DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Output levels

DjShadow734 4:03 AM - 15 October, 2012
I would like to know if there are any programs out there that can make all of the music and videos play @ the same volume?
Esco... 6:46 AM - 15 October, 2012
mp3gain. It's what I use. Makes the volume almost all the same, but you will still have to make minute changes. Makes matching the gains pretty easy though.
DJ Matty Stiles 9:01 AM - 15 October, 2012
platinum notes
phatbob 10:08 AM - 15 October, 2012
Just turn on autogain in Scratch Live.

It's not perfect, but it's easy to tweak the occasional ones it gets wrong. And nothing permanent is done to your files.

I wouldn't recommend Platinum Notes unless you're willing to export as lossless from it, with the storage implications of doing so. Otherwise you're transcoding mp3 to mp3, and the associated quality loss will not be outweighed by any potential benefits.
s3kn0tr0n1c 11:13 AM - 15 October, 2012
Quote:

It's not perfect, but it's easy to tweak the occasional ones it gets wrong. And nothing permanent is done to your files.

+1

Any it does get a little out you can manually tweak it and SL saves it for future use ;)
DJ GaFFle 12:45 PM - 15 October, 2012
Quote:

I wouldn't recommend Platinum Notes unless you're willing to export as lossless from it, with the storage implications of doing so. Otherwise you're transcoding mp3 to mp3, and the associated quality loss will not be outweighed by any potential benefits.

+1, don't jack up your entire library unless you consider the re-transcoding implications above. Use Autogain in Scratch Live.
DJ Matty Stiles 1:55 PM - 15 October, 2012
you can export as wav using platinum notes but the best option is to turn on autogain and re-analyse your entire library
DjShadow734 5:03 PM - 16 October, 2012
Thanks Guys i will turn on autogain. I lost most of my music/videos an now have alot of BS from other people etc.
DJ Matty Stiles 10:52 AM - 17 October, 2012
just go to all crate, select all, and drag on to "analyse files". You can't just turn on auto gain, tracks need to be re-analysed. it shouldnt be too much hassle
spirez 11:50 AM - 17 October, 2012
I found my levels are better when autogain is off TBH. I have to adjust less tracks when I turn it off.
spirez 11:50 AM - 17 October, 2012
What setting do most of you guys tend to use?
DjShadow734 9:59 PM - 19 October, 2012
i did that last night set it @ 96db.
DJ GaFFle 10:30 PM - 19 October, 2012
Quote:
i did that last night set it @ 96db.

That may be way too high, I believe it should be around 91- 93dB.

Look at your tunes as they play and tell us if the song meter (on the Serato GUI) tickles the red or stays in the red heavily. I try to adjust mine where it does not even tickle the red. You don't want your source to be distorted.
DjShadow734 11:21 PM - 19 October, 2012
Yes you was right they were tickling and really hitting the Red so i took it down to 93db an will keep an eye it THANKS!!!