Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Got the DDJ-SX, now when can I download the software?possible to get it earlier?

ivan zilch 1:41 PM - 30 October, 2012
so yeah
instagram.com

got my ddj-sx (i am in singapore by the way)

put in the cd into my macbook pro - the cd contains absolutely nothing! just a link to a page to download the software (which doesnt exist yet) , and the serato video voucher page is also non-existant

can we expect to see the software anytime soon or do we have to wait till nov 1st?
irieproductions 2:40 PM - 30 October, 2012
november 1st, not earlier not later. confirmed already by serato staff so hang on to your pants :)
ivan zilch 4:26 PM - 30 October, 2012
AWWWW MAN

I was so hyped up to use it

I even plugged in other stuff and use it as a hardware mixer just because i cant use the software yet

so far the hardware is AWESOME - cant wait to use it!!!
phatbob 4:37 PM - 30 October, 2012
Which dealer did you get it from?
ivan zilch 4:52 PM - 30 October, 2012
i am on the other side of the globe (Singapore) hahaha i got it from a local pioneer dealer called "Valentine Music Store"for about 1000 USD (after conversion)
phatbob 5:13 PM - 30 October, 2012
I'm sure they won't be a Pioneer dealer for much longer now, as they broke the embargo and sold the SX early. Sucks for them!
hbinupt 8:21 PM - 30 October, 2012
Nice review by the way Ivan. I had no idea that it had a power brick and no other review mentioned that.
DJKayce 9:42 PM - 30 October, 2012
Quote:
Which dealer did you get it from?

HaHahaha, U tricked him in peeling d dealer out.

Quote:
I'm sure they won't be a Pioneer dealer for much longer now, as they broke the embargo and sold the SX early. Sucks for them!

Are U serious phatbob? U must be working for pioneer. I also saw your comments on DJ Wunder's wall about getting his early from Sam ASh.
Qoolee Kid 9:47 PM - 30 October, 2012
there's a store here in San Diego that also received them early and those few people that pre-ordered already have them in hand as well. But like the OP, only have a hardware mixer on their hands. but at least you can map the pads to SL in the meantime, right?
phatbob 10:05 PM - 30 October, 2012
Quote:
Are U serious phatbob? U must be working for pioneer. I also saw your comments on DJ Wunder's wall about getting his early from Sam ASh.

No, I don't work for Pioneer, but I did work for a DJ equipment retailer for some years, and having other dealers break release dates is totally unfair on those who respect them.

Such dates are as much to make it a fair market for all dealers as much as anything else; it means one dealer doesn't get extra business just because they lucked into getting their delivery early.
jroc453 10:41 PM - 30 October, 2012
I just got home with one as well.... comes with a cd... but nothing available to download as of yet. Very solid feel though. Can't wait till Thursday to download Serato DJ. Im not naming the dealer but the sales guy had no idea that he couldn't sell it. I was only going in to put a deposit but he pulled it right down and wrote me up. I couldn't believe it. Its useless right now but at least im ready for thursday!!!! ;)
Dj Wunder 10:51 PM - 30 October, 2012
Thursday will be fun, anyone going to their local Guitar Center for the demo?
jroc453 11:03 PM - 30 October, 2012
I was going too... but now I don't have to... lol
jroc453 11:04 PM - 30 October, 2012
and it wasn't Guitar Center by the way...
Dj Wunder 11:18 PM - 30 October, 2012
Quote:
and it wasn't Guitar Center by the way...

The email I got was for Guitar Center Hollywood?
jroc453 11:26 PM - 30 October, 2012
ya... Guitar Center hollywood FL is having DJ Kool. I was talking about the dealer that sold it to mw by mistake
Dj Wunder 11:29 PM - 30 October, 2012
aha yes my bad. Well the dealer that sold me my SX wasn't Sam Ash, we call all the DJ shops around here "Sam Ash". Like "Rollerblades" for In-Line Skates or "Kleenex" for tissues
DJKayce 12:30 AM - 31 October, 2012
Can't wait for Thursday so the cat can come out of the bag officially. SERATO DJ here we come. R u ready? I know am more than ready for this bad boy.
ivan zilch 1:59 AM - 31 October, 2012
Quote:
Nice review by the way Ivan. I had no idea that it had a power brick and no other review mentioned that.

thanks! yeah i kinda wish they use the standard kettle plug (IEC) instead

had bad experience with things with power bricks haha just wanted to point that out

i suppose the unit is so huge and operates as a hardware mixer so it needs a lot of power
Mizurah 10:43 AM - 31 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

thanks! yeah i kinda wish they use the standard kettle plug (IEC) instead

had bad experience with things with power bricks haha just wanted to point that out

i suppose the unit is so huge and operates as a hardware mixer so it needs a lot of power

I had the S1 and it wasnt that bad. Just make sure to put a small power cord extender in your case, preferably one with multiple inputs so you can hook your computer up to it also.
phatbob 10:54 AM - 31 October, 2012
I never gig without a high-quality 4-way surge protected power strip in my bag.

Dodgy power in a club totally fried my DJM-707 mixer a few years back, there's no way I'm risking the same happening with my laptop or controller!
hbinupt 2:42 PM - 31 October, 2012
I had the S1 and it wasnt that bad. Just make sure to put a small power cord extender in your case, preferably one with multiple inputs so you can hook your computer up to it also.

Good idea. I have been looking at the cases with the laptop shelf just to cut down on setup time but they are a bit expensive. It seems with the ddi-sx dropping all the retailers that have cases that will fit have jacked up the price on them to $319-369. I've seen a few people that have gotten their unit already that say it fits nicely in the 2xl bag so that may be the most cost effective route just not as good esthetically.
jroc453 3:12 PM - 31 October, 2012
I'm trying to find a case ASAP for my SX. Buy $330??? RIP OFF!!!!
jroc453 3:38 PM - 31 October, 2012
I found this....
www.odysseygear.com

the depth is 14.5 on the DDJ-SX and the specs on the case say 12" depth. I wonder if this can be modified to fit???
DJ Spaceraver 4:31 PM - 31 October, 2012
Has anyone in UK got yet?
phatbob 4:49 PM - 31 October, 2012
UK dealers aren't allowed to sell it until tomorrow, like everywhere else.
Nachkebia 4:51 PM - 31 October, 2012
Lets just hope there are some kiwi serato fans :D
ivan zilch 5:11 PM - 31 October, 2012
damn it man i've been refreshing the page every hour or so

i wanna test out my DDJ-SX

GAWD!!!!

can we please have the Serato DJ software a few hours early pleaaaase? It's november 1 here in Singapore -_-
Asu 5:29 PM - 31 October, 2012
It's gotta be Nov.1st everywhere lol...close to Nov.2nd for you though looks like...just don't break it already...ha ha ha....palms itching i bet...

Chirstmas came early for us controller lovers :-) i pre-ordered / re-scanned all my tracks weeks ago prepping for a return to serato cause of this controller...

i'll keep traktor for now...but if Serato DJ is solid then i'll be sold permanetly due to various all in one factors...Better Library management/midi mapping/video/isotope FX/Solid pio name behind this controller...etc
DJKayce 6:47 PM - 31 October, 2012
Its Nov 1st in most part of world now Like Auckland, Singapore, Japan, Shanghai, Sydney and so on. Can we at least see some video shots of SERATO DJ in action. I've never waited for a product to come out like this. I guess it's b/cos of the 2 big names (PIONEER & SERATO) behind it.
Asu 7:19 PM - 31 October, 2012
Quote:
Its Nov 1st in most part of world now Like Auckland, Singapore, Japan, Shanghai, Sydney and so on. Can we at least see some video shots of SERATO DJ in action. I've never waited for a product to come out like this. I guess it's b/cos of the 2 big names (PIONEER & SERATO) behind it.

It's only 12:17 pm OCT.31st in the main part of the world(USA) lol....they are waiting for us in the USA i think.
VinnyBlanc 7:20 PM - 31 October, 2012
Is there a specific # on your Serato Video Voucher or is it generic?
ivan zilch 7:21 PM - 31 October, 2012
oh man
Quote:
Quote:

It's only 12:17 pm OCT.31st in the main part of the world(USA) lol....they are waiting for us in the USA i think.

oh man... still many many hours to go

i have a feeling that they are taking the time to fix and iron the bugs with the 1.0.0 (hope so)

so i hope we will see something like Version 1.1.b or something like that - just to show that there were works done already
VxJasonxV 7:24 PM - 31 October, 2012
Quote:
Is there a specific # on your Serato Video Voucher or is it generic?

One person can't answer this question alone :P. Based off the video that was available at one time in another thread, it appears that the codes would be unique.
ivan zilch 7:25 PM - 31 October, 2012
yep the codes are unique, the digits are quite short something like 5-6 digits
Dj Wunder 10:05 PM - 31 October, 2012
Quote:
yep the codes are unique, the digits are quite short something like 5-6 digits

Yeah its a pass code you enter to get your actual authorization number.

And as far as $300+ cases go, maaaan F DAT! I'll build my own
Asu 11:55 PM - 31 October, 2012
Yup $350 for a case is a rip off...that's like 1/3 of the price for the controller lol...$200 would be more realistic :-/
irieproductions 2:21 AM - 1 November, 2012
Yo Dj Wunder not to rush you but feel free to upload that video with the fx in action and jog wheels in action at your earliest convenience :D
irieproductions 2:29 AM - 1 November, 2012
from digital dj tips:
Except, the second your hand leaves the jogwheel, it moves maybe a quarter of a turn then stops. This is similar to the behaviour of the Traktor Kontrol S4, and it just doesn’t feel natural to me. It’s not a big point, but it may irk hardcore vinyl scratch guys coming to this controller.

wow this kinda sucks, so if you want to spinback you need to hold the jog wheel while rotating it you simply cant just give it a hard spin and let it go? :|
Asu 2:32 AM - 1 November, 2012
Quote:
from digital dj tips:
Except, the second your hand leaves the jogwheel, it moves maybe a quarter of a turn then stops. This is similar to the behaviour of the Traktor Kontrol S4, and it just doesn’t feel natural to me. It’s not a big point, but it may irk hardcore vinyl scratch guys coming to this controller.

wow this kinda sucks, so if you want to spinback you need to hold the jog wheel while rotating it you simply cant just give it a hard spin and let it go? :|

The jog wheel sensitivity can be adjusted,are you sure they did all the proper adjustments...
irieproductions 2:41 AM - 1 November, 2012
i dont know, probably Serato staff might read this thread and comment or B) Wunder will give this a try and let us know :)

This is another thing that i picked up:
In auto looping, one shortcoming is that while you can halve or double the length of the current loop, there’s no way to see what value is currently set without turning the loop on. In other words, pressing half / double will do what it says, but you can’t see it in the software; the 1/8 bar, 1/4 bar, 8 bars, 16 bars indicators etc. remain unlit.

doesnt make sense that you got no clue how many bars the autoloop its currently at until you actually press it? how about if you left it at 1/32 and you press it by accident lol.
irieproductions 2:50 AM - 1 November, 2012
Actually he demonstrates it on the video:

youtu.be
dj-freestyle 3:06 AM - 1 November, 2012
Im guessing things pioneer will fix in a update. The ns6 you can spin backwards and see when you sent loops were you are at so im sure a firmware update will be quick lol lol lol
Dj Wunder 3:06 AM - 1 November, 2012
Quote:
from digital dj tips:

Spinback isn't perfect, gotta spin the hell out of it to get any decent effect. It's usable for your short spin backs, but long dramatic ones, you're keeping your hands on it and doing it manually

Quote:
i dont know, probably Serato staff might read this thread and comment or B) Wunder will give this a try and let us know :)

This is another thing that i picked up:
In auto looping, one shortcoming is that while you can halve or double the length of the current loop, there’s no way to see what value is currently set without turning the loop on. In other words, pressing half / double will do what it says, but you can’t see it in the software; the 1/8 bar, 1/4 bar, 8 bars, 16 bars indicators etc. remain unlit.

doesnt make sense that you got no clue how many bars the autoloop its currently at until you actually press it? how about if you left it at 1/32 and you press it by accident lol.

Yes, you see the value, and you can set it before engaging!

F*C*I*G loving this thing right now
dj-freestyle 3:07 AM - 1 November, 2012
Im guessing a firmware update will be quick for the back spin thing.
dj-freestyle 3:08 AM - 1 November, 2012
saw my box at guitar center today and cant wailt till they open. gonna be hard to sleep
dj-freestyle 3:08 AM - 1 November, 2012
Thanks again wunder for all the info along the way.
Asu 3:11 AM - 1 November, 2012
Quote:

youtu.be

He did a very nice and short review...he did demonstrate the short spin back but again as i said he didn't adjust the jog wheel sensitivity knob
Dj Wunder 3:17 AM - 1 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

youtu.be

He did a very nice and short review...he did demonstrate the short spin back but again as i said he didn't adjust the jog wheel sensitivity knob

That knob helps spinback a bit, and I'm definitely glad it's there because if the sensitivity is too high you might stop the music while pitch bending... I've got it dialed in perfect right now and no problems
irieproductions 3:21 AM - 1 November, 2012
phil needs to correct the loop thing then because is misleading what you put on his review.
Asu 3:21 AM - 1 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

youtu.be

That knob helps spinback a bit, and I'm definitely glad it's there because if the sensitivity is too high you might stop the music while pitch bending... I've got it dialed in perfect right now and no problems

yeah that's what i was saying,we need to adjust that knob and then complain lol
Proggieus 4:06 AM - 1 November, 2012
Dj Wunder,

it seems that if you hit the 1/2 button and get the loop time down to a length that is not on your page it does not shift pages to show you the loop length.

if your loop buttons show 1/4 to 32 and you shift it down to 1/16th the highlighting disappears and you now have no idea what you are on.

not a huge deal, if you don't see a high light you just need to change the range and look for it but it should be an easy fix in a update
Dj Wunder 4:54 AM - 1 November, 2012
Quote:
Dj Wunder,

it seems that if you hit the 1/2 button and get the loop time down to a length that is not on your page it does not shift pages to show you the loop length.

if your loop buttons show 1/4 to 32 and you shift it down to 1/16th the highlighting disappears and you now have no idea what you are on.

not a huge deal, if you don't see a high light you just need to change the range and look for it but it should be an easy fix in a update

Ah I see what you mean. Yeah SDJ is definitely 1.0
Nachkebia 4:57 AM - 1 November, 2012
Someone should open definitive bug report thread and we all mention out problems there, so it could be easier for them to track those errors and fix them accordingly?
Nachkebia 4:58 AM - 1 November, 2012
p.s. this is pretty much a beta testing isnt it? they should have done it before with closed group.
DJ Oasys 5:09 AM - 1 November, 2012
Played tracks no longer turn green? How about day light mode?
Nachkebia 5:11 AM - 1 November, 2012
its not green but it is different tonality of grey. which is kind of hard to spot.
DJ Oasys 5:13 AM - 1 November, 2012
Exactly. Even the video film strip is white. What is wrong with the previous color scheme?
DJ Oasys 5:14 AM - 1 November, 2012
The color scheme of the played tracks and the video strip are not broken, why fix it serato?
Nachkebia 5:16 AM - 1 November, 2012
i kind of like it as it is now. green was so different from the main color, you almost had no choice but to choose the unplayed files :)
Asu 5:26 AM - 1 November, 2012
Quote:
i kind of like it as it is now. green was so different from the main color, you almost had no choice but to choose the unplayed files :)

+1

i like the greyed out played tracks...you can clearly tell what you've played.

The beat grids still aren't the best...traktor is one up on this...
nik39 6:06 AM - 1 November, 2012
Quote:
i kind of like it as it is now. green was so different from the main color

The grayish color tones are difficult to differentiate.
ivan zilch 6:59 AM - 1 November, 2012
woohoo! just downloaded and installed - gonna try it out the ddj-sx now :D :D
VxJasonxV 10:29 AM - 1 November, 2012
Quote:
p.s. this is pretty much a beta testing isnt it? they should have done it before with closed group.

Considering that no one had supported hardware, that would have been pretty much impossible.
Asu 7:02 PM - 2 November, 2012
Quote:

youtu.be

Pioneer seems to have read our comments concerning the jog wheel,they released firmware to give you more room for Jog wheel adjustment

Ver.1.00 ->Ver.1.01 (1 November, 2012 Update)
- Optimized the touch sensor sensitivity adjustment range for the jog dial.
- Fixed an issue when using generic MIDI control.

:-)
DeedupDex 7:15 PM - 2 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

youtu.be

Pioneer seems to have read our comments concerning the jog wheel,they released firmware to give you more room for Jog wheel adjustment

Ver.1.00 ->Ver.1.01 (1 November, 2012 Update)
- Optimized the touch sensor sensitivity adjustment range for the jog dial.
- Fixed an issue when using generic MIDI control.

:-)

Aus,

Does this update automatically? Or do we have to download this somewhere?
DeedupDex 7:16 PM - 2 November, 2012
*Asu sorry
dj-freestyle 7:43 PM - 2 November, 2012
Pioneer website for firmware update
DeedupDex 7:44 PM - 2 November, 2012
Quote:
Pioneer website for firmware update

Righton!
dj-freestyle 7:45 PM - 2 November, 2012
Follow instructions to the t and also you learn some things you can change while its in that mode. pretty cool.
dj-freestyle 7:46 PM - 2 November, 2012
were is autoplay?
serkan 10:08 PM - 2 November, 2012
Sorry but asking for auto play in every single thread is a little too much, don't you think?
dj-freestyle 10:11 PM - 2 November, 2012
It was I was just shocked
dj-freestyle 10:11 PM - 2 November, 2012
I admit it was over kill
ivan zilch 9:19 AM - 3 November, 2012
i actually updated the firmware as soon as i took out the ddj-sx out of the box as I saw it on the pioneer site

so i wouldnt know about any difference between 1.00 and 1.01 firmware

the jog wheel sensitivity adjustment does work fine though, i found the best setting to be around 10-11 o clock setting (default factory setting is 12 o clock setting)
Asu 12:44 PM - 3 November, 2012
Quote:
i actually updated the firmware as soon as i took out the ddj-sx out of the box as I saw it on the pioneer site

so i wouldnt know about any difference between 1.00 and 1.01 firmware

the jog wheel sensitivity adjustment does work fine though, i found the best setting to be around 10-11 o clock setting (default factory setting is 12 o clock setting)

Ivan,can you comment on the backspin,is it perfected? and also is simple sync or smart sync option available when you plug in the DDJ-SX....because when the grids are wrong...simple sync would be preferable...
ivan zilch 3:28 PM - 3 November, 2012
hi there!

the backspin is a little bit like on the S4, the spin stops almost as soon as your hand's off, a bit different with the regular pioneer cdj's, not exactly authentic sounding backspins

but the jogwheel response is AWESOME - the best so far!

about the sync - i actually havent used the sync function (as i am used to using cdj's with timecode with no sync so i do manual beatmatching) but i didnt see any option about whether the sync is in simple/smart mode so i guess not?
Dj Wunder 4:33 PM - 3 November, 2012
The manual describes "Tempo Sync", which sounds like your Smart Sync
Dj Wunder 4:33 PM - 3 November, 2012
^I meant your "Simple Sync"^
Asu 6:54 PM - 3 November, 2012
ok cool,tempo sync is more reliable for me,too bad the back spin isn't like cdjs...i find tempo sync saves me time to do fx and the like...but it's a must for all DJs to know how to beatmatch :-)
VxJasonxV 7:30 PM - 3 November, 2012
Sync is a software feature. The Setup screen should have the option of Simple vs. Smart Sync if the choice still exists.

I saw the blue beat indicator on a SDJ video, so I gotta think they're both still there, and are merely a setup option.
Asu 7:41 PM - 3 November, 2012
Quote:
Sync is a software feature. The Setup screen should have the option of Simple vs. Smart Sync if the choice still exists.

I saw the blue beat indicator on a SDJ video, so I gotta think they're both still there, and are merely a setup option.

I know it's a software feature ma man,the question was different.

the two options were there in itch not Serato DJ,so i was wondering how sync is performed...someone said it via tempo sync not smart sync according to the manual,so i got my answer....in any case i can beatmatch too but simple sync/tempo sync save you some precious time.
phatbob 1:37 AM - 4 November, 2012
In Itch, 2-deck controllers have the option of smart or simple sync, 4-deck controllers have smart sync only. I can't imagine that will change in Serato DJ.