0880 11:51 AM - 23 May, 2008
Does Guitar Center rent out equipment?
DJ GaFFle 2:21 PM - 23 May, 2008
Quote:
running wizards without a dmx controller is a waste of money. you should look into a dmx controller of some sort to unleash its full potential.

It seems like DMX controllers are difficult to configure. Is using them THAT much better than say a Elation Co-PilotII (which I have)?
MusicMeister 3:02 PM - 23 May, 2008
The co pilot turns the lights on and off. A DMX controller CONTROLS the lights. In other words, with LED par cans you can change the colors, with scanners you can change the gobo, position, color, etc.

No, Guitar Center doesn't rent equipment. If you have a good relationship with them you can return something without too much in the way of hassles. I did that with a Vue II. I really wanted a Vue III, but figured I'd try to the II since they didn't have the III in stock. Didn't care for it, wanted something different and ended up with a Dual LED Reflex. All in all I've been pretty happy with that (basic moonflower) and ended up NOT getting the Vue III.

As for lighting, I'd start with a basic color wash. A couple Chauvet Technostrobes would provide that nicely. Price is $179 each, maybe you can either stretch your budget a little to pick up a pair. Next I'd get a basic moonflower. The Vue series from Chauvet (or Revo Series from American DJ) aren't bad in this respect. For a mobile I'd consider either the Vue (Revo) II or Vue (Revo) III. If you're doing large venues, I'd consider the Vue VI. If you won't ever be going to DMX control, the American DJ LED Reflex is pretty nice. It's sound active only, and works quite well. I've used it for school dances with pretty good results.

In other words, you can start with some basic lighting and build on the basic without breaking the bank.
mick0880 4:06 PM - 23 May, 2008
Thanks MusicMeister...Great advice!

How do I set those up? I'd like to see lighting effects in a setup because I have the slightest idea how they are suppose to be set up. All the lighting effects Guitar Center displays look like they're suppose to be hung up on the ceiling or something...or some kind of truss. Like the moonflower for example, that looks like something to hang on the ceiling.
MusicMeister 10:34 PM - 25 May, 2008
A couple light stands - they'll get them up to 10-12ft in the air. They're not too expensive, but I was guessing that you already had one.

As an alternative you can always point them at the ceiling. I've done this before and gotten excellent results.
Julls 1:26 AM - 26 May, 2008
Look into Freestyler DMX to control DMX lights on a PC. Its a lot easier than using a hardware DMX controller.
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:04 AM - 27 May, 2008
Quote:

+100

I use my Wizard with my DXM controller and its freakin awesome!! You can configure the light for any mood. Nice and slow when people are entering for mood lighting, crazy and strobbing in diff colors during dance sets. White rotating light like a disco ball for slow dances. It really lets you do whatever the hell you want. Def suggest a Wiazard with DMX. Although you are looking at over $1300 for that combo!
mick0880 8:24 PM - 8 June, 2008
Ok so I'm on a $500 budget. I'm thinking of getting 2 light stands at Guitar Center which costs about $60 each. I'm now looking around for lights to mount on there. Here's what the stands look like...

www.guitarcenter.com

I'm just trying to get the most decent lights for the budget that I'm on.
Dj BuddyLove 1:56 AM - 9 June, 2008
^^Chauvet Intimidator 1.0 DMX Intelligent Scanner
www.guitarcenter.com

about the best intelligent lights you can get for the price.
mick0880 11:20 AM - 9 June, 2008
Cool...So would I cop 2 of them and mount 1 on each stand?
Dj BuddyLove 11:49 AM - 9 June, 2008
get one of these stands and the chauvets stated above^^ to start your light show.
cgi.ebay.com
this stand is nice because you can use it as pictured or just usr the tripod tree's without the middle truss.
Certified Quality Entertainment 1:11 PM - 9 June, 2008
Global Truss FTW. They are awesome. Prob out of your price range but they are the best trussing system I have ever used. They are heavy and bulky but totally worth it in my opinion. Plus you can hang bigger lights and TVs from them once you get bigger.
Dj BuddyLove 9:20 AM - 10 June, 2008
^^true but i just posted the other because of his price range.
Certified Quality Entertainment 1:40 PM - 10 June, 2008
Yea, I had that one back in the day. It was good enough to get me by at the time.
Dj BuddyLove 12:55 AM - 12 June, 2008
if i were him id really rather save my dough and get the dura truss system from adj.
www.americandj.com
im planning on getting the dura truss system soon w/2 extra 5ft sections.
dj garcia 6:04 AM - 12 June, 2008
here you go this looks good it's all half off . www.cheapdjgear.us
Dj BuddyLove 5:33 PM - 12 June, 2008
^^i noticed alot of the gear especially the lights are discontinued so if anything gose wrong ya SCREWED!!!
Dj BuddyLove 5:38 PM - 12 June, 2008
wait my bad they renamed some lights??? (why would you do that??) also dont think i would trust them. prob not auth dealer witch means your shit out of luck for warrenty.
Logisticalstyles 11:41 PM - 12 June, 2008
Here's a quick tip on lighting. If you have the non-LED lights, don't go to Guita center or wherever and pay $10 for a replacement bulb. Home Depot sells the same bulbs for $3. I just discovered that last month. That way you can run your lights all night and not be worried about haveing to replace that 10 dollar bulb every 2 months. They work great in my American DJ and Chauvet products.
Dj BuddyLove 12:19 AM - 13 June, 2008
^^thanks nice tip there logisticalstyles thats cool because i just purchased 6 adj Fusion Scan 250 ex's and want to have backup bulbs just in case one blows before a gig.
a DJ 7:17 PM - 13 June, 2008
Logisticalstyles, what kinda bulbs do you need to buy? I have an American DJ Double Roller.
DjRekTek 8:45 AM - 14 June, 2008
Quote:
^^Chauvet Intimidator 1.0 DMX Intelligent Scanner
www.guitarcenter.com

about the best intelligent lights you can get for the price.

I have had a set (4) of these for about a year now and done at least 60 gigs with them with no problems running them for at least 3 or more hours each time (knock on wood) your biggest problem that you may want to think about is the price on replacement lamps for any of the older style lights that are not led. I have had to replace abut 12 lamps all together through the 60 gigs or so I have used them at( around 5-10 bucks a pop)....yes good for the price! Also if you do mobiles people are usually amazed by any lighting effects at all considering most of them have only seen police beacons and a strobe light blaring from the time they entered till the time they leave....(so 80's lol)but yeah, I Have the intimidators mounted on a t-bar already conected to a power strip and the xlr cables linking them up, so all I have to do when I get to my gig is throw the bar on top of the stand, tighten it down, plug in the wired remote which is a must have, plug the lights in and go(takes about 15 minutes to set up)weighs around 60 lbs or so. Also I have a couple of seven stars lasers..not the best but effective to say the least. Here is an old pic of my lighting setup minus the intimidators. It has run me about a grand with truss and all. Also co-pilot controller. Oh yeah...pick up a fog machine..if you are allowed to use it wherever your gig is it will definitley enhance any lighting effects at least 5, if not 10 fold. You may want to check out www.djtronix.com I had some good luck from these guys in the past as well as ebay.

i67.photobucket.com
i67.photobucket.com
i67.photobucket.com
i67.photobucket.com
i67.photobucket.com
i67.photobucket.com
i67.photobucket.com
i67.photobucket.com
i67.photobucket.com
i67.photobucket.com
Julls 3:38 AM - 16 June, 2008
Damn...RekTek came out of hiding.
DjRekTek 5:54 AM - 19 June, 2008
been here...just browsing lol
pdidy 9:12 PM - 19 June, 2008
Watchwww.youtube.com
my mobile setup=$2100 (lights only)
AMF 12:37 AM - 20 June, 2008
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

Nice setup. I just recently dropped about $1500 (or more) on a few lights, controller and stands. But I have to wait a month before I can test them out. That's when I have my next mobile gig. =P

This lighting sh*t can get expensive real quick. And I still got a couple things left to buy...
pdidy 7:15 PM - 20 June, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

Nice setup. I just recently dropped about $1500 (or more) on a few lights, controller and stands. But I have to wait a month before I can test them out. That's when I have my next mobile gig. =P

This lighting sh*t can get expensive real quick. And I still got a couple things left to buy...

thanks...........i no what u mean, i intended on spending about $1000 total but now im in for about $5000 with the new lights , controller ,cables and truss i got.
AMF 4:24 PM - 21 June, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

thanks...........i no what u mean, i intended on spending about $1000 total but now im in for about $5000 with the new lights , controller ,cables and truss i got.

I intended on spending about $1000 myself. I'll probably spend another $500 soon. That should be fine for me for now. But the $5000 sound about where my spending will be at once I'm finished.

You should check out the lighting section over at djforums.com. Some of those lighting rigs are incredible.
Julls 7:59 PM - 24 June, 2008
Stop buying DMX controller's!!!! Look into Freestyler...
Certified Quality Entertainment 10:20 PM - 24 June, 2008
lol
DJ GaFFle 1:44 PM - 25 June, 2008
Quote:

Is using one of those THAT much easier than using a DMX controller?
Julls 10:09 AM - 26 June, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Is using one of those THAT much easier than using a DMX controller?

Yes!
stevie o 8:31 PM - 29 June, 2008
This may have been answered before but can someone tell me the absolute best lights to get. I'm looking for 2 lights with many effects for a permanent install in a bar. Also is it possible to control these lights with software, not external controls. Money is no object.
any feedback is appreciated.
Julls 8:39 PM - 29 June, 2008
You can use software on any DMX fixture.
Julls 8:40 PM - 29 June, 2008
The BEST light? There are so many out there....
Dj BuddyLove 2:22 AM - 30 June, 2008
Quote:
The BEST light? There are so many out there....

+1

i just recently got 6 adj fusion scan 250ex's and they are awosmome brighter than i thought.
:)

www.americandj.com
Dj BuddyLove 2:23 AM - 30 June, 2008
oops i already mentioned them..hahaha lol
Julls 2:40 AM - 30 June, 2008
That is a nice scanner BuddyLove.
Dj BuddyLove 4:21 AM - 30 June, 2008
yup..im prob gonna get 2 more.
Julls 1:30 PM - 30 June, 2008
If I were you I would look into some LED Par Cans so that you can wash the dance floor.
Dj BuddyLove 5:10 PM - 30 June, 2008
thanks julls yep i was thinking the same thing..
i dont know if i should go with the par's (like this) right now

Watchwww.youtube.com

or if i should look into a couple of accu wash's ???
www.americandj.com

ohh btw found a youtube vid of my fusion ex's kinda..
its both these lights rolled into one nice small package..
Watchwww.youtube.com
AMF 2:35 AM - 1 July, 2008
*sigh*

Jeezus Khrist fellas.... you guys have spent on one light that I've spent on my entire lighting rig so far! Daaaaammmmmmn.

But those ADJ fusion scan ex250s sure do look tempting to get. I have 2 martin mania scx500s, but I was looking into a couple more scanners next....
stevie o 2:53 AM - 1 July, 2008
dope indeed. Do they have regular strobe? I love that shit.
Dj BuddyLove 9:37 AM - 1 July, 2008
Quote:
dope indeed. Do they have regular strobe? I love that shit.

yep!!
Dj BuddyLove 9:39 AM - 1 July, 2008
Quote:
*sigh*

Jeezus Khrist fellas.... you guys have spent on one light that I've spent on my entire lighting rig so far! Daaaaammmmmmn.

But those ADJ fusion scan ex250s sure do look tempting to get. I have 2 martin mania scx500s, but I was looking into a couple more scanners next....

hahahaha hay i dont have a bitch to spend my money on so why not my self & what i love...plus i love to impress people. (male attention whore i know :P)
DJ Dynamite - NJ 10:59 AM - 1 July, 2008
Quote:

hahahaha hay i dont have a bitch to spend my money on so why not my self & what i love...plus i love to impress people. (male attention whore i know :P)

Did you just say that you're a whore for male attention BuddyLove?
LOL
Dj BuddyLove 3:37 PM - 1 July, 2008
hahaha thats funny..
ya took that quote & flipped it on me...lol
Dj BuddyLove 3:45 PM - 1 July, 2008
guess i should have chosen my words better..lol
DJ Dynamite - NJ 4:35 PM - 1 July, 2008
I catch people like that all the time. One of my ex-GF's used to hate that...I guess that's why she's an EX...lol
FU_PAY_ME 8:51 PM - 1 July, 2008
I see everyone in here is buzzing about the ADJ fusion scans. I always thought ADJ products were considered cheap and unreliable. Are those lights the truth?

When I started out I went with Martin scanners. 2 T-rex for $250 with bags included from Gutiar Center. I wish I would have held out for some entry level intellegent lights, but the price was too good to pass up. I later got me some a pair of flood lights and a Laser. I pretty satisfied with the flood lights and the laser, but I looking to trade in my 2 Martin T-rex for a pair of scanners that I cantrol. Any suggestions?

I looking to get the Martin scx500;s but I really want the 600's. I can barely afford the Scx 500's, so the 600's is out of the question for now. Are there any good lights from other companies besides Martin that are in the price range of the scx 500's? I don't want to spend my money on something that will break or need repair.
Clay 12:52 AM - 3 July, 2008
Price has been beaten to death, anybody can win on price. It boils down to support. Which company supports their product the best? Who has parts available? Who will answer your phone call at 11pm on a Friday night if you have a question/problem with their product?

The largest concert tours and nightclubs in the world chose Martin.

You Get what you Pay For!!

Take a Martin fixture and an AMDJ fixture side by side that both use the same bulb, for sure the Martin will be BRIGHTER. It will also last longer.

Spend $70 on a Vertigo, you'll spend the difference in the year in bulbs alone. PLus it draws 600watts! (that's 1/2 an outlet dude) PLUS it uses colored glass vs dichroic colors, meaning the heat of the bulb will wear away at those colors a lot quicker. A year from now (if its still working) the colors will be nowhere near what they were like when you bought it.

Save your money, buy the Martin. You'll be glad you did.
DJ GaFFle 2:27 PM - 6 July, 2008
Quote:
Price has been beaten to death, anybody can win on price. It boils down to support. Which company supports their product the best? Who has parts available? Who will answer your phone call at 11pm on a Friday night if you have a question/problem with their product?

The largest concert tours and nightclubs in the world chose Martin.

You Get what you Pay For!!

Take a Martin fixture and an AMDJ fixture side by side that both use the same bulb, for sure the Martin will be BRIGHTER. It will also last longer.

Spend $70 on a Vertigo, you'll spend the difference in the year in bulbs alone. PLus it draws 600watts! (that's 1/2 an outlet dude) PLUS it uses colored glass vs dichroic colors, meaning the heat of the bulb will wear away at those colors a lot quicker. A year from now (if its still working) the colors will be nowhere near what they were like when you bought it.

Save your money, buy the Martin. You'll be glad you did.

Good advice...thanx!