Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

a couple weeks in, what's the verdict on the ddj-sx?

DJ DDL 10:49 PM - 13 November, 2012
I've been keeping up with some threads here and there on the DDJ-SX and Serato DJ stuff over the last couple weeks. haven't seen a lot of positive marks on the software as of yet, but expected with new ish. but, outside of the normal bugs, anyone using the DDJ-SX live yet? how's it running? how's the software? glitches? as someone that uses an NS6, is it worth jumping over, or wait and see what the everyone's throwing out in response to Pioneer?
dj snow 11:27 PM - 13 November, 2012
Hey DDL I used the DDJ-SX live over the weekend at the club and it worked flawless both nights that I played. I also have the NS6 but In my personel opinion after using over the weekend I like DDJ-SX bettter then the NS6 now. Serato Dj much better then Itch. Feels more like Scratch Live now where before I thought Itch was just a watered down stripped version of Scratch Live.
Lightning 12:25 AM - 14 November, 2012
+1 on liking it over the NS6.

There a few things I dont like about the controller but nothing major or deal stopping.

Once you get on the SX mixer section you will not want to go back to the NS6. My biggest complaint is the faders, either too loose or to tight. These are all replaceable/repairable parts.
WhattaMac 1:09 AM - 14 November, 2012
Used my DDJ-SX this weekend for wedding, loved it!! Mic inputs sound great!! Serato DJ is dope!! Sold my NS6 to buy the Pioneer and zero regrets!!! One minor Serato DJ issue.... No "Auto" track play like Scratch Live??? (At least not that I could find...) I use this for playing background tracks during dinner at wedding so I don't have to stand there and mix for 1-2 hrs...
djcruz99 1:28 AM - 14 November, 2012
I also own an NS6 which is in the shop as we speak. It has been broken for a month now but with Sandy I just took in on Sunday. I just received my DDJ SX and haven't had that much play time yet but in my brief time with it, it has been awesome!!!. There are a couple of issues present
1 As mentioned no auto play however, Serato will be adding it back in the future.
2 The jogs don't spin back like the NS6, once you release the jog wheel it doesn't spin back much more.
3 No split cue, although I read somewhere that the is going to be implemented in software.
4 I think I found a bug with the echo, if you echo out a track (move the crossfader over and bring it back the fader, the audio remains low and then comes up to full volume again.

I don't know if all these issues can be fixed via firmware/software updates. Other then the above mentioned items, the DDJ SX is an absolute blast to play on.The pads are the best pads I have ever used and the fit and finish on the controller is top notch. It is a solid feeling controller. The plastic front and back don't bother me. I don't feel it makes a difference to the toughness of the controller.

Serato DJ will improve as time goes on and I really like what Serato did. they kept what most of us liked and tried to improve upon Itch's weakness.I think for the most part they succeeded.

Overall, this is the best controller I have owned and I have or have owed the VCI 100, Traktor S4, Numark NS6, Vestax VCI 380 & Pio DDJ SX.
djkrazyleo 3:32 AM - 14 November, 2012
i used it over the weekend and it worked out fine no issues on my 2010 mbp the software is a little buggy but then again it's the first build so hopefully it will improve . For me it sounds excellent with plenty of headroom possibly the best sounding control out the major gripe i have is the platter response they just seem to be lagging when you try to scratch thats my only problem other than that I can adjust to this machine and get the job done on every level.
djjoefresh 8:09 AM - 14 November, 2012
I love it.

Still practicing, will take it out to the clubs soon, still need a case first. :)
DJ_X_Trodinaire 5:39 PM - 14 November, 2012
So far so good. It's a keeper.
Qoolee Kid 6:19 PM - 14 November, 2012
Definitely a keeper. I was having hella issues with my NS7, don't know what was up with it. But I let a friend borrow it to see if he had problems with it, turned out it was running smooth with his MBP so he bought it from me.

I couldn't be happier with the SX. I just got mine on the 12th, but I've been messing with it getting used to the layout. I wasn't a fan of static jog wheels especially on the Vestax controllers, but I'm really enjoying these jogs. SDJ is running smoothly and I'm eager to use MixEmergency with SDJ.

I've only played around on the NS6 for a couple of gigs, but the extra features of the SX along with SDJ would be enough for anybody to want to switch over. I would recommend doing so.
B.Smith 6:30 PM - 14 November, 2012
I like it and don't like it. Dislikes: The pitch fader on the left channel is too close to the jog wheel. In the heat of a user's performance, you can accidentally brush your hand up against the platter and cause your track to stop. That's not good when your trying to entertain a 100 people out on the dance floor. It would have been better to place it on the opposite side of the platter. Platters are too stiff. Backspins stop too soon. Maybe after some usage, the platters may become more loose and gain a longer backspin. (Credit to Phil from digitaldjtips.com for pointing this out) Jog wheels need to be a little bigger. Small jog wheels suck for people with big hands like myself. Likes: Everything about it, except all that I mentioned. And I hope the pads have a full velocity output setting no matter how hard or soft you hit them like the Akai MPD18 does.
ernie 6:32 PM - 14 November, 2012
Good controller i use it last saturday and no complain
djcruz99 10:30 PM - 14 November, 2012
I have had or tired the following controllers
VCI 100
Traktor S4
Numark NS6
VCI 380
DDJ SX

My favorite jog wheels from the controllers i have tried are
VCI 380
DDJ SX
dj seye daddy 12:35 AM - 15 November, 2012
awesome decks. i needed something to save me form buying 2 cdjs and a rane 62. i've been using it for the past 2 weeks on friday and sat at club gigs and these are my only complaints:

1) mic sounds shitty to me
2) can't record from other input sources (yet)
3) the back spin is horrible
4) the pitch bend leaves something to be desired and is a pain to adjust to

other than that i love it. would i return it? no!
irieproductions 1:23 AM - 15 November, 2012
Hello DDJ-SX community, i just got my DDJ-SX today (finally) and still got a serato video voucher (thank god).

Some observations:
- I have read a lot of complaints about the jog wheels, i feel at home with them since i come from a Numark NS6 and i think i like these even more, it does have some lag when releasing but my NS6 did the same thing as well. I noticed i had to reduce a bit the sensitivity because the music would just stop if my hand was anywhere near the jogwheel.
- Going to have to get used to stiff line faders and loose pitch fader (this is the opposite to the NS6 lol).
- crossfader feels good although some loud clicking to my taste but thats ok.
- Slicer only works with beatgrids so i have to rescan my entire library, i had removed all my beatgrids because of some stupid behavior Serato implemented on the NS6 with the autoloop.

My only problem and i hope its just me doing something stupid. When i push the browsing knob to expand a crate that has multiple subcrates it does not expand the crate i got no clue why, with all my other itch controllers it worked fine when pushing the knob!

Can someone point me in the right direction?
involver 4:29 PM - 15 November, 2012
Quote:

My only problem and i hope its just me doing something stupid. When i push the browsing knob to expand a crate that has multiple subcrates it does not expand the crate i got no clue why, with all my other itch controllers it worked fine when pushing the knob!

Can someone point me in the right direction?

I think this will be added soon. Check out the manual errata pioneerdj.com
Dave The One 2:42 AM - 17 November, 2012
+1 on liking DDJ SX over NS6; this is my first day with it and i'm str8 just stoked. It's an amazing unit. Best controller yet, I've owned NS6 Twitch and the DDJ SX is permanently replacing both; Serato DJ is very good so far.
Lightning 2:47 AM - 17 November, 2012
I will say, I think the NS6 had smoother faders, the touch was about perfect on the platters, and I loved the xfader with the upgraded plate.

The rest... SX wins :)
DJ Half 2:51 AM - 17 November, 2012
SX is a keeper. Great for a hobbiest. I recommend for the house party small pubs. I wouldn't depend on it at anything bigger.
phatbob 3:05 AM - 17 November, 2012
Quote:
SX is a keeper. Great for a hobbiest. I recommend for the house party small pubs. I wouldn't depend on it at anything bigger.

I rocked 1000+ capacity venues last weekend with mine...

Build quality is easily equal to the other Pioneer gear in the booths.

Sound quality is great.

Software is as stable and feature-rich as Scratch Live.

So what exactly makes it unsuitable for large clubs?
Dave The One 3:07 AM - 17 November, 2012
^^^^

What he said! I would rock this 100 percent in any venue!
pdidy 4:34 AM - 17 November, 2012
CDJs or 1200s are my tools of choice for high paying gigs or large venues. That being said, Ive rocked my vci300 under the same conditions flawlessly with no concerns. So I don't see the ddjsx being any different. Granted it will be a few more yrs before this becomes standard in the dj community.
Lightning 4:59 AM - 17 November, 2012
Quote:

Well with some of the firmware issues with the Nexus line, the SX might be more stable than that gear. I've been DJ'ing for a long time, I see no reason what this is not suitable for ANY venue other than it might hurts someone else's pride a little.
caliguy 5:58 AM - 17 November, 2012
Ive been spinning on everything.

I started using drum pads and other MIDI devices to control Scratch Live as soon as that was a possibility. Heck I even jumped on the American Audio VMS4 when it first dropped. After trying this and that and everything in between, I went back to Technics tables because there is nothing like a Technics. I stopped using controllers alltogether even quit the Dicers and instead learned some keyboard functions. I stopped using all controllers for a pretty good time now until the Pioneer DDJ-SX dropped. Finally someone got it right!

Leave it to Pioneer to handle the task of making a quality controller that actually does what its supposed to and them some.

Ive only had the chance to mess with this thing for 2 days, and im super satisfied. I couldnt get it when it first dropped because I waited too long to try and get a bangin deal, and next thing I knew....SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE, and for a good reason.

I updated the firmware and bam, the jog wheels feel that much more accurate!

Im one happy kid in a Pioneer candy store!

To top it off, there are actually few things that im digging that are better on Serato DJ vs Scratch Live.
Dominic Carterâ„¢ 2:23 PM - 17 November, 2012
no matter how much you adjust the sensitivity..the moment you touch the platter surface it can either be too hard or too soft. depending on your sensitivity settings. Doesn't feel that there is a normal happy medium. Might be due to the technology. I like the unit but really would have hoped for hardware FX & an LCD screen along with USB + rekordbox functionality but those are simply desires that will probably come in the PRO level model if it becomes that. I used the unit out several times. I believe for mixing and etc it is great.. For scratching & more turntablist style stuff it becomes a problem due to the technology limitations. I've gotten some pretty comfortable settings in order but there are certain scratches I cannot perform and it's like you have to start with your hand on the surface touching it and then release. You cannot just come at it directly without a slight jolt. Hard to really explain. anyone else know what I'm talking about?
dj snow 3:01 PM - 17 November, 2012
I agree with you Dominic on the sensitivity. I feel like the more complex scratches you do there is still a slight lag. Would have been nice if they used the same technolgy on the pioneer CDJ 2000 jog wheel on the Piooner DDJ-SX along with tension adjust for the jogs. Other then that I'm extremely happy with the unit.
taump 3:27 PM - 17 November, 2012
Have played this thing (SX) in the wild and its a keeper....rocked 4 shows and no issues at all only issues I encountered were user errors like hitting a button or bumping on the pitch but that will be OK in time ...this is a small unit and you need to get used to it
dj jamalot 6:30 PM - 17 November, 2012
I have used mine since the 1st day no complaints I need to practice the functions more but I used my ns7 as well like the drum pads on the DDJ better but love the moving platters on my NS7 so I'll keep both u can never have to many rigs...
DJ Half 11:55 PM - 17 November, 2012
Quote:

Let me re-word my last sentence. "I will not use it for anything bigger". I'm sure it'll perform at any venue as stated.
dj jamalot 12:02 PM - 18 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Let me re-word my last sentence. "I will not use it for anything bigger". I'm sure it'll perform at any venue as stated.

I could use it at any venue... the funcionlity is there the sound quality is good pre amp it up and its there you can go anywhere from there...
dj jamalot 12:03 PM - 18 November, 2012
or direct box i should say...
Dave The One 2:33 PM - 18 November, 2012
This really shouldn't be a pissing contest, it's a great controller. One might use it for everything, others may not.

It's the best Serato controller yet (feature wise) everyone has different likes (full sized, compact), this is the best full sized Serato controller that I ever Put my hands on and I was a big fan of the V7, NS7 ad NS6.

I'm really enjoying this controller and Serato DJ, there's way too much to tackle, My Mpd 32 and Lpd 8 showed up in my midi settings which I completely forgot existed in Serato DJ. I have three days off next week and on vacation fir 10 days in December and I'm going and look forward to digging into everything.
Dj Riff Stylez 2:47 PM - 19 November, 2012
Definitely loving the SX so far. Not the greatest controller to scratch on but, overall, this is my new most prized possession after my 57. Can't wait to do some gigs with it...just gotta wait to get a solid case for it.
dj-freestyle 7:54 PM - 19 November, 2012
I use it with one technic 1200 for scratching and love it. Used it all weekend for gigs and sounded amazing. Had a ns6 and i actually like this controller more.
BleepCore 6:03 PM - 20 November, 2012
The best controller I've used for scratching is the VCI-380 (with the CF-X2 crossfader upgrade)...anyone care to compare the feeling/performance of the 380 with the SX for scratching?
phatbob 6:08 PM - 20 November, 2012
In some respects the SX feels more like vinyl, in that it doesn't go immediately back up to speed when you lift your hands off. I always found that weird on the 380.

The position indicator is 'finer' on the 380, the LED segments on the SX are big, so tiny movements aren't reflected on the indicator.

And I like being able to tighten the platters on the 380.

But there are plenty of people with videos of them cutting on the SX just fine.

It's just like going decks>CDJs>controllers. They all feel a bit different but it's nothing you can't get used to.
BleepCore 6:20 PM - 20 November, 2012
Yeah, I've had to get used to that "instant start on release" when scratching on the 380. I started with vinyl in the mid-90's, never really realized that I had trained myself to very slightly throw the record on release to get it up to speed (but it makes sense when you think about it.) On the 380 I had to re-train myself to just take my hand off without throwing the jogwheel.
phatbob 6:32 PM - 20 November, 2012
Quote:
On the 380 I had to re-train myself to just take my hand off without throwing the jogwheel.

Re-train is exactly the right phrase. First few weeks with the 380 I was literally reminding myself in my head every time "just lift your hand off'... Got it eventually though.
BleepCore 6:35 PM - 20 November, 2012
Yeah, I laughed at myself a few times, "stop throwing the jogwheel already it's not vinyl..." I wonder if Serato/Pioneer would support both modes with an option. That would be great. Vinyl users would probably prefer the current mode while people who trained on controllers might prefer the instant-play-on-release.
dj-freestyle 6:58 PM - 20 November, 2012
Ya numark ns6 starts instantly and when i would go from my tables to ns6 its always weird for a few songs. Same with ddj i have to push forward just a slight pinch i feel like.
WarpNote 7:02 PM - 20 November, 2012
Quote:
Dislikes: The pitch fader on the left channel is too close to the jog wheel. In the heat of a user's performance, you can accidentally brush your hand up against the platter and cause your track to stop. That's not good when your trying to entertain a 100 people out on the dance floor. It would have been better to place it on the opposite side of the platter

I actually feel the exact opposite way, the right pitch slider gets in my way when nudging pitch with the outer side of the jog. Still, I believe its a matter of habits. maybe get used to switching from vinyl to cdj when nudging....
dj-freestyle 7:03 PM - 20 November, 2012
I think depends what hand you are. im left handed so doesnt seem to get in my way.
caliguy 6:59 PM - 21 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Dislikes: The pitch fader on the left channel is too close to the jog wheel. In the heat of a user's performance, you can accidentally brush your hand up against the platter and cause your track to stop. That's not good when your trying to entertain a 100 people out on the dance floor. It would have been better to place it on the opposite side of the platter

I actually feel the exact opposite way, the right pitch slider gets in my way when nudging pitch with the outer side of the jog. Still, I believe its a matter of habits. maybe get used to switching from vinyl to cdj when nudging....

Quote:
I think depends what hand you are. im left handed so doesnt seem to get in my way.

I dont know if its just me but if you get the sensitivity just right (very low) (8:45 ish) you can pitch bend forward by using the top of the platter in VINYL mode and a low setting also prevents the music from completely stopping in case you accidentally touch the top of the platter.
On my DDJ I have to actually grab down the platter like i would a record on a turntable to get it to stop.

Pitching the tempo using low sensitivity works if you do little soft petting strokes but is a little more sensitive and requires a little more care than pitching forward with this method.

Try it.
caliguy 7:02 PM - 21 November, 2012
Quote:
Pitching the tempo using low sensitivity works if you do little soft petting strokes but is a little more sensitive and requires a little more care than pitching forward with this method.

OOPS I meant: pitching bending BACKWARDS using low sensitivity.
Its tougher to do backwards vs forwards.
caliguy 8:04 PM - 21 November, 2012
Correction: im actually dowing this using a setting around 8:55 not 8:45 i had said before on the left. And im at 9 on the right.