DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

EV Elx112p vs Yamaha DXR12

DJ NoNseNse 3:45 PM - 21 October, 2012
Need a system for small and medium gigs. It's between the Elx112p and the DXR12. They both sound good in the store but I haven't heard them outside of the store yet. Is it worth the extra money for the DXR12?
DJ Tracktion 6:22 PM - 21 October, 2012
I use the Elx112 for small gigs and ceremony/cocktail duty as well....I already had the Elx115 and wanted to stay EV. I find they are fine for this purpose and no need to spend the extra $$ for the DXR12's...(I had looked at those and the 8's and 10's for the same applications, as well as the zxa1)
DJ NoNseNse 9:15 PM - 21 October, 2012
How many people at these gigs?
skinnyguy 9:28 PM - 21 October, 2012
i prefer the sound of the yamaha dx over the ev elx.
JDforKing 9:42 PM - 21 October, 2012
I have the dxr15 and they are great speakers for the money. I had the elx and i prefer the sound of the dxr over the sound of the elx.
DJ NoNseNse 12:31 AM - 22 October, 2012
Does it really make a difference if I use DXR 15's with a sub compared to using 12's since you can cut the low frequencies with them?
JDforKing 2:16 AM - 22 October, 2012
You can definitely use the dxr 15 without a sub. I do. Great bass response for a 15. You still need to know your limitations.
DJ Tracktion 5:36 AM - 22 October, 2012
Quote:
Does it really make a difference if I use DXR 15's with a sub compared to using 12's since you can cut the low frequencies with them?

The 15's I believe have a higher max spl then the 12's...so take that in to account..
Discobee 9:15 AM - 22 October, 2012
EV ELX112P has weak ass bass. If the Yamahas have decent bass, go with those. Otherwise you'll have to go ELX115 for decent bass.
DJ NoNseNse 2:51 PM - 22 October, 2012
Quote:
EV ELX112P has weak ass bass. If the Yamahas have decent bass, go with those. Otherwise you'll have to go ELX115 for decent bass.

That's what subwoofers are for.
Discobee 7:43 PM - 22 October, 2012
Then the ELX112P should suit your situation just fine.
Taipanic 3:19 PM - 23 October, 2012
I think the size/weight/cost tradeoff is worth it for the better sound quality of the EV 15 over the 12. The 15 has a much fuller sound whether you are using subs or not.
ernie 3:37 PM - 18 June, 2013
I think i like the EV ZLX 15 better.. 1000 watts with DSP control and the $499 price... and yamaha is well known for PIANOS that the first thing comes in my mind...
DJ NoNseNse 5:32 AM - 19 June, 2013
Im already set on getting the zlx12p
MarqSimeon 4:05 AM - 30 March, 2014
Happy with your choice?
raequan 1:49 PM - 30 March, 2014
i have 4 zlx 12p's i use the for monitor use in a band application....

For FOH its not going to cut it for a large crowd i see the clip lights blink.

i have used the zlx 12p for a small party about 65 people nice and tight but it didnt like reggae or hard basslined music.

if your going to use with a sub you can cover about 150.

the elx 15p i have also can do over 150 with a sub and do a party with over 100 without sub.

for outdoor gigs i use all passive ev's
MarqSimeon 7:48 PM - 30 March, 2014
Quote:
i have 4 zlx 12p's i use the for monitor use in a band application....

For FOH its not going to cut it for a large crowd i see the clip lights blink.

i have used the zlx 12p for a small party about 65 people nice and tight but it didnt like reggae or hard basslined music.

if your going to use with a sub you can cover about 150.

the elx 15p i have also can do over 150 with a sub and do a party with over 100 without sub.

for outdoor gigs i use all passive ev's

So for outdoor block party style hip-hop/Dancehall events its a no go for the ev's?
raequan 8:12 PM - 30 March, 2014
i have the old school 4 ev t18 subs that are passive with upgraded b&c woofers and i also have ev qrx 15 tops. they do fine out doors..... but i will be getting zxa5's for tops.....to lighten my load them qrx's are heavy

the t18's do fine with hip hop and reggae.

the ev zlx 12p is a no go for out doors FOH.
Al Poulin 10:39 PM - 30 March, 2014
Spend the extra $$$ and get the DXR15. It has noticeably better and deeper bass that either ELX12 or DXR12 and is still Under 50lbs. I just love mine. Perfect for small to medium wedding type events without subs.

Al
Joee 12:26 AM - 31 March, 2014
Quote:
Spend the extra $$$ and get the DXR15. It has noticeably better and deeper bass that either ELX12 or DXR12 and is still Under 50lbs. I just love mine. Perfect for small to medium wedding type events without subs.

Al

+1
raequan 1:19 AM - 31 March, 2014
i will cosign the DXR 15. but not for block parties
MarqSimeon 3:25 AM - 31 March, 2014
Quote:

Even with subs?
raequan 4:07 AM - 31 March, 2014
you need alot of subs for outdoors..

dxr15 are close to the zxa5... so pair them up with 4 yorkville ls801p you have a descent sounding system outdoors.

it also depends on how many people will be there.

this is an out door system

mg96.imageshack.us/img96/6646/img6064uy.jpg
pdidy 4:27 AM - 31 March, 2014
Quote:
you need alot of subs for outdoors..

dxr15 are close to the zxa5... so pair them up with 4 yorkville ls801p you have a descent sounding system outdoors.

it also depends on how many people will be there.

this is an out door system

mg96.imageshack.us/img96/6646/img6064uy.jpg

link fail
pdidy 4:54 AM - 31 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Even with subs?

The major problem with your questions is none of us know you personally and understand what YOUR expectations are....

Apparently raequan and I have similar requirements and expectations because we would use the same setup but I would require 4 tops
outside....i26.photobucket.com

Btw, I've used the EV zlx 15p's outside (its louder than the 12) and they were severely inadequate for my expectations. In fact 2 EV zlx 15p's were equal in output too approx. 1 Yorkville 750p. The output of a 750p is comparable to a DXR15
i26.photobucket.com
pdidy 5:04 AM - 31 March, 2014
"dxr15 are close to the zxa5"

Correction: 2 dxr15 are close to 1 zxa5 ;)
MarqSimeon 3:07 PM - 31 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Even with subs?

The major problem with your questions is none of us know you personally and understand what YOUR expectations are....

Well I'm keeping quite a few outdoor dances this year, as I have in the past. I'm trying now to build a passive sound just because now, long story short, its me one. I know a bit, but I'm no engineer. I know for a fact I'm gonna need subs because I play for people who want the bass to loosen up chest colds lol but I want to buy and keep building, not replace. I don't expect to get more than 150 ppl at a given time. after extensive research (late night forum searching and multiple trips to local retailers and GC) I was almost sold on the zlx's but if for a few extra bills (a pair for 15) I can get substantially bigger sound then, well........
Joee 3:11 PM - 31 March, 2014
^ do NOT buy the EV ZLX'S for outdoor use!
MarqSimeon 3:20 PM - 31 March, 2014
Quote:
^ do NOT buy the EV ZLX'S for outdoor use!

and the Yamaha's??? I'm in smallville Upstate NY so what boxes I can test here are very limited. the dxr15's are the best I've been able to hear beat so far. but the store is so small, iPhone ear buds shake the walls
Joee 3:33 PM - 31 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Al

+1
MiguelL 10:26 PM - 31 March, 2014
i have 2x ELX112p and 2x ELX118P subs. I do receptions @ hotels easily holding 250-300people (mostly wedding receptions).

ive also used this setup in a small club/lounge that held 150-ish people... so its a pretty decent setup if you asked me.
Al Poulin 12:13 AM - 1 April, 2014
For outdoor use, I would opt for DSR115 (or DSR112s IF you are using subs) The higher applied power and bigger compression driver means they get louder than the DXR tops. I personally prefer the sound of the DXR line for smaller indoor applications - which are mostly what I do, but outside, a bigger compression driver really helps.

Al
MarqSimeon 1:51 AM - 1 April, 2014
Quote:
For outdoor use, I would opt for DSR115 (or DSR112s IF you are using subs) The higher applied power and bigger compression driver means they get louder than the DXR tops. I personally prefer the sound of the DXR line for smaller indoor applications - which are mostly what I do, but outside, a bigger compression driver really helps.

Al

Is the sound that big of a difference for the extra $$$$?
Al Poulin 1:59 AM - 1 April, 2014
If you were to compare DXR15 to DSR115 : for the extra cost of the 115, you get a more durable (road worthy) line-x finish, higher quality neodymium transducers and more applied power and more headroom overall. The bigger horn in the DSR115 is a little forward in small places, but great to have in bigger ones and outside. (I would rather have the DSRs for live band use)

The advantages of the DXR15 are the much better mixer section, dual angle pole mount and lower price. I also prefer its slightly more ear friendly sound for smaller events in smaller places, which is mostly what I do.

Both are great sounding cabinets with plenty of technology/processing built in to maximize the potential of the drivers. Both are also well protected and backed by a great warranty.

Al
pdidy 2:06 AM - 1 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Al

Is the sound that big of a difference for the extra $$$$?

Its all a matter of opinion so it all depends on who you're asking.
Is there a big difference between a basic Dell and an Alienware ?
How about a MacBook vs a MacBook pro, is it worth it ?

This is a question only YOU can decide.....

but in my opinion, if you can afford it get the best.....If you cant, the question is moot.....
Al Poulin 2:13 AM - 1 April, 2014
It really depends on WHAT exactly your typical applications are. I don't need the extra output the DSR115s are capable of (I've rarely ever seen the limit lights on the DXR15s light up) and enjoy having a flexible mixer section - so the DXR15s were the right choice for me.

Al
pdidy 2:20 AM - 1 April, 2014
Quote:
It really depends on WHAT exactly your typical applications are. I don't need the extra output the DSR115s are capable of (I've rarely ever seen the limit lights on the DXR15s light up) and enjoy having a flexible mixer section - so the DXR15s were the right choice for me.

Al

Right Al, You and I have different applications. But if im reading MarqSimeon correctly, he wants Big sound which is more like what I do.
MarqSimeon 3:41 AM - 1 April, 2014
Quite so pdidy. I know the sound that I want is <bass which is why I am trying to keep the cost of tops down to a minimum without sacrificing quality so I can go for subs that really lick,
MarqSimeon 3:51 AM - 1 April, 2014
And by minimum I mean just that. I do know you get what you pay for and i'm not looking for miracle boxes but I do want quality.
raequan 12:20 PM - 1 April, 2014
unfortunately that miracle top speaker your looking is the ZXA5..... i have tried every which way from sunday to figure out new top box to buy that is active and not $2000.... the Zxa5 wins the price is high but i know what im getting and the bottom line the job will get done...

now the miracle sub is still the yorkville the best bang for your buck......

if your handy with tools and wood

Speakerplans.com