Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

mixer settings

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-S1
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
forsythe 6:54 PM - 5 November, 2012
PLease can somebody tell me what is the best way to set a mixer so that when you fade in another song or when mixing it mixes very soft no too arsh.

you are free to use a screenshot to explain it.

thanks
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:11 AM - 9 November, 2012
Hey forsythe,

It largely depends on your mixing style and whether you use the crossfader and/or upfaders.

Generally speaking, if you are going for a smooth transition you will want to make the fader curves longer/slower.

There is more information about how to adjust the faders on your controller in the DDJ-S1 on page 31: www.pioneerelectronics.com

Let me know how you go :)
forsythe 7:19 PM - 10 November, 2012
Thanks for the answer. another question, does serato itch has a master volume? i need to increase the volume on itch so that the louder it gets the more i can adjust accordingly on my main set.

Thanks
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:15 AM - 14 November, 2012
No, there isn't a master volume in the ITCH software, you would want to use the master volume on your DDJ-S1 unit for this.
forsythe 11:44 PM - 14 November, 2012
hi there, how do you record on ddjs1 as the recording volume is very very low.

thanks
Serato, Support
Martin C 5:42 AM - 15 November, 2012
You could probably bump the recording volume up by adjusting the recording gain.

Check out this section in the manual: serato.com
forsythe 12:59 AM - 20 November, 2012
i had the volume gain on serato to the fullest st ill abit low. Any other suggestions pls.
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:53 AM - 20 November, 2012
What about your channel/deck volumes of the tracks you are playing? Are at a moderate level?

If it still failing to get as loud as your prefer, you could run a cable from one of your master outputs to your computers soundcard and use 3rd party recording software like Audacity? : audacity.sourceforge.net
forsythe 5:57 PM - 28 November, 2012
ok thanks, normally i use soundforge after recording to normalise and also boost the volume up for a better sound production.
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:28 AM - 29 November, 2012
Thats cool, so does that help have the volume reach the desired value?

Otherwise I am not sure there is anyway to get more volume in the internal recording function of ITCH if the gain volume is all the way up.
forsythe 4:56 PM - 4 December, 2012
sure definately, soundforge is one of the best software out there. pls how do you cancel the jog wheel illumination light?
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:48 AM - 5 December, 2012
Not as far as I know, have you seen it done before? I could not find anything about it in the DDJ-S1 manual: www.pioneerelectronics.com
forsythe 7:42 PM - 8 December, 2012
pls help me on this one, sometimes when i play at parties some of my clients do come up to me to put the volume up more. But i'm always cautious in playing on the red. pls any suggestions?
Serato, Support
Martin C 7:44 AM - 9 December, 2012
Exactly, don't push your channel gains further into the red. Turn up the master volume on the unit, or turn up the sound system that your controller is connected to :)
forsythe 11:06 PM - 9 December, 2012
but sometimes when i turn up the master volume it hits the red. any other suggestions?
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:36 AM - 10 December, 2012
Where exactly are you referring to it hitting the red? A mixing desk? Or on the DDJ-S1 unit?

Turning up the master volume on the DDJ-S1 will affect the two LED strips in the very middle, so you would only want these to occasionally be hitting the red. The same goes for each channel trim.

Beyond that, you should only turn up the mixing desk/sound system controls. Any more adjustment on your DDJ-S1 will provide unnecessary distortion.

Also, if you are using the RCA output on the unit, perhaps try using the XLR outputs? You will need a power supply connected for this.
forsythe 5:26 PM - 13 December, 2012
XLR output is it louder than the RCA output? and also to play out at a party how did you set your headroom? what was the adjustment on is it -6 or -3. please help me with the settings so that i don't need to do anymore adjustment to the unit. i need a permanent settings for this unit.
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:58 AM - 14 December, 2012
The XLR output at the very least will be a cleaner signal, so in theory you should be able to gain some perceived loudness, I recommend giving it a shot!

Less headroom results in louder output, but has a higher chance of the limiter engaging, especially when more than one audio channels are in the mix. With the initial headroom setting of 0dB you can apply 3dB of gain per deck before you hit the limiter.

I would personally leave it at the default setting of -3dB, but have your amplifier/system that you are connecting to, boost the volume.
forsythe 7:03 PM - 14 December, 2012
i don't use amplifiers i use active speakers. so tell me which one is better.
forsythe 9:36 PM - 14 December, 2012
pls how do you set the gains to be permanent cos fiddling with the gains when playing is a bit of a pain.
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:23 PM - 14 December, 2012
Quote:
i don't use amplifiers i use active speakers. so tell me which one is better.

I don't think I could say either is "better" its probably more about whats suitable for the job. So if you use active speakers, and you want more volume, turn the active speakers up.

If everything on the DDJ-S1 and the active speakers is fairly maxed out (but not in the red) then you simply can't get any more volume (unless you want distortion.) If this is the case then you'll want a better sound system.

Auto Gain can help you if you have it enabled in the setup screen: serato.com but ultimately adjusting gains and volume levels to be suitable and relative is just part of what a DJ should be doing. Auto Gain is a tool to help make this easier, but it can't always be relied upon, the best tool you have is your ears.
forsythe 10:01 AM - 15 December, 2012
thanks alot it actually make sense, i'm just curious thats all.
forsythe 10:01 AM - 15 December, 2012
thanks alot it actually make sense, i'm just curious thats all.
forsythe 10:06 AM - 15 December, 2012
PLease another question just wanted to be sure. What position was your crossfader set to for a smoother mix. Is it the cross position or what?
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:05 PM - 16 December, 2012
If you are purely mixing with the crossfader, you would probably want to set your crossfader setting to the middle setting (looks like an X) which is right above the crossfader.

There is further adjustment in the setup screen of ITCH, then in the mixer tab.

There are two different crossfader setting adjustments there, the left one is the "power crossfader curve adjustment" which will correspond to the middle setting on your controller (the one I mentioned before.) I would probably adjust this so it is sitting at 12 oclock.

The right hand one is the "linear crossfader curve adjustment" which corresponds to the right hand setting on your DDJ-S1.

Its really about experimenting to find what works with your style of mixing. You will see in the setup screen you can also adjust the curve of your channel upfaders too which might help.

Check out this little section in the manual: serato.com

Also, really good tip, if you want to know more about anything in ITCH, you should use the tooltips, if you click on the little question mark next to the SETUP button, it will activate tooltips. Now when you hover over features in the main screen or setup screen, it will show a little box with further detail about what it does :)

Hope that helps!
forsythe 11:12 PM - 16 December, 2012
Thanks a million i really appreciate your effort and time in answering all my questions.
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:16 PM - 16 December, 2012
No worries dude! Can I close this discussion up for now?

You are more than welcome to reopen at anytime if you have any other questions though :)
forsythe 11:46 PM - 16 December, 2012
yeah sure i sure will come back.
forsythe 8:04 PM - 23 December, 2012
when you cue a track from the beginning and you want to play the exact cue track next time you play how do you save the cue point on your serato itch for next time.
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:10 AM - 25 December, 2012
Hey forsythe,

Just to clarify, next time you load the track, you would want to be able trigger from that point, or you want it to load from that point?

If you want to be able to trigger from that point in the track, you can make a cuepoint by using your controller. Just press any of the numbers 1-5 down the left hand side of each of your decks/platters.

If you want to have it always jump from the first cue point in the song, there is a feature in the SETUP screen. Just click on the "Playback" tab when you are in the setup, and then enable "Play from first cue point." This means when you first load a track it will jump straight to that cue point, however you will have to have at least one cuepoint made.

I hope this makes sense. Check out the manual for more info on cuepoints: serato.com
4:00 AM, 8 Jan 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
forsythe 4:32 PM - 16 March, 2013
hi there, i use a ddjs1 with serato itch and i was told that i can now updrade to serato DJ. Please can you confirm if this is true, and also when can i start upgrading.

thanks
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:08 PM - 16 March, 2013
Hey Forsythe,

No, you can't upgrade the DDJ-S1 just yet, but it isn't too far off. I can't tell you exactly when but as long as you are subscribed to our mailing list you will be notified as soon as it is released.

Thanks.
forsythe 9:17 AM - 22 October, 2013
Hello there please how do i loop a song at the end of a song. I use ddjs1 with serato dj 1.5.
Serato, Support
Micah G. 3:08 AM - 24 October, 2013
Hey forsythe,

Have a look at the Serato DJ 1.5 manual here - serato.com

Information on looping is from page 37 to page 40 :-)

Cheers,
Micah
8:05 AM, 7 Nov 2013
forsythe 8:06 PM - 15 January, 2014
Please how do i copy all my serato dj music from my computer to an external hard drive.
i have arrange all my songs on serato dj and i also have subcrates on serato dj as well, how can i copy it exactly how it was on my serato dj to an external hard drive.
Serato, Support
Micah G. 1:13 AM - 16 January, 2014
Hey forsythe,

Follow the steps here - serato.com

Cheers,
Micah
8:00 AM, 30 Jan 2014
8:01 AM, 6 Mar 2014