DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Qsc K12 vs Yamaha Dsr 115 ?

DJ.Tyme 1:04 AM - 20 November, 2012
this is my dilemma i currently dj with Yamaha dsr 115. i love em but its getting real tired sum lugging around two 15's and my heavy ns7. so ive been on the fence about buying some 12's ? 1st i was looking at the yamaha dsr 112's since im very happy with my yamaha 15's but reading user reviews online im thinking about the qsc k12's ? please fellow dj's give me advice from those of ya who own these and or have heard them thanx DJ Tyme
Dj Shamann 1:39 AM - 20 November, 2012
I picked up a couple of K12s recently on a sweet deal (otherwise I probably wouldn't have), definitely one of the lighter speakers I've encountered. They sound good too, I'm a JBL fan so I was skeptical but I'm happy with the performance, my other DJs and a few customers have mentioned how clear they sound (compared to other sets we've used)

I've only used them a few times, but I did bring them out once to a friends bar with no sub once (small crowd) and they still did the trick. The thing I've heard though is that deep mode will kick the limiter in real fast, something to keep in my mind if you regularly gig without subs (I use subs almost always so I haven't experienced this issue yet)
djvtyme85 4:54 AM - 20 November, 2012
Good to know. I plan on retiring my jbl g2 10s for a pair of k12 for the same application (small crowds small room situations) if all is well ill invest in the matching subs.
skinnyguy 5:41 AM - 20 November, 2012
i'd go with the yamaha. i was very pleased with their sound when i heard them. if i remember right, they're also cheaper than the qsc.
DJ.Tyme 8:05 AM - 20 November, 2012
hum thanx ? im still on the fence
dj_soo 8:54 AM - 20 November, 2012
I love my k12s - great highs and mids but the lows are a little weak - wouldn't use them without subs unless its a < 100 party and even then, it'll be lacking in low end...
DJ.Tyme 4:17 PM - 20 November, 2012
thanx dj_soo good to know. i dont use subs now with my 15's and didnt really want to buy subs now. i mainly do weddings & school dances. so my 15's been great. im just tired of lugging them around and was trying to downsize my load ? damm im still on the fence
DJDBAG 4:43 PM - 20 November, 2012
k12s have always worked for me, ive djed big small rooms with them, even took one to the atrium of the wells fargo center (where the flyers and sixers play) and it did the trick just fine

pair them with a k sub and boom instant party
SG SOUNDS 11:46 PM - 20 November, 2012
Get the DXR12 the Dxr series sound amazing for dj play back while the dsr series is more suited for live play back..theres alot of AB comparisons of the dxr12 and the k12 (google it) and all the comparisons have the dxr12 on top...The DXR15 sounds even more amazing and sounds like your using subs when the processing swicth is turned on on the back plus its much lighter than your DSR15...
JDforKing 12:04 AM - 21 November, 2012
Quote:
Get the DXR12 the Dxr series sound amazing for dj play back while the dsr series is more suited for live play back..theres alot of AB comparisons of the dxr12 and the k12 (google it) and all the comparisons have the dxr12 on top...The DXR15 sounds even more amazing and sounds like your using subs when the processing swicth is turned on on the back plus its much lighter than your DSR15...

+1, i have a pair of dxr15 and love them.
DJ.Tyme 3:07 AM - 21 November, 2012
Thanx for the info riddimnbues
DJ.Tyme 3:14 AM - 21 November, 2012
@ jdforking so the new series yamahas dxr15 are better than dsr huh? So my fellow dj's if i get 12's i dont want to add subs im always hella booked with mobile gigs so im ttying to lighten my load will the k12's and or dsr12's or dxr12 work kool without subs. I mostly do wedings and school dances
sacrilicious 3:20 AM - 21 November, 2012
There's a new model of JBLs that weigh less (only 35 vs 41lb each) and are slightly louder (133 vs 131db) but I haven't heard them to compare.

Check the AGI Pro DJ's video comparison. They look at an EV in the same review.
dj_soo 7:31 AM - 24 November, 2012
Quote:
thanx dj_soo good to know. i dont use subs now with my 15's and didnt really want to buy subs now. i mainly do weddings & school dances. so my 15's been great. im just tired of lugging them around and was trying to downsize my load ? damm im still on the fence

I think for most weddings/corporates where you don't necessarily need club-style lows it's fine... but if you want that oomph, subs are essential. I pair my K12s with a pair of 15" subs and it works nicely for up to 300 people for a wedding style event. If I'm doing a proper dance party though, I'll rent an 18" sub...
JDforKing 2:58 PM - 24 November, 2012
I don't think the yamaha dxr15s are better than the yamaha dsr115s, but they are lighter and very good speakers for the price.
DJ.Tyme 9:06 PM - 24 November, 2012
thanx all 4 your relpys
Asu 9:04 PM - 19 January, 2013
Hope it's not too late...get the DXR 15 if you don't wanna use subs,no debate on this...get DXR 12 if you have a Sub...DXR is way better than DSR series...the amps and processing are totally different...DXR uses 48BIT processing...beats even the QSC K12 in sound quality and bottom end.

Don't take my word for it...just AB then and you'll agree with me :-)
dj_soo 1:08 AM - 20 January, 2013
I'm actually wondering about the DXR 10s right now... tested them at the shop and they sound good - pretty decent range for a 10"

I've never heard the K10s tho...
DJ.Tyme 4:25 AM - 20 January, 2013
kool thanx for all the input. so for now im starying with my Dsr 115's because of no $ to buy other speakers right now. and going to 12's i'll have to lug around subs which = more $ :-(
DJ Tracktion 7:28 AM - 20 January, 2013
If you already have the dsr 15's...then stick with the dsr's when you get 12's.

When/if you have a real big event you can use all 4 speakers and it will be a uniform look.

Also, for smaller events you can get away with just the 12's and no sub...
Dj Edinburgh 2:06 AM - 11 October, 2014
I have had K12s and did not like them. Truely, as someone said, lack bottom end, at typical type gigs. I recently bought the DSR 12s and although a nice clear sound, they did lack full range too but better than the K12s.., the 15s you have I now have and although not as good as my Nexo PS10 rig, they do do well In all aspects so far. Gigged tonight with 150 easily not touching the sides. Stick with what you have.... It's worth the slog... Cheers... www.djedinburgh.co.uk
dj_soo 4:25 AM - 12 October, 2014
Quote:
I have had K12s and did not like them. Truely, as someone said, lack bottom end, at typical type gigs. I recently bought the DSR 12s and although a nice clear sound, they did lack full range too but better than the K12s.., the 15s you have I now have and although not as good as my Nexo PS10 rig, they do do well In all aspects so far. Gigged tonight with 150 easily not touching the sides. Stick with what you have.... It's worth the slog... Cheers... www.djedinburgh.co.uk

Most small size 12" cabinets simply will not give you the low end you'd want. The larger size ones like the kw122, etx12p, Yorkville psp12 and the like will be better in full range, but nothing beats a dedicated sub...
RussD 11:41 PM - 25 November, 2014
I've read everything I could about dxr15's vs everything else and now they'll be here tomorrow. Without a sub... House and techno records for a few hundred is the plan- I have faith :)
Joee 2:52 AM - 26 November, 2014
Quote:
a few hundred is the plan

if this means 100 to 150 people you will be ok, if it means 400 people your in trouble without subs

that said this is one of the better speakers you can get that give you nice bass without a sub
RussD 10:11 AM - 26 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
a few hundred is the plan

if this means 100 to 150 people you will be ok, if it means 400 people your in trouble without subs

that said this is one of the better speakers you can get that give you nice bass without a sub

Yes, I should clarify that: A few hundred in the party space, but a small concentrated dance floor of 100-150 or so pumped by the dxr15's. A couple of smaller 10's or 12 on the peripheries of the dance floor (supplied by another DJ), and if I need a sub to increase the chest whack then I'll rent one. Gonna try it first without a sub to test the capabilities.
I am only going on specs and reviews.. and am particularly interested in the reputed clarity and smoothness in all frequencies of the dxr15's at high spl's, which is what I based my purchase choice on. And the option to transport without a big sub, of course.
In the case of a bigger party the rig can grow via rentals, and smaller parties should be just fine with only a pair of dxr15's.
Having said all that though I haven't tried them yet, but my hopes are high!
Reviews all about the net have been favourable and helpful: I considered QSCK12, RCF712, JBLPRX712, and EV ELX112p. Also a LD Systems DAVE G3- as I also DJ smaller house parties, etc.
I didn't have the time or an easy listening option to test in real life, but I really got the idea that these DXR15's could offer me a flexible solution and great price/ performance.
Will happily report back once the seal is broken. Funnily enough they just arrived!
Not gonna do an opening video, but I can tell you right now they look great- big but very handsome.
I have heard people complain about the finish being prone to markings and scratches. Couldn't really say right now. It is dark grey/black matt chalky plastic, finger prints seem to appear and fade quickly. Very tough sturdy grill. Am not too concerned for there safety as these bad boys will be high on sticks with a tilt (no drinks) and transported in covers. I nurse my gear anyway.
Hope these impressions are worthwhile to someone.
:)
RussD 10:14 AM - 26 November, 2014
Sorry, I meant 'their' not 'there'- for any spelling freaks! :)
Al Poulin 10:53 PM - 26 November, 2014
I think you may be expecting too much from a single pair of 15s. I love my DXR15s and they are excellent performers that sound excellent all the way up to limit, but there is only so much that any pair of single 15s can do without sub support. What I'm afraid you may end up doing is turning up the low frequencies to get that deep/full sound that is tough to get with any tops once up on stands and you may end up gobbling up your headrom very quickly and make your woofers work overtime.

I would recommend that when you try the tops alone, you do NOT boost the lows on your EQ/mixer channels, but instead simply engage the FOH setting on the back of the cabs that does sprovide a bass boost, but an intentional and controlled one. I often use my DXR15s stand alone, but mostly for small weddings of 100-150 people or so and playing a mix of country, top 40, rock and the occasional polka. For this type of application, the DXR15s are exceptional. For house and techno, I'm not sure the results will be satisfactory to be honest. One thing you can do to improve low frequency response of the system is to have one of the tops stand mounted (horn over people's heads) and the other one on the floor directly Under the stand mounted one (betwee nthe stand legs). What this does, it that the bottom speaker couples to the floor - noticeably improving low frequencies. I do this once in a while and it works well..

Al
RussD 11:24 PM - 26 November, 2014
Thanks Al, good idea abut keeping some bass on the floor. Will def try that! If I'm in need of a sub then for sure I'll use one in the future. But when considering these or a new pair of 12's I still am happy with the option to not always have to lug a sub- it wouldn't fit in the car anyway, as I would surely need with any 12's. Also, I have to admit that the open box deal I got on the 15's was cheaper than the dxr12's aswell, so it was a done deal. Thanks for the input- I read some of your reviews and comments before.
Al Poulin 2:40 AM - 27 November, 2014
The DXR15s will certainly do better than most 12s in offering a full sound up to high levels. I've been using my DXR15s for a little over 2 years now and they've been wonderful. My only issue has always been the finish - so yes, covers recommended even if you baby your gear like I do. :-) Enjoy your new speakers!

Al
djvtyme85 4:31 AM - 27 November, 2014
in a pinch when i was able to transport subs due to vehicle size i used two 10" tops mounted high and put 15"s on the floor. this worked out great in a small school lunchroom. estimated 100-125 ppl. but as stated before there is but so much your tops can do stand alone so understand any speakers limitations. btw i used two eon g2 10s and jbl prx 715s in that senerio
djvtyme85 4:31 AM - 27 November, 2014
wasn't able to*

serato we really need a edit option for posts lol
RussD 11:01 AM - 27 November, 2014
mmm... you have me wondering if I would have been better off getting 10's or 12's and also subs- since I may end up ultimately carting subs along down the track. After all, it is definitely bass response that I am after. In the smallest realistic package.
I really want to keep a good sound quality, budget is average- happy to invest in the best long term choice.
At the risk of sounding flippant it is not too late for me to return the 15's.
Can 10's or 12's really push out enough pressure in the tops (with subs below) to satisfy the volume needs of 100-150 dancing people?
Does anyone have recommendations for a sub to match the dxr15's for vinyl play of house and techno? Would it be the yamaha subs, or another good option?
Just thinking ahead now.....
Would value any more opinions.
Hope I am not stealing someones thread here. Am new to posting.
Many thanks
dj_soo 11:17 AM - 27 November, 2014
if you want good bass, use subs. If you want ok - adequate bass go 15s.

The DXR10s with a good ratio of subs can easily handle 100-150 people dancing. I've done parties of 200 with my DXR10s in high pass and 4 15" yorkvilles. Sounded great, loud and punchy, with music you can feel.

When you have good bass, you can actually turn down the music because subs allow you to feel the music more than without and gives the illusion of higher volume.

Most 15s (especially in the price range you're looking at) with subs will not sound better than 12s or even 10s with subs simply because the larger woofer can actually lead to more muddiness.
RussD 11:33 AM - 27 November, 2014
Thanks dj-soo, I really appreciate your advice. I had thought I could skimp on a sub with the 15's and save a dollar- but your thoughts are very helpful. Cheers!
RussD 12:46 PM - 27 November, 2014
I have just been cranking these bad boys in my apartment (sorry sleeping babies!) and they really do sound wonderful at the levels I got to. Smooth and textured with a good thump. Using vinyls and Xone 32 mixer.
Of course it was just me in here :)
I paid just a little over the price of the 12's (open box) so am thinking that i'll keep them and just add a sub later. And enjoy the bargain for flexibility alone- can play indoors, outdoors, big and small.
Will worry about the transportability when the time comes. Not such a big deal- only going locally.
If I can pick your brains a little more- are the yamaha subs the best choice or are there other worthy contenders to match these dxr15's? I really don't want to buy twice!
Thanks for the help and time and tolerance of ignorant questions !
Al Poulin 1:34 PM - 27 November, 2014
A nice priced tops and subs combo that would last you a while would be a pair of DBR12 tops over a pair of DXS12 subs. The good thing about this combo is that the DBR12 tops can be used stand alone for smaller gigs as they have a surprisingly full sound. They are also only 34lbs and retail at 499$ a piece. Here is a review I did on them a few weeks ago :

Watchwww.youtube.com

Al
DJ.Tyme 7:34 PM - 27 November, 2014
<<<<<< Hey RussD>>>>>> just my 2 cents. i'm also 100% yammys :-) i have a pair of Yamaha DSR 115's & a pair of DSR 112's. i'm a mobile DJ and do 90% weddings & the other 10% school dances, pool parties & small backyard functions. i take out the big boyz (15's) for bigger halls & everything else the DSR 112's. i don't own any subs. ive been thinking about buying some (BUT) i've been DJing so many gigs without subs & i always get compliments on how good my music sounds..... plus i have no more room in my Chevy s-10 Blazer to fit subs & nope getting a trailer is out of the Question :-)
RussD 8:47 PM - 27 November, 2014
Hey djTyme, thanks for the replies and opinions.
I think I am going to really like these dxr15's, and down the line will get a sub for some extra thump, or rent until then. Trying these guys at a small party without sub this weekend and can't wait !
dj_soo 11:11 PM - 27 November, 2014
For most applications for small parties, 15s are usually enough.

But considering you play techno and house, a sub or two with smaller tops will sound much better.

Keep in mind that since the tops will be raised, you lose a considerable amount of bass "feel" the farther away from the speakers you are. Because subs generally couple with the ground, you get more volume and more coverage depending on your placement.
RussD 11:43 PM - 27 November, 2014
Hi dj-soo, why are you doing this to me?? No, only joking. Thanks man. Would you suggest 12's or 10's then, if I were to start again with one sub to begin with. And another later.
I can still consider sending the 15's back.
I'm getting the idea that this smaller modular system might be the flexibility I am after- if I have sub/s.
All I really want is to have a high quality detailed sound, with good bass- for a house/ techno dance floor at private parties. Actually dancing in front of the DJ not more than 150 max. I don't dig swampy walls of sound, I like tight low confident punch, and resonant sparkly detail in highs and mids. I want the mids to fly out and linger all around the place. And the bass to surround me!
I had thought that if I got the 15's then even if I added a sub they would still offer me the glory I am after in the higher frequencies. But I understand that you feel the quality of tops would be better coming from something smaller, i.e. 10 or 12's.
Lastly, am I close in thinking the 15's would be well suited to the outdoors, or am I just making this up now?
Appreciate your time!
djvtyme85 2:04 AM - 28 November, 2014
it's always good to own 2 15" tops if you do a lot of 75-100 events in smaller reception halls. in the future i'd suggest looking into 10-12" tops and some decemt subs for those occassions you'll do larger events. basically in this business your gonna end up needing multiple setups. starting how you are is the best overall solution and down the road keep investing so you'll be very flexible. as well, you open yourself up to doing sound for others on nights you may be off etc.
RussD 6:52 PM - 28 November, 2014
that's sound advice djvtyme85. I think I have covered some bases with this simple solution of two 15's.... for now anyways, as upgrading, swapping, downsizing, etc... it never stops.
The comments have been very helpful, not just to make a choice-as I already bought these dxr15's.. but to help me understand what I have got, and the applications and limitations.
Many thanks everyone for sharing.
Just thought i might add something about the sound quality of these guys, something which is often not mentioned:
Yesterday I tried them out (at home) with an Allen & Heath Xone 32 mixer, which has seen better days but still puts out top sound. The xone series of mixers are considered Gods choice amongst techno/ club DJ's. In Europe at least.
The sound really was tight and punchy, buttery, throbbing, defined, and within seconds I had rated it highly, relieved and happy. It is said that humans have summed up another within seconds of sighting/ hearing them, and it may be true, in a way, with speakers!
Anyways, today I have been using an Ecler Nuo mixer, also known for good quality but sitting beneath the Xones by reputation. They are Spanish designed, well built, but nowhere near as popular as A&H.
Well, the sound from the Ecler (at least this Ecler) was far from great- actually without any great values at all. Muddled, fatiguing, doesn't keep pace- like average consumer hifi.
I had considered taking the little Ecler out tomorrow, but won't do that now.
Might be interesting to some people to remember that mixers all have different sound qualities by themselves, and they are responsible for a large part of processing before the signal comes out the speaker. Must say it is nice to use active speakers as they are already matched with the amp, but a DJ mixer will affect the sound at an earlier stage.
djattila 5:45 PM - 29 November, 2014
U need a Rane
dj_soo 3:52 AM - 30 November, 2014
I think it kind of depends on your intended use. 15" tops on their own are ok for more general mobile uses like wedding receptions or small corporate parties - acceptable for smaller gigs where heavy bass is not necessarily a requirement.

For proper dance crowds and fans of electronic music, I think two 12s and a sub or two or even two 10s and 1-2 subs will give you a much more balanced system more suitable for that kind of music and those types of crowds.
Dj AR1 6:58 AM - 30 November, 2014
Quote:
I love my k12s - great highs and mids but the lows are a little weak - wouldn't use them without subs unless its a < 100 party and even then, it'll be lacking in low end...

same opinion here. with a sub their sound is freaking awesome.
dj_soo 7:01 AM - 30 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

same opinion here. with a sub their sound is freaking awesome.

2 years later, Yamaha DXRs sound better imo.
RussD 8:26 PM - 2 December, 2014
ok, well I had a chance to put out some volume with the dxr15's. Just straight out of my mixer (Ecler Nuo). I had it about half way on the mixer section of the speaker and half way on my DJ mixer- and it was loud. I was without stands (as they are currently lost in the post) so they were sitting on two 50cm high stools and fired straight out. Not ideal, but the best I could do last minute.
They produced a great sound out front, but as more people arrived to the party- maybe 75 total, the bass extension was lost a bit, and sounded a bit muddy along with the higher frequencies.
I need a sub. I know that now.
I am sending them back with the idea to purchase two 12's and a sub or two, as has been wisely suggested already, so I can get that punchy deep bass feel. I can really only afford one sub for now, and another in six months or so.
Would anyone be able to add their opinion about a system such as:
2 x dxr12's (or 10's) with 1x dxs12, or 1x dxs15
2x dBr12's (or 10's) with same subs as above (or a pair)- nice to save some coins with the DBR's if they really are so similar to dxr's. (Thx Al)
I am keen for the Yamaha tops going on all reviews and common opinions, and price.
A friend of mine has a k12 pair with one kw181 sub, and it sounds great for similar size places.
Would I be better shelling out for 1x qsc kw181 sub rather than 2x yamaha dxs12's?
I appreciate greatly any responses from anyone who knows more than me (not too hard!).
I intend this system to be primarily used for house and techno parties for 300-400 people inside, but with a concentrated dance floor of up to 150 people. Could be a live band pa aswell, but mostly for DJ use.
Will be adding some acoustic treatments to the room, such as absorption panels, heavy curtains on the walls, carpets.
In time can add another top or another sub, but don't wish to change the entire system.
Thx in advance! And thx for letting me pick your brains, again.
lvmez 11:15 PM - 2 December, 2014
Does anyone know where to get the best price on a pair of DSR115's?
dj_soo 11:46 PM - 2 December, 2014
My go to setup for small dance parties of 150 is a pair of 10" dxr10s and a pair of 15" Yorkville subs.

I also use that same setup for larger weddings and stuff of up to 250 or 300 in a pinch.

Sounds great, plenty of oomph, and portable.

I wouldn't try to do 150 on the dancefloor with a single 12" sub and even a single 15" is pushing it. It would be ok for more general, mainstream crowds, but for proper dance crowds, you're probably going to want at least 2 15" subs or a good quality 18" sub.

If you never intend on using your tops without subs, 10" tops of good quality are great imo and pair nicely with 15" subs.

The dxs subs get good reviews, but I've never listened to them. Not a huge fan of band pass subs myself tho...
djvtyme85 12:05 AM - 3 December, 2014
if your on a budget i'd do two zlx 12 and a elx 118 pair of subs. the k series is a great but expensive option.
DJ.Tyme 1:58 AM - 3 December, 2014
Quote:
Does anyone know where to get the best price on a pair of DSR115's?

I own a pair of dsr115's & a pair of dsr112's i dont have cash on hand & i let my dj gigs pay for the speaker payments. Google (Zzounds) & (AMS) American musical supply both have payment plans & i buy my gear from either or all the tyme
lvmez 2:32 AM - 3 December, 2014
I don't need a payment plan. lol. It's for as fellow DJ looking for a pair of DSR115's. Just wondering if anyone knew the best place to get a deal.

A DJ on here quoted me a great price on them a few months back but I can't reach him now.
RussD 11:52 PM - 3 December, 2014
many thanks- I'm currently thinking of two dxr10's and a KW181 sub.
Does anyone know if this would be a good match?
In time could double the same system.
Or thoughts on saving a buck and going with the dbr 10's, or 12's with the kw181?
I could take Al's suggestion of 2 dbr12's and 2 dxs12's.
Man, I've reached a deadlock- as I haven't heard these combos, and going by words/ reviews , and no way to try before buy.
Hopefully getting close to a decision.
Appreciate your time for everyone that's answered :)
djattila 12:03 AM - 4 December, 2014
Russ ... are u able to go anywhere to hear the speakers you want? Only you can tell if you like the sound or not. What sounds good to one might not to another. Something as important at speakers ... you should really listen before you buy if possible
rayjthedj 12:57 AM - 4 December, 2014
If you are buying a single KW181, then get the K10s, if you plan to increase to a pair of subs, then get a pair of K12. I am a big fan of keeping your subs and tops matched, there was a lot of R&D involved in getting the components to work together.

If you weren't impressed with the DXR15's, then stay away from the Yamaha subs, they are good products and add some low end, but they don't get near the KW181 or the ETX subs. Same for the ELX subs, it is not a powerful sub, but it does have a good price.

If you like EV and have it available at a good price, look at the ETX10P and the ETX15SP, they play well together and the 10Ps are really powerful and will keep up if you want to add another sub.
Al Poulin 2:17 AM - 4 December, 2014
Quote:
ok, well I had a chance to put out some volume with the dxr15's. Just straight out of my mixer (Ecler Nuo). I had it about half way on the mixer section of the speaker and half way on my DJ mixer- and it was loud. I was without stands (as they are currently lost in the post) so they were sitting on two 50cm high stools and fired straight out. Not ideal, but the best I could do last minute.
They produced a great sound out front, but as more people arrived to the party- maybe 75 total, the bass extension was lost a bit, and sounded a bit muddy along with the higher frequencies.

This, of course was not really a fair test of the DXR15s' capabilities since you didn't have them on stands - with the horns over people's heads. This is why the sound got bad pretty quickly - as soon as people are in front of them, they are blocking the mid and high frequencies... That said, if you want more bass, subs (or a good single sub) are always the answer. My opinion for a well priced and flexible system is still a pair of DBR12s over a pair of DXS12 subs, simply because you would be able to use the DBR12s stand alone for smaller bookings and still have reaonable thump. A pair of DXS12 subs with the X-TENDED LF setting activated fill in the lower frequencies very nicely IMO - although they won't go as deep as higher quality 15s or 18s of course. Still, for the money - this is a great sounding and powerful system.

Al
dj_soo 2:25 AM - 4 December, 2014
I personally think the dxrs sound better than the k series and although you will get a nominal improvement in sound with matched subs and tops, I really don't think it's very noticeable or worth the extra $100 per speaker you'd spend to get the k10s over the dxr10s.

Also, the kw181s have a built in crossover so you won't have to worry about the hpf curve not quite matching the subs curve.
RussD 10:05 AM - 4 December, 2014
Many many thanks for all this input. I have asked and received all the answers to help me go further. I have the options, and info, to take to a dealer and test these out in real life. I'm not too close to one, but now can make my trip specific. Am very grateful to all the patient responses. Am now with a bit more understanding behind my requirements/ budget and armed with various system choices suggested by people with more clue than me. It's been very helpful- all in the name of good sound. Cheers.
Would be delighted to finally report on events when they happen. :)
therustymiler 10:45 AM - 28 January, 2016
I'm looking at getting a pair of KW181's and am not sure what tops to put on?
currently thinking a pair of DSR 112 or DSR 115.
Keen to listen to a few other options like RCF ART 315-A MK3 , QSC k 12's or 15's or maybe even HK Audio Premium Pro 15XA or 12's
Cheers Guys
Boutique Sound 3:30 PM - 22 November, 2017
I picked up a pair of EV EKX 15s, they are very thumpy in club mode and I just leave them on the floor. Good enough for most gigs ... I was using Mackie SRM 450s for tops and EV subs or one sub plus aural exciter ... too much work! ... k12s sound smooth but no real base and they are plastic cabinets ... never heard the DSR 115s but heard the 112s, I would stick to what you have. Are they thumpy? is there a club mode where the base sounds good?