Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

FAO Serato and Serato DJ hardware manufacturers

[O/][iii][O/] 12:26 AM - 29 October, 2012
Sad to see the first official Serato DJ controller failed to include dual USB on the launch of Serato's new sate-of-the-art system. Other hardware manufacturers who will be producing compatible controllers please don't make the same mistake. Serato please work together with your "partners" to make this happen as you have with Rane on SL4, SIXTY-TWO, and SIXTY-EIGHT. Thanks
phatbob 12:56 AM - 29 October, 2012
To have a controller able to do that would obviously be quite an achievement, as no USB HID controller currently available has the capability to control 2 computers at once.

By all means correct me if I'm wrong...
diezdiaz 1:43 AM - 29 October, 2012
This was where the V7 shined.
Bazildon 2:15 AM - 29 October, 2012
Quote:

One of the many things that makes the V7 great in my opinion, but don't forget you can only do it if you had 2 V7s. Also, on the V7 the USB ports are too close to the outputs and they are also very wobbly and easily broken (something shared with the ns7 I believe).

Apart from cost, I can't see any reason why a small usb hub (2 ports) couldn't be installed instead of a single usb port.

You have to ask yourself how many setups would actually use it though.
Paco71 7:37 AM - 29 October, 2012
The question is :

Is it a real request from users ?

IMO I don't think so...
[O/][iii][O/] 12:22 PM - 29 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

One of the many things that makes the V7 great in my opinion, but don't forget you can only do it if you had 2 V7s. Also, on the V7 the USB ports are too close to the outputs and they are also very wobbly and easily broken (something shared with the ns7 I believe).

Apart from cost, I can't see any reason why a small usb hub (2 ports) couldn't be installed instead of a single usb port.

You have to ask yourself how many setups would actually use it though.

Can't speak for the others, but I know I, and many I know of would use dual USB probably more than 50% of the time. Here's why: TTs are becoming nearly extinct at events and venues and hardly anybody around here uses CDs anymore, combined with the fact that so many different DJs are using so may different platforms that venues are tired of switching stuff out every night and know opting to just provide a blank work surface in the booth with connections to monitors and main sound system. DJs are becoming more and more responsible for bringing their own source gear. Well, when you have multiple DJs at one event who are all using Serato software (either SSL or ITCH or now SDJ) based libraries, if a single controller solution (i.e.: DDJ-SX) had dual USB all DJs could just plug in/out throughout the course of the event without have to switch out multiple controllers. Not only that, but with limited space in many booths, if you had DJs on another platform, such as Traktor, then better the chances of fitting one SDJ controller and one TP controller in available workspace vs multiples of each. Controller-based solutions are the future, and it just makes sense to have this functionality for ultimate flexibility. SL4, 62, and 68 has already proven this.
[O/][iii][O/] 12:29 PM - 29 October, 2012
Quote:
The question is :

Is it a real request from users ?

IMO I don't think so...

Well, considering SDJ hasn't arrived yet, technically you are correct since there aren't any SDJ users to make this request yet. However, I will tell you that there ARE currently many ITCH users (self included) who have been making this request for years, ever since the SL4 was released, and since since we will soon be SDJ users the request carries through because we would still benefit greatly from having dual USB for obvious reasons (see above if not obvious to you).
phatbob 12:59 PM - 29 October, 2012
As I said above, I agree with the concept being good, but I just don't believe the technology actually exists yet.

Rane have proved it can be done with audio, I'm not convinced HID would be so achievable.

At least with newer controllers like the SX and the 380 having proper hardware mixers built in, it's fairly trivial to play a CD or something through the mixer whilst you swap out laptops. I've done that on my 380 a couple of times.
[O/][iii][O/] 1:28 PM - 29 October, 2012
Quote:

At least with newer controllers like the SX and the 380 having proper hardware mixers built in, it's fairly trivial to play a CD or something through the mixer whilst you swap out laptops.

True, but it becomes less trivial when you have to factor in purchasing, lugging, finding a spot for, etc. a CDJ for the sole purpose of switching DJs. Becomes even more problematic and breaks the flow during tag team sets where each DJ is playing maybe two or three tracks at a time. I hear ya' though about what is/what's may not technologically possible ATM. You'd think there'd be a way to internally isolate one deck and half the mixer during handoff. Anyway, hope this feature is high on the radar because I truly believe whoever nails it first will have huge advantage in the market when it comes to larger, 4-deck controllers such as the DDJ-SX. Smaller, 2-deck controllers such as the VCI-380 I see less of a need for this.
DjFuentes82 1:51 PM - 29 October, 2012
Although I agree with your request wouldn't this setup limit the clubs ability to only play through the software provided by the hardware.
TT's might be discontinued but they're still in most clubs just like CDJ's.
[O/][iii][O/] 2:01 PM - 29 October, 2012
Quote:
Although I agree with your request wouldn't this setup limit the clubs ability to only play through the software provided by the hardware.
TT's might be discontinued but they're still in most clubs just like CDJ's.

I'm not talking about those situations. What I'm talking about an ideal solution for growing scenario where venues that no longer provide source gear, rather they give you a blank canvas workspace with connections to main sound system and monitors. This scenario accounts for about half the setup situations these days where I'm from.
DjFuentes82 3:33 PM - 29 October, 2012
Although that would benefit us as DJs, it wouldn't necessarily help the venue itself. It might take longer for the Sound Engineer to get u ready to go if he's got a different setup every other day. Must clubs got their sound system set up to how they wanted, so they only have to do minor adjustments when they hook up new gear.
I may have misunderstood your point but by having dual USB on the hardware only means that it will allow another laptop for the switch but not the hardware itself.
[O/][iii][O/] 3:41 PM - 29 October, 2012
Quote:
Sound Engineer

lol, what's that? Seriously, we could only wish to have those at the majority of venues we encounter.

Quote:
Although that would benefit us as DJs, it wouldn't necessarily help the venue itself. It might take longer for the Sound Engineer to get u ready to go if he's got a different setup every other day. Must clubs got their sound system set up to how they wanted, so they only have to do minor adjustments when they hook up new gear.
I may have misunderstood your point but by having dual USB on the hardware only means that it will allow another laptop for the switch but not the hardware itself.

Yeah, I'm talking about benefit of managing two or more DJs working from a single SDJ controller during an event — especially a large, 4-deck unit like DJJ-SX or NS6.
DjFuentes82 4:08 PM - 29 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Sound Engineer

lol, what's that? Seriously, we could only wish to have those at the majority of venues we encounter

+1
Lol.
haze324 4:33 PM - 29 October, 2012
I think the more things people say they wish this controller had need to realize it's 999.00 and on sale at places like Guitar Center people grabbed them for 850.00. There's a fine line between price point and features. Would the majority of folks pay "more" for this feature -- who knows, but I'm guessing Pioneer decided it was not worth the cost vs. sales to add this.
[O/][iii][O/] 4:42 PM - 29 October, 2012
Quote:
I think the more things people say they wish this controller had need to realize it's 999.00 and on sale at places like Guitar Center people grabbed them for 850.00. There's a fine line between price point and features. Would the majority of folks pay "more" for this feature -- who knows, but I'm guessing Pioneer decided it was not worth the cost vs. sales to add this.

Yep, agreed. It's that kind of thinking from manufacturers that continue to keep these controllers in the home/hobbyist/consumer/pro-sumer category and out of the professional category. Professionals typically could careless what a tool/instrument costs, as long as it does what the need/want it to do and does it in the best possible way.
[O/][iii][O/] 4:45 PM - 29 October, 2012
I for one would have no problem dropping several grand on an all-in-one controller solution IF it did everything I needed it to do and wasn't built like a kid's toy. When you add up the cost of a pair of CDJs or TTs, a high-end mixer, and a DVS interface it's really a no brainer when comparing cost. $1K for a pro controller is kind of a joke.
[O/][iii][O/] 4:49 PM - 29 October, 2012
For fun I added up what this would currently cost to replicate abilities of a DDJ-SX on the DVS side of things:

4) Pioneer CDJ-2000: $8,000
1) Pioneer DJM-900 $2,000
1) Rane SL4 $900

Total: $10,900
haze324 4:55 PM - 29 October, 2012
^ I agree. I've thought about this and really there is only ONE controller out there that I'd say was/or has been ever fully accepted as "Pro" gear is the Xone 4D. Everything else has been considered a toy or hobbiest piece of gear, and by now the Xone 4D has been surpassed by new technology/gear.

You can add up the cost of all that gear, but you still get more than the DDJ-SX can offer. I think a more fair statement would be --- you could play the same set with an SX for the cost of only 999.00. (but you do get more functionality with CDJ's and a Mixer).
[O/][iii][O/] 5:13 PM - 29 October, 2012
Yeah, the gap is VERY wide between these two ends of the spectrum, which is why I'm convinced there plenty room for one of these manufacturers to step up and offer TRUE pro-grade controller, not just slapping a label on it that says "Professional".

Think Xone 4D like you say, but with SDJ compatibility, 4-deck control, dual USB, real EQs, etc.. Then you'd really have my attention. No sweat at all dropping a few $K on it.
DJ dVO 7:16 PM - 29 October, 2012
For a club environment, agree. For mobile, ain't no body lay their dirty fingers on my controller!

Because every DJ is responsible for their own gear, club should only provide their mixer where each DJ can connect to. That would be my solution.
nik39 9:29 PM - 29 October, 2012
Quote:
Can't speak for the others

Thanks, oiio.

Quote:
However, I will tell you that there ARE currently many ITCH users

Oh no, not again!

I doubt that currently there is a big demand for dual USB ports. Just figure how many controllers exists... now do you think many clubs will decide for *one* controller? As long as there is no big standard, I doubt you will see controllers pre installed in DJ booths. Currently the only controllers I see... are 1210s ;) Yes, someone called these turntables "analog vinyl controller". :D
[O/][iii][O/] 10:01 PM - 29 October, 2012
[quote now do you think many clubs will decide for *one* controller? As long as there is no big standard, I doubt you will see controllers pre installed in DJ booths.

No, not at all. Can't see a standard ever landing until one of these manufacturers decides to get serious about controllers and there's no sign of that happening anytime soon I'm afraid.

If you go back and read what I said, you'll see I said nothing about installations. What I said (for the third time now in this thread) was I'm seeing venues more and more often these days pulling source gear all together because everyone uses something different and instead providing an open workspace with connections to main sound system and booth monitors so whoever's performing can bring whatever gear they want and simply plugin. Venues are tired of trying to figure out what everyone wants, people coming and and rewiring everything, dealing with broken stuff, etc.
djjoefresh 10:01 PM - 29 October, 2012
Controllers are getting really really good with features and build quality, and I actually could picture the DDJ-SX becoming a controller standard for clubs someday (if a controller standard ever happens), but for now, they will not replace the turntables and CDJs that are the standard setup in almost every club. For that reason, I would not expect controller manufacturers to include dual USBs in their products. There just isn't a demand for that in club environments, yet.
nik39 10:06 PM - 29 October, 2012
Quote:
If you go back and read what I said, you'll see I said nothing about installations. What I said (for the third time now in this thread) was I'm seeing venues more and more often these days pulling source gear all together because everyone uses something different and instead providing an open workspace with connections to main sound system and booth monitors so whoever's performing can bring whatever gear they want and simply plugin. Venues are tired of trying to figure out what everyone wants, people coming and and rewiring everything, dealing with broken stuff, etc.

You're just backing up my argument.

If I DJ, then currently most likely the DJ after or before me will use a different controller. Even if he uses the same controller (the possibility is small), why should he let me use his controller, or why should I let him use my controller? It means that either of us has to stay until the end, or turn up early.

Impractical.
[O/][iii][O/] 10:25 PM - 29 October, 2012
^^^ Perhaps impractical for you, where you play, and who you play with, but extremely practical for others (as I've already provided examples) — hence the request ;-)
[O/][iii][O/] 10:33 PM - 29 October, 2012
Quote:
Controllers are getting really really good with features and build quality, and I actually could picture the DDJ-SX becoming a controller standard for clubs someday (if a controller standard ever happens), but for now, they will not replace the turntables and CDJs that are the standard setup in almost every club. For that reason, I would not expect controller manufacturers to include dual USBs in their products. There just isn't a demand for that in club environments, yet.

Like I said, until a manufacturer gets serious about this concept and quits screwing around with this crazy low price point mentality, controllers will be limited to little more than disposable toys. If/when one of them finally decides to break ranks and build what I'm talking about, they will come.
nik39 10:52 PM - 29 October, 2012
Quote:
^^^ Perhaps impractical for you, where you play, and who you play with, but extremely practical for others (as I've already provided examples) — hence the request ;-)

Oh yeah.

I think it's very impractical for many other DJ's I know, too.

Let's talk about numbers ;)
[O/][iii][O/] 11:10 PM - 29 October, 2012
Frankly, I'm not concerned about others since they have no bearing on our wants/needs. Not sure why you insist on constantly comparing these things to you either. Either you can relate or you can't. If you can, great, if not, no big deal either way, but it's funny how you're seemingly always concerned about stuff that doesn't concern you lol.
[O/][iii][O/] 11:15 PM - 29 October, 2012
BTW, incase you're not quite old enough to understand this nik39, just because something has a feature that's an OPTION to use or not, it does not mean you HAVE to use it. That's why it's called an "option". There's dozens of things these products can optionally do that others have zero use for, but you don't see normal, level-headed people squawking about what don't want to use when they don't have too. You're a strange one buddy :-/
nik39 11:43 PM - 29 October, 2012
Hey lil'o,

I'll explain something to you, because you seem to be a nice person:

1. It is the first time you mention the word option in this thread.

2. If the SX or the other dream-controller has a second USB port, then in fact this is not an option. Because it is always part of the hardware. And the reason why I will speak up against this 2nd USB port (can you imagine.. I do know many other DJ's who would agree with me her) because I have to pay for it additionally. Whether I use it or not.

3. If you don't want to discuss an open suggestion on an open and public forum (because that's what you're basically implying with your post before the last one) - how about you don't post it? If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Public forum. Public discussion. Not so difficult to understand. :) Get it?
djjoefresh 11:47 PM - 29 October, 2012
In my opinion, the DDJ-SX is a solid enough controller in terms of build quality, available features, and brand name reputation to be considered as a possible standard for permanent installation in clubs and similar venues - when the clubs and DJs are ready for it.
If I were to walk into a DJ booth in a club and see a DDJ-SX front and center, I would not think "oh what's this toy doing here". It isn't like the Vestax or Numark controllers (the NS6 could be the exception) that have plastic enclosures and smaller form factors, the DDJ-SX looks and feels like professional DJ equipment that clubs could install.
It does have a drastically lower price point in comparison to a traditional CDJ-2000 and DJM-900 setup, but I would only consider that a negative if there were significant drawbacks in performance and features. From everything I've seen and read so far, everything is logically laid out on the controller, and I can't think of a feature that I use now with traditional club equipment that the DDJ-SX doesn't have.
I just don't think that clubs and DJs are comfortable enough with controllers to see them in the booth instead of turntables and CDJs. Not yet anyway.
djjoefresh 11:48 PM - 29 October, 2012
On a different note, I'm really hoping that Hurricane Sandy doesn't delay any of our shipments, I would hate to have to wait any longer to try this bad boy out.
[O/][iii][O/] 12:43 AM - 30 October, 2012
Quote:

1. It is the first time you mention the word option in this thread.

Ummm, of course it's an option (just like the sync and countless other features). Nobody says you HAVE to use it. Duh, lol

Quote:

2. If the SX or the other dream-controller has a second USB port, then in fact this is not an option. Because it is always part of the hardware. And the reason why I will speak up against this 2nd USB port (can you imagine.. I do know many other DJ's who would agree with me her) because I have to pay for it additionally. Whether I use it or not.

Ummm, using it yes it is (see above). And, nobody said YOU have to pay for ANYTHING. Why the hell would you purchase something you don't want? lol, are you really that stupid?

Quote:

3. If you don't want to discuss an open suggestion on an open and public forum (because that's what you're basically implying with your post before the last one) - how about you don't post it? If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Public forum. Public discussion. Not so difficult to understand. :) Get it?

Are you drunk? Who ever said I didn't want to discuss things? I'm thoroughly convinced now that you don't bother to read anything before you post lol. Either that or you're just very confused (yet again).

Do you mind me asking how old you are? Just want to make sure I'm dealing with an adult here because it's kinda hard to tell.
nik39 1:08 AM - 30 October, 2012
Quote:
Ummm, of course it's an option (just like the sync and countless other features). Nobody says you HAVE to use it. Duh, lol

Feel free to elaborate how built-in hardware can be optional.

I'll help you, cause you seem to need a helping hand here again:
Sync is a software feature. A built in second USB port is.. guess what... a hardware feature. Do you need further links which explain you the difference of software vs. hardware?

Quote:
And, nobody said YOU have to pay for ANYTHING. Why the hell would you purchase something you don't want?

Well... let me think... So Serato or the h/w partner would certainly add a second USB port for free. Just as Rane added the second USB port for free. lol

Ah, I see... delusional thoughts? ;) Wake up
Nothing is for free.

Quote:
Who ever said I didn't want to discuss things?

Are you trying to be smart again? Or are you that illogical?

This...
Quote:
but it's funny how you're seemingly always concerned about stuff that doesn't concern you
... implies.. Well go and figure.

Age-question: Honestly, I don't care about your age, and you should not care about mine either. You, oiio, could be 6 or you could be 66 - doesn't change anything about the fact that you're posts are stubborn and ignorant. ;)
VJ Justin Allen 1:11 AM - 30 October, 2012
Personally I feel there is more value in looking at equipment that will allow this controller to work side by side with installed club equipment.

Currently I am looking at auto switchers for multiple video inputs, ways to run 2 mixers into one amp rack, ways for me to be able to tap into booth monitors...all without using channels on the existing clubs mixer.

I should have a set of equipment soon that will let this happen on a professional level.
DjFuentes82 1:23 AM - 30 October, 2012
Like I stated before:
By adding a second USB to a controller it would forcing every dj to play that follows you at said venue with that hardware. In essence it's just replacing the current setup. Why would a venue do that when their setup is top notch (I.E. DJMs, Rane Mixers, etc)
[O/][iii][O/] 1:26 AM - 30 October, 2012
Nope, you're wrong nik39 on many levels and have demonstrated multiple times that you are either unable or unwilling to follow a conversation. You are now on my troll radar.
nik39 1:29 AM - 30 October, 2012
As said, feel free to prove me wrong. Until then, you're contradicting yourself and/or you are not making any sense at all.

DjFuentes, you should give up. oiio doesn't really care about making sense ;) "because it is an option"
[O/][iii][O/] 1:29 AM - 30 October, 2012
Quote:
Like I stated before:
By adding a second USB to a controller it would forcing every dj to play that follows you at said venue with that hardware. In essence it's just replacing the current setup. Why would a venue do that when their setup is top notch (I.E. DJMs, Rane Mixers, etc)

Agreed. I can't ever see a venue making a single format controller as part of their installation. Open format, yes, definitely.
DjFuentes82 2:02 AM - 30 October, 2012
Open format would mean more time getting the system ready for every dj bringing their own equipment as must hardwares sound different in some form. And plus what guarantees does the owner of the venue have that the equipment you're setting up will not crash or have any hiccups. Their set up is already tested for the most part.
[O/][iii][O/] 2:29 AM - 30 October, 2012
Quote:
Open format would mean more time getting the system ready for every dj bringing their own equipment as must hardwares sound different in some form. And plus what guarantees does the owner of the venue have that the equipment you're setting up will not crash or have any hiccups. Their set up is already tested for the most part.

Not necessarily. Think macros. Think public use systems such photo printers that permit god knows what to be plugged in and function with minimal risk. It takes smart design and creating a set of standards. Of course anything can break, but that's cloud has always existed and shouldn't impede progress.
XRM5 3:51 AM - 30 October, 2012
No one cares.
I didn't even read more than a couple sentences, but I'm sure no one cares.

I see yr name, I roll my eyes, I move on, but Jesus, the random bs you find to go on about has no end.
diezdiaz 4:42 AM - 30 October, 2012
this took a turn for the worse.
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:26 AM - 30 October, 2012
Quote:
No one cares.
I didn't even read more than a couple sentences, but I'm sure no one cares.

I see yr name, I roll my eyes, I move on, but Jesus, the random bs you find to go on about has no end.

+1
He has an idea and bashes on about it in as many places as he can. Lol
[O/][iii][O/] 11:45 AM - 30 October, 2012
Quote:
No one cares.

Not true. In fact, there are those that do care (yourself included). If you had taken the time to actually READ the thread before posting you'd know this ;-)

Quote:

I didn't even read more than a couple sentences

Hahahahaha... well obviously (see above)

Quote:

I see yr name, I roll my eyes, I move on

lol again. Nah, you DO care, and you WON'T move one. Your posting is proof of this. Busted ;-)

Quote:
the random bs you find to go on about has no end.

It's called conversation, and it does goes on sometimes because that's what convos do. It's only when trolls such as nik39 pop in and do what trolls do that threads can take turns for the worse like diezdiaz mentioned above. I'll try to steer them back on track sometimes and attempt to get those who apparently aren't reading to go back and read, but it can be futile at times and I'll eventually move on with the convo without them and place them on my troll list to keep watch for because they are negative people.
[O/][iii][O/] 11:57 AM - 30 October, 2012
Quote:
In my opinion, the DDJ-SX is a solid enough controller in terms of build quality, available features, and brand name reputation to be considered as a possible standard for permanent installation in clubs and similar venues - when the clubs and DJs are ready for it.
If I were to walk into a DJ booth in a club and see a DDJ-SX front and center, I would not think "oh what's this toy doing here". It isn't like the Vestax or Numark controllers (the NS6 could be the exception) that have plastic enclosures and smaller form factors, the DDJ-SX looks and feels like professional DJ equipment that clubs could install.
It does have a drastically lower price point in comparison to a traditional CDJ-2000 and DJM-900 setup, but I would only consider that a negative if there were significant drawbacks in performance and features. From everything I've seen and read so far, everything is logically laid out on the controller, and I can't think of a feature that I use now with traditional club equipment that the DDJ-SX doesn't have.
I just don't think that clubs and DJs are comfortable enough with controllers to see them in the booth instead of turntables and CDJs. Not yet anyway.

Again, I think it depends on your area. There are plenty of places I personally know of where people are already ready for something like this to be a complete replacement CDJs or TTs and mixer. Talking small to midsize venues here for now. But the lack of dual USB handicaps the feasibility of this because it's common for those locations to have two or more Serato DJs performing during one event. That's why I don't think it's unreasonable for manufacturers to consider offering units such as the DDJ-SX with dual USB (assuming it's technologically possible) for an added cost because that added cost would not equate to the cost of extra equipment, and it wouldn't require additional real estate to set it up in the booths (which are often not that big).
nik39 12:51 PM - 30 October, 2012
Seriously... you're trying to brush off any valid argument. Indicator for ignorance.

Haze said it correctly already
Quote:

That's the key question.

But you keep on finding lame excuses like "optional" and how it doesn't cost you anything or I don't have to pay anything.
Quote:
Ummm, using it yes it is (see above). And, nobody said YOU have to pay for ANYTHING. Why the hell would you purchase something you don't want?

Of course I have to pay for it!

Lame excuse to call someone a troll, when you simply can not find valid arguments. I have seen quite some ignorance on this forum, but as someone else already said to you: You seem to excel that ignorance.

Sorry, but you don't seem to have a clue about what you're saying and what the industry does or how it does it. But don't expect people to shut up, they will keep on speaking up if you try to spread your *cough* wisdom in this public forum here.
elsupermang 1:00 PM - 30 October, 2012
Dual USB ports would be nice, but it's not here. I'm sure manufactures would love to include it but right now there is not enough demand. Controllers are not standard in clubs, they are mostly a 1 to 1 device right now. It's not like your going to lend someone your controller, they prob will have their own or will use the club's equipment (if there is any). I for one am all for more flexibility in the club setup. What will end up happening is Pioneer will reincorporate more and more controller features back into their CDJ line, keeping the fine line between "PRO" equipment (fine line being the extra $2-3k) and "Toys" (toys being fully capable high-quality controllers).

I'm a technology guy so I love controllers, love all the features, I will DJ on my controller over a turntable any day of the week lol. Pioneer CDJs are essentially now controllers when used in HID mode.
[O/][iii][O/] 1:47 PM - 30 October, 2012
OK, I'll play along a little longer and try again to help you nik39 (even though I'm pretty much convinced you're a troll now) understand what I thought was basic knowledge to any junior high school graduate about how options works since you're apparently having difficulty grasping the concept. Follow along carefully now. I'll use "ACME" as fictitious company name as to not show favoritism in this working example.

ACME produces four controllers in their product lineup, the Dominator X200, Dominator X2000, Dominator X400, and Dominator X4000.

The "Dominator X200" has these feature highlights and is priced at $750: Plastic chassis, 2 platters, 2 channels, 2-band EQs, RCA main output only, single USB

The "Dominator X200" has these feature highlights and is priced at $1500: Aluminum chassis, 2 motorized platters, 2 channels, 3-band EQs, XLR main output, TRS booth output, dual USB

The "Dominator X400" has these feature highlights and is priced at $1000: Plastic chassis, 2 platters, 4 channels, 2-band EQs, RCA main output only, single USB

The "Dominator X4000" has these feature highlights and is priced at $2000: Aluminum chassis, 2 motorized platters, 4 channels, 3-band EQs, XLR main output, TRS booth output, dual USB

As you can clearly see (or maybe not lol), these four models have different OPTIONS and different PRICE POINTS to accommodate different customers needs, desires, and budgets. And guess what nik39, none of which you "Of course I have to pay for it!" if you don't want to.

Hope this helps :-)
elsupermang 2:00 PM - 30 October, 2012
Quote:
OK, I'll play along a little longer and try again to help you nik39 (even though I'm pretty much convinced you're a troll now) understand what I thought was basic knowledge to any junior high school graduate about how options works since you're apparently having difficulty grasping the concept. Follow along carefully now. I'll use "ACME" as fictitious company name as to not show favoritism in this working example.

ACME produces four controllers in their product lineup, the Dominator X200, Dominator X2000, Dominator X400, and Dominator X4000.

The "Dominator X200" has these feature highlights and is priced at $750: Plastic chassis, 2 platters, 2 channels, 2-band EQs, RCA main output only, single USB

The "Dominator X200" has these feature highlights and is priced at $1500: Aluminum chassis, 2 motorized platters, 2 channels, 3-band EQs, XLR main output, TRS booth output, dual USB

The "Dominator X400" has these feature highlights and is priced at $1000: Plastic chassis, 2 platters, 4 channels, 2-band EQs, RCA main output only, single USB

The "Dominator X4000" has these feature highlights and is priced at $2000: Aluminum chassis, 2 motorized platters, 4 channels, 3-band EQs, XLR main output, TRS booth output, dual USB

As you can clearly see (or maybe not lol), these four models have different OPTIONS and different PRICE POINTS to accommodate different customers needs, desires, and budgets. And guess what nik39, none of which you "Of course I have to pay for it!" if you don't want to.

I think you're getting a little ahead of the current state of things. Don't think Numark/Pio are at this point with controllers yet. Having 4 different product lines will increase their costs in manufacturing, R&D, and support. In the end these costs get passed on to us. They will end up with 4 assembly lines, 4 products to update and support, without the demand to fund it. All this when controllers are just **starting** to get some adoption in the overall market. Right now they are putting out stuff in the sweet spot, that is pricing and features where it appeals to the general mass of the market. Just look at the outrage when people saw the $1999 MSRP on the DDJ-SX. I for one would not have bought one at $1500 without some incredible reviews POST-launch.
elsupermang 2:04 PM - 30 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I think you're getting a little ahead of the current state of things. Don't think Numark/Pio are at this point with controllers yet. Having 4 different product lines will increase their costs in manufacturing, R&D, and support. In the end these costs get passed on to us. They will end up with 4 assembly lines, 4 products to update and support, without the demand to fund it. All this when controllers are just **starting** to get some adoption in the overall market. Right now they are putting out stuff in the sweet spot, that is pricing and features where it appeals to the general mass of the market. Just look at the outrage when people saw the $1999 MSRP on the DDJ-SX. I for one would not have bought one at $1500 without some incredible reviews POST-launch.

Another example, Numark put out the NS7, NS6, and V7. Out of all these the V7 was discontinued, I imagine because the sales were not there and the product was not substantially appealing enough over the NS7 and NS6. Too many similar products and they will cannibalize their own sales.
[O/][iii][O/] 2:09 PM - 30 October, 2012
Did you read the thread elsupermang? Just curious because I already addressed what you're talking about earlier in it.
nik39 2:16 PM - 30 October, 2012
Lol. See its pretty obvious you're having issues expressing yourself. Scroll to your initial post. See how you wrote that Serato and the hardware failed to include a second usb port? Nowhere did you mention either an option or a second different variation of that product. Your initial posts shows that in your limited world the sx should have had a second usb port from the beginning, and that other companies should not repeat the same failure.

What failure? The sx doesn't have a second usb port, not only because such a feature doesn't seem to "exists" right now, but also because it would have meant that people like me would have to pay a higher price for a feature they don't want or need.

Seems like you need a few more lessons about the definition of an option. I can help you.

Anyway, even after your long winded attempt to talk about differ variations of a product (this might be called an option- however keep in mind you failed to mention option until I pointed out your flaw).. His again proves you have no idea of that business and lack a general understanding of business in general.

Adding variations of a product raises the costs of a product significantly. Rnd costs, different manufacturing lines, different manuals, packaging, distribution, support, tests and finally... Marketing! ..
Plus then if ten of one million (you seem to be part of those many ten) would buy this optional two usb port variation, this means that the standard version of the product sells less. Lower economy of sales which makes my product even more expensive.

So who pays? Yes, the majority of djs who don't need a second usb port.

But I guess you're too stubborn to a. understand this, b. even if you did you would not acknowledge it. Looks like everyone in this thread understands this - except you.

Next time.. Make sure you think before you post. Your initial post does NOT talk about a second line of products. It does NOT talk about options.
nik39 2:18 PM - 30 October, 2012
(sorry for typos etc... I am on my phone again)
nik39 2:19 PM - 30 October, 2012
And I obviously meant.. Economy of scales.
nik39 2:20 PM - 30 October, 2012
Damned it... Economies of scale.
[O/][iii][O/] 2:21 PM - 30 October, 2012
Speaking of options, I sure wish this forum had an option ignore certain members'/trolls' so we wouldn't have to see their posts lol.
[O/][iii][O/] 2:23 PM - 30 October, 2012
Anyway, if/when a manufacturer decides to add dual USB, you know t'll be a hit and you'll love it (whether or not you'd admit it).
elsupermang 2:27 PM - 30 October, 2012
Quote:
Anyway, if/when a manufacturer decides to add dual USB, you know t'll be a hit and you'll love it (whether or not you'd admit it).

Agreed, but right now, not a deal killer. DDJ-SX will fly off the shelves if it turns out to be a solid unit. All for $850 bucks. Winner to me.
nik39 4:32 PM - 30 October, 2012
Yep, winner.

In contrast to you, I don't have any issues admitting anything. Dual usb would be nice. But if it means that the product will be 300usd more expensive - that's not worth it right now.
haze324 5:08 PM - 30 October, 2012
Also doesn't double USB assume that all DJ's playing at that venue use Serato DJ?

CDJ + Mixer rule the club scene because they provide so many different formats for DJ's to play on (CD, USB, Traktor, SSL, etc.)

I think one of the major homeruns this product has is the price!! Too many more features would obvioulsy make the cost go up and then we'd be complaining that a "controller" cost so much and we'd be better off with a traditional set up because of the redundancy of playing options in the event of equipment failure. Hell even the DDJ Aero which "looks" like a simpler controller cost more and I'm guessing because of the USB, Wifi and Rekordbox integration. These additional features start to add up.
[O/][iii][O/] 5:39 PM - 30 October, 2012
Went back and read my opening post, and yes, it was definitely worded too strong and wrong, so my apologies. For what the DDJ-SX is and the price point it's coming it at, dual USB is not the appropriate unit for it. That being said, I still think there's market for and plenty of room to bridge the enormous gap between the litany of $1K all-in-ones and the $7K-$11K CDJ+mixer+SL4 setups that would step up build quality and include premium features such as dual USB.
nik39 5:43 PM - 30 October, 2012
Apology accepted.
WarpNote 7:30 PM - 30 October, 2012
I do tag-team djing most weekends. I normally hook up my SL4 to the install mixer, and in some cases bring my Sixty Eight. Serious clubs normally have both Technics and CDJs installed. For those larger venues I wouldnt dream of bringing a controller. Its counter productive, more bulk and less flexible compared to SL4/62/68. Not to mention the stigma still associated to controllers.

I havent yet jumped on the controllers myself, as i never was satisfied with Itch. I did do a few event gigs with both the ns6 and the ns7. Might change my mind after demoing the new software.

Actually I wouldnt mind if Pioneer released a SX-II version with dual usb ports. For tag-teaming at smaller events, it would be useful IMO. However, I expect the reason they, or anyone else for the matter, havent released a dual usb unit yet, is the lack of a real demand for such units in todays marked.

In general, pro DJs are a conservative bunch. Most rely on tried & trusted equipment for their gigs. And for good reason. And lets face it, the all-in-one units still cater mostly to the lower end/beginners market. That might change in the future, once DJs are willing to shell out for the extra cost. Basically the unit would need 2 soundcards, ie the price would be considerably higher..
WarpNote 7:33 PM - 30 October, 2012
Quote:
Also doesn't double USB assume that all DJ's playing at that venue use Serato DJ?

As long as a unit would support ASIO/CoreAudio, as well as other leading software, this wouldnt be an issue. As an example, I can run Scratch Live on Laptop A and Ableton on Laptop on my 68 at the same time.
Papa Midnight 9:39 PM - 30 October, 2012
Quote:

I'll attest to that with regards to the NS7... Mine isn't broken, but is most certainly wobbly.
Proggieus 9:54 PM - 30 October, 2012
Quote:
Speaking of options, I sure wish this forum had an option ignore certain members'/trolls' so we wouldn't have to see their posts lol.

Tell me about it,
your constant bitching and moaning about how the DDJ-SX doesn't fit into your pretty little box of a perfect control surface for you is getting really old.

Either buy it and enjoy it for what it can do.
or
forget about it and move on.

I get it, you have an idea of what a perfect controller for you would be. This apparently is not it.

You have two choices. Wait until that perfect controller is released either by Pioneer or some other company. or build it yourself.
DjFuentes82 11:31 PM - 30 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Tell me about it,
your constant bitching and moaning about how the DDJ-SX doesn't fit into your pretty little box of a perfect control surface for you is getting really old.

Either buy it and enjoy it for what it can do.
or
forget about it and move on.

I get it, you have an idea of what a perfect controller for you would be. This apparently is not it.

You have two choices. Wait until that perfect controller is released either by Pioneer or some other company. or build it yourself.

+1
Lol
[O/][iii][O/] 11:37 PM - 30 October, 2012
I don't view requests and input as bitching. This is how ideas get shared, evolve and sometimes realized in finished products. You or anybody else cannot and will not stop that regardless of how much you complain about others who do :-)
Proggieus 12:27 AM - 31 October, 2012
Quote:
I don't view requests and input as bitching. This is how ideas get shared, evolve and sometimes realized in finished products. You or anybody else cannot and will not stop that regardless of how much you complain about others who do :-)

I don't view requests and input as bitching, I view bitching as bitching.

The features are either in the hardware and software or not, you are not going to change that at this point. Sure some of the software features might be added at a future point but the full kill EQs in standalone mode and dual USB will not happen on this unit. you can complain about it until you are blue in the face but that will not change.

Considering that probably 90%+ of the users will use this unit as a software controller and not just a stand alone mixer the full kill is a moot point for 90% of the purchasers. The dual USB also would be a very underused feature by the target market of this unit.

I would be willing to bet that Pioneer has done its research on what features and at what price point a controller would need to be at for it to be a success. The features YOU want were either not needed or requested by their participants or it was not worth the price increase that it would require.

I am not suggesting you should not state your opinion, We all know what your opinion is. I am just saying that hearing it over and over on just about every other post is getting old.

I dont recall seeing a single positive or even neutral post from you on this controller(granted I have been skipping them for the most part and may have missed some), if this controller is that far out from what you require then why are you even still here?

Good Luck in your search
[O/][iii][O/] 12:37 AM - 31 October, 2012
Yeah, you're obviously not reading threads thoroughly before you post. If you had, you'd know where you're off here. Tell ya what, I'll give you this opportunity to go back, read them, and get a clearer picture about what I've said/didn't say and post back your findings before I repost them for you.
Proggieus 1:10 AM - 31 October, 2012
i don't have the time nor the desire the reread your posts.

I've made my point and I am now done with it.

Like you said, if only there was a way to block viewing posts from certain users.
[O/][iii][O/] 1:16 AM - 31 October, 2012
Quote:
i don't have the time nor the desire the reread your posts.

I've made my point and I am now done with it.

But your points are invalid since they're based off of assumptions and/or things that weren't posted :-/
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:21 AM - 31 October, 2012
UNTRACKING!!!
diezdiaz 8:42 AM - 31 October, 2012
I feel while the initial point that small venues like lounges (many of which already have ttm's installed, therefore a "serato" setup) might actually have a use for this, especially if the controller was made "software agnostic" (something that could also serve traktor users as well as analog users), would be a good point - sorry OiiiO but the way the way you carried on your argument made people dissuaded to even listen to your point.
Basic politics - as hard as it is, never belittle someone for not seeing your point, just keep making your point. You may have had a more captive audience before calling peoples age into question, and making disagreements into personal attacks. It's easy to do, but so is shooting yourself in the foot.

Chill dude
[O/][iii][O/] 12:50 PM - 31 October, 2012
I hear ya diezdiaz, and you're probably right about the politics thing, it's just that I'm convinced at times by reading certain replies that these are just kids who aren't actually reading posts thoroughly before they post because what they say often times isn't what was said. This wacky cycle happens not only on this thread, but others as well. No big deal (it's sad, but actually kinda funny sometimes), but I see quite a few people understood what I was getting at, agreed with concepts and real world applications, and with any luck manufacturers who surf the board understood it too and will put it on the table back at their HQs for discussion. Many features have been implemented this way over the years and that's all I really care about. Could careless about the other trivial stuff others try to drag in.
Asu 1:09 PM - 31 October, 2012
Anything is possible if you put your mind to it... 2 usb ports are theoretically possible...2 more ports on deck A & B for flash drives would be cool too.

But from a business perspective i think it's impossible because that'd kill the real need for a cdj or expensive Rane dual usb mixer.

Serato makes money on the hardware end. so they have to think everything through and not give too much away that'll kill other products...my 2 cents
nik39 1:21 PM - 31 October, 2012
Quote:
I hear ya diezdiaz, and you're probably right about the politics thing [...] these are just kids who aren't actually reading posts thoroughly before they post because what they say often times isn't what was said

Dude, get off your high horse! What you repeatedly preach is highly ignorant and just shows your lack of tact. Discussion seems to be okay for you, if people agree with you. As soon as they disagree with you you're starting to get defensive in a bad way. Remember - this is a public forum. Anyone can comment on your idea. If you don't want people to comment on your ideas (good AND bad) then you should not post on a public forum. Send an email to the manufacturers and complain to them.

It is obvious that you have your own very limited strict opinion how your dream controller looks like. That is totally fine. I don't understand how small things make you suddenly go "this is a FAIL", but that's again up to you. To each his own, and everyone has to decide which features are a "must", which are "nice to have" and which are "don't care". It looks like many features are a "must" for you, and if the devices do not support them, then they are a fail for you. It's a bit extreme, IMHO, but that's your decision.

This is the difficult part. That's *your* decision. It is fine to post *your* opinion. But often you try to display your opinion as the truth, as the opinion which many share with you. It is fine to emphasize your ideas, to put some pressure to those ideas making sure it is being recognized by others. But I have seen a couple of users actually complaining about the way you do this. There is a fine line between making your ideas outstanding and making your ideas look ridiculous.

What I'd like to criticize is your choice of words. As a few.. (erm.. many others.. ;) ) have pointed out, you seem to like to personally attack people. Not nice. Belittling people. Not nice. This thread is a perfect example, and your last post just proves it again:

Quote:
it's just that I'm convinced at times by reading certain replies that these are just kids who aren't actually reading posts thoroughly before they post because what they say often times isn't what was said

You still keep in repeating this, after you apologized. What you said and repeated again is totally inappropriate, esp. after you have acknowledged that you were using too harsh and wrong words at the beginning of this thread.

Wow. It gives the impression that you didn't really mean it when you apologized, because otherwise you would not repeat the same terms which you mean in a derogative way.
Asu 1:30 PM - 31 October, 2012
Anyone excited?...D-day is 2moro..."Official" shipments of DDJ-SX begins tonight for those who pre-ordered (a few people were lucky enough to pickup a DDJ-SX from Sam Ash grrrr!)

...Serato DJ download link will be live after midnight i hear
[O/][iii][O/] 1:43 PM - 31 October, 2012
What I apologized for was the opening post (see below), and yes I did mean it. What I was acknowledging is that the DDJ-SX isn't really a high-end unit and therefor doesn't really merit the kind of feature I'm advocating and used inappropriate word "fail" because of this. And the DDJ-SX is probably just fine for what it is, but that is a huge gap between it and the 7-11K range where a high-end controller would be appropriate for certain premium features, one of which is dual USB. That's it.

Quote:
Went back and read my opening post, and yes, it was definitely worded too strong and wrong, so my apologies. For what the DDJ-SX is and the price point it's coming it at, dual USB is not the appropriate unit for it. That being said, I still think there's market for and plenty of room to bridge the enormous gap between the litany of $1K all-in-ones and the $7K-$11K CDJ+mixer+SL4 setups that would step up build quality and include premium features such as dual USB.

And here's the opening post for reference.

Quote:
Sad to see the first official Serato DJ controller failed to include dual USB on the launch of Serato's new sate-of-the-art system. Other hardware manufacturers who will be producing compatible controllers please don't make the same mistake. Serato please work together with your "partners" to make this happen as you have with Rane on SL4, SIXTY-TWO, and SIXTY-EIGHT. Thanks

Regarding the perceived belittling be using the word "kids", it's not intentional. Like I said, I'm just not understanding how people such as yourself aren't able to follow a simple thread and claim things were said that weren't. Only explanation I can come come up with is that it must be kids on the other end who aren't able or willing to stay on track. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what it looks like on this end. Anyway, like I said, the message about the feature request is out there and understood by some and I'm good with that. I'm out now. Thanks
nik39 2:01 PM - 31 October, 2012
Quote:
Regarding the perceived belittling be using the word "kids", it's not intentional.

Oh you mean it happened accidentally? C'mon. The amount of times you used the word and the way you used it - do you really think anyone will believe when you say that you didn't mean it as a belittling term?

Quote:
Like I said, I'm just not understanding how people such as yourself aren't able to follow a simple thread and claim things were said that weren't.

Here we go again.

Use the proper words, and the proper terms, then people will understand you. It's not that I am the only one who seems to misunderstand you. In the other threads you claim how important this and that feature is, you bring up terms like "many". There must be a reason why you use the word many, right? Because you want to emphasize that "many" djs think the way you do. Because you want to say that the number of DJ's ("many") you know which agree with you is relevant. If it was not relevant, why would you use the word "many" then?

As soon as I brought this up and we discussed this issue you started with your personal attacks.

Personal attacks coming from you which other users have criticized.

Anyway, it's pretty obvious you, on you're high horse, don't care. You don't care about civil discussions, you don't care about other opinions either. That's called ignorance. You have shown this multiple times on this forum already.
haze324 4:48 PM - 31 October, 2012
I think if more than one person has a certain perception that requests sound like bitching, then the perception is possibly true. It's not like this is an isolated thread/comment.

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but folks are probably perceiving it a negative way. I would re-look at my approach or it will always be viewed as this. EIther is bitching, or it's taken as bitching. Either way, it's lose/lose.
Dj Wunder 11:20 PM - 31 October, 2012
Hey, uhm, is there a wiki for this thread? I'd like to take in the important information without all the bullshit...
tristraum 5:35 AM - 17 May, 2013
My few biggest beefs with considering a controller are: most don't offer XLR. Duh. Clubs have balanced connections. Can't do shit with RCA. Toys. Second, most offerings have small start / cue buttons. Another obvious fail. We grew up with cdjs as the standard. Make those most used buttons big. Not tiny shitty little things. As if the designers have never DJed for real.

I have serato. Downloaded itch and SDJ to rest controllers in store. See what happens. The booth in my club requires xlr and dual USB would be great for tag team nights.

If I drop a grand on my gear, I'm not leaving it for anyone. Other djs you don't know don't respect any one else's gear. Nuff said
phatbob 9:12 AM - 17 May, 2013
Quote:
My few biggest beefs with considering a controller are: most don't offer XLR. Duh. Clubs have balanced connections. Can't do shit with RCA. Toys. Second, most offerings have small start / cue buttons. Another obvious fail. We grew up with cdjs as the standard. Make those most used buttons big. Not tiny shitty little things. As if the designers have never DJed for real.

Not sure which controllers you've been looking at. Intro ones maybe?

The more expensive, high-end controllers all offer XLR connections, and have comfortably large play/cue buttons.
Papa Midnight 3:06 PM - 17 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Not sure which controllers you've been looking at. Intro ones maybe?

The more expensive, high-end controllers all offer XLR connections, and have comfortably large play/cue buttons.

Yup.
Ragman 4:50 PM - 17 May, 2013
Quote:
[...] We grew up with cdjs as the standard. [...]

I'm officially old as heII. ;-)
deejdave 3:05 PM - 18 May, 2013
Quote:

I have serato. Downloaded itch and SDJ to rest controllers in store. See what happens. The booth in my club requires xlr and dual USB would be great for tag team nights.

If I drop a grand on my gear, I'm not leaving it for anyone. Other djs you don't know don't respect any one else's gear. Nuff said

The OP of this thread had me thinking as its a very useful feature two have the dual USB's and bea able to utilize the two laptops. The only problem I immediately thought of which was very easy to find evidence of is price. If people find $1000 to be a lot chances are they will never be willing to drop what it costs to run dual laptops. also they probably would not be willing to pay the price increase it takes to run the controller that offers it. In the CDJ world.............. maybe. Having a Nexus system I payed around $6000 for just the cdj's & the mixer and yes I DO expect perfection. I'm not saying one should settle when buying a controller and I DO feel they should reach for the stars n see what they can get out of it I/m just saying it may not be the price point to be expecting a feature such as dual USB's.

Simply put Serato may/Probably see's it as if they put the time/money into developing & releasing such a thing, would their controller consumers (again who feel they are paying an arm & a leg as it is) be willing to shell out double what they have already to utilize it?
deejdave 3:10 PM - 18 May, 2013
Just to clarify though I DO feel it would be an awesome addition as I have the DDJ-SX as well as my nexus system and if someone other than Numark (just my opinion not saying theres no market for them) released a controller with said functionality I would indeed own that as well. I would however have to purchase a third MacBook though being I already use one for my nexus system (main set) and one for my DDJ-SX (requests & mainstream music) at any given gig. I would have to move things around and/or come up with a new setup but I would love the opportunity.