DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Just Wondering... Transform Effect - why not???

iKutZ 8:47 AM - 8 May, 2008
Seems like it would be the simplist effect to impliment into the ttm and it aint there... just wondering why?
boabmatic 10:00 AM - 8 May, 2008
do you mean transform switches? if you do then press down on the joystick (like a push button) and it will turn the joystick into a transform switch.

in the set-up menu you can define what position is the on or off state.

press down on it again to return it into 'serato' mode state.
iKutZ 10:30 AM - 8 May, 2008
Nope, I'm on about an actual transform effect, BPM synced preferably similair to DJM range (or infact most mixres with effects).

Im missing this from my 800
nobspangle 12:57 PM - 8 May, 2008
I've always found the transform on the DJM series a bit of a damp squid. I like the idea but it's never perfectly in time with the playing track.
It might work better on the 57 as the BPM is calculated and linked to the speed of the track rather than guessed at by the mixer as is the case with the DJM.
iKutZ 1:32 PM - 8 May, 2008
Quote:
It might work better on the 57 as the BPM is calculated and linked to the speed of the track rather than guessed at by the mixer as is the case with the DJM.

That is exactly what I thought and can't work out why this hasn't been included. I know that allot of people find it difficult to keep exact time with the effect but there are ways. I play allot of electronic music and I find it a very useful tool for effects scratching similair to Zabiela and alike...

Watchwww.youtube.com (me doing it live at 55seconds).

There's a trick of riding the time parameter and doing slight pitch adjustment on the track (same as beatmatching just with effects). Also there's tempo syncing aswell e.g. (in the video example) set track to 150bpm which works out at .400 sec per beat (60/150) and so you can set your bpm of the effect at that time e.g. .200 sec half beat .100 quarter e.t.c.

Very easy to use when you get your head round it and I can't be assed hearing its a cheats way of scratching as, yes it is but it works effectively if done properly. But yes would be much easier to do with ttm having exact bpm values.
cappinkirk 8:42 PM - 15 May, 2008
i have my transformer set up with every other box on or off so if I have the switch in transform mode I can turn it in a circle for 4 on and 4 off kuts. does anyone else do this?
iKutZ 12:29 PM - 16 May, 2008
yes i do that aswell. I setup all for corners as kills and make a circular action to get the sound cutting.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 2:17 PM - 17 May, 2008
I've got an idea. how about learining how to transform instead. Not to sound negative or anything, but some of you guys want everything too easy nowadays. This is why the DJ biz is starting to get flooded with talentless undercutters. Remember, being a DJ is an artform. Learn and practice the art stop looking for easy shortcuts. You'll be better off in the long run.

Just my opinion. Like I said before I'm not trying to be negative in your post
cappinkirk 10:48 PM - 17 May, 2008
Just because you said you're not trying to be negative twice doesn't mean you are not being negative.
cappinkirk 10:50 PM - 17 May, 2008
old style transform cutting is probably the most played out skratch ever in my opinion. I think that anything somebody can do to reinvent it is a good idea.
Djgambin0 6:03 PM - 18 May, 2008
It's all about flares, orbits, crabs and the like now. Starting with the fader open is a way cooler scratch anyway. Get a q-bert scratch vid to learn these if you need help.
DJSantero 8:15 PM - 18 May, 2008
While you lot all wondered why there wasn't a machine doing your DJing for you, I learnt how to transform like a bad ass, and ended up playing with Zabiela in Ministry last night ;-)

But in all seriousness, I'm not mad keen on things like this being introduced into Serato - what I like about it is that if I mess up, I mess up, if there's a scratch, then its me doing the scratch; once you start introducing automated things like this then you may as well go the whole hog and set up on Mixmeister and let the computer mix everything for you too.

And transforming played out? If you think that then you are transforming wrong - along with chirps its one of the most effective and funky of all scratches. Flares and crabs are great as part of flashy combos, but very often the more simple old skool scratches done well sound way better in a live setting, unless you're in a DJ battle or something. Spinbad is a prime example - I'd rather hear him on the scratch than any number of new-skool triple-click-twirp-orbit merchants. The basics are the foundation of any scratch palette.

That said, if it does get introduced then the suckers that couldn't be bothered to learn their skills will settle for it, while the hard working DJs will use it as a platform to climb to the next level. I don't mean to sound bitchy, but as has been said, I think there is a worrying trend towards automation in DJing - if you want to get anywhere, you need to put in the work and learn the skills, in the long term you'll reap the benefits - people last night were absolutely fascinated by what I was doing on the decks, as they've obviously become so used to DJs turning up and phoning in CDJ performances.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 11:28 AM - 19 May, 2008
Quote:
old style transform cutting is probably the most played out skratch ever in my opinion. I think that anything somebody can do to reinvent it is a good idea.

OK then, reinvent it by taking it to the next level not by having a machine do it for you
cappinkirk 6:20 PM - 19 May, 2008
DJ Dynamite learn how to spell. Your profile says to check you out on mypace.com.

DJ Santero you need to insert some text. Your myspace says "PUT YOUR BIO SECTION HERE! Changes may take up to 2 mins to show on your profile"

Anyway I was just making a comment. Transforming is the oldest skratch ever. If you guys wanna have a transformer skratch battle you'll get folded up like a janky autobot. I been transformin since you were suckin your mothers l1mp d1ck.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 6:30 PM - 19 May, 2008
WOW, thanks for informing me about the typo Mr. Perfect...lol
The same way you were making a comment, I was also making a comment. Don't take it to heart like I was insulting you. No need to get all defensive and start bringing mothers into this. Grow up, this is a "forum" for "opinions".
cappinkirk 8:57 PM - 19 May, 2008
i'm just clowning you, not taking it personal. please don't take me too seriously on this forum.
DJSantero 10:36 PM - 19 May, 2008
Quote:
I been transformin since you were suckin your mothers l1mp d1ck.

Lol. Well I've played with Jazzy Jeff, Grandmaster Flash, Cash Money, Afrika Bambaata, Ice T, Public Enemy, Jeru The Damaja, Rahzel, The Roots, The Scratch Perverts, DJ Craze, The Beat Junkies, The X-Ecutioners, and pretty much every worthwhile scratch DJ from the last 15 years. I now play mostly house stuff, and being good on the scratch has opened a lot of doors. Transforming isn't played out - like I said, you won't win battles with it, but when done right its a bloody great scratch, and the idea that its played out is absurd. Sure, the bog-standard idiot-transform sounds like crap, but a good transform is a basic skill any decent scratch DJ should have in their arsenal. Having a machine automatically do it will simply lead to more DJs sounding the same in all likelihood.

And why shouldn't we take you seriously on this forum? Are we supposed to look you up and have a nice chat over tea and biscuits? Maybe keep the insults to the playground eh?

Re myspace, I didn't realise anyone went on their any more! I can't be arsed to update my page, but I should really I suppose. Maybe tomorrow...
cappinkirk 1:28 PM - 20 May, 2008
WOW! I didn't realize you're a BIG DOG!!!
cappinkirk 1:52 PM - 20 May, 2008
btw DJ Santero I tried to add you as a friend and your Flash based friend-adder doesn't work. You might want to fix that or you might be missing out on new fans.
DJSantero 10:21 PM - 20 May, 2008
Quote:
WOW! I didn't realize you're a BIG DOG!!!

I'm not trying to brag or act the big shot - just pointing out that just cos you've been doing something for a long time it doesn't make yours the only expert opinion. Yeah, a few people have mentioned that isn't working this last week or so, so will prob go fix that some time.

But getting back to the point - for me the whole point of Serato is that it facilitates, not automates. Once it starts doing stuff for you, then I think thats a slippery slope. Although I suppose you could argue cue points and auto-bpm is doing that to a small degree already, but actually doing cuts for you while you drag the record back and forward, well I think that would be incredibly lame.
cappinkirk 2:48 AM - 21 May, 2008
I agree that it is lame and not nearly as soulful a a real transform kut but I think that the 57 should still be able to do crazy stuff like that. Maybe some next gen DJ will find something else to do with it besides just cheating on a transform kut.

It is an effect used in other professional mixers so it's not a totally bad idea for Rane to incorporate it.
iKutZ 7:43 PM - 24 May, 2008
Quote:
I've got an idea. how about learining how to transform instead

I knew that this post would spark these kinda comments and sure I'm all for transforming the "real way" and not "cheating" but there are so many ways of using a transform effect in a way thats so far away scratching. E.g. using it to gate a chord over some other music or in conjunction with another effect that requires the use of both hands eg transform effect on scratch on one hand and modulate a phaser or flange with another.

Why the hell should there be a stigma against breaking the mold a little bit and actually utilising what you have at your disposal. I'm all for showing your raw talent and im quite capable of a simple constant transform, (admittedly im a bit beaten with quick 3clicker flares, and Autobahns). If you look at my little demo before using the transform effect I proved I could scratch and I dare say most using scratchlive are at least somewhat proficiant in the art but if you can add somthing else why the hell not. Purists to scratching and hiphop turntablism shouldn't be preaching what people in other genres are doing just because its modern. If they were true purists, lets face it they wouln't even be using Serato. How about we all go back to using a gramaphone.

Im mearly asking why there isn't a particular effect on a capable piece of music hardware that may or may not enhance electronic artists sets! Just like a gate on a synth or a quick arpegiator on a sequencer. but put a transform effect on a mixer, Gasp Shock horror...
nik39 2:13 PM - 25 May, 2008
Quote:
If you look at my little demo before using the transform effect I proved I could scratch

True.