Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Why it would be wise to invest in the DDJ-SX!

DJ Xio 9:34 PM - 14 October, 2012
In case you're still wondering if the DDJ-SX is the controller for you, let's look at what Pioneer has done.

They have partnered with Serato in the rebranding of ITCH to be the exclusive launching Partner of Serato DJ.

They have created a Professional 4 Channel Midi Controller with XLR Outputs, Booth Output, 2 Mic Inputs, Dedicated Mixer & Velocity Sample / Trigger Pads.

They have also priced this unit at an incredibly low $999 price.

Very non pioneer like pricing.

It's clear Pioneer is shooting to make the DDJ-SX the new standard or should I say the first real standard in the DJ Controller market.

Like it or not Pioneer is king in clubs, they make superb DJ equipment and they have all the money in the world to make the DDJ-SX the new standard, and I'm sure they will.

They have done a fantastic Job hardware wise and they have knocked it out of the ballpark with the $999 Price Tag.

We all know Serato will seal the deal with the Software and we can easily crown the DDJ-SX as the first real DJ controller in the industry to be looked upon by others.

I don't care if Numark or any other brand comes with an 8 channel controller with 32 trigger pads... Branding matters, reliability matters, quality matters... and Pioneer has it all!!!

So if you're serious about DJing, do yourself a favor and stop wasting time and money in other controllers, because the Pioneer DDJ-SX is it!!!
DJdaveZ 12:46 AM - 15 October, 2012
yeah its a good thing for both companies. and it prompted the new software which will be available to old controllers too (except dx of course). but more along those lines, i agree with you. it might just be a new standard. and great way to convert cdj guys to a better interface.
Ragman 2:23 AM - 15 October, 2012
I agree, right now the SX is a beast among the current controllers but they've all had their moment when they first came out. However, realistically, technology in controllers change to much to label one a defacto standard. Unless you meant standard for the next 2-3 months. Or if you're a die hard Pio fanboy then disregard this comment. ;-)
DJ Xio 2:39 AM - 15 October, 2012
Quote:
I agree, right now the SX is a beast among the current controllers but they've all had their moment when they first came out. However, realistically, technology in controllers change to much to label one a defacto standard. Unless you meant standard for the next 2-3 months. Or if you're a die hard Pio fanboy then disregard this comment. ;-)

Lol. Mark my words. This will be the leading controller until the ddj-sx2 comes out!
Ragman 3:48 AM - 15 October, 2012
I gotta admit, it is a badass looking mofo. And it's hitting all the right points as far as features and build. But it's gotta earn the right to be called standard. Not just come out and look the part. We'll see how it goes. Numark is a very innovative company. The could kill it with a worthy successor to the NS7 if they stick with the motorize platters plus similar features as the SX.
DJ Xio 4:29 AM - 15 October, 2012
Quote:
I gotta admit, it is a badass looking mofo. And it's hitting all the right points as far as features and build. But it's gotta earn the right to be called standard. Not just come out and look the part. We'll see how it goes. Numark is a very innovative company. The could kill it with a worthy successor to the NS7 if they stick with the motorize platters plus similar features as the SX.

Although I admit the spinning platters are a cool feature to have and they sur will attract a lot of scratch DJs, they are also heavy and due to moving parts more prone to failure.

More importantly, Numark is still looked down upon by many DJs in my neck of the woods.
Although they are slowly building a better image with innovative technologies, they still have a long way to go!!!

Only the future will tell, but I'm putting my cards on Pioneer!
Panotaker 3:55 PM - 15 October, 2012
The hardcore NS7/V7 users are never going to switch to a controller that doesn't have spinning platters. I rather go back to using turntables.
DJ Cs 5:20 PM - 15 October, 2012
I agree, Numark could really hit a homerun with all the features of the ddj-sx And spinning platters. Turn the motor off to have CD-j control like you can now.
DJ CAPRO 7:01 PM - 15 October, 2012
About 1 out of 10 of the booths I play has enough room to put one of these size units, which is why I will stick with my VCI-300 and would only upgrade to a 380...

If it was for home the SX looks like it would be boss. Curious to know if the wheels are as good as an 800.
raedonquan 7:40 PM - 15 October, 2012
i think the SX for mobile work will be king. As of now i use the Denon Mc-6000w/ SL1 dont like not having midi feedback to light the buttons. i do have a vci -300 and vfx for the real small parties.

i have been waiting for a controller like this for a while and your right Pioneer has possibly hit a home run with this new controller.

Im getting it.
DJ K-Ceaser 8:40 PM - 15 October, 2012
What's Good!!! Already Pre-Ordered Mine, I can't wait for this system to Drop.
diezdiaz 5:26 AM - 16 October, 2012
preordered mine tonight - theyre saying itll ship on the 25th.
heres to hoping for a smooth launch
Maver1ck 1:07 PM - 16 October, 2012
Why haven't they shown the software yet if they are so close to the hardware release date? That worries me a bit. I know software can be tweaked after the fact with updates, but you don't want to be a beta tester during your live gigs.
Ragman 8:47 PM - 16 October, 2012
That's why i will patiently wait a few months after it drops before I make a decision to purchase.
DJ Xio 9:00 PM - 16 October, 2012
Quote:
Why haven't they shown the software yet if they are so close to the hardware release date? That worries me a bit. I know software can be tweaked after the fact with updates, but you don't want to be a beta tester during your live gigs.

Apparently its feature ready... they are just tweaking the interface.

This has nothing to do with stability and all with design!
saNppa 9:04 PM - 16 October, 2012
Will DDJ-SX become club standard? No it won't. Since Traktor and RekordBox can operate directly with new Pioneer CDJ's, most pc-deejays will continue the to use them along side with cd-dj's. Let's be honast. At this point we controller-dj's are minority. IF the change happens, even the Pioneer itself has made better models before that, not to mention the competitors.

I have NS6, but I'm quite sure I'll buy DDJ-SX, 'cos it has the upgrades that NS6 needs... or personally need/want. In my book DDJ-SX is NS6mk2, nothing more. Still it's nice hardware. Do I really NEED it to replace NS6? No, I don't. I'm just buying it for the fun. If it sucks or software is buggy, I still NS6 with Itch2.1 (2.2.2 was a bad joke). Let's face it, none of us haven't seen the software nor tested it, so does it work like we want it work?
pdidy 6:41 AM - 17 October, 2012
Quote:
I know software can be tweaked after the fact with updates, but you don't want to be a beta tester during your live gigs.

True....
Any "Professional" dj who purchases new untested gear with no stable / reliable backup system is an utter fool.

So anyone who sells their working system prior to buying and rigorously testing the DDJ-SX over a significant amount of time.......yea im talkin bout you....
phatbob 10:46 AM - 17 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
I know software can be tweaked after the fact with updates, but you don't want to be a beta tester during your live gigs.

True....
Any "Professional" dj who purchases new untested gear with no stable / reliable backup system is an utter fool.

So anyone who sells their working system prior to buying and rigorously testing the DDJ-SX over a significant amount of time.......yea im talkin bout you....

Amen to that. Say it again brother!

Not everyone can afford the new hotness without selling their old gear first, for sure. But those people should exercise a bit of patience then, and let other people have the early-adopter issues.
Dj Cooly C 9:45 PM - 17 October, 2012
Quote:

Cool I love a challenge
blackavenger 6:29 AM - 18 October, 2012
Quote:
More importantly, Numark is still looked down upon by many DJs in my neck of the woods.
Although they are slowly building a better image with innovative technologies, they still have a long way to go!!!

Funny, because I remember a day when Numark were top dogs in the DJ Mixer market....this mixer used to be the "install" at our local House of Blues waaaay back in the day.....

www.numark.com
dj-freestyle 4:23 PM - 18 October, 2012
Numark was huge back in the day and who remember mtx. Alot of clubs had mtx mixers way back when i first started.
blackavenger 6:10 PM - 18 October, 2012
Haha, I remember MTX
dj-freestyle 6:51 PM - 18 October, 2012
Back in the day mtx was the dopeness. they had that button that did samples. It was a big plastic button on the mixer. it sounded like crap but it recorded.
FabulousFrequencies 11:47 PM - 18 October, 2012
I'm going to thank Pioneer and Serato for rendering my VFX-1 less than fully operational b y never buying a Pioneer product. I could care less about 'names' or that 380/ns6 Frankenstein they're dropping.

- Matt
Dj cuervo 11:52 PM - 18 October, 2012
Ok I have 1000 to blow which one should I buy pioneer or vci 380. I own a vci 300 now. Need some advice guys.
saNppa 12:11 AM - 19 October, 2012
Quote:
Ok I have 1000 to blow which one should I buy pioneer or vci 380. I own a vci 300 now. Need some advice guys.

All the specs are there! Found out their differences and ask yourself which features are important and which are not. They both are better. It's just how look at it. Do you want small/light, 2 or 4 decks, stand-alone mixer, balanced booth out... something else?
DJ Xio 12:16 AM - 19 October, 2012
Quote:

That shouldn't even be a question.

the VCI-380 looks like a toy next to the pioneer!
DJ Xio 12:16 AM - 19 October, 2012
Quote:

saNppa 12:21 AM - 19 October, 2012
DJ Xio, what if the guy likes small&light controller (for mobility or small dj booths) and doesn't need/use four decks? What it looks like - irrelevant. What it sounds like in your hands and suits your purposes - everything. Let's remember, we all have different needs and different work flows. Let's hear what the bird boy says.
DJ dVO 1:03 AM - 19 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

And you know this because you owned one?
DJ Xio 1:18 AM - 19 October, 2012
That is true, but for the price the Pioneer is so much more!!! :o

I owned a VCI-300 it was pretty flimsy compared to the more robust players out there!

Let's not forget the Pioneer gives you 4 channels, internal mixer and pioneer reliability / quality!

Quote:
DJ Xio, what if the guy likes small&light controller (for mobility or small dj booths) and doesn't need/use four decks? What it looks like - irrelevant. What it sounds like in your hands and suits your purposes - everything. Let's remember, we all have different needs and different work flows. Let's hear what the bird boy says.
phatbob 2:08 AM - 19 October, 2012
Quote:

I owned a VCI-300 it was pretty flimsy compared to the more robust players out there!

Let's not forget the Pioneer gives you 4 channels, internal mixer and pioneer reliability / quality!

Quote:

I'm excited for the SX, I'll probably be ordering, but to make out like its the second coming before you've used it is just silly.

It might suck. You DON'T know.

And at least one booth I play in weekly will simply not accommodate a controller of that size. So in that case it could be the best bit of DJ gear of all time, and it would still be useless to me.

Horses for courses...
FabulousFrequencies 2:35 AM - 19 October, 2012
Quote:

That's right! It's.... a.... Pioneer? Yeah, the name is all I can think of.

Tell me... just how SOLID have the last upteen thousand forays into MIDI controllers Pioneer released been? Every new controller in their lineup feels like cheap shit in comparison to the VCI-300. I know, I handled them all before I bought mine. What are you comparing this to exactly? And NONE of us have touched the SX yet so you really can't compare it to ANYTHING.

I for one, am weary of all the name riding. And the fact that they released a bunch of epic fails into the midi market and NOW have to take cues from Vestax and Numark feature design is going to make them a 'Leader' in this market? I don't think so. They made their desperate attempt to get into this market more than once and this time around they had to borrow other makers ideas and throw a bunch of money at Serato. This is a desperate cry for help and name riding at it's finest..

'We're Pioneer! Save us! If you don't, we'll have to shut an entire department down once the entire planet goes MIDI! HELP!'

This is EXACTLY how crap products enter a market and push good ones out. So go ahead and ride the name. I'll just buy stuff that is well built and meets my feature needs. I don't pay for names and i'd rather see someone who has a clue succeed, than a name.

- Matt
phatbob 2:40 AM - 19 October, 2012
See, you've just gone too far the other direction... You're assuming it's gonna be shit because its Pioneer and you don't like their other stuff.

Why can't we just take new stuff on its own merits, when it's available to try? Is that not the sensible move?
[O/][iii][O/] 3:02 AM - 19 October, 2012
lol at how anyone thinks they can predict right now what the DDJ-SX will/won't be. So many things about it are still unknown.
FabulousFrequencies 3:08 AM - 19 October, 2012
Quote:
See, you've just gone too far the other direction... You're assuming it's gonna be shit because its Pioneer and you don't like their other stuff.

Why can't we just take new stuff on its own merits, when it's available to try? Is that not the sensible move?

Summarize everything I said and it all leads to: Stop calling it the tits because it's a Pioneer, the last ones weren't too damn great and NOBODY has touched THIS one.

So tell me where I didn't behave sensibly about it it? Tell me where I said I didn't like Pioneer in general? I said the last batch of midi's sucked and the non-midi stuff doesn't exactly tickle my fancy although the CDJ2000's are nice IMHO. I simply think the nut riding should stop. Nobody's used it yet, plain and simple. And here we have posts galore about how the whole world should run out and get it.

And FYI, I use to hold a repair contract with Pioneer electronics when I had my repair shop. I've had my hands in electronics from all of their audio divisions and nothing special goes on inside their products. I hope that bit of news doesn't break any hearts. In fact, the only thing they ever did I appreciated was the fluid dampers on their CD carriers. Something that helped them significantly in the CDJ models AND their car audio head units. It gave them superb vibration damping.

A lot of people boast their 'quality' and I use to handle that 'quality' on a semi daily basis, intimitely. Let me tell you about a company that still etches single sided PCB's and runs jumpers everywhere when 99% of etching companies today offer double clad PCB's at NO additional charge. Anything to save a buck I suppose. Using that top layer for a nice juicy ground plane would work wonders for the noise floor. So would routing digital under and analogue over. I guess I just see the real side of a product, the inside, and I know my field WELL. Pioneer hasn't earned my respect on an engineering level, they're just a giant with a lot of $ to throw at things.

People should WAIT. let it get out there, let others take the risks. Let Serato DJ mature a revision or two and then see how the reviews look and go put their hands on one in a store. While they're there they should touch OTHER controllers too. it's the brand name 'blinder effect' that drives me nuts.

- Matt
DJ Xio 3:18 AM - 19 October, 2012
Allow me to explain why this will be a hit and why I don't need to touch it to know it's quality.

Simple:

It is Pioneer's flagship midi controller.

Now some of you might say the T1 is crap and the S1 is ok at best.

Well, Pioneer didn't want to cannibalize into its CDJ line so they always intentionally made their midi controllers of lower quality, without professional features and marketed towards "Home DJs"

Pioneer finally realized the controller market is the future and are now looking to lead in both realms (old and new)

This is their first real attempt at a pro controller dedicated to the controller DJs.

I know the industry, trust me on this one ;)
FabulousFrequencies 3:21 AM - 19 October, 2012
Quote:
Allow me to explain why this will be a hit and why I don't need to touch it to know it's quality.

Simple:

It is Pioneer's flagship midi controller.

Now some of you might say the T1 is crap and the S1 is ok at best.

Well, Pioneer didn't want to cannibalize into its CDJ line so they always intentionally made their midi controllers of lower quality, without professional features and marketed towards "Home DJs"

Pioneer finally realized the controller market is the future and are now looking to lead in both realms (old and new)

This is their first real attempt at a pro controller dedicated to the controller DJs.

I know the industry, trust me on this one ;)

You should be a politician. Zero facts and a great big 'trust me' at the end.

- Matt
DJ Xio 3:25 AM - 19 October, 2012
LOL.

I know the industry... research what I'm telling you and you'll find it to be true!
FabulousFrequencies 3:28 AM - 19 October, 2012
Quote:
LOL.

I know the industry... research what I'm telling you and you'll find it to be true!

More of the same... Obama? Is that you?!?
[O/][iii][O/] 3:32 AM - 19 October, 2012
DJ Xio- After reading your claims insider knowledge, I'd like to ask you a couple direct technical questions about the DDJ-SX.

#1) Does the DDJ-SX running SDJ have option for user to select FULL KILL EQs, OR does it just have -26dB attenuation as printed on the control panel?

#2) Does the DDJ-SX have option for user to select traditional looping behavior when engaging stored loops where the loop begins when the playhead naturally reaches the loop start point, OR does the looping only behave like it does on Twitch and VCI-380 where the playhead jumps ahead to the stored loop like a hot cue behaves?
weeggyy 3:49 AM - 19 October, 2012
Quote:
#1) Does the DDJ-SX running SDJ have option for user to select FULL KILL EQs, OR does it just have -26dB attenuation as printed on the control panel?

I already ask this before. One from serato team already quoted that it will behave like in itch, which is full kill. SO i guess -26dB attenuation will happen when you switch it as a mixer.
DJ Xio 3:58 AM - 19 October, 2012
I don't have insider knowledge (for the most part)
I just study the industry, the controller market and the software market in general!
[O/][iii][O/] 11:28 AM - 19 October, 2012
Quote:
I just study the industry, the controller market and the software market in general!

That's what I figured. Without knowing key stuff such as this there's no way to know if the DDJ-SX is going to be the end all be all you claim it will. It very well may be, but again, until you have all the facts it's just wishful thinking. We've all been down this path way too many times with other controllers that were deemed to be the holy grail during pre-release marketing buzz only for us to be let down when they finally hit the streets so sit tight and hope.
[O/][iii][O/] 11:35 AM - 19 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I already ask this before. One from serato team already quoted that it will behave like in itch, which is full kill. SO i guess -26dB attenuation will happen when you switch it as a mixer.

I've asked it too, but if you read the words Serato used carefully you'll see it's worded in a way that doesn't actually CONFIRM the DDJ-SX running SDJ will take advantage of the full kill option SDJ will have. All Serato has said, or at least the answer that was given to me was that SDJ will have the same full kill EQ options ITCH does, nothing about if the DDJ-SX can access that feature. For example as to why we're suspicious until official word on this: ITCH has traditional looping when used with every single ITCH controller available EXCEPT when using Twitch or VCI-380. When either of these two oddball controllers are used, traditional looping is not available. Instead, all you get is the crazy jump to loops behavior that acts like a hot cue does. Sad, but you have to think like a lawyer now when reading statements from Serato and their "partners", but this is the distrust THEY have created because we've been burned by products such as this in the past.
weeggyy 11:41 AM - 19 October, 2012
I got your point. Serato can answer this right away because pioneer made this product to work first hand in SDJ. And why they haven't release any video yet? Its middle of October already. I'm starting to feel worried about it..
dj soops 2:04 PM - 19 October, 2012
Can someone who's recently been to BPM or someone who's physically seen the DDJSX please let me know the size of these jog wheels (in relation to the CDJ800 or DDJS1) or even better still, the exact measurements. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm thinking of selling the S1 to get the SX. Also can anyone confirm if the "brake adjust" feature is on the SSX because I noticed it was missing from the unit. Can anyone help?
elsupermang 2:06 PM - 19 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Summarize everything I said and it all leads to: Stop calling it the tits because it's a Pioneer, the last ones weren't too damn great and NOBODY has touched THIS one.

So tell me where I didn't behave sensibly about it it? Tell me where I said I didn't like Pioneer in general? I said the last batch of midi's sucked and the non-midi stuff doesn't exactly tickle my fancy although the CDJ2000's are nice IMHO. I simply think the nut riding should stop. Nobody's used it yet, plain and simple. And here we have posts galore about how the whole world should run out and get it.

And FYI, I use to hold a repair contract with Pioneer electronics when I had my repair shop. I've had my hands in electronics from all of their audio divisions and nothing special goes on inside their products. I hope that bit of news doesn't break any hearts. In fact, the only thing they ever did I appreciated was the fluid dampers on their CD carriers. Something that helped them significantly in the CDJ models AND their car audio head units. It gave them superb vibration damping.

A lot of people boast their 'quality' and I use to handle that 'quality' on a semi daily basis, intimitely. Let me tell you about a company that still etches single sided PCB's and runs jumpers everywhere when 99% of etching companies today offer double clad PCB's at NO additional charge. Anything to save a buck I suppose. Using that top layer for a nice juicy ground plane would work wonders for the noise floor. So would routing digital under and analogue over. I guess I just see the real side of a product, the inside, and I know my field WELL. Pioneer hasn't earned my respect on an engineering level, they're just a giant with a lot of $ to throw at things.

People should WAIT. let it get out there, let others take the risks. Let Serato DJ mature a revision or two and then see how the reviews look and go put their hands on one in a store. While they're there they should touch OTHER controllers too. it's the brand name 'blinder effect' that drives me nuts.

- Matt

I agree 100% with your points. Anyone claiming it's gonna be awesome just cause Pioneer is betting the barnyard is just gullible. Proof is in the pudding my friends. That being said.. I preordered one already :-)

@Xio Thanks for studying the market and declaring this a winner with absolutely no hands-on time with it. Lmao
DJ dVO 2:22 PM - 19 October, 2012
Quote:

By studying do you mean you read every posts, follow every new development? In that case everyone here knows the industry.

I personally view all Pioneer products are rubbish. Except for their pro-rated mixers, all their CDJs are rubbish. Sure they all work well but in terms of aesthetics (form, fit, and factor), which everyone is going after nowadays to justify their purchase, Pioneer's products are rubbish.

I will admit from the descriptions, the DDJ-SX is a step up from their conventional way of pumping out products. But they are now following the lead by Numark, who if you still remember came out with the idea of an all-metal chassis. The NS7 and NS6 are good examples.
phatbob 2:31 PM - 19 October, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

By studying do you mean you read every posts, follow every new development? In that case everyone here knows the industry.

I personally view all Pioneer products are rubbish. Except for their pro-rated mixers, all their CDJs are rubbish. Sure they all work well but in terms of aesthetics (form, fit, and factor), which everyone is going after nowadays to justify their purchase, Pioneer's products are rubbish.

I will admit from the descriptions, the DDJ-SX is a step up from their conventional way of pumping out products. But they are now following the lead by Numark, who if you still remember came out with the idea of an all-metal chassis. The NS7 and NS6 are good examples.

Actually the form factor, usability and fit are the reasons Pioneer products ARE so popular.

They are intuitive and comfortable for huge numbers of people. They also tend not to deviate wildly from their previous designs; anyone using a DJM-500 a decade ago would be very quick to adjust to a DJM-900 today.

Where you can arguably fault Pioneer is in areas like build or sound quality, but if that was all that DJs cared about, every booth in the world would still contain a Urei 1620.
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:36 PM - 19 October, 2012
I have touched tge new pioneer played about with it (no software of corse) and i have a vci-380

The pitch slider is nice and long on pioneer on vci its sooo small.

Faders and crossfader are loads better on the vci than the pioneer.

Size wise vci fits about anywhere as its 19" the pioneer is huge.

Jogs are same sort of tech of vci and pioneer but pioneer is a nice size but the vci you can adjust stiffness on pioneer you are stuck with it being stiff.

Both have an internal mixer so you can plug cd players ect into it.

Vci is two channel pioneer is four.

The knobs on the front of pioneer push in so you dont snap them on the vci there tiny little cheap pots that stick out could brake easy.

All controlls are on top/front of pioneer on vci there on top/front/back makes using mic and booth useless on the vci with the controlls on the back.

Pads are rgb on the vci and just blue one tge pioneer or at least in demo mode they only was blue.

Both made of metal well pioneer has metal top.

Thats about all i could think of. Both great controllers.
FabulousFrequencies 1:11 AM - 20 October, 2012
The VCI's are all metal, the top is a vanity cover over the metal.
pdidy 1:18 AM - 20 October, 2012
Quote:
Where you can arguably fault Pioneer is in areas like build or sound quality, but if that was all that DJs cared about, every booth in the world would still contain a Urei 1620.

Alot of djs dont no what that is........www.ureidj.com
Dj cuervo 1:14 PM - 20 October, 2012
I was never a fan of the Cdj. I never like the Jog Wheels. I'm a battle dj so four channel mixing is not a feature I use. So I think the Vci 380 is probably my choice but I will test both system. Thanks Guys!
dj soops 11:44 AM - 21 October, 2012
I like the look of the DDJSX and will probably end up buying it, but with Pioneer releasing all these new controllers left right and center does it mean my shiny new DDJSX is going to depreciate a lot faster? Pioneer decks used to hold value quite well... slightly upsetting.
saNppa 1:36 PM - 21 October, 2012
You're gonna buy it for using or just to invest in it? These things are tools. I don't care about the future street value. If the street value goes way too down, you have nearly free backup hardware in your hands. Like my VCI-300. Either way, you win =)
Bozo 3:33 PM - 21 October, 2012
DDJ SX look great but oversized for club (wich is normal, it's not designed for club, fix CDJ and DJM are...) IMO it's the best controler for Discomo/weding dj ect...

The VCI 380 is not a toy plus it have the same size of a battle mixer so it's a long run choice.
JR/DR 4:26 PM - 22 October, 2012
Vci 380 has way too many dropouts, recording issues, and manufacturing defects. Plus the "velocity" pads on it were pretty stiff
Bozo 6:07 PM - 22 October, 2012
The only issue i have is the recording (windows), and vestax provide a licence key for "Ez Rok", a complete recording (Mp3, OGG, wav, aiff, flac, sample rate, audio device, seperate deck and mic rec...)

Quote:
manufacturing defects

wtf, have you ever seen a real VCI 380 ? :o
Bozo 6:07 PM - 22 October, 2012
Edit : a complete recording "soft"
JR/DR 6:44 PM - 22 October, 2012
yea i had one until i returned it. my input faders werent making enough contact so no sound, led weren't working obviously since there was no sound, cf wasnt smooth at all and constant clicking aka glitches plus constant limiter followed by freeze up
JR/DR 6:48 PM - 22 October, 2012
i had to wait a month for replacement i/f's so it was pretty much useless a third of the time i had it
Quote:
Edit : a complete recording "soft"
and yea my bad but either way i dont want to use external recording software its more of a hassle for me personally
Bozo 8:04 PM - 22 October, 2012
Sorry about your mishap, i guess it appen often on first series.
dj soops 12:25 PM - 26 October, 2012
Quote:
You're gonna buy it for using or just to invest in it? These things are tools. I don't care about the future street value. If the street value goes way too down, you have nearly free backup hardware in your hands. Like my VCI-300. Either way, you win =)

So I win but ive still lost more money than I would if pioneer concentrated on quality rather than quantity...
DJ Louie Atlanta 1:53 AM - 30 October, 2012
Are you guys aware of Guitar center or musicians friend's coupons? It will bring the controller down to $899 and I am sure many stores will price match...
DJ K-Ceaser 4:11 PM - 7 November, 2012
What's Good My Fellow Djs here is a good reason to invest!

Check out this video on YouTube:<br/><br/>youtu.be
saNppa 5:46 PM - 7 November, 2012
Quote:
What's Good My Fellow Djs here is a good reason to invest!
Check out this video on YouTube:youtu.be

Isn't this the same video? Nice, but lose the SYNC. Still, keep'em coming.
DJ K-Ceaser 6:19 PM - 7 November, 2012
Same vid new thread homey lol. Also beat sync didn't make a difference all songs used were same bpm reguardless.
Felonyruckus 6:52 PM - 7 November, 2012
DJ Louie Atlanta,

Guitar Center coupon is $200 off of gear of $999 so you can get it for $799 plus tax...that's what I got mine for...although Pioneer is one of the exclusions to the coupon, some of the salespeople are cool enough to overlook that and still honor the coupon.
Ragman 8:00 PM - 7 November, 2012
Quote:
DJ Louie Atlanta,

Guitar Center coupon is $200 off of gear of $999 so you can get it for $799 plus tax...that's what I got mine for...although Pioneer is one of the exclusions to the coupon, some of the salespeople are cool enough to overlook that and still honor the coupon.

Where is this coupon?
Felonyruckus 8:35 PM - 7 November, 2012
it was on the front page of their website. I see they have since taken it down. you filled out info and printed it and it was a coupon.
DJ Koeul Benny 5:33 PM - 8 November, 2012
I hate to piss on the party but one good reason 'NOT' to buy the DDJ-SX is the
A&H Xone - DX wich is Now not only not supported by similar software by the same company but it has also lost it's value to 300$ Brand new from its original 1200$ price tag 1 1/2 years ago.
DJ Koeul Benny 5:34 PM - 8 November, 2012
Im gonna wait a year and get it when it's 10$ dollars not a thousand
dj-freestyle 5:35 PM - 8 November, 2012
What the hell does buying a sx have to do with xone-dx? you lost me there
Professor.Tech 6:25 PM - 8 November, 2012
The Coupon is on the actual pg of Guitar center .. just send it to ur email address and show it to them on ur phone etc ..... i got mines for $800 and loving it ....plus voucher for serato video ...so it fell like i spent $650 on the controller
Ragman 7:54 PM - 8 November, 2012
Misery loves company.
DJ Koeul Benny 10:28 PM - 8 November, 2012
Quote:
What the hell does buying a sx have to do with xone-dx? you lost me there

Good point Freestyle here's my answer

Xone DX was the controller Launched with Serato's ITCH Software

and now Pioneer DDJ-SX is being Launched in the same manner but with
Serato's Serato DJ Software

My point being I'd wait to buy till they get all the bugs worked out and till you see
Serato DJ PRO wich no doubt will be the namesake to the fleecing you will surely recieve
on future upgrades of this new "Product"

Just a reminder the discontinued "ITCH" Software is only a little over a year old when they made the announcement that they were going to be no further updates.. so far every thing in the works for Serato DJ was promised to ITCH users and it also seems that all the same bugs plaguing ITCH users are also popping up in Serato DJ

So in summation Buy now and lose or BUY later and Win. There is nothing in the treatment of ITCH users and especially Xone DX Users that should inspire confidence in Serato DJ
and the Pioneer DDJ-SX

Except I guess it looks cool .. c'est la vie
blackavenger 12:37 AM - 9 November, 2012
Quote:
Just a reminder the discontinued "ITCH" Software is only a little over a year old when they made the announcement that they were going to be no further updates.

Sorry, homie, but this just isn't accurate. ITCH has been out since 2008. Though, you are sorta' correct (if this was the point you were trying to make) that the Xone:DX was only out for a couple years before they decided to ditch it with the switch to SeratoDJ.

I remember playing w' the Xone:DX at the 2010 Detroit "Movement" Festival.
What's funny was the rep spouting it's Traktor functionality over ITCH's, even back then.
Perhaps you should give Traktor a chance, now that it's your only option moving forward?
pdidy 12:45 AM - 9 November, 2012
Excuse me but does anybody no the Xone DX self destruction date ? Cause I don't want to be around when it stops working an Blows the fuck up......Thanks in advance !
LJ_WOOLSEY 2:08 PM - 9 November, 2012
Lol
Panotaker 2:15 PM - 9 November, 2012
It's going to self destruct on December 21, just like everything else.
DJ Koeul Benny 10:38 PM - 9 November, 2012
Quote:

Sorry, homie, but this just isn't accurate. ITCH has been out since 2008. Though, you are sorta' correct (if this was the point you were trying to make) that the Xone:DX was only out for a couple years before they decided to ditch it with the switch to SeratoDJ.

I remember playing w' the Xone:DX at the 2010 Detroit "Movement" Festival.

What's funny was the rep spouting it's Traktor functionality over ITCH's, even back then.

Perhaps you should give Traktor a chance, now that it's your only option moving forward?

serato.com <= that link is the earliest public beta of itch
thread I could find dating it to 2008

as far as Serato versus Native Instruments I hope you can agree nobody buys Serato Branded Equipment to use with a competitors Software

And Moving forward I've already made the change and my posts are just for the purpose of public awareness

serato.com <= This user bought his DX new for nearly 1500 and as you can see sold on ebay for 455 with the Case

if you don't find this disgusting well I do because I know serato is driving loyal customers away.
phatbob 10:47 PM - 9 November, 2012
The second-hand price of the DX dropped through the floor when A&H had a fire sale on their remaining stock over a year ago. At which point it could be bought brand new for a third of its original price.

That's got ZERO to do with Serato.
DJ Koeul Benny 11:30 PM - 9 November, 2012
Quote:
The second-hand price of the DX dropped through the floor when A&H had a fire sale on their remaining stock over a year ago. At which point it could be bought brand new for a third of its original price.

Yes and no If you were a company and a Software partner came to you and said We are changing our business model so we can charge our customers for our software but it's going to cost you money to rebrand and redesign firmware to fit it not only that but we are rolling with a competitors brand to Launch our new software what would you Do?

The answer is cut your losses and do essentially what A&H did part of the reason Serato branded equipment costs so much is because we pay up front in the equipment cost the development cost of the software we use.

Ofcourse you can talk about Numark ,Vestax and some of the others that will be supported by Serato DJ but it has to be factored in that these companies have various controllers that would be affected to A&H's 1 Serato exclusive product not only that but Numark and Vestax had just Launched new Products and it would've been Product suicide for them to dump them ..

Anyhow Software doesn't grow on trees and Serato would've notified their Partners well in advance of any Product launch or change.
phatbob 11:33 PM - 9 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Yes and no If you were a company and a Software partner came to you and said We are changing our business model so we can charge our customers for our software but it's going to cost you money to rebrand and redesign firmware to fit it not only that but we are rolling with a competitors brand to Launch our new software what would you Do?

The answer is cut your losses and do essentially what A&H did part of the reason Serato branded equipment costs so much is because we pay up front in the equipment cost the development cost of the software we use.

Ofcourse you can talk about Numark ,Vestax and some of the others that will be supported by Serato DJ but it has to be factored in that these companies have various controllers that would be affected to A&H's 1 Serato exclusive product not only that but Numark and Vestax had just Launched new Products and it would've been Product suicide for them to dump them ..

Anyhow Software doesn't grow on trees and Serato would've notified their Partners well in advance of any Product launch or change.

So you're blaming the entire thing on A&H not wanting to support their customers moving forward? An interesting theory.
pdidy 11:42 PM - 9 November, 2012
Quote:
serato.com <= This user bought his DX new for nearly 1500 and as you can see sold on ebay for 455 with the Case

if you don't find this disgusting well I do because I know serato is driving loyal customers away.

Anybody that sells $1500 gear + $150 case for $455 = Idiot or Money to blow.
Thats his personal choice, nothing to do with serato. Just a very bad business decision on his behalf because the gear is not broken.

Taking a $1000+ loss on new gear just cause you wont get updates ? Seriously ?
I would use that bitch till the MudaFukin knobs fell off....lol
DJ Koeul Benny 11:59 PM - 9 November, 2012
Quote:

Thats his personal choice, nothing to do with serato. Just a very bad business decision on his behalf because the gear is not broken.

Totally agree I got my DX for free and I'm still gonna rock it no matter what I have to do

The thing that got me Heated was a Serato MOD/DEV Suggesting the use of other software with that piece of gear IMO thats grounds for termination

and PhatBob Your missing the point my friend A&H has nothing to gain it would cost A&H more to continue producing that gear. A Cost that they would have had to eat because the base cost of the DDJ-SX is far below that of the DX they could'nt stay competitive without price cuts and that combined with whatever the licencing and firmware would end up costing them just wouldn't make sense..

Let me put it this way if I hired you to DJ at a 1000$ dollars a night but it would cost you 1500$ to play there would you accept that or tell me to screw myself?
phatbob 12:07 AM - 10 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Totally agree I got my DX for free and I'm still gonna rock it no matter what I have to do

The thing that got me Heated was a Serato MOD/DEV Suggesting the use of other software with that piece of gear IMO thats grounds for termination

and PhatBob Your missing the point my friend A&H has nothing to gain it would cost A&H more to continue producing that gear. A Cost that they would have had to eat because the base cost of the DDJ-SX is far below that of the DX they could'nt stay competitive without price cuts and that combined with whatever the licencing and firmware would end up costing them just wouldn't make sense..

Let me put it this way if I hired you to DJ at a 1000$ dollars a night but it would cost you 1500$ to play there would you accept that or tell me to screw myself?

You're still getting the timeline absolutely wrong. The DX was dead and buried long before the SX was even conceived of. It was dead by the time even the S1 appeared. It was sold at a clearance price because they couldn't sell them at the original price. When Itch was still very much a current product.
DJ Koeul Benny 12:25 AM - 10 November, 2012
Quote:

You're still getting the timeline absolutely wrong. The DX was dead and buried long before the SX was even conceived of. It was dead by the time even the S1 appeared. It was sold at a clearance price because they couldn't sell them at the original price. When Itch was still very much a current product.

Thats as speculative as my theory we have no Idea what was known when we just know what is happening now and me for one don't agree that any part of this was handled well although A&H in good faith has updated Firmware and drivers to work with the new versions of Microsoft and Apple software along with a good set of mappers that work with Traktor software. While Serato on the other hand has denied it's users an upgrade path to Serato DJ even though many of us are willing to pay a fee for the new software.
DJ Koeul Benny 12:27 AM - 10 November, 2012
blackavenger 10:30 AM - 10 November, 2012
Quote:
It was sold at a clearance price because they couldn't sell them at the original price. When Itch was still very much a current product.

This is true. Several of my friends bought it at the reduced price, and they bought it for it's Traktor compatibility. Again, you should probably test the waters over there. The DX, when looking at it's layout, is PERFECT for Traktor.
FabulousFrequencies 8:16 PM - 10 November, 2012
Quote:

That's his personal choice, nothing to do with serato. Just a very bad business decision on his behalf because the gear is not broken.l

Actually, to assume someone is an idiot or makes bad business decisions without checking the current sale price isn't very intelligent. The DX is still on store shelves for $399 NEW now. And yes, I have proof, the link is posted on another thread. It was on the shelf NIB next to the new SX (ironic?) at my local GC last week. GC's still have plenty of stock on this item actually, so the seller got what he felt he could in a market where the controller is now $399 new in a box. So that would be $399 + $150 flight case new for $549 and this seller got $455 for used gear. I would actually say they did quite well on the sale given the market now.

- Matt
pdidy 1:22 AM - 12 November, 2012
My views have nothing to do with the current sales price. Why would you assume i dont no the current price? Would it surprise you i have google too?...... lol
FabulousFrequencies 3:19 AM - 12 November, 2012
Quote:
My views have nothing to do with the current sales price. Why would you assume i dont no the current price? Would it surprise you i have google too?...... lol

You called it $1500 gear. Your words, not mine. It *was* $1500 gear, it is now $399 gear and that was the point. Not to mention the current argument on these forums is that it's out of stock everywhere online, Whereas I actually walked into a store that had one for sale Mr. 'Google too'.

But since your views regarding his sale price have nothing to do with the actual sale price, why not just say he sold a $6,000,000 controller and make a real impact ;)

- Matt
Ragman 4:02 AM - 12 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
That's his personal choice, nothing to do with serato. Just a very bad business decision on his behalf because the gear is not broken.l

Actually, to assume someone is an idiot or makes bad business decisions without checking the current sale price isn't very intelligent. The DX is still on store shelves for $399 NEW now. And yes, I have proof, the link is posted on another thread. It was on the shelf NIB next to the new SX (ironic?) at my local GC last week. GC's still have plenty of stock on this item actually, so the seller got what he felt he could in a market where the controller is now $399 new in a box. So that would be $399 + $150 flight case new for $549 and this seller got $455 for used gear. I would actually say they did quite well on the sale given the market now.

- Matt

Matt can you post the link to that thread. I've done a Google search on the DX and can not find a price of $399 NIB. Not even on eBay either. I called 3 of my local GCs in the Atlanta area and they didn't have them in stock. I would love to get my hands on a new DX for that price.
FabulousFrequencies 4:06 AM - 12 November, 2012
Here, Date and GC location is on the picture tag. Have your local GC call them and do a store transfer. They can also check cross stock at all stores.

i47.tinypic.com

- Matt
Manny C dot com 4:26 AM - 12 November, 2012
Just a "personal preference" thing for me, but no split-cue means "no sale" as far as I'm concerned.

Once you train your ears and get used to mixing in your headphones, you'll never want to go back to doing it the other way again.
Ragman 4:59 AM - 12 November, 2012
Quote:
Here, Date and GC location is on the picture tag. Have your local GC call them and do a store transfer. They can also check cross stock at all stores.

i47.tinypic.com

- Matt

Sweet. Thanks man. Hopefully I can pull this off tomorrow. This will make an excellent backup unit.
pdidy 7:20 AM - 12 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

You called it $1500 gear. Your words, not mine. It *was* $1500 gear, it is now $399 gear and that was the point. Not to mention the current argument on these forums is that it's out of stock everywhere online, Whereas I actually walked into a store that had one for sale Mr. 'Google too'.

But since your views regarding his sale price have nothing to do with the actual sale price, why not just say he sold a $6,000,000 controller and make a real impact ;)

- Matt

smh, not worth a comment.....lol
weeggyy 7:55 AM - 12 November, 2012
Updating the firmware doesn't mean that A&H are doing their part to have their unit to be included to SDJ. Again, the idea of A&H not to be included to SDJ is a decison of BOTH parties and NOT serato alone.
d:raf 4:16 AM - 13 November, 2012
Lol @ Xone DX conspiracy theories.
blackavenger 5:35 PM - 13 November, 2012
Quote:
Lol @ Xone DX conspiracy theories.

same.
FabulousFrequencies 5:48 PM - 13 November, 2012
If you take a look at the 2D & 4D offerings from A&H, the DX didn't get assassinated; it evolved. If I didn't need CD sized jogs to mix comfortably, I would be all over one. Those units are true tools, not toys. I wouldn't cry conspiracy, albeit business can get dirty.

Let's get back to 'how wise' it was to invest in the DDJ-SX :)

Anyone's mixing improve using it? How ya like that new MIC amplifier? Has anyone found a use for the pads that increased their paycheck or didn't make their mix sound like a bunch of butchered tracks? Did the SX save the worllllllllld toniiiiiiiiii-Iiiiight?? *rocks*

- Matt
DJ Koeul Benny 9:09 PM - 13 November, 2012
Quote:

Anyone's mixing improve using it? How ya like that new MIC amplifier? Has anyone found a use for the pads that increased their paycheck or didn't make their mix sound like a bunch of butchered tracks? Did the SX save the worllllllllld toniiiiiiiiii-Iiiiight?? *rocks*

- Matt

Another great reason on Why it is Not Wise to rush in and buy the DDJ-SX.
DJ Koeul Benny 9:21 PM - 13 November, 2012
GWT B4 DDJ-SX
Watchwww.youtube.com

And after
Watchwww.youtube.com

You be the judge
DJ Koeul Benny 9:21 PM - 13 November, 2012
GWT B4 DDJ-SX
Watchwww.youtube.com

And after
Watchwww.youtube.com

You be the judge
DJ Koeul Benny 9:29 PM - 13 November, 2012
^Not deliberate Spam Sorry forum
Ragman 11:24 PM - 13 November, 2012
I don't get your point. That just proves that he's better juggling on active platter then static platter (which makes sense given who he is). Has nothing to do with the SX and all it's functions in general since he admits he's very new to it.
pdidy 11:48 PM - 13 November, 2012
I could be wrong but is someone severely butthurted about something Serato related ? I dont want to make any assumptions........
FabulousFrequencies 11:56 PM - 13 November, 2012
Quote:
I could be wrong but is someone severely butthurted about something Serato related ? I dont want to make an assumptions........

LOL! Which one of us? We don't wanna make any assumptions either. I have opinions solicited, and un-solicited. Solicited ones are PC, un-solicited ones could go anywhere.
pdidy 12:09 AM - 14 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

- Matt

Another great reason on Why it is Not Wise to rush in and buy the DDJ-SX.

Apparently DJ Koeul Benny didnt pickup on your obvious sarcasm......I wonder why ?.....lol
FabulousFrequencies 12:29 AM - 14 November, 2012
Quote:
Apparently DJ Koeul Benny didnt pickup on your obvious sarcasm......I wonder why ?.....lol

To be fair, maybe he did. I think it could be interpreted both ways. I honestly don't think it's a bad controller given the price point. I just get tired of all the 'let's hype this up into a must have toy' nonsense. Yeah, I have my opinions about Serato, Pioneer, and pretty much *every* company. But those opinions would be biased if I only mentioned the good OR the bad. I try and keep it in the middle if I can.

When people blame Pioneer for their mistakes, I point out it's their own mistake.
When Pioneer or Serato makes the mistake I don't let them off the hook.
When people can't figure out who's mistake it is, I help them differentiate.

I kinda seen this coming and already made up my mind based on the business end of ethics going on with this controller launch. But I *did* keep an open enough mind to put my hands on it at my local GC when I stopped to buy new stands for my new monitors. I gave it a fair and honest once over despite my feelings and honestly couldn't find anything about it that validates all the hype that got generated over this thing. People talked like this was going to be 'the Jesus controller' and that somehow Christs return would come with a Pioneer headset on. For visual refrence, just swap out these tables for the SX: i.chzbgr.com

So I troll through the new forum section here for a few reasons.

1) To see if my concerns when I handled it are becoming validated via user feedback.
2) To gain feedback on the new software, I a non-SX owner, cannot use just yet.
3) To offer my help in technical areas that are not controller specific, an offer open to anyone with any equipment. I won't refuse help when I can offer it, but even in my RL my help usually comes with a few smart remarks attached. It's in my nature, people shouldn't take it personally. They are after all still receiving free help :)

And that's pretty much it. In all the SX falls in line with other controllers in this price point. It has useful bits, a handful of toys, a few quarks, the same software company behind it that get's one thing right while it screws up another. Oh! and this lovely user base on the forum :)

(that clearly LOVES me =D)

- Matt
DJ Koeul Benny 3:39 AM - 14 November, 2012
Quote:
I could be wrong but is someone severely butthurted about something Serato related ? I dont want to make any assumptions........

Quote:

Butthurted? That's pretty Harsh Pdidy especially since I'm not here to insult anyone
but if something got lost in translation or Ive offended you I'd like to apologize.

Anyhow Matt makes great points sarcastic smart or otherwise.
pdidy 4:52 AM - 14 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Butthurted? That's pretty Harsh Pdidy especially since I'm not here to insult anyone
but if something got lost in translation or Ive offended you I'd like to apologize.

Dont take me too seriously as I am definitely just teasing because you appear to be pissed at serato over the Xone DX but taking you anger out on the DDJ-SX.
pdidy 5:26 AM - 14 November, 2012
Quote:
GWT B4 DDJ-SX
Watchwww.youtube.com

And after
Watchwww.youtube.com

You be the judge

BTW, you should be ashamed of yourself for trying to USE a 30+yr dj legend in such a way. I think it is blatantly disrespectful and cheapens your argument.
nik39 6:07 AM - 14 November, 2012
Quote:

+1

Matt don't let you discourage from posting. IMHO you're making good points (esp in that 'help, my mic sounds too bad on the sx, because I don't know any fundamentals about signals and clipping' - thread).
DJ Koeul Benny 6:38 AM - 14 November, 2012
Quote:

BTW, you should be ashamed of yourself for trying to USE a 30+yr dj legend in such a way. I think it is blatantly disrespectful and cheapens your argument.

Actually that Vet is still relevant because he currently teaches Djing here
www.scratch.com

Not cheap at all Since I greatly Respect GWT and If there is any gauge for a DJ and how your equipment should respond when mixing he would be the one who could best exemplify that. The Vids clearly point out some serious issues with the controller #1 Cross fader is slow on the DDJ-SX cuts show a bit of a latency issue it looks like to me that there are latency issues while setting cue points on the fly as well.

Here is a seperate Vid with a dude using his DDJ-SX
Watchwww.youtube.com

As you can hear he is really having to lean on the effects to cover up his mix.

Just to be clear me being angry or not has nothing to do with my arguments I'm just saying to be careful not to make an impulse buy here.
As we learned from the ITCH fiasco where ALOT of people got burned... especially DX users who jumped on their controllers early and now they're sitting there feelin real stupid. Having to pay for another Software product just to stay competetive with what most other itch users will get for free.
DJ Cs 10:00 AM - 14 November, 2012
Just my opinion,

Those that purchased the Xone DX have valid reasons to be concerned and it should be a tentative warning to others with Itch/Serato DJ controllers.

I state again, that life cycle used to be determined by the actual functioning of the hardware, but now it is determined by the manufacturer/Software contract. Planned Obsolescence, see good explanation here: www.economist.com.

It's almost unheard of to buy 2-3 year old Dj equipment and it's value or actual usefulness declines so fast. Granted, it can still be used with ITCH for years if you keep the same setup and don't want to use your $1500 hardware with the latest OS/software features.

One advantage of being a software based controller was that it can be future proofed for many years if the manufacturer/Software license allowed this to happen. However, we are actually seeing the opposite happen and many are "speculating" that it is because newer features and upgrades "CAN'T" be implemented on what we are now calling older hardware, take for example the 2 sound card vs 4 sound card logic. Of course it can be done, but it will completely go against the planned obsolescence in the marketing plan.

This is NOT to say these companies are bad or doing anything particularly wrong, the consumer must understand the real reason and factor this in when purchasing in this new model of DJ equipment. Some very smart people saw the opportunity in this model and now you have to be more selective about which companies will be loyal long term to it's consumers.

However, all that said, this was supposed to be a thread about why it would be wise to invest in the DDJ-SX and not about what happened with the Xone DX.
DJ Cs 10:00 AM - 14 November, 2012
Just my opinion,

Those that purchased the Xone DX have valid reasons to be concerned and it should be a tentative warning to others with Itch/Serato DJ controllers.

I state again, that life cycle used to be determined by the actual functioning of the hardware, but now it is determined by the manufacturer/Software contract. Planned Obsolescence, see good explanation here: www.economist.com.

It's almost unheard of to buy 2-3 year old Dj equipment and it's value or actual usefulness declines so fast. Granted, it can still be used with ITCH for years if you keep the same setup and don't want to use your $1500 hardware with the latest OS/software features.

One advantage of being a software based controller was that it can be future proofed for many years if the manufacturer/Software license allowed this to happen. However, we are actually seeing the opposite happen and many are "speculating" that it is because newer features and upgrades "CAN'T" be implemented on what we are now calling older hardware, take for example the 2 sound card vs 4 sound card logic. Of course it can be done, but it will completely go against the planned obsolescence in the marketing plan.

This is NOT to say these companies are bad or doing anything particularly wrong, the consumer must understand the real reason and factor this in when purchasing in this new model of DJ equipment. Some very smart people saw the opportunity in this model and now you have to be more selective about which companies will be loyal long term to it's consumers.

However, all that said, this was supposed to be a thread about why it would be wise to invest in the DDJ-SX and not about what happened with the Xone DX.
DJ Cs 10:01 AM - 14 November, 2012
Just my opinion,

DJ Cs 10:13 AM - 14 November, 2012
Wow, don't know what happened to have it posted so may times. I apologize to the community!!
Cortez 2:23 PM - 14 November, 2012
Im planning on upgrading from my vci-300. What would you guys recommend. the VCI-380 or the Pioneer DDJ SX? What are the pros and cons for both.
phatbob 3:24 PM - 14 November, 2012
You need to be specific about your usage before anyone can remotely make a recommendation to you.
Cortez 4:39 PM - 14 November, 2012
Radio DJin, Club Video Mixing is my main usage....
Ragman 7:08 PM - 14 November, 2012
Quote:
Just my opinion,

Thanks DJ Cs. This is very insightful.
DJ Koeul Benny 9:37 PM - 14 November, 2012
Quote:

Thank you this is all I'm saying.

Quote:

Again Thank you I hope this closes the issue of the DX except to note of course the point you made above about the tentative warning.
DJ K-Ceaser 1:20 AM - 15 November, 2012
Watchwww.youtube.com
Whats up my DJ's Check out Ya BOY DJ K-Ceaser. Holla!
DJ Cs 8:35 PM - 15 November, 2012
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com
Whats up my DJ's Check out Ya BOY DJ K-Ceaser. Holla!

Ok, three things here:
1. Why are you all over the forum showing us your awesomeness when many have been waiting for ours to arrive....kinda rubbing salt in the wounds on all fronts.

2. Though I NEVER use backspin, many have commented that the platter was too stiff for this, did you adjust it to achieve the backspin ?

3. Can you compare the latency on the jogs that is mentioned to other Serato controllers you have used.

By the way...joking about # 1, looking forward to trying it when it arrives.
pdidy 8:53 PM - 15 November, 2012
Quote:

Here is a seperate Vid with a dude using his DDJ-SX
Watchwww.youtube.com

As you can hear he is really having to lean on the effects to cover up his mix

DJ K-Ceaser would you mind responding to this comment made in this thread.
DJ K-Ceaser 9:19 PM - 15 November, 2012
Pdidy what's good! In my vids I'm trying to display the system and all it's features. What dumb-ass would try to justify my skill level from an overview session, I just urge this individual to put out their own boring video with no FX! Peaceeee.
DJ K-Ceaser 9:23 PM - 15 November, 2012
DJ Cs! What's up, the platter is kind of stiff on the back spin so I add an echo to it to give it a more full sound, but I really like the platters feel. Best jog-wheel that I have felt on a controller so far.
pdidy 12:12 AM - 16 November, 2012
Quote:
Pdidy what's good! In my vids I'm trying to display the system and all it's features. What dumb-ass would try to justify my skill level from an overview session, I just urge this individual to put out their own boring video with no FX! Peaceeee.

+1
dj-freestyle 8:57 PM - 16 November, 2012
@k-ceaser have you used platters on ns6?
DJ K-Ceaser 11:36 PM - 16 November, 2012
Freestyle what's good, I had a ns6. It was a great system however the jog wheels actually stopped working on them at times. I traded for a new one and experienced the same problem but so far feel for feel i like the Ddjsx jogs better, just my opinion homey.
Funkeybro 4:26 AM - 17 November, 2012
Quote:
Freestyle what's good, I had a ns6. It was a great system however the jog wheels actually stopped working on them at times. I traded for a new one and experienced the same problem but so far feel for feel i like the Ddjsx jogs better, just my opinion homey.

Yep, had similar issues with my NS6 jogs. When I moved the unit sometimes the calibration just didn't work. I had no scratch mode and sluggish performance with pitch bend/scrubbing. Hoping the SX won't be like that given the similar tech they share. Need it to be reliable as most of my gigs are one-off parties and events where I need to set up in a fresh environment each time.
dj soops 12:13 PM - 18 November, 2012
Sorry guys, thought I had to post this for anyone still thinking about investing

youtu.be
phatbob 12:17 PM - 18 November, 2012
Quote:
Sorry guys, thought I had to post this for anyone still thinking about investing

youtu.be

Oh my god! One unit is faulty! Nobody buy one!

SMH.

It happens. Get a replacement.
dj soops 12:20 PM - 18 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

youtu.be

Oh my god! One unit is faulty! Nobody buy one!

SMH.

It happens. Get a replacement.

lol calm down..no one said nobody buy one
phatbob 12:32 PM - 18 November, 2012
Do you not think your video was a bit hyperbolic though? If that was a replacement unit, and it did the same thing, call out Pioneer for sure. But for the first one? Come on, faults happen.

I just bought a second iPad for DJ use, it turned out to be faulty, started operating itself... I took it in, they replaced it. All good. I didn't make a video saying 'Apple this isn't good enough!!!'.
dj soops 12:59 PM - 18 November, 2012
Quote:
Do you not think your video was a bit hyperbolic though? If that was a replacement unit, and it did the same thing, call out Pioneer for sure. But for the first one? Come on, faults happen.

I just bought a second iPad for DJ use, it turned out to be faulty, started operating itself... I took it in, they replaced it. All good. I didn't make a video saying 'Apple this isn't good enough!!!'.

Yeah I agree, faults can happen, but if I could just return it to the dealer and get a replacement same day then it would'nt bother me so much. But taking into account; Pioneers supply chain cock up in the UK, with the pad faults (experienced by others on this forum also) and then theres the matter of the small amount of electrical current felt on the metal faceplate (eliminated by grounding the deck to a radiator). You can understand why anyone would be pissed phatbob.
phatbob 4:08 PM - 18 November, 2012
Your unit is clearly faulty in general, because my hardware doesn't exhibit either of those faults. If the replacement has the same issues, sure, make another little video.
dj soops 5:03 PM - 18 November, 2012
Quote:
Your unit is clearly faulty in general, because my hardware doesn't exhibit either of those faults. If the replacement has the same issues, sure, make another little video.

Cheers, hopefully the next unit will be better and good luck with your ddjsx
Professor.Tech 5:06 PM - 18 November, 2012
im thinking bout returning my unit to exchange but i dont want one thats worse than the one i sent back !
Felonyruckus 5:22 PM - 18 November, 2012
Quote:

I just bought a second iPad for DJ use, it turned out to be faulty, started operating itself...

Phatbob, maybe is was possessed!!!! hahahhaa operating itself???
phatbob 5:25 PM - 18 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers, hopefully the next unit will be better and good luck with your ddjsx

I'm sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, it DOES suck when you spend big money on a product and it's faulty.

But faults do happen, and in particular when you jump on first-run products.

I hope your replacement works as it should.
Professor.Tech 5:25 PM - 18 November, 2012
i ghost
nik39 5:28 PM - 18 November, 2012
Quote:

youtu.be

Is that a Dwele song you're playing?
phatbob 5:34 PM - 18 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
I just bought a second iPad for DJ use, it turned out to be faulty, started operating itself...

Phatbob, maybe is was possessed!!!! hahahhaa operating itself???

That is actually what it looked like... The digitiser was registering phantom touches, so apps were launching, it was doing google searches... Properly weird shit!
Professor.Tech 5:38 PM - 18 November, 2012
yeah i would have been spooked ....
Professor.Tech 5:39 PM - 18 November, 2012
Why has no Pioneer tech got into our conversation ... shit even VDJ has a rep for pioneer in their forum posting ....
panteleimonas 7:02 AM - 25 May, 2013
Bought it less than 24hrs ago and I wanna have it with me all the time! Amazing product. Used to be proud owner of cdj-2000... Now I am just owner, since they are going in the closed hard!
panteleimonas 7:02 AM - 25 May, 2013
Bought it less than 24hrs ago and I wanna have it with me all the time! Amazing product. Used to be proud owner of cdj-2000... Now I am just owner, since they are going in the closed hard!