Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Beatjump feature (quantized jump)

StemaDJ 12:06 PM - 24 November, 2012
Dear Serato,
I'd like to see in future versions a beatjump ability. I've tried it in others software and it's very useful to jump around into tracks during live sessions and to set cue point during preparation stage.
Thanks in advance and good luck!
Simon Love Carter 5:48 AM - 25 November, 2012
+1
viper9711 10:52 PM - 25 November, 2012
+1
Marv Incredible 3:08 AM - 26 November, 2012
+1 again
thephatbuddhist 8:22 AM - 26 November, 2012
+1
ivan zilch 12:26 PM - 26 November, 2012
+1 and quantized beat jump so we can do this and stay in time
David James 9:23 PM - 27 November, 2012
+1

Very useful for if you miss your cue points as well
djallstyle 2:22 AM - 28 November, 2012
+1
Bryan Stormer 2:26 PM - 28 November, 2012
+1
Jam-Master Jake 10:56 PM - 28 November, 2012
+1
sallemi 11:21 AM - 29 November, 2012
+1
DJ Dave T 9:58 AM - 30 November, 2012
+1
dj-nice 11:00 PM - 30 November, 2012
Quote:
Dear Serato,
I'd like to see in future versions a beatjump ability. I've tried it in others software and it's very useful to jump around into tracks during live sessions and to set cue point during preparation stage.

the xone had this feature in Itch
Kristian Valdini 9:46 AM - 1 December, 2012
Yep +1

Being able to skip 8/16/32bars forward on a track 'on beat' would be very handy.

...it would also save me a lot of time wasted with tiny 're-edits' on tracks where I don't like certain sections and have to chop them out manually.

I would then like to be able to 're-map' this feature to the 'Slicer' pad section (as I do not use this to the fullest) and have it would work exactly like the 'Cue' pads do, with each pad being a x2 bar length jump.

e.g. 2/4/8/16/32/64 bar jumps

K
sallemi 12:11 PM - 1 December, 2012
+ 1000 Kristian Valdini is a good idea!!! ps if you wanna, press shift & move the jog... this is a solution !!!
BleepCore 3:49 PM - 2 December, 2012
+1
David James 12:41 AM - 3 December, 2012
Quote:
Yep +1

Being able to skip 8/16/32bars forward on a track 'on beat' would be very handy.

...it would also save me a lot of time wasted with tiny 're-edits' on tracks where I don't like certain sections and have to chop them out manually.

I would then like to be able to 're-map' this feature to the 'Slicer' pad section (as I do not use this to the fullest) and have it would work exactly like the 'Cue' pads do, with each pad being a x2 bar length jump.

e.g. 2/4/8/16/32/64 bar jumps

K

This is a solution, but I haven't mastered how to accurately select only a bar or two.

Anyone know if we can midi map this particular function?
DJSK1978 6:41 PM - 11 December, 2012
+1 YES PLEASE!!!!! Very useful if you miss your cue points. This is one of the features I really miss from Ableton Live. Get something like this going and there will be no need for BRIDGE support.
Robert Hode 12:45 PM - 28 March, 2013
Absolutely a MUST implement at the soonest...
Other major software allows to skip at leisure, and not only bar by bar but also beat by beat, very useful to adjust and sync on the fly the parts of two tracks that you are going to mix into each other.
The skip mode , as used on my DDJ SX, is too inaccurate, skips only one bar at a time and doesn't provide real control of how many bars exactly you are skipping, it's almost a duplicate of the strip search.
This is one of the 2/3 features the lack of which periodically makes me turn back to other software!
Kristian Valdini 8:45 PM - 28 March, 2013
Any word from the Serato camp - is this the kind of thing on the radar or just a pipe dream?

K
Gmitt 8:29 PM - 9 April, 2013
+1 this feature is desperately needed!
Karvinda 9:18 AM - 5 September, 2013
i loved traktor for its beatjump option and i would love to see it in serato
Twinsound 9:57 PM - 13 September, 2013
+1. Essential DJ tool
Mr Wilks 11:20 PM - 13 September, 2013
+ 1 (gazillion)
Joe Fresh 7:11 AM - 14 September, 2013
+1 let's see it!
Mark Quest 8:12 AM - 14 September, 2013

You are all lazy buggers! Work, god damn you Dj's - Work!!

Quantized beatjumping.. like mixing isn't ALREADY easy enough lol ;)
Twinsound 12:46 PM - 14 September, 2013
I guess you miss the point Mark. With Beatjump you are able to shorten a track. F.e. an eight minute tracks you can shorten easy to 3 minutes, so you can mix another record in. There is more to work since you have shorter time to setup the incoming track.

If you worked with it before, then you realize it is an must to create in Serato DJ.
If you're not: ten you don't know what you are talking about
Mr Wilks 1:49 PM - 14 September, 2013
Quote:

You are all lazy buggers! Work, god damn you Dj's - Work!!

Quantized beatjumping.. like mixing isn't ALREADY easy enough lol ;)

I read this as a joke...
FabulousFrequencies 11:35 PM - 14 September, 2013
If you miss your cue point, you deserve the wreck you have coming.
Mr Wilks 12:34 AM - 15 September, 2013
As an EDM DJ with tightly synced mixes, I won't take a chance "splicing" a mix live. Ever.

I'm not the worlds best DJ but after 22 years I still wouldn't have the confidence in my timing with two tracks playing 'live' together while jumping around them using cue points. The minutest of errors is fatal and one I, and many more DJ's aren't willing to risk.

It's not really about being lazy. Its keeping things quantized when running the bridge via a launchpad and jumping around a track on beat. Us EDM DJ's like to keep things tight.

I can imagine there are a fair few DJ's that can quite happily jump about 4 cue points per song, perfectly on the beat 100% of the time during a nice transition. I'm not one, but still deserve to have this option considered.

Jumping intros while in the mix isn't lazy. Not one bit. And I certainly don't deserve a 'train wreck' for wanting to splice a track.
FabulousFrequencies 1:44 AM - 15 September, 2013
Quote:
I can imagine there are a fair few DJ's that can quite happily jump about 4 cue points per song, perfectly on the beat 100% of the time during a nice transition.

*raises hand*

That said, I get it. Everyone is at a different skill level. Some people are human metronomes and some will never be. I was blessed with timing from day 1, but we're all human and sometimes ya miss the damn button even if you're on time. So even I considered this feature, I didn't write it off as fast as my brisk response might imply. I'm just wondering at what point we ask ourselves how we expect to reach these levels of skill if 'features' put a cap on how high we can go before they takeover for us. These 'catch us if we fall' feature requests sort of baffle me. I'm far from perfect, but shit happens and every one of these features eats up resources on a program that is currently struggling with resource issues. For those reasons alone i'm going to be a '-1' voter, nothing personal. Stability and better resource management are my feature requests.

Quote:
Its keeping things quantized when running the bridge via a launchpad and jumping around a track on beat.

FWIW, if you're referring to THE bridge, that may never see the light of SDJ's day. Although I would think MIDI mapping it would at least get you access to SDJ's cue bank although i'm not sure how that works with some of the cues obviously already mapped to the certified controller. Bah..

I'm going -1 on the idea. Sorry to stir the pot.
J.J. 6:04 AM - 15 September, 2013
+1 on this.
serato.com

Also, where is SPLICE?
serato.com
DJ GrimeTime 5:36 AM - 18 September, 2013
+1
Twinsound 6:04 AM - 18 September, 2013
So, It seems to be an essential DJ tool
antwin73 2:12 PM - 7 October, 2013
+1
Twinsound 3:09 PM - 7 October, 2013
Glad we have time before a new release is coming. I really hope Serato wont let the DDJ-SX users down. Last update wasn't for us :(
Pete Input 3:12 PM - 7 October, 2013
+1
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:16 PM - 8 October, 2013
Yes please
AlekNS7 9:39 AM - 9 October, 2013
+1
4ndrw 1:15 PM - 10 October, 2013
+9000
Kristian Valdini 2:46 PM - 15 October, 2013
Any word on this Serato admins?

K
DJ_Ameeth 2:45 PM - 3 November, 2013
+ A Million!!!

Take Cues from Traktor's Beat Jump! I Know Serato Can Make This Happen:)
Kristian Valdini 2:57 PM - 7 November, 2013
I have word that it is coming... no date, but is on the radar!

K
Mr Wilks 11:39 PM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:

K

They have admitted it's coming at some point themselves. It's just holding tight now and waiting for it to drop. Hopefully won't be long now.
Mr Wilks 11:42 PM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Ignore... Wrong post as this was meant for somewhere else (I had two windows open lol).

K

They have admitted it's coming at some point themselves. It's just holding tight now and waiting for it to drop. Hopefully won't be long now.
Mr Wilks 11:42 PM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ignore... Wrong post as this was meant for somewhere else (I had two windows open lol).

K

Quote fail :(
imalsotheunknownDJ 4:02 AM - 12 November, 2013
Quote:
Dear Serato,

keeping this thread on top... beat jump and and programming multiple functions to one midi knob are the two things on the top of my list
ERIC LOFTON 8:54 AM - 11 December, 2013
I like this feature i know some might think it lazy i believe it would lead to more creativity because it would give each the ability to mix a song in his or her own way.
Djay Samm 1:09 AM - 12 February, 2014
+1
Tiger4life 10:45 AM - 12 February, 2014
+1
franklin88 8:10 PM - 9 April, 2014
+1. Seriously would love this. This is the only reason why I haven't switched from Traktor yet
Konka 10:28 PM - 9 April, 2014
Serato DJ used to be able to do this! (at least backwards). In earlier versionz

When I activated loop and the shifted the loop back using my DDJ-SX the whole loop would jump backwards INCLUDING the play needle in perfect time. Soooo awesome if you missed your loop point!!
Now it just shifts backwards and your play needle exits the loop and continues forward... Basicly useless for an on the fly feature...

Seriously serato!! BRING THAT BACK!! For the love of god!
Flavamixx 2:54 AM - 23 April, 2014
I would love this feature too
Joe Fresh 2:58 AM - 23 April, 2014
Maybe in 1.6.4, fingers crossed.
AlxRyde 7:10 AM - 23 April, 2014
The NS6's seek function has proved its use to me (prolonging a section when I forgot to loop it), but it would really be nice to have Traktor's sort of control. The NS6 can jump back a measure and only a measure, so I can prolong a loop, but I can't, for example, jump back 4 measures to re-drop a break before the breakdown hits, or fix a miscue.
i.e. if you missed a drop on the one by 1/2 beat, you can get away with pitch bending it back in and some fancy mixer work, but if you're off by 1 beat or more and you're using Serato....it'll sound good now, but you done heading for a train wreck man.
Dj Abril 2:37 AM - 3 May, 2014
+1
djclem 5:12 PM - 4 May, 2014
+1
chokidj 12:40 PM - 5 May, 2014
+1
sinesthetix 9:51 PM - 7 May, 2014
+1
nijland 9:12 PM - 8 May, 2014
The one missing function which makes me regret my purchase. Please implement asap, how hard can it be? Cheers
DJ Demolition 1:48 AM - 10 May, 2014
Quote:
[...] I would then like to be able to 're-map' this feature to the 'Slicer' pad section (as I do not use this to the fullest) and have it would work exactly like the 'Cue' pads do, with each pad being a x2 bar length jump.

+1 Great idea.
AdamWhite 5:39 PM - 20 May, 2014
+1
Dj Abril 7:54 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
[...] I would then like to be able to 're-map' this feature to the 'Slicer' pad section (as I do not use this to the fullest) and have it would work exactly like the 'Cue' pads do, with each pad being a x2 bar length jump.

+1 Great idea
Serato, Support
Matt P 8:41 PM - 20 May, 2014
Whats up Adam!
DJSK1978 8:33 PM - 8 August, 2014
Bump!
Mr Wilks 10:15 PM - 8 August, 2014
Now Flip is coming i think this needs re-visiting.

Very handy when making 'flips'.
sallemi 10:39 AM - 10 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1 Great idea

big idea!!!
Kristian Valdini 8:48 AM - 16 August, 2014
Come on Serato... lets see this come to light. With flip you have the backend tech already in place to roll this feature out :)

K
Mr Wilks 6:34 PM - 16 August, 2014
Quote:
Come on Serato... lets see this come to light. With flip you have the backend tech already in place to roll this feature out :)

K

It's kinda already there in some controllers. It's not perfect but I use a basic version on the SX.

We need to be able to define how many beats we jump and it should be available on all devices.
DJ Demolition 2:23 AM - 17 August, 2014
I agree that this would be a nice (useful) feature. But as far as using it to shorten tracks, I don't think it would benefit me there (personally). I always set up cue points for that purpose.

What would help me, is *more* cue points (as in VDJ), with numbered flags and assignable colors (as in Traktor). That way, I could set up say... blue tags for shortening tracks, reg tags for loop points, yellow tags, for actual cue points, etc. That would be great.
zoomwire 12:39 PM - 17 August, 2014
+1 I used it on traktor every time to shorten tracks. Cue points require preparation, I can't prepare every of my x000 tracks… :)
DJ Compiler 1:01 PM - 17 August, 2014
CTRL + the cue's play button on screen brings up the color pallet for assigning colors to cue points @DJ Demolition
DJ Demolition 2:23 PM - 17 August, 2014
Quote:
CTRL + the cue's play button on screen brings up the color pallet for assigning colors to cue points @DJ Demolition

Yes, I know. But without the numbered flags, changing colors from the default only makes finding the right cue even more confusing. We need more cue-points and they need to be numbered.
zoomwire 2:57 PM - 17 August, 2014
They could add 8 more cue points so easily. Especially on the ddj-sx you could use the parameter<- -> buttons to switch between them (like you switch between sp-6 banks).
DJ Compiler 3:33 PM - 17 August, 2014
+1 for cue point pages.
DJ Demolition 4:12 PM - 17 August, 2014
Yeah... Sixteen cues. I could work with that.
DJ Cyrix 9:43 AM - 21 August, 2014
+1 for actual beatjumping (even when in a loop). It's one of the most precious things I miss from using Traktor.
Djay Samm 9:18 AM - 22 August, 2014
plzzzz beatjump serato
Kristian Valdini 2:41 PM - 22 August, 2014
Regardless of cues etc, there are times when you simply want to 'move' a track along, this might be more relevant for 'house' style DJs granted, but having messed on friends Traktor, it is a fantastic feature.

seeing as this is an old thread, why don;t we add some more to the request :)

... on the flip side, you should technically be able to the same beatjumping in REVERSE, a slightly different take on looping :)

Imagine being able to jump back and forth on beat backwards as well as forwards, you could cut up vocals in amazing ways, without the need for cue points being set.

K
DJ Cyrix 4:29 PM - 22 August, 2014
Another cool use of this beatjump-feature is, when doubling a track from A to D, you skip back half a beat on track D and bam, instant beat juggling. Used to do this with my Traktor S4 al the time.
Dj Abril 10:13 AM - 6 September, 2014
+1
Entro 4:02 PM - 13 November, 2014
+1

I think I've seen this request on the forums since 2010. Traktor and Cross both have it.
DJ Demolition 4:19 PM - 13 November, 2014
Quote:
+1

I think I've seen this request on the forums since 2010. Traktor and Cross both have it.

At Serato, the wheels of progress turn very slowly.
Dj Abril 10:43 PM - 13 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
+1

At Serato, the wheels of progress turn very slowly.

Is not that the wheels is turning very slow, serato don't add a new feature for free anymore, they may already have developed this functionality, now they are just looking to find the best way to introduce a price for it, without making angry their clients, because the others djs software already have it for free of charge.😂😠 shame on serato.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 1:10 AM - 14 November, 2014
Quote:
Is not that the wheels is turning very slow, serato don't add a new feature for free anymore, they may already have developed this functionality, now they are just looking to find the best way to introduce a price for it, without making angry their clients, because the others djs software already have it for free of charge.😂😠 shame on serato.

We add new things to the core feature-set of the software frequently : Quantize Mode, MIDI output lighting, Slip Mode, Sticker Lock, AM Mode etc. Some of our bigger features we charge as Expansion Packs yes, and most of these will see continued updates for everyone who has purchased them.

Getting back to Beat Jump though - we're planning on adding this in an update and it will not be a paid expansion pack.
Mr Wilks 1:19 AM - 14 November, 2014
Being able to use it with flips would be fun and also if it was intelligent to compensate for a track structure that wasn't falling 100% correct.

If there's an extra 4 beats coming out of a breakdown and we set a new "1" on the first beat exiting the break, then the beatjump would be intelligent enough to respect that.
DJ Demolition 1:50 AM - 14 November, 2014
Quote:
now they are just looking to find the best way to introduce a price for it

Personally. I don't mind paying for it. Just give me what I want...
Entro 8:13 PM - 14 November, 2014
Quote:

Some of our bigger features we charge as Expansion Packs yes, and most of these will see continued updates for everyone who has purchased them.

Getting back to Beat Jump though - we're planning on adding this in an update and it will not be a paid expansion pack.

Thanks for your input, Logan! Glad to hear this is on the way. You mention paid updates as well. Any word on when the Pitch n' Time bug will be fixed? (Still visually redlines all the meters).
bjarkebech 4:00 PM - 9 December, 2014
Once this becomes available, what's the word on it working with current controllers like the Reloop Neon or Pioneer DDJ-SP1?

I'm considering getting either of these and having the beat jump not work would suck.
bjarkebech 4:00 PM - 9 December, 2014
Once this becomes available, what's the word on it working with current controllers like the Reloop Neon or Pioneer DDJ-SP1?

I'm considering getting either of these and having the beat jump not work would suck.
DJwhizkid 5:14 PM - 9 December, 2014
+1
Heltino 7:44 PM - 9 December, 2014
+100

if it will speed up the implementation, please charge me with 10 or 20 bugs!
I offer another 20 for an auto import feature for the collection in combination with auto analyze :-D
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 10:28 PM - 9 December, 2014
Quote:

We're working on how best to map this feature. We have some IDEAS. As always we'd love to hear what you guys think though.
bjarkebech 7:55 AM - 10 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

We're working on how best to map this feature. We have some IDEAS. As always we'd love to hear what you guys think though.

Honestly, carbon copying the Traktor S4/X1/Allen&Heath DB4 implementation would be my favourite implementation – click wheel to adjust length, LED display showing jump length.
bjarkebech 7:58 AM - 10 December, 2014
^

That would be for a new controller though – so for the existing ones I suggest using the loop length knob with shift enabled.
Riko Roos 2:25 PM - 11 December, 2014
My suggestion, assuming we are talking about 'performace pad' based controllers':

- when in hot cue mode: use the parameter buttons as they are out of funktion here. /2 and *2 alters the jump size and shift+parameter always jumps 1 beat.
- when in loop mode: same as above but now it acts as a 'move loop' and the size is equal the loop length.
- beat jump not available in other modes
DJwhizkid 5:41 PM - 11 December, 2014
I have an idea on hot to implement it.
Use the loop length panel on the current GUI to set the length of the beat jump, but to use a different color for the border square - lets say red (wheres the loop length is a blue square).
Set the length through the param knob - like Riko said . So as you turn the param knob the red square appears in the loop length GUI.
When length is set press on the param knob to jump forward and press shift + param knob to jump backwards.
DJ Demolition 5:51 PM - 11 December, 2014
Not all controllers have a perimeter knob.
dizzyrocks2001 7:27 PM - 11 December, 2014
Quote:
Not all controllers have a perimeter knob.

*parameter
Mr Wilks 8:38 PM - 11 December, 2014
I think most (not all) controllers made in the last three years have either the parameter knob or buttons.

With more features coming it will become harder to add to older controllers that have no spare buttons without buying a £30 add-on MIDI pad like the LPD8 etc. It's going to be unavoidable unless they let us MIDI map our controllers (I can't wait for that day.... "hello AMX!").

I think I'll get the Launchpads out!
DJ Demolition 10:05 PM - 11 December, 2014
Quote:
*parameter

* spell check...
Jimi_Hoffa 8:03 AM - 12 December, 2014
+1
DJwhizkid 10:36 AM - 12 December, 2014
Quote:

Can you tell us what are your ideas?
DJ Demolition 5:24 PM - 12 December, 2014
On my Traktor/Stanton SCS-1d system, I can just push a button, and move the record at 10x to the point I want to be. Quantize makes certain that I'm on the beat. I release the button and bam, I'm there. That's a pretty handy way of doing it. Of course Traktor also has Quantized jump...
DJwhizkid 6:50 PM - 12 December, 2014
Quantize jump must be implemented in serato soon. can make many processes much more efficient.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 10:48 PM - 14 December, 2014
Quote:
Can you tell us what are your ideas?

For the performance mode controllers we're looking at having it work when in the Auto Loop mode, and for controllers like the SX/SZ (which don't have an Auto Loop mode) we can replace the 'Loop Shift' parameter functions with 'Beat Jump'.
prandawg 11:50 PM - 14 December, 2014
+1
DJwhizkid 12:10 AM - 15 December, 2014
The auto loop mode sounds nice for that function, yet what are the options you came up with for engaging it? Setting values? select between forward/backward jump? Do you have anything to share with us? :)

BTW when i think about it the hot cues mode may be better cause than it will be very convenience to set up a hotcue and jump from it without changing modes…
DJwhizkid 12:57 PM - 15 December, 2014
Maybe this method can help us with mapping the beatjump - serato.com
J.J. 6:26 PM - 15 December, 2014
For NS7ii users, can you make the Adjust and Slip functions for Beat-Jump Back and Forward? I use the mousepad and keyboard to adjust the Beat Grid, so I never use the Adjust and Slip buttons. Plus, it makes sense because it's right next to TAP and Strip Search. I don't like to hold down a SHIFT button for Beat-Jumping a track. Shift + Rotating the platter for Beat-Jump is very inaccurate, especially when the track is playing.

Or....... allow users to change the default mapping. Similar to Scratch Live before 2.0. If you had a custom mapping, it would override the default mapping.
DJ Demolition 11:12 PM - 15 December, 2014
Quote:
Shift + Rotating the platter for Beat-Jump is very inaccurate, especially when the track is playing.

Works great as mapped on my Traktor setup. Doesn't sound like you're skipping though the track, like regular Quantized jump. When you let the button go ...Bam! you're there.

Quote:
Or....... allow users to change the default mapping. Similar to Scratch Live before 2.0. If you had a custom mapping, it would override the default mapping.

Amen to that.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 12:14 AM - 16 December, 2014
Quote:
The auto loop mode sounds nice for that function, yet what are the options you came up with for engaging it? Setting values? select between forward/backward jump? Do you have anything to share with us? :)

The bottom row will be beat jump controls if Beat Jump is enabled in Setup screen : [Jump Left] [Value Left] [Value Right] [Jump Right].

Quote:
For NS7ii users, can you make the Adjust and Slip functions for Beat-Jump Back and Forward?

Nah that wouldn't be the best idea, other users may use these features frequently and it would break the silkscreen.

Quote:

You may very well see this one day ;)
DJ Compiler 1:12 AM - 16 December, 2014
Then what might the top row of buttons be used for Logan ;)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:20 AM - 16 December, 2014
Autoloops! You'd just be losing the bottom row for Beat Jump when enabled.
DJ Compiler 4:21 AM - 16 December, 2014
Oh ok. Didn't know if maybe you guys had an additional feature planned to occupy that row that was still under wraps.
Heltino 10:36 PM - 16 December, 2014
Quote:
For NS7ii users, can you make the Adjust and Slip functions for Beat-Jump Back and Forward? I use the mousepad and keyboard to adjust the Beat Grid, so I never use the Adjust and Slip buttons. Plus, it makes sense because it's right next to TAP and Strip Search. I don't like to hold down a SHIFT button for Beat-Jumping a track. Shift + Rotating the platter for Beat-Jump is very inaccurate, especially when the track is playing.

might be the case that YOU don´t use this. I do it nearly permanently as I like much more to adjust the grids in detail with the controller as with the keyboard in this ugly offline mode.

In my point of view it would be the worst case scenario to sacrifice these buttons for that.

parameter buttons at the pads are much less used I would say. here will be as well guys that complains, but would be a smarter choice.
as well from the point of usability. where are the slide and adjust buttons?
for sure not at a place where you would like to have the beat jump :)
J.J. 8:32 PM - 17 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

The bottom row will be beat jump controls if Beat Jump is enabled in Setup screen : [Jump Left] [Value Left] [Value Right] [Jump Right].

I constantly use the 2, 4 and 8 bar loop on the bottom row. On a 8 Pad controller, can you have the top row 1/2 Bar Loop, 1 Bar Loop, 2 Bar Loop and 4 Bar Loop? The current top row for loops is too short of a loop to have time to X2. The top row is perfect value for Loop Rolls. Can you also at Beat Jump function to Loop Rolls?

What is Value Left/Right? Are you using the whole bottom row? I would prefer using only the bottom 2 right Pads (7 and 8) to Beat Jump.

Beat Jump Setup Screen www.poweronplay.com

Quote:
Quote:

You may very well see this one day ;)

:) Very COOL! Can you tell us a timeframe?
J.J. 8:34 PM - 17 December, 2014
*Edit*
Can you also add Beat Jump function to Loop Rolls?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 12:47 AM - 18 December, 2014
Quote:
I constantly use the 2, 4 and 8 bar loop on the bottom row. On a 8 Pad controller, can you have the top row 1/2 Bar Loop, 1 Bar Loop, 2 Bar Loop and 4 Bar Loop? The current top row for loops is too short of a loop to have time to X2.

I'm a little confused about what you're talking about here but you'll be able to have any range mapped to the top four pads i.e you can have 1/2/4/8.

Quote:
The top row is perfect value for Loop Rolls. Can you also add Beat Jump function to Loop Rolls?

As above, you'll be able to set the top row to larger values (as there won't be any 'bottom row' of pads to map to). Do you mean that you want the beat jump controls to also be mapped to the bottom row in Loop Roll mode?

Quote:
What is Value Left/Right? Are you using the whole bottom row? I would prefer using only the bottom 2 right Pads (7 and 8) to Beat Jump.

Value left/right just means changing the size of the Beat Jump. Many users will want/need to change this on the fly rather than setting it once and leaving it.

Quote:
Beat Jump Setup Screen www.poweronplay.com

As above we think Beat Jump is something people will likely want to change on the fly rather than having to go to the Setup screen mid-set.

Quote:
:) Very COOL! Can you tell us a timeframe?

Nope :P
J.J. 6:44 AM - 18 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
I constantly use the 2, 4 and 8 bar loop on the bottom row. On a 8 Pad controller, can you have the top row 1/2 Bar Loop, 1 Bar Loop, 2 Bar Loop and 4 Bar Loop? The current top row for loops is too short of a loop to have time to X2.

I'm a little confused about what you're talking about here but you'll be able to have any range mapped to the top four pads i.e you can have 1/2/4/8.

Are you serious. Phenomenal! Bravo to you Logan and the whole Serato Crew! You have to excuse my excitement, I'm still not over SPLICE aka FLIP.

Quote:
Quote:
The top row is perfect value for Loop Rolls. Can you also add Beat Jump function to Loop Rolls?

As above, you'll be able to set the top row to larger values (as there won't be any 'bottom row' of pads to map to). Do you mean that you want the beat jump controls to also be mapped to the bottom row in Loop Roll mode?

Yup. I also want Beat Jump controls in Loop Roll mode while range mapping the top four pads. Please make it happen.

Quote:
Value left/right just means changing the size of the Beat Jump. Many users will want/need to change this on the fly rather than setting it once and leaving it.

I prefer this method.

All we need left is a new paid plug-in to replace the BRIDGE. 64 sample remix deck that scratches forward and backwards without Ableton running in the background. Recording .als for separate tracks like SSL would still be nice. Also, what ever happened to LiveFeed? That was some next generation stuff. serato.com
X-ACT0 2:42 AM - 23 December, 2014
+1
iernei 6:14 PM - 23 December, 2014
+1

I'd like it to be implemented so that when I move the loop size I also move the beat jump size (they are the same size and I don't need a second encoder). This could be an option in preferences named something like "loop size and beat jump size are the same". That way older controlers will be able to use this function, but on the other hand new controlers and older controlers with spare buttons (shift+) can control beat jump size seperate from loop size with aforementioned option set off in preferences.
And please make it midi mappable, so I can map actual beat jump to buttons on my LPD 8.

ps.: I've written the above part first and now I see you're going to implement it in auto loop mode for performance mode controllers. My Reloop TM8 doesn't have auto loop mode. It has auto loop encoder which doubles as effect parameter with shift and as loop roll when pushed. But I would gladly give up manual loop mode for beat jump.
Anyway, I can still midi map it to lpd8 IF you make it mappable.
zoomwire 3:11 PM - 24 December, 2014
If you add beat jump, please also add behavior that if you press a position on the waveform it jumps in sync/quantization to the position.
music man 3:24 PM - 27 December, 2014
+1
djchrisL 11:46 PM - 27 December, 2014
+1
DJwhizkid 1:47 PM - 5 January, 2015
Bump
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:38 AM - 6 January, 2015
Quote:
If you add beat jump, please also add behavior that if you press a position on the waveform it jumps in sync/quantization to the position.

That would be awesome and we can look into that but it's technically a different feature.
Mr Wilks 4:03 AM - 6 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

That would be awesome and we can look into that but it's technically a different feature.

I'll be honest and confess that I've found that quite handy in Traktor on occasions.
DJ Demolition 4:06 AM - 6 January, 2015
Quote:
I'll be honest and confess that I've found that quite handy in Traktor on occasions.

Ditto. Should be standard.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 4:18 AM - 6 January, 2015
Yeah for sure it's super handy.
J.J. 11:50 PM - 6 January, 2015
Quote:

I've always liked this feature in Traktor. It is now standard in Virtual DJ 8.

+1
Heltino 8:00 PM - 9 January, 2015
this feature is a must have at all.
first it is just state of the art, second....think about...in combination with Serato FLIP you could.... :)
DER_FICH 9:11 PM - 9 January, 2015
+1
BamBouBüs 10:31 PM - 21 February, 2015
only one question left - when do you think it´ll be available ? :D cant wait for it :)
Dj Ricky Redz 9:02 AM - 22 February, 2015
+1
Poizen 87 10:03 PM - 26 February, 2015
Easily the thing I missed most by switching from my Traktor S4 setup to the DDJ SX2
DJ Compiler 11:37 PM - 26 February, 2015
Its coming in the beta next week serato.com
Poizen 87 11:49 PM - 26 February, 2015
This is great news. Will the DDJ SX2 mapping be updated to accomodate, or is that on Pioneer's side?
DJ Compiler 12:10 AM - 27 February, 2015
I don't know for sure. I would think Serato has found a way to map it to most controllers. Otherwise the beta wouldn't be a very good test of the software. So my educated guess would be that you don't need to update the firmware but I could be wrong.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 12:45 AM - 27 February, 2015
We have mapped Beat Jump to a large number of hardware, SX2 included.
BamBouBüs 10:45 AM - 27 February, 2015
Thank you guys, you´ve made my day ! aaaawesome news, aaaawesome work and aaaawesome support :) :D
Entro 5:19 PM - 27 February, 2015
Fantastic! Looking forward to trying this out...
deejdave 11:19 PM - 2 March, 2015
Enjoy the Beat Jump serato.com
Konvurt 3:52 AM - 3 March, 2015
Love it so far! On the DDJ-SX2 would love to be able to fast enable/disable it in the UI by holding the "ROLL" button in the same way one holds it for quantize!
DJ Demolition 5:12 AM - 3 March, 2015
What is the download link? I've been to the forum page, and I can't find it there.
DJ Demolition 5:14 AM - 3 March, 2015
Nevermind. I found it.
Dj Abril 10:18 AM - 3 March, 2015
How do i beat jump with DDJ-SP1?
I am a turntable Dj with pioneer DDJ-SP1 and i want to take the advanced of a beat jump functionality too, therefore how do i do it with the DDJ-SP1?
Or beat jump has been developed only for a Midi Controllers DJs?
Serato, Support
Karl Y 10:22 AM - 3 March, 2015
enable it in the setup, then the bottom row of the performance pads become beat jump controls in Roll Mode

bottom pads are now
jump left, size decrement, size increment, jump right
Dj Abril 11:42 AM - 3 March, 2015
Very usefull, thanks.
My Macbook Pro cannot handle, SDJ 1.7.4, i have got audio cuts all the time and the CPU are also on red all the time.

MacBook Pro 15-0nch
Processor 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.
Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics Nvidia GeForce 9400M 256 MB.
Storage 240 SSD
Serato, Support
Matt P 3:42 PM - 3 March, 2015
Dj Abril,

try raising your buffer size to 5ms if its not already

Matt p
maarawoe 4:05 PM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:
Dj Abril,

try raising your buffer size to 5ms if its not already

Matt p

I just submitted a bug report in 1.7.4 beta forum - on 1.7.3 I was using 2ms without any issue but on 1.7.4, I can get to the 5ms at lowest...
But this is quite irrelevant to the Beat Jump feature request... ;-)
djcrap 9:14 PM - 3 March, 2015
Konix is the man

Watchm.youtube.com
Cwite 7:31 AM - 4 March, 2015
Hey guys. I'm using an SZ. Is any one else thrown by the change to roll loop because of beat jump?

I do love beat jump, but not at the expense of roll loops current functionality.

With the new system, going from a short roll loop (say 1/4) to an extended loop (16 or 32) and back again is such a time consuming process.

Roll loops are usually a reflex addition to a song for me (as I'm sure they are for many people) and if the beat jump control format remains as it is, this is no longer the case. My work flow with this has gone to bits.

A couple of suggestions. If things stay the way they are now, then ideally you would have a 3rd beat selection option. One for beat jump. One for roll loop and one for auto loop. To be honest. I don't think Auto loop and roll loop should have been linked anyway, even without beat jump attached.

Also like Konvurt suggested. Separating the controls with an additional press or hold of the roll loop selection button to activate the function like you do for flip or quantize instead would be much better.
Or, in roll loop mode use shift + parameter to adjust jump length and the loop shift control to activate the jump. This would free up roll loop again.

The way it's mapped now, as much as I do love the beat jump (and I do!!!!), I would only activate the option from the menu when I needed it. And by that point the moment of seamlessly using it may have passed by.

Sorry it's an essay. It just needs a little more thought at the moment. :)
wadup 1:30 PM - 4 March, 2015
Another alternative is to midi map beat jump to another midi device......
Entro 1:45 PM - 4 March, 2015
Quote:
Another alternative is to midi map beat jump to another midi device......

Or, you know, have the ability to remap native controllers...
Konvurt 2:22 PM - 4 March, 2015
This is why I suggested a press + hold of the "ROLL" pad functionality selector button to activate/deactivate Beat Jump, kind of in the same way that holding "HOT CUE" turns Quantize on and off. Anyone else think this would be useful?
Mr Wilks 3:39 PM - 4 March, 2015
I think shift + roll on the Pio controllers does saved loops. I need to check but think so.
Cwite 7:14 PM - 4 March, 2015
Quote:
I think shift + roll on the Pio controllers does saved loops. I need to check but think so.

It does. But we are talking about having a second layer to a normal press. Like you do to activate flip or quantize with the hot cues button.
Mr Wilks 8:31 PM - 4 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

It does. But we are talking about having a second layer to a normal press. Like you do to activate flip or quantize with the hot cues button.

My bad. My eyes put the word "shift" in there for some reason. I re-read it and even then I added shift to that sentence!
Name already taken 6:38 PM - 13 March, 2015
I also think this is a good feature