Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Pioneer DDJ-SX Live Demo Video/Serato DJ V1.0 - With Onscreen Commentary

nik39 3:19 AM - 6 November, 2012
Hey guys,

I have recorded a 10-min quick-live set using the Pioneer DDJ-SX with Serato DJ 1.0. to introduce and demonstrate some of the key functions.

This is NOT a full product demonstration, this is NOT a "look-ma.. I can scratch" video (I am not a turntablist ;) ).

It is live mix, it is fun (at least I enjoyed recording it), :) and it is imperfect. It is meant to give a few ideas about what you *could* do. By intention the mixes/cuts/transitions are kept short because I wanted to show as much as possible without making the entire mix too long (It is already 11 minutes)

I was using one Canon beginners cam, one mobile phone cam (Galaxy Note), one Dell laptop's built in webcam and a MacBook facetime cam (unfortunately I deleted that angle by accident)). it is using videos with different quality. Plus I stupidly forgot to record from SDJ internally :-D Anyway, I was too lazy to re-record.

Anyway.. enough disclaimers - here we go:

Youtube Link:
Watchwww.youtube.com

Vimeo Link:
Watchvimeo.com

Feel free to comment and/or to ask questions.
irieproductions 3:40 AM - 6 November, 2012
vimeo not working fyi.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 5:30 AM - 6 November, 2012
Jesus Pose!
DJ Baby Raj 5:45 AM - 6 November, 2012
Nice video man... Did you change the illumination of the jog wheels? How is that done?
Marv Incredible 6:30 AM - 6 November, 2012
Clap 1 for the content - this is the most informative and practical video I've seen so far.
Clap 2 for the video itself - these days I'm getting a deeper appreciation for what it takes to film and edit even a short multi-cam demo like this.
Dj Nyce 7:34 AM - 6 November, 2012
thank you sir
Dj Nyce 7:38 AM - 6 November, 2012
that 4 deck mode is the truth. that single most feature might drive me to grab one of these joints.
acemc 7:40 AM - 6 November, 2012
"oops - I came too early" - LOL!!!!
Haha - great vid man. Keep it up....... The Mixing!! that is.
radikarl 9:09 AM - 6 November, 2012
best demo so far! really good
radikarl 9:12 AM - 6 November, 2012
Quote:
Keep it up....... The Mixing!! that is.

IRL LOL
djcerla 12:46 PM - 6 November, 2012
Nice one, thanks.

Have you used it in clubs? What kind of bag have you used for transport?
ChanManNYC 4:49 PM - 6 November, 2012
bro, that was awesome! thank you for putting it together!
funkyfresh2012 5:07 PM - 6 November, 2012
I'll be checking this out....
funkyfresh2012 5:19 PM - 6 November, 2012
cool vid. Enjoyed the demo
DJKayce 6:58 PM - 6 November, 2012
Best informative video I've seen thus far. That was GOOOOD !!!!! Keep it up bro.
djjoefresh 10:43 PM - 6 November, 2012
Great video! Thanks!
Serato
Glenn M 11:00 PM - 6 November, 2012
Cheers, Anik. That's some great work.
nik39 8:51 AM - 7 November, 2012
Thanks for the warm feedback ;)

Quote:
Have you used it in clubs? What kind of bag have you used for transport?

Haven't tried it yet. This unit is so new, and last week I had an off week so I couldn't try it out in the public ;) This week the EMA's will be hosted in Frankfurt/Germany (where I live), so I expect to see some "high class" celebs around here and at the places where I spin I don't want to take any risks (pressing the wrong button etc).

Also, TBH, if the venue already has provided equipment, I would not bring my own gear. The SX is lighter than the NS6 and I hoped that I can put it into my NS6 softcase, but it doesn't fit :(
djcerla 3:18 PM - 7 November, 2012
Thanks nik.

I'd really like to see a smaller, 2+1 channels version of the SX.
dj-freestyle 4:28 PM - 7 November, 2012
@djcerla, i think if the sx is popular enough they will make a smaller version. thats my guess.
djcerla 4:44 PM - 7 November, 2012
Quote:
@djcerla, i think if the sx is popular enough they will make a smaller version. thats my guess.

That would be awesome... for small DJ booths and airport hopping :)
dj-freestyle 4:48 PM - 7 November, 2012
Ya i would buy it for traveling and stuff. I love my sx so a smaller one would be amazing for trips and stuff.
gevola 5:23 PM - 7 November, 2012
Quote:
Cheers, Anik. That's some great work.

+1
great job nik!
irieproductions 6:58 PM - 7 November, 2012
Here is another video just in case anyone is interested by AGIPRODJ (fairly long overview)

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Dynamight 7:26 PM - 7 November, 2012
dope vid!
signs 8:34 PM - 7 November, 2012
Here is one of me checking out the Slicer Mode :P

Watchvimeo.com
irieproductions 8:39 PM - 7 November, 2012
i don't quite get the difference between what you are doing with the slicer and using the roll feature. is it not possible to do the same with roll?
nik39 3:02 AM - 8 November, 2012
Quote:
Here is one of me checking out the Slicer Mode :P

Watchvimeo.com

I liked it. Which slice domain size did you use? Did you use 8 and 1? Just curious.
signs 9:03 AM - 8 November, 2012
Quote:
i don't quite get the difference between what you are doing with the slicer and using the roll feature. is it not possible to do the same with roll?

Slicer cut's the Track in parts of a e.g. 8 beats (you can set the length) (or 4x 1/2beat, or 2x 1/4beat.....).
Now you can Play any slice at any Position in the active part.
For example: you set Slicer to make 8 Slices of 1 Beat per Slice.
if you don't do anything the Track runns: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. Then the next part is selected and again: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.

But when useing the slices you can even Play 3, 3, 6, 6, 5, 1, 8, 7

You can also say that it should only Play a half of that Slice. or 1/4. Then it will Loop that 1/4 as Long as you hold that button.

But it will always stay in beat.

So slicer is a Kind of mixture of variable 8 Hotcues, Looproll and Loop. :P

If you want i can make a "Demo" Video for you?

Quote:
I liked it. Which slice domain size did you use? Did you use 8 and 1? Just curious.

i think that was 8 and 1/4 :P Not sure at the Moment.
DeezNotes 11:52 AM - 8 November, 2012
Nice video nik. A few days ago I went to look for videos and they were all... subpar. This one was good.

I actually went to the store to check this out yesterday. I spent a few hours with it and while it was nice, I couldn't make the purchase. There were a few things that were a little "off" to me. Overall, it just reminds me that Pioneer builds and markets for a certain type of DJ. That's only represents a fraction of the type of DJ I am, so it's not hip hop approved as far as I'm concerned. lol

Also, I'm going to wait and see where Serato DJ goes from here. How long updates/fixes take to get implemented and what other issues arise over the next few months - let's see how they handle it. I don't want to get stuck with an early model with bugs that can't be fixed (like the DDJ-S1).

Thanks for the vid.
nik39 12:37 PM - 8 November, 2012
Thanks, DeezNotes certified means something for me ;)

Can you elaborate which parts kept you back from purchasing it from a hiphop point of view?
acemc 12:45 PM - 8 November, 2012
The slicer mode is very cool! Is this only possible with the ddj-sx?
Or will it be available for all Serato dj users to map to other midi devices.... when it is finally released to the rest of us that is.
DeezNotes 2:51 PM - 8 November, 2012
Quote:

Can you elaborate which parts kept you back from purchasing it from a hiphop point of view?

The major things that kept me from purchasing it were the factors outside of the unit itself. If you recall, I had an issue with my DDJ-S1 where the music would pause every 30 mins or so. No one at Serato could reproduce the error and Pioneer doesn't exactly have a presence like Rane does around here. Or even the way Vestax does/did. I'm not 100% confident in purchasing one of their products - again. I may purchase it later once they get more in stock, only because of the holiday. It expands the 14-day return window to 2 months. So, if I do encounter an issue such as the last one, I can return it.

On to the unit itself. The issues I had would be minor for most people, but they still weren't comforting. Having 4 decks isn't a "plus" for me. So in that regard, there's more to this unit that makes it more complex for my needs. I had a big issue with the platter release and how it works while tapping and scratching. I know this isn't a turntable replacement, but if I'm spending this kind of money I want it to work a certain way. If you repeatedly tap the platter, there is a slight delay when the song is released. Adjusting the touch sensitivity didn't help for me. It went to a delayed release to not registering my touch unless I pressed really hard. For normal play this, then play that operation... it works okay. However I did have issues with releasing some songs on beat due to this.

I had an issue where the pitch slider wouldn't register on the deck I just loaded a track to. It would eventually work, but I was able to replicate this about a half dozen times. This may be able to be fixed in a software update, but it was a problem overall.

I don't like the crossfader cut when doing transforms or crab scratches. If you move the fader slow (open to close), the sound is a sharp on/off. If you crab or transform really quickly, the sound fades and it doesn't sound good at all. Two click flares don't sound the way they should on this unit. Please don't go "internet" on me and ask "who does that?" I do. If I'm buying something that's a "Pro DJ" piece of gear, it should be able to keep up with me. There were people right next to me while I was testing it and their words were "I can see this thing can't keep up with you." ...and I'm not the fastest DJ out there.

I'm not really a fan of the way you engage the FX, but I think that's something you can get used to over time. So that's not a big deal. I guess I just got accustomed to the big yellow buttons Pioneer mixers have? Oh, the DDJ-S1 had those too.

I'm not sure how I feel about the cue system either, but I know how it is with mixers with more than 2 channels... I'll never be able to move as quick on those as I can a Rane 56 or 57. Those are the best. The Master/Cue switch is highly underrated. :)

The platters feel nice, but there is some drag when you try to manipulate the platter in certain ways. Yes, spin-back rotations are limited.. but that's not a huge deal (I guess). I do wish it was different. Also, when trying to do some scratches where you let the sample go and then pull it back, the platter reacts very strangely. I can't describe it now, but I know it doesn't work as well as it should. Beat juggling is out of the question on this thing. The vinyl marker in the middle helps a little and while it's slightly faster than the DDJ-S1, it's not perfect. I can live with it honestly, but the sticker-sync feature request Akiem has been on for a while NEEDS to be implemented as an option for trick-mixing or beat juggling near cue points. The down-side of that display area is that it's big and it doesn't leave a lot of room for touch-area. I noticed when trying to bring something back, my fingers would touch the glass which would result in a non-registered touch... which would then get annoying. Maybe this is something one could adjust to? Initially, it was a turn off though.

I agree with some of the software suggestions people made which were brought up in the forum. That makes me wonder... who's testing this stuff? Why were some of these decisions made? It leaves me feeling a bit distant from the Serato team in a way that's much different from the past. Back when I first joined the forum, our voices were loud and strong. They listened. Now... they listen... sometimes. I have my doubts. Today, we have our 4th software offering from Serato. Since this is version 1.0.0... I want to see what changes get merged into the code and how long it takes. If I see a repeat of features we didn't ask for getting added that don't benefit me as a DJ... or features being added that benefit those DJs that don't reflect me (I'm trying to be nice by not taking shit about the newer generation of DJs), I may have to step back a bit.

Some of the good:

Independent start and stop brakes... good. Thanks for listening.

The pads are awesome. They feel exactly like I thought the 68 buttons would feel like. Remember that? Plus, all the functions you can do with them. Although I would not use them

The platter feel is smooth. I like that over the DDJ-S1's platter.

The adjustment knobs that were shit on the first VCI-300 are much better. Other controls that would normally be on the back are on the front, which is a good call.

Soft on/off. Nuff said.

Deck switching implementation is nice. I also like how you can manipulate 2 decks with one platter. Really cool stuff.

The effects sound better... I think. They definitely sound better than ITCH.. but not as good as Pioneer mixers. I'm not a huge effects guy though, so that's whatever with me.

The outputs are good. Plus it has booth out. Finally something club-worthy.

Channel LEDs.

I like the way the mic talkover works too. It doesn't just turn everything down even while there's no input on the mic.

Overall it's packed full of features and awesome buttons that do crazy things. The software is in the beginning stages. I'm anxious to see where things (Serato DJ) go from here. It's not a bad start though (so far from what I can see). Controllers have their limitations and this one is not exempt. It has more features and feels better than some of the others, but I still get the feeling that it's the "king of the stupids." Meaning, all controllers feel like step-children of the DJ world in one way or another. This one is just the best in a bunch of losers (if you will). Even though it has what I feel is an even balance of things that annoy me and things I'm impressed with, I never once got the feeling that made me think "I have to have this." I take that back... seeing Serato DJ made me think I needed to have it. So, that emotion had nothing to do with the controller itself. It was more-so for the loyalty to the Serato brand more than anything. I refuse to be blinded by my love for Serato and awesome feeling pads to overlook my annoyances. Help requests for my other Pioneer product (which I recently sold) which went un-answered also didn't help nudge me in the direction of purchasing it.

Last but not least, a few days after it was released, I looked online for some videos to see if people put up anything that would show a DJ like me using it. I got nothing. A lot of those "other" types of DJs that don't perform anything like me. After using it, I can honestly say that the controller+software in its current state would NOT allow me to make a video similar to the VCI-300 one I did (which was just me messing around). I can't flow that way on this unit. It's not made for me. Your video was great. Seeing a real DJ use this gear is essential. So thanks.
acemc 4:16 PM - 8 November, 2012
Quote:
the VCI-300 one I did (which was just me messing around)

DeezNotes - Your idea of messing around is what a lot of guys (like myself) can only dream of doing. After that, I watched your beat juggling tutorial - Great stuff, Thank you!!!
I really appreciate people who have the skills, take the time to try help others out. And all purely for their love of it. I also appreciate your honest & objective post above, about your overall feel of this unit. This is the type of info that will certainly help myself & others look at this piece of kit a whole lot closer instead of just buying it in excitement. So... Thanks again!
elsupermang 4:17 PM - 8 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

The major things that kept me from purchasing it were the factors outside of the unit itself. If you recall, I had an issue with my DDJ-S1 where the music would pause every 30 mins or so. No one at Serato could reproduce the error and Pioneer doesn't exactly have a presence like Rane does around here. Or even the way Vestax does/did. I'm not 100% confident in purchasing one of their products - again. I may purchase it later once they get more in stock, only because of the holiday. It expands the 14-day return window to 2 months. So, if I do encounter an issue such as the last one, I can return it.

On to the unit itself. The issues I had would be minor for most people, but they still weren't comforting. Having 4 decks isn't a "plus" for me. So in that regard, there's more to this unit that makes it more complex for my needs. I had a big issue with the platter release and how it works while tapping and scratching. I know this isn't a turntable replacement, but if I'm spending this kind of money I want it to work a certain way. If you repeatedly tap the platter, there is a slight delay when the song is released. Adjusting the touch sensitivity didn't help for me. It went to a delayed release to not registering my touch unless I pressed really hard. For normal play this, then play that operation... it works okay. However I did have issues with releasing some songs on beat due to this.

I had an issue where the pitch slider wouldn't register on the deck I just loaded a track to. It would eventually work, but I was able to replicate this about a half dozen times. This may be able to be fixed in a software update, but it was a problem overall.

I don't like the crossfader cut when doing transforms or crab scratches. If you move the fader slow (open to close), the sound is a sharp on/off. If you crab or transform really quickly, the sound fades and it doesn't sound good at all. Two click flares don't sound the way they should on this unit. Please don't go "internet" on me and ask "who does that?" I do. If I'm buying something that's a "Pro DJ" piece of gear, it should be able to keep up with me. There were people right next to me while I was testing it and their words were "I can see this thing can't keep up with you." ...and I'm not the fastest DJ out there.

I'm not really a fan of the way you engage the FX, but I think that's something you can get used to over time. So that's not a big deal. I guess I just got accustomed to the big yellow buttons Pioneer mixers have? Oh, the DDJ-S1 had those too.

I'm not sure how I feel about the cue system either, but I know how it is with mixers with more than 2 channels... I'll never be able to move as quick on those as I can a Rane 56 or 57. Those are the best. The Master/Cue switch is highly underrated. :)

The platters feel nice, but there is some drag when you try to manipulate the platter in certain ways. Yes, spin-back rotations are limited.. but that's not a huge deal (I guess). I do wish it was different. Also, when trying to do some scratches where you let the sample go and then pull it back, the platter reacts very strangely. I can't describe it now, but I know it doesn't work as well as it should. Beat juggling is out of the question on this thing. The vinyl marker in the middle helps a little and while it's slightly faster than the DDJ-S1, it's not perfect. I can live with it honestly, but the sticker-sync feature request Akiem has been on for a while NEEDS to be implemented as an option for trick-mixing or beat juggling near cue points. The down-side of that display area is that it's big and it doesn't leave a lot of room for touch-area. I noticed when trying to bring something back, my fingers would touch the glass which would result in a non-registered touch... which would then get annoying. Maybe this is something one could adjust to? Initially, it was a turn off though.

I agree with some of the software suggestions people made which were brought up in the forum. That makes me wonder... who's testing this stuff? Why were some of these decisions made? It leaves me feeling a bit distant from the Serato team in a way that's much different from the past. Back when I first joined the forum, our voices were loud and strong. They listened. Now... they listen... sometimes. I have my doubts. Today, we have our 4th software offering from Serato. Since this is version 1.0.0... I want to see what changes get merged into the code and how long it takes. If I see a repeat of features we didn't ask for getting added that don't benefit me as a DJ... or features being added that benefit those DJs that don't reflect me (I'm trying to be nice by not taking shit about the newer generation of DJs), I may have to step back a bit.

Some of the good:

Independent start and stop brakes... good. Thanks for listening.

The pads are awesome. They feel exactly like I thought the 68 buttons would feel like. Remember that? Plus, all the functions you can do with them. Although I would not use them

The platter feel is smooth. I like that over the DDJ-S1's platter.

The adjustment knobs that were shit on the first VCI-300 are much better. Other controls that would normally be on the back are on the front, which is a good call.

Soft on/off. Nuff said.

Deck switching implementation is nice. I also like how you can manipulate 2 decks with one platter. Really cool stuff.

The effects sound better... I think. They definitely sound better than ITCH.. but not as good as Pioneer mixers. I'm not a huge effects guy though, so that's whatever with me.

The outputs are good. Plus it has booth out. Finally something club-worthy.

Channel LEDs.

I like the way the mic talkover works too. It doesn't just turn everything down even while there's no input on the mic.

Overall it's packed full of features and awesome buttons that do crazy things. The software is in the beginning stages. I'm anxious to see where things (Serato DJ) go from here. It's not a bad start though (so far from what I can see). Controllers have their limitations and this one is not exempt. It has more features and feels better than some of the others, but I still get the feeling that it's the "king of the stupids." Meaning, all controllers feel like step-children of the DJ world in one way or another. This one is just the best in a bunch of losers (if you will). Even though it has what I feel is an even balance of things that annoy me and things I'm impressed with, I never once got the feeling that made me think "I have to have this." I take that back... seeing Serato DJ made me think I needed to have it. So, that emotion had nothing to do with the controller itself. It was more-so for the loyalty to the Serato brand more than anything. I refuse to be blinded by my love for Serato and awesome feeling pads to overlook my annoyances. Help requests for my other Pioneer product (which I recently sold) which went un-answered also didn't help nudge me in the direction of purchasing it.

Last but not least, a few days after it was released, I looked online for some videos to see if people put up anything that would show a DJ like me using it. I got nothing. A lot of those "other" types of DJs that don't perform anything like me. After using it, I can honestly say that the controller+software in its current state would NOT allow me to make a video similar to the VCI-300 one I did (which was just me messing around). I can't flow that way on this unit. It's not made for me. Your video was great. Seeing a real DJ use this gear is essential. So thanks.

Just one point: Just cause it's a 4 channel controller doesn't mean you have to use 4 decks. Just think of them as extra inputs, for a mic or a turntable or another DJ. You can rock 2 decks just fine esp with the view settings so that should factor into people's decision.

The rest just sounds like you weren't feeling the controller and I respect that. I had the same feeling with the new Denon SC3900s. I didn't like how the plastic got in the way of the platters, would jam my finger every dang time i tried to pitch bend. lol.
DeezNotes 5:16 PM - 8 November, 2012
Quote:
Just one point: Just cause it's a 4 channel controller doesn't mean you have to use 4 decks. Just think of them as extra inputs, for a mic or a turntable or another DJ. You can rock 2 decks just fine esp with the view settings so that should factor into people's decision.

The rest just sounds like you weren't feeling the controller and I respect that. I had the same feeling with the new Denon SC3900s. I didn't like how the plastic got in the way of the platters, would jam my finger every dang time i tried to pitch bend. lol.

You're right. I was glad to see they had a 2 deck view for a 4 deck controller. I can't really see that as a plus though. Something like that just makes sense for the majority of DJs out there. However, I can see it as a problem (for me) if I get a DJ that isn't as experienced on it and is asking me why is it doing this or that. Regardless if you actually use the decks or not, it does present an additional layer of complexity that most DJs won't use or will take time to learn how to deal vs a 2-deck system.
dj-freestyle 5:39 PM - 8 November, 2012
The controlller and a market it fills and not everybody fits that market. You just have to decide what you need and use that controller or product. Its all about having choices.
Funkytownstopsix 6:24 PM - 8 November, 2012
Quote:
The controlller and a market it fills and not everybody fits that market. You just have to decide what you need and use that controller or product. Its all about having choices.

+1
besides Nik39 put together a good video for people to see what it could do and that was what the thread was about. Thanks for sharing and taking the time out to post it Nik39. FYI this must be a good unit as they are are back order. All that you can do with thing is really impressive to say the least. Nik39 if you would do another video of the slice and break it down even futher... Big Out.
dj-freestyle 7:16 PM - 8 November, 2012
I love slip mode. yo ucan add samples and track stays going. Its a great feature.
irieproductions 7:34 PM - 8 November, 2012
2 questions:

1. Does Slip mode works only if you have beatgrids enabled?
2. Does Slicer only works with beatgrids enabled?
dj-freestyle 7:50 PM - 8 November, 2012
Yes
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:19 AM - 9 November, 2012
Quote:
The slicer mode is very cool! Is this only possible with the ddj-sx?
Or will it be available for all Serato dj users to map to other midi devices.... when it is finally released to the rest of us that is.

It is also on the VCI380
acemc 1:06 AM - 9 November, 2012
Ok now I get, only certain controllers will have this enabled.
I was hoping to map this out to an LPD8 or similar with my NS6.
benictrs 5:06 AM - 9 November, 2012
just a noob question in the serato dj& pioneer ssx discusion but from what i studied the looping section on this unit , you can't move the loops to left or right like on the ns6 ???? am i wrong ??? you can make auto loop , loop roll , and manual loop and manualy fine tune the loops but you can't move a 4 bar loop to left or wright on a track , is this corect ??? please confirm or infirm !!
nik39 8:06 AM - 9 November, 2012
You can shift loops.
dj-freestyle 2:14 PM - 9 November, 2012
Looping is the same as ns6.
benictrs 4:19 PM - 9 November, 2012
thx for the info :)
nik39 7:54 PM - 9 November, 2012
Quote:
Ok now I get, only certain controllers will have this enabled.

I fear so.. :(

I personally think slicer and slip should be possible on all controllers. Now with the Velocity Sampler that's a bit more tricky. Or the Dual Deck thing.
acemc 9:08 PM - 9 November, 2012
I heard that the velocity part of the sampler can be enabled/disabled, so if the controller doesn't have velocity pads then it's just disabled = a normal sampler. The dual deck thing all depends on how good SeratoDj's mapping capabilities are. I actually mapped my 3700's in Traktor like this ages ago, with just two simple buttons that would toggle decks C/D to "scratch control" using the same timecode signal from the original deck. But I didn't really use it that much. The only thing Im good at is scratching my head or my ass! Haha, but I won't stop trying, I'll get there one day...... probably when I'm 65 or so!!
Marv Incredible 2:10 AM - 10 November, 2012
Quote:
I actually mapped my 3700's in Traktor like this ages ago, with just two simple buttons that would toggle decks C/D to "scratch control" using the same timecode signal from the original deck

Way to hack it up! Love that kind of effort.
pdidy 3:25 AM - 10 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

So would you say you can preform this scratch routine better on a vci300 than you can on a ddjsx ?

Is your issue more fader or platter related ?

Do you think you had enough time to tweak the platters to your liking or is this something that would require a Fix ?

Im a hiphop / scratch dj also ,so I can easily relate to the issues you have.
DeezNotes 4:57 AM - 10 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

So would you say you can preform this scratch routine better on a vci300 than you can on a ddjsx ?

Is your issue more fader or platter related ?

Do you think you had enough time to tweak the platters to your liking or is this something that would require a Fix ?

Im a hiphop / scratch dj also ,so I can easily relate to the issues you have.

My issues are both platter and fader related.

First, the crossfader on the sharpest setting fades too much instead of it being a hard on/off when moving the fader quickly. If you move the fader slowly, you get the desired on/off effect, but if you're doing a fast scratch such as a chirp, flare or crab it sounds really bad (especially the latter).

The platter has an issue where there is a delay when you release the platter, so any attempt to beat juggle on it or perform some scratches where you release the platter and pull back don't work out too well. There are a few threads in the help section regarding this issue, so maybe Pioneer will have a fix in a new firmware version? If you ever get to test one, just tap the platter in a rhythmic pattern and watch how the release is delayed. Adjusting the touch sensitivity only helps if you're very heavy handed, which can lead to missed touches if you don't press hard enough.

So, the answer is yes - I would be able to perform any of those techniques better on a *working* VCI-300 than a DDJ-SX.
phatbob 9:24 AM - 10 November, 2012
I'm no turntablist, but I use turns when I'm not using controllers, and I actually find the 'release' on the SX feels much more like vinyl, in that you have to give it a little push like you would with a record.

I never did quite adjust to the way it works on my 380, where giving it a push makes it spin up too fast, and you really do have to just lift your hand off the platter. It feels unnatural.
DJdaveZ 9:45 AM - 10 November, 2012
nice vid. nice mixing. youre more qualified than grand wizard theodore to do an opening demo...

those "toms" were annoying way before you said. close to 00:01.

i cant wait to be able to get my hands on one of these...
acemc 10:20 AM - 10 November, 2012
Quote:
you have to give it a little push like you would with a record.

But if you're juggling, you're gonna be pulling backwards. Maybe that's when a "release lag" would become an issue.
phatbob 11:53 AM - 10 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
you have to give it a little push like you would with a record.

But if you're juggling, you're gonna be pulling backwards. Maybe that's when a "release lag" would become an issue.

But a 1200 doesn't spin up to full speed as soon as you lift your hand off either. And I've seen a lot of people juggling with those... ;-)
djkrazyleo 1:31 PM - 10 November, 2012
phatbob is possibly right i think its what people are use to if they were to adjust to the learning curves of the unit it would possibly be more comfortable for them to work with give the ddj sx some time and i think it will work itself out.
westell54 3:53 PM - 10 November, 2012
I think everyone has a valid point on the pros and cons of this unit and while some just need to take the time to adjust to the way it works, DeezNotes makes an excellent point as to why he doesn't think it fits his style. The biggest issue here is, it's a brand new controller and its from a company that hasn't traditionally made its products for "turntablists". Also, Pioneer is a company that has a tendency to follow the path of releasing new products rather than resolving problems with old ones. The example DeezNotes used was Rane as a company that offers very long term support for their product and they don't release new stuff every 12 months while abandoning products that are still in heavy use.

When I first saw the DDJ-SX, I wanted it immediately. I couldn't wait for some early reviews to come out for it or even some "real" demos of DJ's actually using it. The early reviews are mixed so far because they all focus on the pads and effects of the unit. There are a few that identify the issues that DeezNotes mentioned and they aren't very promising. The good thing is that they can probably be fixed in firmware updates but the question is, will they?

I'm not trying to speak for DeezNotes, but to echo some of what he wrote, it is an expensive controller to buy if you're not completely satisfied with it and you have to do a lot of adjusting to use get used to it. To buy it and hope that Pioneer/Serato will eventually address these few issues would be under the assumption that they even see them as issues at all. Taking into account your experience with different gear from different manufacturers and how they've handled their products over the years (he mentioned his experience with his S1). Again, DeezNotes has a point.

He also mentioned Serato and how they seem to be going in some different directions lately. Not necessarily a bad thing, but something to keep in mind if you plan on investing more money into their products and their vision doesn't line up with yours. Serato bult their empire with ScratchLive and the turntablist market and while it's good that they've embraced the controllerist market as well, their starting to look like the rest of the software companies out there. That's fine too but it doesn't take away the turntable DJ's right to ask "what's going on over there in New Zealand?".
DeezNotes 6:47 PM - 10 November, 2012
^^ THIS ^^
nik39 5:29 PM - 11 November, 2012
Quote:
Nice video man... Did you change the illumination of the jog wheels? How is that done?

Hey Raj, sorry, missed your question. You can change the illumination using the utility mode. This is described in the manual.
dj-freestyle 7:41 PM - 11 November, 2012
Can somebody post nik video link again?
nik39 3:53 AM - 12 November, 2012
The video links are on the first post and they still work for me...! ;)
signs 9:02 PM - 12 November, 2012
Watchvimeo.com

HotCue, LoopRoll, Slicer, FX & Filter :)
nik39 5:57 AM - 14 November, 2012
Looks good. It's really not so easy to make the slicer sound good.
DJ Baby Raj 6:01 AM - 14 November, 2012
Good job signs, thanks for that!
signs 9:21 AM - 14 November, 2012
Thanks Nik39 & Dj Baby Raj,

yea i think i will Need a few more hours to get a bit more Feeling for the slicer :)
phatbob 12:14 PM - 14 November, 2012
Slicer sounds best with a breakbeat, preferably something quite busy.

The first track I found it sounded amazing on when I got my Twitch was the Tom Middleton remix of Rob Dougan - Clubbed To Death.
irieproductions 1:27 AM - 15 November, 2012
signs, where do you adjust the size of the slice?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:34 AM - 15 November, 2012
^Ire,

Press Slicer once = Slicing through the entire the song
Press Slicer twice = Slicing a section of a song (Looped)

Parameter1 is the "roll" size within the slicer.
Shift + Parameter2 = length of the song section you want to slice

Best way to hear the difference in using Parameter1 (slice roll) is to hold down a pad and press the Parameter1 button
irieproductions 1:38 AM - 15 November, 2012
thanks a lot, i will play with these parameters, going to read the whole manual to see what else i pick up.
Dave The One 5:13 PM - 15 November, 2012
Nice video; my DDJ SX comes tomorrow. Sold my NS6 and briefly owned and sold Twitch.
I was a big critic of the scrapey platters of the CDJ's and the S1, I'm taking a huge gamble on this unit (it doesn't appear to have scrapy platters), haven't touched one yet; slip mode, velocity sensitive pads and slicer were enough for me to warrant the purchase though. The 200.00 discount put me over the top.

Looking forward to adding this to the home remix/production audio/video studio.
irieproductions 7:19 PM - 15 November, 2012
Did anyone catch the promo video of the DJM 2000 Nexus? I dont follow much of the mixers world but seems like the embedded the slicer effect from serato into the mixer!
nik39 7:30 PM - 15 November, 2012
That slicer view is incredibly cool! Very intuitive and flexible. You are not fixed to one slicer sice/domain!
signs 10:02 PM - 15 November, 2012
Yeah. DJM2000NXS offers something what is like the slicer mode....
Watchwww.youtube.com

Controlled via that TouchScreen
Dave The One 1:39 AM - 16 November, 2012
Nexus is sick!
Dave The One 12:13 AM - 17 November, 2012
ok, ssx just arrived, quick question, did the box have any plastic adhesive on the openings up by the suitcase strap by the slots? I saw none. I just pulle the tabs back and opened it.
no plastic inside neither just wrapped in thin white foam type wrap with a piece of tape.

The only sealed plastic has what looks like a power source, USB cable and Serato video voucher and standard paper manual
VJ Justin Allen 12:17 AM - 17 November, 2012
Yep...mine was like that as well.
Dave The One 12:49 AM - 17 November, 2012
Cool! So far platter feel is definiteley stiffer than the NS6 as far as spinning back (which I won't be doing) but very fluid and smooth while scratching (which I suck at and won't do much beyond the wick wick blend) ohhh; line faders are nice and tight as is the sampler volume slider. Knobs feel nice Pitch faders a bit loose for my liking. Pads, hmmm, interesting texture, don't know yet but leaning on like very much. Overwhelmed right now; haven't plugged it in yet; still in awe; it's really not as big as I thought it was. Doesn't take up any more space than ns6 did. In fact; it fits better. Ok I won't jack this excellent thread because Nik39 did such an excellent job.

Thanks VJ!
DeezNotes 12:51 AM - 17 November, 2012
Quote:
haven't plugged it in yet

that's one of the best parts. lol
Dave The One 12:54 AM - 17 November, 2012
lol D,

One more question, I went to download the hardware manual and it says updated firmware november 2012 for download; wondering if I need to do this?
VJ Justin Allen 1:00 AM - 17 November, 2012
Yes, it will solve some issues. Look in the firmware upgrade manual to see what you should look for.
Dave The One 2:36 AM - 17 November, 2012
I'm str8 speechless. The platters are perfect. Scratching, Cueing, riding the pitch, everything. FX; myeh, doable. So far only tested on Mac OSX (10.7.5) Desktop system with the Hitachi Touro Mobile HD. I didn't have to re-analyze my songs; all cue points, everything intact. Tomorrow will be my beats laptop which Itch ran on perfectly.
nik39 7:17 PM - 19 November, 2012
Thanks Dave ;)
Dave The One 7:28 PM - 19 November, 2012
I'm a bit confused by the slice feature. Yiu can't stay on one loop and keep slice engaged fir that loop? And can you halve the timing or adjust certain slices?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 8:34 PM - 19 November, 2012
Quote:
I'm a bit confused by the slice feature. Yiu can't stay on one loop and keep slice engaged fir that loop? And can you halve the timing or adjust certain slices?

Try this:
Modes. Slicer 1 and Slicer 2 (looped)

Play with the parameter buttons

Shift+Parameter adjust the size of the domain (looped. Area 2 4 8 16 32 beats section)
Dave The One 3:06 AM - 20 November, 2012
Thanks. I'm not too much of a fan with slicer; I have perfectly beatgridded tracks and I still can't quite juggle the slices properly or segment them to my liking. Definite improvement needed for slicing. Maybe a quantize function when slip is engaged in slice mode or a general quantize function in Serato DJ. Traktor has a quantize function that works nicely.

Also i'm not feeling the on board EQ.

Still like the unit overall but i'm having some ah-huh moments....
nik39 12:27 AM - 22 November, 2012
Quote:
Definite improvement needed for slicing.

I think you need to find a few patters which sound nice. Find a good recipe and you can use it with many ingredients ;)
nik39 7:02 AM - 27 November, 2012
"Also i'm not feeling the on board EQ."

Dave, what's wrong with the EQs?
irieproductions 12:49 PM - 27 November, 2012
i just started playing with the slicer and boy it's harder to come up with good sounding patterns and choosing the right place of the track to use it. Definitely underestimated this fx :| I still dont get used to know where the sounds i want are going to hit which pad.

Thumbs up to signs for his slicer demo, you nailed this art day 1.
Dave The One 1:09 PM - 27 November, 2012
The Eq's don't sound/kill as good as the NS6.

The slicer takes some getting used to.

I find that it sounds better playing with/behind a track.
A quantuze feature would be nice; Traktors doesn't let you
go off grid even if you try once quantize is engaged.

I find that it's all in where you're trying to bang the pad in the track.
I had great success using it with the yeah, yeah, parts in Rihanna's
where have you been track.
elsupermang 3:54 PM - 27 November, 2012
It'd be nice if you could use the Slicer while the song is paused. Although you could accomplish the same thing with cue points, though its nice to not to litter your tracks with temporary cue points.
dj-freestyle 4:17 PM - 27 November, 2012
The effects sound way better then ns6, night and day difference. effects for itch were almost unusable.
Dave The One 4:51 PM - 27 November, 2012
u mean fx for itch as ns6 didn't have built in fx. The eq sounded much better on ns6; I'll definitely challenge that one!
nik39 1:36 AM - 29 November, 2012
Are you sure? I thought the audio engine is the same as in itch/ns6
irieproductions 1:00 PM - 29 November, 2012
Software based EQs are the same across ITCH and Serato DJ, just like the rest of the audio engine, keylock algorithm, etc. So its just your perception imho Dave.
nik39 5:44 AM - 30 November, 2012
Maybe with ns6 the audio is mixed inside the analog mixer part. But I doubt this.
irieproductions 4:08 PM - 30 November, 2012
i had the NS6 before i purchased the DDJ-SX and it was the exact same architecture, within the software the audio is routed internally within the software, if using external inputs the audio is routed through the standalone mixer.
dj-freestyle 4:40 PM - 30 November, 2012
A website did a comparion and the ddj is louder then all the other controllers they said. By a little but it is.
Dave The One 7:57 PM - 30 November, 2012
I don't know; maybe it's me but when I killed the EQ's there was much more of a difference than I'm getting now.
nik39 8:41 PM - 1 December, 2012
You mean killing the entire signal?
Dave The One 6:42 PM - 8 December, 2012
No; the sound that leaks like when you have all knobs turned left and try to mess with the midrange, bass frequencies leak through; it's not quite like the NS6, I dunno could be me; they just don't sound the same when playing with the knobs from total kill back to each respective frequency.
dj-freestyle 12:03 AM - 9 December, 2012
There is no total kill so of course its different.
nik39 11:24 PM - 19 December, 2012
Quote:
There is no total kill so of course its different.

Gotta agree...
Dave The One 1:19 AM - 20 December, 2012
Actually there is total kill when the knobs are all to the left; it's when you try to toy with the mids or highs after total kill that let's too much of the bass leak through; I'm sure it was different with itch/ns6
radikarl 12:01 AM - 25 December, 2012
hardware mixer DDJ SX doesn't have full kills
while using Serato DJ software decks this is not relevant though as all mixing is done in software then.

mix engine should be identical between ITCH, INTRO and DJ (i can't tell a difference)

there is an option for the eq's to boost 6 db or 12 db, maybe you use one setting in ITCH and the other in Serato DJ. this could explain why they sound different for you when you
Quote:
try to toy with the mids or highs after total kill
Dave The One 12:50 AM - 25 December, 2012
ahhh ok makes sense; I no longer us itch but that makes sense.

Ummm im able to get 100 percent kill with ddj sx/Serato DJ.
Dave The One 12:56 AM - 25 December, 2012
Quote:
The effects sound way better then ns6, night and day difference. effects for itch were almost unusable.

Hit slice button twice and it loops current selection while slicing the loop; the track is not in play as in regular slice mode; it freezes on that loop until you press slice again; then it's in regular slice mode. Yiu can also change the slices to trigger at 1/4,1/8,1/6 etc...
Dave The One 12:58 AM - 25 December, 2012
Quote:
It'd be nice if you could use the Slicer while the song is paused. Although you could accomplish the same thing with cue points, though its nice to not to litter your tracks with temporary cue points.

woops sorry I quoted the wrong post above this post
nik39 12:18 PM - 1 January, 2013
Quote:
Actually there is total kill when the knobs are all to the left; it's when you try to toy with the mids or highs after total kill that let's too much of the bass leak through; I'm sure it was different with itch/ns6

Did you have a chance to compare the sounds?
nik39 10:20 AM - 6 January, 2013
Dave?
Dave The One 2:52 PM - 6 January, 2013
Compare what sounds?

NS6 is gone; I am living happily with my DDJ SX.
nik39 9:25 PM - 27 January, 2013
Oh, sorry.

Do you regret getting the DDJ SX now that you know about the NS7-MK2?
Dave The One 10:03 PM - 27 January, 2013
Not at all. The top center panel of the DDJ-SX for Serato DJ control is much more logically laid out. The dual deck mode is also exclusive to the DDJ SX as is the slip mode.

Besides the above DDJ SX exclusive features, the NS7 II only has moving platters which I don't care for and I Imagine most other CDJ users wouldn't either. The NS7 II is a great upgrade to a solid controller but in no way does it eclipse the masterpiece that Pioneer has with the DDJ-SX
irieproductions 12:53 AM - 29 January, 2013
i don't regret it. i mean i envy the feel of motorized platters and the tight response but i forget that everytime i carry my ddj-sx on my odyssey softbag like a champ. love slip mode, love dual deck, love teh granular control of the fx by having multiple adjustable parameters, my only complaint is having the pitch slider too close to the jog wheel but i am getting used to it.
nik39 5:25 PM - 9 February, 2013
It's still quite heavy... Don't you think?
nik39 9:51 AM - 19 February, 2013
How do you like the latest update?
Dave The One 2:46 PM - 19 February, 2013
Nothing useful for me, I'll stay with 1.1
dj-freestyle 3:22 PM - 19 February, 2013
@DAVE, it has fixes for some issues so might be good to update if just for the bug fixes
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:30 PM - 19 February, 2013
Yea, curious if anyone is using it. Just saw today that it was released.
dj-freestyle 3:42 PM - 19 February, 2013
i like it. it has cont play now.
Dave The One 3:46 PM - 19 February, 2013
I'll get to it at some point; each version has been rock solid; I haven't had any bugs.
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:52 PM - 19 February, 2013
Quote:
i like it. it has cont play now.

I saw that.

I haven't had any issues except for a drop out when turning on the FX button. Ill probably download it sometime this week as it looks like they made some other drop out/stability improvements could help in the long run.
Dj Nyce 5:58 PM - 19 February, 2013
and with this new update you can no longer play with me any more. My mother said so.
nik39 10:54 AM - 5 March, 2013
Why is the cont play so important for you guys? Just curious.
nik39 12:00 AM - 5 June, 2013
Quote:
Why is the cont play so important for you guys? Just curious.

It has been added... but why is it so important?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:15 AM - 5 June, 2013
I would rather pay for a karaoke plug in ;)

at least i know some will actually use it :D
nik39 1:20 PM - 28 June, 2013
Karaoke? Do people (except you ;) ) still do this?
DjTom-i 5:58 PM - 28 June, 2013
omg the video is a mess.

if i turn of music its ok and interesting. but these sounds, mixed so out of sync in most situations...

to the Germans: erzähl du mir nochmal du hörst wenn die Geschwindigkeit passt. haha scheiße mir wird alles klar jetzt.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:21 PM - 28 June, 2013
Quote:
Karaoke? Do people (except you ;) ) still do this?

Big in Asia.

I do it for filler gigs and Now I am more concentrated in Mobile gigs.
I'm Filipino, we like singing, well at least my clienteles do LOL
Just another thing I can offer.
nik39 11:08 PM - 28 June, 2013
True, true... variety is good! Do you also offer "true" video?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:13 PM - 28 June, 2013
I never got into the Video Dj. but it is another option.
I know I am a bit late. But at this time i am doing ok with the gigs without video.
nik39 11:16 PM - 28 June, 2013
Hey iTom,
looks like you're still mad, cause we had this beatmatch discussion two years ago?

Quote:
omg the video is a mess.

if i turn of music its ok and interesting. but these sounds, mixed so out of sync in most situations...

Oh yeah, I explained that the first instrumental beatgrid was not set correctly. It's written in BOLD LETTERS on Youtube. Must be difficult for you to understand, huh? BTW, for the Germans: Try this one: www.ithinkispider.com
Quote:
LOL i can hold myself on my chair
nik39 11:18 PM - 28 June, 2013
Quote:
I never got into the Video Dj. but it is another option.
I know I am a bit late. But at this time i am doing ok with the gigs without video.

Nah, never too late. What I really like about the controller is that the key-lock issue is not there (like when you scratch it turns on and off the keylock when using vinyls). That's why I used it when recording this video mix:

Watchvimeo.com <- click

But I must admit I used an NS6 cause there seemed to be a platter release issue on the SX :(
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:53 AM - 29 June, 2013
Quote:

Watchvimeo.com <- click

But I must admit I used an NS6 cause there seemed to be a platter release issue on the SX :(

Nice!
stop giving me ideas! LoL

Have you tried the ddjsx at all? some has no issue with the platter some do.
As for me I have to try the gear for myself and make my own conclusion.
nik39 1:25 AM - 29 June, 2013
I think it is a firmware bug/issue. If you release the platters and give them a little nudge clockwise, all is good. If you don't then it will take a split second after you have released the platters until the track starts playing. Feels very weird and unnatural.

What do you mean whether I have tried th DDJ SX? I have been using it in the video in the first post from this thread ;)
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:45 AM - 29 June, 2013
my bad, I mis-read your post :)

Quote:
there seemed to be a platter release issue on the SX :(
DjTom-i 9:00 AM - 29 June, 2013
Yes i am Nik.

It turns out that you can not beatmatch properly but dissed me for saying that nobody is able to beatmatch to 0,1 bpm.

Nobody, really nobody can beatmatch two records to 0,1 Bpm within a Minute. Maybe a lucky shot. yes, but not everytime with every combination of two records.

You can visit me so i show you WHAT i am talking about and show you how music sounds mixed propperly, even without sync.

I am really glad i did the step to leaving this sinking rubber boat.

ALL THE SERATO PROBLEMS ARE ONLY SERATO PROBLEMS.

But dont mind Nik... I will do not post in the future here as often as i did some days ago, so you can continue telling people stories how good serato DJs are and how good manual beatmatching sounds... rofl

I have learned my lessons here and know that Serato does this not: "Serato creates world leading software
for digital DJing"

Sorry for loosing loyality to serato. But times are changing faster than Serato is able to follow...

Played my last 3 gigs already with the competitors Software and have anything i had with serato and all this stuff serato devs are refusing to releasing cause of "esoteric vinyl love flashbacks"
phatbob 10:45 AM - 29 June, 2013
Quote:
Nobody, really nobody can beatmatch two records to 0,1 Bpm within a Minute. Maybe a lucky shot. yes, but not everytime with every combination of two records.

ROFL

Quote of the week!
phatbob 11:00 AM - 29 June, 2013
I can't do X.

Therefore X is impossible.

FACT.
nik39 9:30 PM - 5 May, 2023
Quote:
Hey guys,

I have recorded a 10-min quick-live set using the Pioneer DDJ-SX with Serato DJ 1.0. to introduce and demonstrate some of the key functions.

This is NOT a full product demonstration, this is NOT a "look-ma.. I can scratch" video (I am not a turntablist ;) ).

It is live mix, it is fun (at least I enjoyed recording it), :) and it is imperfect. It is meant to give a few ideas about what you *could* do. By intention the mixes/cuts/transitions are kept short because I wanted to show as much as possible without making the entire mix too long (It is already 11 minutes)

I was using one Canon beginners cam, one mobile phone cam (Galaxy Note), one Dell laptop's built in webcam and a MacBook facetime cam (unfortunately I deleted that angle by accident)). it is using videos with different quality. Plus I stupidly forgot to record from SDJ internally :-D Anyway, I was too lazy to re-record.

Anyway.. enough disclaimers - here we go:

Youtube Link:
Watchwww.youtube.com

Vimeo Link:
Watchvimeo.com

Feel free to comment and/or to ask questions.

Wohoo... I'm about to clean up my storage with all the gear I am not using anymore (don't worry, I'm still Djing 😄), and I've stumbled across this post.

It was one of the first videos demoing some of the key features of the Pioneer DDJ SX1. Dope unit at that time!

Some grids were not set correctly - next time, they'll be better 👂🏾 😄This was my first multi-angle video 📹 - back then, this was not that easy - I didn't have a lot of filming gear back then ;)

The original video on Youtube had over 200.000 plays after about half of year! 😲 That was an incredible number for me and still is - nowadays you have so many sites posting gear review. It's tough to stand out I guess, unless you're Mojaxx and DJ City ☺️ Props to them!

What's interesting STEMS/multi-layer songs (can't remember the right term for it now) 😜 Well you could link up two songs to the same platter. So link the acapella and the instrumental, then you could separate the voice and the instrumental and play with them.

From what I remember it was one of the first devices which supported that feature. Kudos to Serato and Pioneer for seeing the future back then.

Anyway... back to the story of the video: After 6 months YT took the video down to copyright claims from the labels 😭 (yeah yeah... I know, these are not my tracks - However I was using them to demo the unit and show some features which you couldn't do with other controllers and esp vinyl (I am a die hard vinyl fan ;) ).

The Vimeo link is still up however :) enjoy - Esp the funny remarks 😅

Watchvimeo.com
nik39 9:31 PM - 5 May, 2023
Watchvimeo.com <- click.
nik39 9:32 PM - 5 May, 2023
Damned it... where is the edit function when you need it :-D

Watchvimeo.com <---- click here - really, no baiting ;)
DjSyndic8 3:31 AM - 6 May, 2023
nik39

Nice Demo bro didnt know this thread that old
nik39 2:33 PM - 12 May, 2023
Quote:
Nice Demo bro didnt know this thread that old

Haha, no worries - I'm a forum vet! My forum user id is still two digits ;)