Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

A Few Questions : 6% Pitch Range possible? and display current pitch in .00

ivan zilch 9:52 AM - 1 November, 2012
Hi there guys

I always use 6% pitch range on pioneer CDJs - i noticed that the DDJ-SX and Serato DJ only allows 8%, 16% and so on, is there a way to make it 6% so we have more control over the pitch (finer control)?

and another thing - I always do manual beatmatching so i like to see my pitch movement in 2 decimal places like in Pioneer CDJs (for example +1.22% instead of just +1.2%) is there any way to make this possible? i tried to go to the settings but there is no option like that?

for example, when you are near the centre click 0% it would be great to see where you REALLY are in the pitch (eg. on the 6% pitch range the pitch increments should be at least 0.02 so we can see if the pitch is really on the zero or if its where it is - did that make sense whatsoever?)
SH3PARD 11:28 PM - 4 December, 2012
Y HAS NOBODY ANSWERED THIS VITAL QUESTION ? ? IS THIS NOT THE PLACE TO POST THIS QUESTION ??
SH3PARD 10:22 PM - 5 December, 2012
bump
SH3PARD 7:28 AM - 6 December, 2012
dose no one here understand this issue....

or is it completely irrelevant ?
ivan zilch 7:36 AM - 6 December, 2012
i am the thread starter and i kinda get that there is no way to get this yet, which sucks

the CDJ range offers 6% / 10% / 16% /%50 etc

i would like to see this too but seems like its not happening yet

so maybe someone from pioneer or serato can comment if this will be available in the future?
SH3PARD 7:44 AM - 6 December, 2012
yes cdj's are as u say ..but this software and hardware @ 8% can read out 0.01% im shore if that other company N.I. can do it then HELL Serato can do it to as it is a better format. 1 small issue many DJ's want fixed i hope.
ivan zilch 8:02 AM - 6 December, 2012
yes i also want this fixed

at the moment i cant see where exactly the pitch is as its a bit loose and it only shows .0 in pitch range %, they should have AT LEAST .00
dj_eddie_gr 8:22 AM - 6 December, 2012
Do a search. It has been asked ,many times ;)
SH3PARD 8:24 AM - 6 December, 2012
Quote:
Do a search. It has been asked ,many times ;)

It has on the DDJ SX and Serato DJ software?
dj_eddie_gr 8:34 AM - 6 December, 2012
I don't remember for sure ,but I've seen for sure many similar threads in the past. That's why I think you don't get any response ,as you would expect. Just my opinion here.
+1 for sure ,for both ," .00 " pitch resolution & "100%" pitch range
dj_eddie_gr 8:35 AM - 6 December, 2012
...& 6% Pitch range... :)
Simon Love Carter 9:00 AM - 6 December, 2012
We are asking for a real reason. I come from ddj-s1 and even tough pitch range was 8% i found the accuracy way higher than sx+serato dj, with the sx+serato dj I have to make several asjustements during the mix to keep bmp matched....
SH3PARD 9:07 AM - 6 December, 2012
Quote:
We are asking for a real reason. I come from ddj-s1 and even tough pitch range was 8% i found the accuracy way higher than sx+serato dj, with the sx+serato dj I have to make several asjustements during the mix to keep bmp matched....

This is beggining to look like a BIG issue as far as I'm concerned ... I hope SERATO address this issue soon as its the only BUG that's stopping seamless mixing.
ivan zilch 9:21 AM - 6 December, 2012
Quote:

i think because in the ddj-sx you can see both the bpm in 2 decimal places, as well as the pitch adjustment in 2 decimal places, so its very precise

in the ddj-sx we are kinda blinded because both the bpm and the pitch slider shows only .0 , and that is not precise enough, lets say the song is not as fast by a tiny fraction, you move the pitch slider, you have no idea whether the pitch slider is in 5.2X as they dont show the number, the X means the number could be anywhere from 5.21% all the way to 5.29% before it changes to 5.3%
SH3PARD 11:09 AM - 6 December, 2012
i wish some one from SERATO would comment
Simon Love Carter 12:20 PM - 6 December, 2012
I think they are already working on it 'cause everyone in the world with a ddj-sx is complaining about.
SH3PARD 12:23 PM - 6 December, 2012
Yes man! !!
Simon Love Carter 12:27 PM - 6 December, 2012
Oh and anyway for who plays 128 bpm music it'€ so important to have 6% pitch range to get the pitch fader a little less sensitive and using less precise movements...
phatbob 12:29 PM - 6 December, 2012
I really can't understand how people mix properly on CDJ-2000s, with that single decimal point display on the bpm.

I even heard that people used to mix using vinyl, with NO bpm display at all! Apparently they used their 'ears'.

Can you even imagine that? Wow!
SH3PARD 12:37 PM - 6 December, 2012
the indication is to show that the hardware is were it should be ...

0.00 is accurate and 0.0 is not accurate ..

your ear can pick this up but do u want to be adjusting and Dr'ing your mix ?? NO
Simon Love Carter 2:36 PM - 6 December, 2012
Quote:
I really can't understand how people mix properly on CDJ-2000s, with that single decimal point display on the bpm.

I even heard that people used to mix using vinyl, with NO bpm display at all! Apparently they used their 'ears'.

You're absolutely right phatbob, but we are here to make thing right for everybody. People who likes to mix manually but be perfect and spare time to do other important tasks, people who just wants to beatmach manually without using sing but just reading other trak's bpm. A lot of people wants it for several reason. it's just a thing that it has to be there 'cause we paid 999 euros for a professional use!! Anyway yes you can use your ears bbut you can't be perfect if you are registering a radio show!
ivan zilch 2:38 PM - 6 December, 2012
Quote:

Cdj2000s shows the pitch in two decimal places Eg at 6 percent resolution it shows where it exactly is Eg 4.02 pitch

Even the Cdj200 has the pitch percentage on 2 decimal places! Yes I'm talking about the old Cdj200 not the cdj2k
SH3PARD 3:15 PM - 6 December, 2012
This is not about hitting sync or being lazy this is the way professionals use professional equipment ..so please lets make it PRO as it was sold to us.
Felonyruckus 6:27 PM - 6 December, 2012
Quote:

This is beggining to look like a BIG issue as far as I'm concerned ... I hope SERATO address this issue soon as its the only BUG that's stopping seamless mixing.

HUGE!!! Look at the ton of responses from (including me) SIX (6) people!!! And phatbob how dare you say that we use our ears!?!?! 1200's are so unprofessional even when radio stations used them to do live mixed shows!!! So unprofessional!!!

this topic of reading the BPM down to the hundredths, .00 for you professional people, has been beaten to death. There was a guy who swore up and down he needed and that he was leaving Serato because he didn't have it. I think he's on an island with a few other people but, I would say not a HUGE island.

I understand the possibility of having different things in a software but, it's not offered right now because I think it's bottom feeder on their priority list, I think this one might be hovering about the level as making the Allen&Heath Serato DJ compatible.
SH3PARD 8:51 AM - 7 December, 2012
Coming from pioneer we expect pioneer to still keep what makes them so damn good.. we got almost everything
djshiva 2:20 AM - 18 December, 2012
Quote:

Um, it matters because without the precision, you really can't manually beatmatch. I've been DJing for almost 20 years and I know how to use turntables, CDJs and controllers.

And the precison of the software in use with modern controllers is NOWHERE near the precision of turntables and CDJs. It's not a matter of needing a display. It's a matter of needing the software to be as precise as hardware in the DJ world.
phatbob 7:45 AM - 18 December, 2012
Quote:
And the precison of the software in use with modern controllers is NOWHERE near the precision of turntables and CDJs. It's not a matter of needing a display. It's a matter of needing the software to be as precise as hardware in the DJ world.

Nonsense. We're not talking about midi here, we're talking about high resolution HID pitch faders.

Analogue turntables is one thing, but CDJs and controllers like the SX are absolutely comparable in terms of pitch resolution.
SH3PARD 7:51 AM - 18 December, 2012
Phatbob..yes u are 100% BUT IS THE SERATO SOFTWARE ...NO..IS THE TRAKTOR SOFTWARE YES.

TRAKTOR works 0.01

SERATO works 0.1

This is the issue...simply software fix from SERATO the PIONEER DDJ SX is capable
phatbob 8:16 AM - 18 December, 2012
Traktor DISPLAYS 0.01

Serato DJ DISPLAYS 0.1

That is not the pitch resolution.
SH3PARD 8:22 AM - 18 December, 2012
Its a visual indication of the pitch that has to do with the resolution .

Its not the hardwares limitations .
SH3PARD 8:28 AM - 18 December, 2012
i536.photobucket.com

That's my cdj 500s that readout in 0.1% (unfortunately they don't analyze beatgrids)
phatbob 9:31 AM - 18 December, 2012
The CDJ-500s DO have a resolution of 0.1%. That is a hardware limitation, not just the display.

Two different things.
SH3PARD 10:07 AM - 18 December, 2012
ye i know ...and i know u know what im after with regards to SERATO and the 0.00 increments
kardbored 3:56 PM - 27 September, 2014
Quote:

Um, it matters because without the precision, you really can't manually beatmatch. I've been DJing for almost 20 years and I know how to use turntables, CDJs and controllers.

Exactly.

What really gets me, is the attitude with which this issue has been met by Serato reps on this forum as well as other users. From what I can gather the general consensus is that if you don't want to use sync then don't buy a DDJ controller. This whole situation is baffling to me as a new customer of Serato.

The bottom line is that the DDJ SX and SZ aren't as capable of driftless beatmatching as CDJs, which the DDJ SX and SZ are obviously trying to emulate. They got it hugely wrong on this one and are hiding behind ignorant sync users to defend the decision. As a DJ, if you're criticizing other DJs for wanting their pro gear to be MORE fine tuned and capable of BETTER mixes, you are a troll and shouldn't be part of the discussion.

The arguments against adding this feature are inconceivable and incomprehensible. The problem is there are so many sync DJs out there now that nobody is complaining about this. I've been scouring for solutions to this problem and the only one I've found is to sell my DDJ SX, forget about buying the SZ, and just buy straight Pioneer gear. Too bad Serato, you really dropped the ball on this one imho.
deejdave 6:43 PM - 27 September, 2014
Again the software supports .xx but only displays .x as in it IS possible but more effort must be put in. The Serato team have themselves said they plan to implement this in a future update so I don't think they advise anything resembling "get rid of your DDJ-SX" could you provide some direction where this was said as this has my current attention as this certainly does NOT sound like typical Serato talk. MAYBE the forum members but NOT Serato reps.

Furthermore I see people defending Serato and also explaining workarounds/ways to deal but NOT ONE PERSON arguing against adding this. Again unless I missed it. I do however feel if you are looking for the negativity you will find it.

Bottom line Serato DJ DOES support two decimal places but only displays one. The current workaround is "use the jumping of the one digit as a reference when you are close to the end of that pitch value. e.g. 90.07, 90.08, 90.09 (they all show as 90.0) , next value is 90.10 which will show as 90.1" but this is not the forever fix as they will implement this in a future release.
BrendanClay 11:07 PM - 2 December, 2015
Alright, guys, after a bit of back-and-forth with Serato support over Twitter this morning, it has been suggested by them that, in an effort to expedite the "two decimal points for pitch" update into production, we should rally support around a thread and "bump it up".

If this is still a feature that you're looking for — as it should be, given that Serato DJ doesn't support it yet — please jump into my thread, post your desire — at serato.com — and let's get this happening.

The reason I suggest my thread over this one, is that this particular thread started as a conversation about pitch range, rather than pitch display.

For your reference, you can view the Twitter conversation here: twitter.com

Many thanks, in advance.
BrendanClay 11:10 PM - 2 December, 2015
Just to avoid any confusion here, as it's commonly believed that this request relates to two-decimal place BPM display — which is already available — the pitch reading that should have two decimal places displayed, is shown here: www.brendanclay.com