Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Why that long for the vci-300??

DJ-SHUFFLE 10:34 PM - 12 November, 2012
Why waiting that long for the Vestax Vci-300 mk2 ??
haze324 2:52 AM - 13 November, 2012
Serato gotta make money man. If they gave itch the updates for free first and I had an intro controller, I'd just get an itch controller (used) and get the software for free. Serato makes no profit. Kinda sucks, but understandable from a business perpective.
DJ-SHUFFLE 7:38 PM - 13 November, 2012
Quote:
Serato gotta make money man. If they gave itch the updates for free first and I had an intro controller, I'd just get an itch controller (used) and get the software for free. Serato makes no profit. Kinda sucks, but understandable from a business perpective.

i agree bro but the thing is why those controllers ; Serato DJ Intro 1.0.9 supports the following controllers:

Denon DJ MC2000
Numark MixDeck
Numark MixDeck Express
Numark MixTrack Pro
Numark N4
Numark MixDeck Quad
Pioneer DDJ-ERGO-V
Reloop Terminal Mix 4
Reloop Terminal Mix 2
Vestax Typhoon
Vestax VCI-100 Mk II
Vestax VCI-400 *
befor the vci-300

some of them are cheaper compare to the vestax 300...
phatbob 7:41 PM - 13 November, 2012
And all of them will make $200 for Serato every time a user upgrades to SDJ. Itch users... $0.

That's what haze234 was getting at, not the cost of the controller.
DJ-SHUFFLE 7:47 PM - 13 November, 2012
Ok thank you! :)
keyray 9:33 AM - 14 November, 2012
Why that long for the vci-380??)))
haze324 2:54 PM - 14 November, 2012
Quote:
Why that long for the vci-380??)))

It's that long for ALL Itch controllers.

First - Serato will sell upgrades to Serato Intro Controller for 200.00, then give Itch updates for free. If the updates to Itch controllers came first, then Intro users could sell their controller and get an Itch controller with a free updgrade. This means Serato makes no profit as opposed to selling the updgrades first. As a business solution this is very reasonable.
XRM5 3:49 PM - 14 November, 2012
It's only reasonable if it actually makes money, because there's a huge negative impression given to the existing Itch user base that has to be seen as a cost in itself.

Itch's brand had been declining and it had been losing users to Traktor for some time. Even "neutral" music tech blogs had started calling Serato out for making Itch such a neglected stepchild.

Making the entire existing Itch community wait for upgrades does nothing to stop this process.

In the meantime, it's cheaper for Intro users to switch to Traktor, and many of them also own Itch hardware. So how many $200 upgrades are they really gonna sell?

In the long term, it might have been smarter to skip the small cash grab & really reach out to re-establish things with their existing user base instead.
keyray 6:37 PM - 14 November, 2012
380 was latest controller,made for itch and support is sux-what money-we spend money for this device and become no support till spring!!!
Wtf?!
keyray 6:39 PM - 14 November, 2012
Vci-380 must be at first place in a Serato Dj supported controllers!!!
haze324 8:34 PM - 14 November, 2012
Quote:
380 was latest controller,made for itch and support is sux-what money-we spend money for this device and become no support till spring!!!
Wtf?!

Well I can tell you that this won't get you far here. Truth is you purchased a controller that works with Itch. It still does exactly how you purchased it with the intentions that you would use it with Itch. Nothings changed for you. That's like saying the VCI-300 and the NS7 were the first ones, so they should get the first updates, they've been waiting longer.

I do agree with many of the points that XRM5 posted above, but in the end understand why Serato would want to cater to and bring in a larger part of the market share. It seems like the SX was a hit sales wise, many of the Itch users have upgraded and Serato scored there. Now time to bring in guys that are using Intro products and shortly after Itch users. I argued initially that sales would've been better for Serato DJ if there was a large user base already using it that were Itch users providing positive feedback, therefore enticing Intro users to upgrade. Serato replied that there would be SX users already doing that.

In the end I'm sure it will all work out. Really what's a few months, the new software will not get me any more gigs, or magically make me a better DJ. In fact, my concern is more with supporting Serato and hoping the comanpy and product both grow in the right direction.
DJ-SHUFFLE 8:48 PM - 14 November, 2012
In other words its a gift for itch users...(better then nothing...)
XRM5 9:38 PM - 14 November, 2012
The people who pre-ordered the SX paid $800 to beta test.

I know nobody calls out software makers on that practice anymore, but it's bad business.

The beta should have been conducted with existing hardware. Or the SX could have launched with a working Itch and a Serato DJ beta. Those are the 2 responsible ways they could have handled the relaunch.

No matter what angle you look at this relaunch from, it's a little suspect. I realize that new shiny gives everyone amnesia, but my faith in Serato is still not restored.

The next few months/year will say a lot. There are missing Itch features like auto-play that they have to add ASAP, support for something like 20 different controllers to add, the Bridge is still in limbo, and Serato Video really needs some love (only 2 or 3 feature updates ever in 4-5 years while Mix Emergency keeps blowing them away).

Meanwhile NI has their house in order and is constantly changing the game while targeting every part of Serato's business, Virtual DJ 8 will come out someday, and upstarts like Algoriddim are creeping toward Serato with software that runs on iPhones (!?!?!). Serato's old style will not be able to keep up. I keep waiting to see what their new style will be.
keyray 8:24 AM - 15 November, 2012
Quote:

the new software will not get me any more gigs, or magically make me a better DJ.

After reading this i understand,that you dont know the problem about vci-380:
This divice was maybe one of desireble controller of the year,specially for vci-100/300 users,who wants to upgrade(i sell my vci-300 to buy 380)
What we got? Thing, that worx not correct and almost all bugs comes from software and Serato&Vestax says "known issues, will be fixed in a next update"
and after few beta versions and one candidate, where is almost nothing imporant is fixed we got a news:
2.2.2 is a last version and will be never updated!
But serato dj support comes only "spring 2013"!
That means,all folks,that have problems with record,usb-dropouts,glitches on outputs and more must wait!
Im peronally cant play on the gigs becose my xlr and rca outputs not workin.
As i know this is a "known issue"!
Ok, i still have two turntables and rane 57, but not all customers have a backup.
And not all gigs are for big setup.
I use serato since 2008 and very respect,what they do,but this situation makes me mad.

DJ SHUFFLE - sorry for offtop!
DJ NoNseNse 3:43 PM - 15 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
the new software will not get me any more gigs, or magically make me a better DJ.

After reading this i understand,that you dont know the problem about vci-380:
This divice was maybe one of desireble controller of the year,specially for vci-100/300 users,who wants to upgrade(i sell my vci-300 to buy 380)
What we got? Thing, that worx not correct and almost all bugs comes from software and Serato&Vestax says "known issues, will be fixed in a next update"
and after few beta versions and one candidate, where is almost nothing imporant is fixed we got a news:
2.2.2 is a last version and will be never updated!
But serato dj support comes only "spring 2013"!
That means,all folks,that have problems with record,usb-dropouts,glitches on outputs and more must wait!
Im peronally cant play on the gigs becose my xlr and rca outputs not workin.
As i know this is a "known issue"!
Ok, i still have two turntables and rane 57, but not all customers have a backup.
And not all gigs are for big setup.
I use serato since 2008 and very respect,what they do,but this situation makes me mad.

DJ SHUFFLE - sorry for offtop!

Get rid it of and get a ddjsx and stop complaining. Nobody is forcing you to keep the vci380.
DJred24 4:42 AM - 19 November, 2012
That's kinda rude to tell someone they should take a good $3-400 loss. I love Vestax Vci controllers. The 300 was my first digital exp. Be honest I didn't even know what Itch was.

Personally hold onto the 380. The pioneer is great I'm sure, but Nam is around the corner. For sure waiting till next May before I buy any DJ gear again. Seems like all the big hits come out for Summer session.