Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Sampler Help / Insights

PlugBeta 11:45 PM - 14 November, 2012
I purchased tracks that have a bunch of acapella and siren / horn samples in each track (via Beatport.com), I want to use parts of it for individual samples, I thought I could chop it up and edit it in Reason, but I can't - and it's not recommended (Nor do I have ReCycle for those of you that know about Reason), anyone have any ideas on what software I can use that's powerful and I can chop up and edit songs and save them to use as samples?

P.S. I can spend money, so I'm not just looking for opensource free stuff
Also, I am on a Mac platform.

Thank You!
Dave The One 3:13 AM - 15 November, 2012
Sound forge and/or Recycle; that's all I use.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 4:41 AM - 15 November, 2012
Try Audacity Free

I use Sound Forge or Sony Vegas to make quick cuts
PlugBeta 3:01 PM - 15 November, 2012
Quote:
Try Audacity Free

I hate that program. Haha

Quote:
Sound forge and/or Recycle; that's all I use.

I guess I'll have to check that out, Thanks!(:
Dave The One 4:31 PM - 15 November, 2012
The good thing about Sound Forge Recycle combo is that you can quickly mark up the audio in your tracks in sound forge; it doesn't have to be perfect; I'll export the regions into separate wav files then open them in recycle to get perfect loops and export as wav and rex so I can use them for deejaying and also for remixing/production in Pro Tools, Ableton or Reason.
breakermixer 12:20 AM - 16 November, 2012
Try Ocenaudio. It´s free. www.ocenaudio.com.br
DJ Boom Bap 1:17 AM - 16 November, 2012
Why don't you just buy Recycle?
phatbob 2:07 AM - 16 November, 2012
If all you need is a straightforward audio editor (which is what it sounds like) then I love Adobe Audition (used to be Cool Edit Pro back in the day).

If you're wanting to make loops and stuff, then Ableton Live is the one for me...
phatbob 2:09 AM - 16 November, 2012
Actually I see Sound Forge has just come out on OSX too.

Out of that and Audition, I'd just go for whichever you can get cheapest. I'd happily use either.
Dave The One 2:20 AM - 16 November, 2012
Phatbob, u brought me back (cool edit pro)
I used to use it exclusively for creating deck stops using the pitch bend effect and phase inversion to create acapellas. I haven't tried audition.

But Sound Forge is my go to, been using since version 1; it's scary how fast I can mark segments, highlight, copy paste, save and export without touching the mouse or trackpad.
phatbob 2:27 AM - 16 November, 2012
I was a Sound Forge user for years until I went over to OSX. It was my go-to program.

For a long time I had Windows XP installed in Boot Camp on my Macbook SOLELY for Sound Forge. Literally nothing else installed!

I only dropped it when Audition came to OSX last year and I bought that. Until then, I couldn't find any audio editors that came close to Sound Forge.

Damn, now you're making me want to go buy it...
Dave The One 2:36 AM - 16 November, 2012
lol I was using virtual pc on a Powebook g4 400mhz for soundforge. Was never a fan of bias peak which I hear was the only Mac program to chop stuff up (besides audacity which was horrible imo).

I knew sound forge was coming to Mac when bias announced that they were getting out of the game. I still haven't bought it for osx too expensive. I have a usb/fitewire external and also a network drive connected to my AirPort Extreme and export my chops from sound forge into a folder that I use on both Mac and pc; that's why I have two monitors, one r the PC and one for the Mac. External drives, network and share folders make life alot easier when using both platforms.
phatbob 2:43 AM - 16 November, 2012
Quote:
lol I was using virtual pc on a Powebook g4 400mhz for soundforge. Was never a fan of bias peak which I hear was the only Mac program to chop stuff up (besides audacity which was horrible imo).

I did try Peak too. That was almost as horrible as Audacity... ;-)
PlugBeta 9:31 PM - 16 November, 2012
Lol, I'm confused - so other than Recycle, which one are ya'll saying I should use?

Thank you for all of the Insights everyone!
Dave The One 9:52 PM - 16 November, 2012
Lol Sound Forge or Audition, or Ableton live which I would concur with Phatbob if you're going to be chopping up samples/loops
DJRobKraze 10:29 PM - 16 November, 2012
If you have a MAC - Audacity is Free and easy to use
DJCheLu 10:40 PM - 16 November, 2012
I would use audacity personally but since you hate it lol. You can use just about anything just for sound clips. I could use quicktime pro to cut up and export or even imovie drop in audio cut and export hahah
phatbob 10:49 PM - 16 November, 2012
Quote:
I would use audacity personally but since you hate it lol. You can use just about anything just for sound clips. I could use quicktime pro to cut up and export or even imovie drop in audio cut and export hahah

Actually I was going to suggest QuickTime Pro, too. If the ONLY thing you want to do is chop a long track into different bits, that'll do the job just fine.
Dave The One 10:57 PM - 16 November, 2012
Everybody likes to run with the free stuff; I guess I'm a little different, I like to use the best tools for the job and sound forge has been around for years as was recycle which are second to none and they do so much more. Dude said he had money and that it wasn't an issue and if you ha te money sound forge is out for both PC an Mac an so is recycle and the price of both wont break your back
DJCheLu 12:03 AM - 17 November, 2012
Actually just thought of an even easier way!! Just record it in serato dj lmfao. Play the sample, record it. Play another sample record it. Highest bit rate possible :)
PlugBeta 1:28 AM - 17 November, 2012
Quote:
Actually just thought of an even easier way!! Just record it in serato dj lmfao. Play the sample, record it. Play another sample record it. Highest bit rate possible :)

Very True!

Quote:
Everybody likes to run with the free stuff; I guess I'm a little different, I like to use the best tools for the job and sound forge has been around for years as was recycle which are second to none and they do so much more. Dude said he had money and that it wasn't an issue and if you ha te money sound forge is out for both PC an Mac an so is recycle and the price of both wont break your back

I guess I'll check out Sound Forge! I just don't really like Audacity, it's too cheap and ugly haha.

Thank you everyone, great community - very helpful.

Cheers!
Felonyruckus 6:27 PM - 17 November, 2012
I use Soundtrack Pro.
breakermixer 5:12 AM - 19 November, 2012