Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Improvements for SeratoDJ

saNppa 11:09 AM - 1 November, 2012
Since I get DDJ-SX next week (someone f****d my pre-order), I could only study the offline player and here's few things that needs fixing right away. Once I get the controller, I'm quite sure, there will be more of these, but here's for starters:

1) The color coding of crates. Smart crate and common crate used to be orange and blue. Now they look way too same... even on my 17" laptop. I don't believe, this won't get better with my work laptop, which is 12,5"

2) The color coding of played and unplayed songs. Unplayeds are white and playeds turn to gray. hmm... maybe it needs to be vice versa. Thank god there's "clear unplayed tracks" @History. This will ease up for starters. What if you could set your own color codes?

3) Still no play count of songs!

4) With offline player, SDJ shows only the lenght of the song, not elapsed/remaining time.

5) Beat grid lock has vanished from player section.

6) How to drag playing song to prepare (with offline player)? Can it be done when a controller is connected? This is important and makes things faster, because never plan songs ahead and very easily change the next song. I love to live in a moment and make the best of it.

7) BPM at the player has lost the demimals. I'd like to have them BOTH back -> Better numeric detection for drifting beats. To understand the drifting beats, look for example the beat grid of "September" by EWF.

8) Additional analyzer for songs drifting beats.

9) Easter eggs on Itch, have they become features on SDJ?

PS. Just as a small interesting detail. Itch 2.1 install file is about 23Mb and SDJ's about 10Mb. What's that about? Ok, Itch has easter eggs and mappings for various controllers, but can those two alone make the difference?
radikarl 11:36 AM - 1 November, 2012
Quote:

you can ctrl +click on the symbol in the leftmost column of your library and it will turn into a lock.

Quote:
6) How to drag playing song to prepare (with offline player)? Can it be done when a controller is connected? This is important and makes things faster, because never plan songs ahead and very easily change the next song. I love to live in a moment and make the best of it.

you can drag any song into the prepare crate but if it is already on a deck, there is no point in having it in the prepare crate.

there is a hardware button "load to prepare" right under the library scroll knob

Quote:
9) Easter eggs on Itch, have they become features on SDJ?

- super filter was an easter egg, not necessary anymore now though, since there is a dedicated filter now, which sounds better.
- buffer king doesn't seem to be there.
- GUI is completely new so you won't see any gui related easter eggs coming across i guess.

Quote:
PS. Just as a small interesting detail. Itch 2.1 install file is about 23Mb and SDJ's about 10Mb. What's that about? Ok, Itch has easter eggs and mappings for various controllers, but can those two alone make the difference?

device drivers. ITCH installer needs to contain drivers for vci 300, ddjs1, twitch, ns6, ns7, v7, xone dx, denon hc 5000, twitch
saNppa 12:28 PM - 1 November, 2012
Quote:

- you can ctrl +click on the symbol in the leftmost column of your library and it will turn into a lock.

Thank you, but I already knew that. Point is to make the workflow faster.

Quote:

- you can drag any song into the prepare crate but if it is already on a deck, there is no point in having it in the prepare crate. there is a hardware button "load to prepare" right under the library scroll knob

There is a point! Think of it this way: Song A is already on a deck and I get the idea "song B would better choice for the next song, and may I play song A after that or later". So I just drag song A to Prepare, which much faster than hassling with keyboard and searcing it from library. After all, that's what the excellent Prepare is for. Someone who plays pre-set song lists may have hard to understand this, but I usually don't plan more than two songs ahead. I read the crowd.

Quote:

- device drivers. ITCH installer needs to contain drivers for vci 300, ddjs1, twitch, ns6, ns7, v7, xone dx, denon hc 5000, twitch

Drivers - that makes sense.
dj-freestyle 1:33 PM - 1 November, 2012
Did you click on time of song to see if it switches to time remaining? I'm guessing it does
saNppa 1:45 PM - 1 November, 2012
Quote:
Did you click on time of song to see if it switches to time remaining? I'm guessing it does

That only shows the lenght of the song, so it doesn't show even the elapsed time. I'd be happy as clam if it worked like you said.
VinnyBlanc 2:27 PM - 1 November, 2012
**Labeling of Cue points

**Smartcrates as subcrates for smartcrates
saNppa 2:59 PM - 1 November, 2012
Is Breaker-effect really gone? This isn't exactly a good news at all.
saNppa 3:59 PM - 1 November, 2012
More testing and one more flaw found. Now with song analyzing. Actually this very familiar from Itch and I've been living with this for more than two years and it really doesn't bother me, 'cos correcting beat grids is quite fast'n'easy.

Reason for posting this, on a another thread someone told, how analyzing has become more accured. Maybe or totally not. English isn't my 1st language, so I hope you understand when I say: *If the bass beat isn't exact 4/4-pounding* the analyzer might get confused. Here's few examples of songs that are systematically wrong detected:
Pitbull - Calle Ocho (extended), 127 detected as 97. (radio edit was detected right)
Kate Ryan - Je T'adore, 136 detected as 101
Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus, 130 detected as 98.

See the pattern? Near 130, about 1.3x. Reason? That is something for smarter to answer.
serkan 8:56 AM - 2 November, 2012
Quote:

- super filter was an easter egg, not necessary anymore now though, since there is a dedicated filter now, which sounds better.

You shouldn't reduce all Serato DJ controllers to the DDJ-SX :)
phatbob 11:29 AM - 2 November, 2012
Quote:
More testing and one more flaw found. Now with song analyzing. Actually this very familiar from Itch and I've been living with this for more than two years and it really doesn't bother me, 'cos correcting beat grids is quite fast'n'easy.

Reason for posting this, on a another thread someone told, how analyzing has become more accured. Maybe or totally not. English isn't my 1st language, so I hope you understand when I say: *If the bass beat isn't exact 4/4-pounding* the analyzer might get confused. Here's few examples of songs that are systematically wrong detected:
Pitbull - Calle Ocho (extended), 127 detected as 97. (radio edit was detected right)
Kate Ryan - Je T'adore, 136 detected as 101
Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus, 130 detected as 98.

See the pattern? Near 130, about 1.3x. Reason? That is something for smarter to answer.

I don't know about the Kate Ryan track, but I got those same results in Traktor with the Pitbull and Depeche Mode tracks, not just in Serato software.

The placement of the kicks throws the bpm detection off.

Out of maybe 6000 house-tempo tracks in my library, I only have maybe a dozen which don't detect correctly in that way. Wiley's Heatwave does the same in both company's programs.
Dj Wunder 2:06 AM - 8 October, 2014
Quote:

4) With offline player, SDJ shows only the lenght of the song, not elapsed/remaining time.

+1. Absolutely. I grow tired of finding these little omissions after moving over from SSL