Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

how can i get jog wheel to slow/speed by touch side of when while in vinyl mode

djrocktee 10:20 AM - 4 November, 2012
how do i get jog wheel to slow down and speed up when i am trying to get deck to meet pitch of other deck. i know cdj's while in vinyl mode will slow down / speed up when i touch side of jog wheel..
Shumi 12:39 PM - 4 November, 2012
It's basicly the same on the sx.
PlugBeta 12:58 PM - 4 November, 2012
Hello Rocktee,

If I'm understanding your question correctly, you basically answered your own question - rotating the jog wheel using the outer lip (Non aluminum) will speed up / slow down the track.

Hope this helped!
djrocktee 4:26 PM - 4 November, 2012
when i touch the top of jog wheel in vinyl mode yes the track will stop like a cdj. when i touch side of wheel like a cdj the speed (pitch) is not affected like it with a cdj...?
PlugBeta 5:07 PM - 4 November, 2012
Yes, it is - well - it should be. Rotating the jog wheel from the outer lip should adjust your tempo and pitch.
DJ/Vj Paul Surreal 12:26 AM - 5 November, 2012
Quote:
when i touch the top of jog wheel in vinyl mode yes the track will stop like a cdj. when i touch side of wheel like a cdj the speed (pitch) is not affected like it with a cdj...?
I had this same issue. My DDJ-SX was not pitch bending while using the outside ring of the platter like it does with my CDJs. I actually returned mine and am waiting for a replacement DDJ-SX. Does anyone else have this issue?
Dj Nyce 1:54 AM - 5 November, 2012
is it in vinyl mode?
DJ/Vj Paul Surreal 2:15 AM - 5 November, 2012
Yes. Also, when I wasn't in vinyl mode the jog wheel had no effect on the pitch at all.
djrockwell 4:49 AM - 5 November, 2012
the pitch bend? it works on mine but it takes a lot of rotation
DJ/Vj Paul Surreal 2:41 PM - 5 November, 2012
Correct. My unit had absolutely no pitch bend response. My new one will be here Wednesday.
Shumi 7:31 PM - 5 November, 2012
Mine works, but i have to rotate waay stronger than in comparison to a cdj, is this normal?
Asu 7:47 PM - 5 November, 2012
haven't got mine yet but could it be related to the senstivity setting? if not hope they fix this in another firmware update...should be a big issue when trying to beatmatch then...
Shumi 8:08 PM - 5 November, 2012
Nope, tried, touch sensor level has nothing to do with it.
Qoolee Kid 9:46 PM - 5 November, 2012
could it be your jog wheel sensitivity?
dj-freestyle 9:47 PM - 5 November, 2012
Ya i barely have to move mine to speed up or slow down. Sounds like maybe controller has some issues or soemthing
RomeBands 2:19 AM - 6 November, 2012
U only can slow/speed down by cutting the vinyl mode off.
Asu 2:02 PM - 6 November, 2012
Quote:
Ya i barely have to move mine to speed up or slow down. Sounds like maybe controller has some issues or soemthing

Glad to hear its not a universal problem

Quote:

so basically you're saying all these complaints point to user error? not a controller issue?

let me know thanks :-)
DeeJay Mark 5:24 PM - 6 November, 2012
The platters looks like CDJs but does not respond to pitch bend the same. As a DJ
this a crucial to keep the mixes tight. Pioneer provided platter sentivity adjust but not torque adjust which maybe the fix for this.
dj-freestyle 5:28 PM - 6 November, 2012
I think the pitch bend is better
RomeBands 7:15 PM - 6 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Glad to hear its not a universal problem

Quote:

so basically you're saying all these complaints point to user error? not a controller issue?

let me know thanks :-)

Yea. If you cut vinyl mode off, then turn the jogwheel ,it will slow or speed the song up. So yea user mistake.
Asu 8:12 PM - 6 November, 2012
Quote:
Yea. If you cut vinyl mode off, then turn the jogwheel ,it will slow or speed the song up. So yea user mistake.
Quote:

Thanks for this tip,had me worried there for a moment :-)
Asu 8:13 PM - 6 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for this tip,had me worried there for a moment :-)
DjCity 8:42 PM - 6 November, 2012
That's some B.S.

What mode you use (Vinyl or not) should have nothing to do with pitch bending via the outside platter.

You should NOT have to turn vinyl off!!!

If this is a problem some are having... IT'S A PROBLEM!!! IT'S NOT USER ERROR!!!
dj-freestyle 9:53 PM - 6 November, 2012
You dont have to turn vinly off to pitch bend on the outside of the platerr.
Asu 2:26 AM - 7 November, 2012
Quote:
You dont have to turn vinly off to pitch bend on the outside of the platerr.

Thats what i know from regular CDJs.So u think it could be a firmware or Hardware problem then for some DDJ-SXs?
nik39 12:40 PM - 7 November, 2012
Vinyl mode on and Pitch bend at the same time works fine for me.
viper9711 7:00 PM - 7 November, 2012
Me too, works fine
Asu 8:37 PM - 7 November, 2012
Quote:
Vinyl mode on and Pitch bend at the same time works fine for me.

Quote:
Me too, works fine

good to know...thx
DJ/Vj Paul Surreal 8:59 PM - 7 November, 2012
Seems like my new unit works. Still not as responsive as my CDJ, but workable.
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:52 PM - 7 November, 2012
Hey djrocktee,

Are you still having this issue?
djrocktee 9:00 PM - 8 November, 2012
yes, i'm still havin issue.. again.. platter is top responsive in vinyl mode like a cdj but when tryin to slow/speed platter buy touchin side like a turntable is does not respond like it does on cdjs or turntable...
nik39 11:52 PM - 8 November, 2012
You have to touch and move the platter of course!
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:35 PM - 13 November, 2012
I can't seem to reproduce the issue you speak of djrocktee, have you made sure to move the side of the platter?
djrocktee 6:57 PM - 14 November, 2012
yes of coarse i have tried to move the side of the platter in vinyl mode. ddj does not slow/speed up same feel as cdj 800 or 1000 by touching side of wheel...
Gilbz 12:36 AM - 15 November, 2012
Mine works in both mode Vinyl or not. It does needs some hefty spinning forward or backwards to work though.
Maybe needs tweaking in a new firmware update
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:57 AM - 15 November, 2012
Maybe its not quite as accurate as a CDJ 800 or 1000, but it does still actually work for you right?

Can anyone else confirm this? I know there is definitely further improvements that will be made in forthcoming firmware updates.
DeeJayFanatic 4:24 AM - 15 November, 2012
Pitch bend works for me when moving the side of the platters in vinyl mode. Just extremely gradual.

I do hope there is an update to make it more sensitive. I too find it to not be like the cdj's.
DJ De Leon 5:22 AM - 15 November, 2012
Originally when I pitched bend using the outside of the platter a slight turn moved the beat way to fast. After I did a firmware upgrade it allowed me to move the outside platter more gradually to pitch bend.

After updating the firmware I now have a new problem while working in non-viynly mode and pause mode on. The platters are now very slow when searching a song. It takes me 4 turns of the platter to move to the next beat.

I tired opening a trouble ticket with Pioneer but the phone disconnected.

Here is their number

1-800-228-7221

Hopefully Pioneer will release a new firmware.

John
nik39 6:38 AM - 15 November, 2012
Personally I like it the way it is right now.
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:18 AM - 16 November, 2012
So is this really a matter of the jog wheel not working correctly, or is this more a personal preference thing to have the jog wheel comparable to a CDJ or not?

If this is the case, it may well be possible that its current implementation was intended, but like anything if the majority of users would prefer it to be more like their favorite CDJ, there is no reason why it couldn't change in the future.
DJ Boom Bap 1:24 AM - 16 November, 2012
I like it this way also
DeeJayFanatic 1:39 AM - 16 November, 2012
I would say its a personal preference and not any hardware or software bug...

It would be nice to have the ability to adjust the sensitivity through the the software though.
Gilbz 11:19 AM - 21 November, 2012
Something I just found out regarding the bitch bend on the SX

I had to rotate the outer ring quite considerably to get the bpm to match, slowing down or speeding up both ways you have to almost spin the platter.

Now I've just changed the Audio settings in Serato and the platter is now very responsive, way better.
I've changed the USB BUFFERSIZE (LATENCY) from 512 to 128.

I did try 64 but was getting audio glitches, so far the 128 (5ms) is working very well and the platter is so much more responsive.
Gilbz 11:20 AM - 21 November, 2012
Oh cr4p!

Was meant to write 'Pitch bend', not bitch lol! (wrong forum haha!!)
Shumi 5:54 PM - 21 November, 2012
Quote:
Something I just found out regarding the bitch bend on the SX

Now I've just changed the Audio settings in Serato and the platter is now very responsive, way better.
I've changed the USB BUFFERSIZE (LATENCY) from 512 to 128.

Very good point, makes a HUGE difference, thank you Gilbz!
caliguy 6:21 PM - 21 November, 2012
Quote:
Personally I like it the way it is right now.

I just hope any new firmware update improves the current feel but doesn't change the feel of the platters.

Heres why:
1- Right now I have the sensitivity very low, so that I can actually pitch bend by gently touching the top of the platter and moving forward IN VINYL MODE without having to use the side of the platter.
2- Because its in low sensitivity (apx 8:45 position) I dont have to worry about completely stopping the music if I brush the top of the platter by accident.
3- The way the DDJ-SX pitch behaves right now, I can actually ride the pitch slide the same way I do on a Technics 1200 to match the beat of the other deck with the only difference being that the DDJ-SX is more fine tuned on the pitch ride and requires less over adjustment.
4- I actualy can adjust the sensitivity to give me a virtual Technics 1200 feeling, so i have to use the same amount of pressure that I use to grab the record.

If they change the platter feel to too tight or too accurate, then it no longer will feel like turntables, it will fell like every other damn controller with no life to the jog wheels!!!!!!
caliguy 8:08 PM - 21 November, 2012
Correction: On my left deck Im at 8:55 more or less, not 8:45 and on my right deck im at 9.
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:22 PM - 21 November, 2012
i just had a play on one of these and the jog wheels are RANK way way to stiff IMPOSSIBLE to do a back spin as it hardly moves plus soon as you let go of jog wheel it stops so no back spins also it hardly picks up well that you have even touched it and i tried all the jog senc settings. My VCI-380 jog wheel pisses allover this pioneer BIG TIME!!!! Defo needs some software and firmware improvements on the jogs. but i do like the rest of the controller. and the outer pitch bend did seem fine to me was more the scratch mode that was shocking.

How does the back spin and scratch mode always activating work for others? USB Buffer was on 10.
caliguy 7:21 AM - 22 November, 2012
Quote:
i just had a play on one of these and the jog wheels

Is the firmare updated on your DDJ-SX. Big difference from old to new firmware.
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:46 AM - 22 November, 2012
Yes and it made a difference just a LONG way togo untill it is any good.
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:58 AM - 23 November, 2012
Hey guys,

It seems like this has really come down to an issue of preference, and you guys are welcome to discuss the "feel" of the platters, but I don't think I can be of any more assistance here.

2:58 AM, 23 Nov 2012
Discussion moved to Serato DJ General Discussion
dj-freestyle 3:47 PM - 24 November, 2012
Sure you can martin, what day is next update coming, Sorry i had to. It was to much fun to type. Wait let me answer, As soon as its ready. lol lol lol lol.
DeeJayFanatic 5:05 PM - 24 November, 2012
I changed my latency from 10ms to 5ms and was surprised how much different the pitch bend changed. In my opinion it made it feel closer to the cdj's. I feel I don't have to move it as much to get the bend I need. I'm completely satisfied with the pitch bend at the 5ms setting.
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:02 AM - 25 November, 2012
Quote:
Sure you can martin, what day is next update coming, Sorry i had to. It was to much fun to type. Wait let me answer, As soon as its ready. lol lol lol lol.

I can't comment accurately on when firmware updates will be coming from Pioneer, but another Serato DJ update will be out pretty soon ;)
Gilbz 10:35 AM - 25 November, 2012
Before everyone complains about the pitch bend, please try what I said about about changing the latency.
2 other people have done it and have got improvements.
I used my SX last night and the bend was spot on.
dj-freestyle 4:32 PM - 25 November, 2012
@martin, thanks that was helpful more then usual.
GT 6:25 PM - 16 December, 2012
Thanks Gilbz for tip! I was hoping the latest firmware (Ver.1.02) addressed this issue, but I was still having to rotate the platter way too much too pitch bend. And it just doesn't seem right to have to use the top of the platter and turn off vinyl mode to get the SX to respond more like a turntable or CDJ. Latency setting made a big difference!
Gilbz 9:12 PM - 17 December, 2012
Cool! :)
cloudmonstr 3:56 AM - 5 March, 2013
you all know that each jog wheel has an independent sensitivity control to adjust how much effect your movement of the platter has, right? with the speed control turned all the way down i have found my ddj-sx to be about half as sensitive as my cdj-200's. (not in vinyl mode)
Jeff Sneed 4:43 PM - 7 April, 2014
What if you have the DDJ-SR, how do you make the jog wheel speed up that controller??
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:15 PM - 7 April, 2014
Have you checked out the DDJ-SR manual? I don't believe you can adjust the tension of the physical platter, but you can tweak the sensitivity to your touch.

Page 29 of this manual here: www.pioneerelectronics.com