DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

do you download clean or dirty songs?

HumpATree123 8:12 PM - 15 April, 2008
In general, do you download the clean version or dirty version of a song? Is downloading both a waste of space?
Certified Quality Entertainment 8:18 PM - 15 April, 2008
Clean for me since I do mobile work.
dj_elite 8:26 PM - 15 April, 2008
dirty for me since i do bars/clubs/college stuff and generally will not take an event where people will be offended by most music, although if a song is especially explicit (like Wait, Play, etc.) i'll get the clean version and play it by ear.
Bigfourty4 8:36 PM - 15 April, 2008
i get all the versions that are available.

Cleans are a must for young crowds---like the mall, birthday party, outdoor evernt

Dirtys are a must for the bar/club---people actually sing along to the dirty track
deejay barber 9:08 PM - 15 April, 2008
I get every version available, clean, dirty, extra clean, main. Whatever, just like a 12"
DJ Wildewood 11:03 PM - 15 April, 2008
i try to get every version, clean, dirty, instrumental, acapella, whatever i can, because i do the club, picnics, family reunions, pageants and stuff like that so you have to get all versions
DJ Prinvale` 12:17 AM - 16 April, 2008
both clean and dirty. I work in a club where the GM doesn't want the N-word or fuck.

I'm kinda glad because it forces me to get both versions which have come in handy (ie: private parties for 16 year olds n'shit)
HumpATree123 12:23 AM - 16 April, 2008
yeah I was thinking that too since I usually spin for high schools/parties for 16 year olds lol
HumpATree123 12:38 AM - 16 April, 2008
so when you download a song from a record pool, do you download the regular version of the track as well as the one with an intro?
Chulindo 2:58 AM - 16 April, 2008
Quote:
i get all the versions that are available.

Cleans are a must for young crowds---like the mall, birthday party, outdoor evernt

Dirtys are a must for the bar/club---people actually sing along to the dirty track

me 2 100%
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:10 AM - 16 April, 2008
Was doing just Dirty (and Instrumental) but just recently got a bigger External drive (80Gb to 250GB) so I am going back and getting Cleans (and accapellas) of some of the "Hits" from the pool.

Wanna start doing some more mobiles so I guess I will need the Clean/radio mix.
a DJ 4:23 AM - 19 April, 2008
I always get clean versions because I do a lot of gigs where they want clean versions.

Quote:
so when you download a song from a record pool, do you download the regular version of the track as well as the one with an intro?

I usually only get the intro one, unless the intro has something memorable or recognizeable (usually not).
a DJ 4:25 AM - 19 April, 2008
^ I know that's confusing. I meant, if the track has an intro with talking or something, I'll usually try to only get the DJ intro one, unless there's something memorable. If the song doesn't normally have an intro, and they added one, I always get only the intro one. If you're listening on an iPod you can just fast forward.

(we need an edit button)
Discobee 5:08 PM - 19 April, 2008
Clean all the way, 99% of my collection is clean (and I don't even do school dances). I just prefer clean...not into the m'fing.
a DJ 6:10 PM - 19 April, 2008
^ but the same goes the other way. If you do a club gig, they're gonna wanna hear dirty versions. If every song is clean, it'll probably get annoying, especially with songs where the dirty words are obvious.
sixxx 7:10 PM - 19 April, 2008
I download both dirty and clean... you never know when you're gonna need them.
MC Human 11:35 PM - 19 April, 2008
I get all the music I can, and 99% of my library isn't labled clean or dirty. I hope that doesn't become a problem down the road, but I figure I can read a crowd and know my music. If a clean version is available, I'd like to have it too. But right now I'm playing for myself and so I'd rather hear the goods.
dj buterd hams 11:58 PM - 23 April, 2008
i get both versions . for different crowds. it might be a waste of space on your lap if your always do clubs or vice vrsa. so just dop them on your external and grab what you need for the crowd you need
dj buterd hams 12:02 AM - 24 April, 2008
a edit button!! good idea a dj . maybe a button you press that edits the song as you play it . instead of us using the edit button we manully press on serato. feel me people? the comp or program will pre read the track before it plays out load and edits/coverup the curse word we programm or already programmed by searto makers . like anything fcc worries about . damm good idea man
a DJ 4:08 AM - 24 April, 2008
^ I meant on the forums lol, but yeah it would be cool to be able to program when the song should be reversed. Like you could hilite the sections of it. That way you wouldn't lose quality or waste space.
DJ FLATLINE 10:05 AM - 24 April, 2008
I do my best to only play Clean tracks. I also prefer it so thats what my crowd is getting. I'm prepared for any gig that may come my way (radio, birthday, school dance, wedding, club). For the most part, I don't think people care if the record is clean or not.
Gor 11:56 AM - 24 April, 2008
I have been downloading only dirty songs, and then i had an all ages gig hosted by some church group that wanted only clean songs, but i played all dirty songs anyway. Made me think twice about what i download :P
cookieJar 12:49 AM - 25 April, 2008
RE: edit buttons.. if your mixer has kills you can cut the mids (and high too if you want to be really safe) to censor offensive lyrics
djchope 1:08 PM - 25 April, 2008
i download clean songs, people complain about the bad words and want me to edit them. No one complains about how the word F*** is not in there song.
a DJ 5:26 AM - 26 April, 2008
If a popular line of a song involves swearing, and it's somewhere where there's no reason not to play dirty songs, then people might get annoyed. Even when drunk.
djpuma_gemini 9:32 AM - 26 April, 2008
I get em both and the intros too.

You never know when you will need a clean version and I prefer dirty for the clubs, but any mobiles or younger stuff I would recommend clean versions.
DJ LTIZZZLE 9:55 AM - 26 April, 2008
I grab both. I do alot of MWR stuff for the Post here in Iraq. And it's always good to have the clean song. you know never know who is in the crowd. Besides i don't want to hear the N bomb blairing over the speakers myself.
ND.M 9:45 AM - 29 April, 2008
I only download dirty versions because ppl in Germany mostly don't give a damn about swearing as long as it's not in German.
Sometimes people get irritated if you don't play the original dirty version here (for example Ludacris - Move B****)...

I don't like clean versions because leaving out/cutting/beeping out words often disrupts the flow.
It's okay if the lyrics are intentionally altered for radio play and still make sense ("I wanna love you"...no homo lol)

So as long as nobody is offended by the dirty versions, I don't see a point in wasting HD space and getting the clean versions, too. But I do understand u guys from the US - I wouldn't want to play dirty German lyrics at a high school dance, either.
DJ FLATLINE 4:46 AM - 30 April, 2008
Quote:
So as long as nobody is offended by the dirty versions, I don't see a point in wasting HD space and getting the clean versions, too.

Works both ways!!!
jmlbrns45 10:43 PM - 19 February, 2012
i download all the versions i can find for each track, since I spin for teens and college students
anthracite98 7:18 AM - 20 February, 2012
I tend to always get the clean for anything new and pop (kanye, rihanna, jay-z, lil jon, etc) and depending on the chorus the dirty too. In the above mentioned Ludacris Move B***, or Cee-Lo F*** You; both are a must as given the setting, everyone wants to hear the dirty. For more underground/independent stuff I just get the album version as I'd likely not play that stuff often at age-restricted or corporate events.

After a song dies out a bit, I tend to delete the dirty versions and just keep the clean as an archive (think Justin Timberlake -Signs will i play that often? No. Is it killing me to keep one copy of it? Nah, so keep the clean just in case).

Truth be told, as laptop HD's are getting bigger and cheaper, its not that big of a deal to have both versions. Now I imagine trying to have both of video would be unmanageable.

Now if only every Acapella came in both clean and dirty...
Papa Midnight 7:56 AM - 20 February, 2012
Quote:
i download all the versions i can find for each track, since I spin for teens and college students

Same here. When you spin for multiple age groups, you find it necessary to have all versions possible.

Quote:
Now if only every Acapella came in both clean and dirty...

Ain't this the damn truth...
DJ Remy USA 12:03 AM - 22 February, 2012
I just get clean people listen to clean on the radio they will be fine with clean at the club. Ive gotten a few complaints about not playing the dirty version but I just tell them Im a christian and peeps normally respect it
djvtyme85 1:05 AM - 22 February, 2012
i do all avaliable. i have identical clean and dirty creates for the most part. i try not to keep more than 320gb on my hd. so i filter out as time goes on to my archieve.
Papa Midnight 2:16 AM - 22 February, 2012
Quote:
I just tell them Im a christian and peeps normally respect it

Then he goes and plays "Stupid Hoe", follows it with "Donk", tops it off with "Itty Bitty Piggy", encores with "Drop it Low", and then puts the icing on the cake with "Back That Thang Up"
:P
selectajay 8:57 AM - 16 May, 2012
Overall i prefer Clean versions for most songs..As a DJ u can play most gigs without offending anyone. Also..

i wish the standard for ALL promo releases was like thisss:

DIRTY
CLEAN
ACAPELLA
INSTRUMENTAL versions!...now thats what i call a FULL promo release:) reminds me when i use to buy 12" vinyl!
Dj Ready Red 1:14 PM - 16 May, 2012
Both to have them on the ready!
Dj K.Smith 3:33 PM - 16 May, 2012
Clean... I can play them anywhere and don't have to worry (as much) about lyrical content...
Dj.Mojo 3:36 PM - 16 May, 2012
Quote:
I just get clean people listen to clean on the radio they will be fine with clean at the club. Ive gotten a few complaints about not playing the dirty version but I just tell them Im a christian and peeps normally respect it

What does being christian have to do with playing clean versions?

People still get the message of the tracks, everybody knows what the bleeps and beeps are covering up. Maybe it´s just a cultural difference between Europe and USA.

Best clean version so far was: "I love my chick" instead of "I love my bitch"
Chrisjin 3:58 PM - 16 May, 2012
We are all adults, this isnt a Saturday morning special, clubs and bars get the dirty version...anything mobile it will be clean for for the clients.
DJ'Que 4:06 PM - 16 May, 2012
Quote:
We are all adults, this isnt a Saturday morning special, clubs and bars get the dirty version...anything mobile it will be clean for for the clients.
This part'

I hate being at a club hearing I love my chick and not my bitch or

snitches ain't nothing and not bitches ain't shit.

clean version don't belong in a club or bar unless its R&B

I look at the DJ as a rookie doing that shit
ced_so_thoed 5:04 PM - 16 May, 2012
ay
clean and dirty. I do radio and parties, clubs, and mix tapes
yep
Papa Midnight 5:22 PM - 16 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
This part'

That's... rather limited. Some clubs, especially the more upscale ones, look for DJs to play clean music.
DJ GaFFle 5:26 PM - 16 May, 2012
Clean when I play at respectable venues.
DJ Remy USA 6:02 PM - 16 May, 2012
Quote:

there is nothing adult about hearing cursing in your music. Just say that you prefer to hear the vulgarity over a non vulgar version. Our adult hood does not boil down to listening to music that has vulgar language and or content. Weak argument
djgrits7 6:06 PM - 16 May, 2012
Quote:

for real man, me too! awesome!
DJ Remy USA 6:06 PM - 16 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
This part'

Guess Ima rookie and always will be because I dont like to play at venues where the audience has to hear cursing. I really dont think the audience cares if they did everyone would listen to XM radio to hear all the cursing they want. Im not knocking DJs who play dirty version I just dont see how cursing adds any artistical value to your typical radio commerical song. You are playing in commercial spots right DJ Que? Unless your playing strictly underground spots I dont see why playing a clean radio version makes you a rookie
Chrisjin 7:21 PM - 16 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

there is nothing adult about hearing cursing in your music. Just say that you prefer to hear the vulgarity over a non vulgar version. Our adult hood does not boil down to listening to music that has vulgar language and or content. Weak argument

I think you misunderstood. Its not like clubs are packing people that are PG rated audiences. If there is cussing, so what. I highly doubt clubbers and patrons are going to be offended to hear cussing in songs. More than likely these people are saying cuss words to eachother while at said venue. From the clubs in Milwaukee to Chi to Orlando to Vegas, Ive heard cussing and even the DJs cuss on the mic. Its not a big deal
Chrisjin 7:24 PM - 16 May, 2012
Tim Tebow is a devout Christian and cusses like a sailor..just saying
DJ Remy USA 7:42 PM - 16 May, 2012
Quote:
Tim Tebow is a devout Christian and cusses like a sailor..just saying

has nothing to do with religious views either....playing songs wit vulgar language is just that. It has not rhyme reason or justification.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think you misunderstood. Its not like clubs are packing people that are PG rated audiences. If there is cussing, so what. I highly doubt clubbers and patrons are going to be offended to hear cussing in songs. More than likely these people are saying cuss words to eachother while at said venue. From the clubs in Milwaukee to Chi to Orlando to Vegas, Ive heard cussing and even the DJs cuss on the mic. Its not a big deal

if cussing is not a big deal then why choose to have it in your song selection? By all means if that what you feel gets your crowd hype go for it. Cursing hasnt added to any set of music Ive DJ'd in the past 5 years. Let me say I have no problem with cursing in music I just dont it is a "must have"
DJ Remy USA 7:44 PM - 16 May, 2012
if cussing is not a big deal then why choose to have it in your song selection? By all means if it gets your crowd hype go for it. Cursing hasnt added to any set of music Ive DJ'd in the past 5 years. Let me say that I have no problem with cursing in music I just dont feel it is a "must have" inside of a club.
Chrisjin 7:47 PM - 16 May, 2012
I dont go out my to choose to play it, I just do without having remorse. If a promoter or the owner/manager asks me to keep it clean, its no problem
Chrisjin 7:47 PM - 16 May, 2012
*go out my way
DJ Remy USA 7:53 PM - 16 May, 2012
i got you I just wanted you to be clear.... as DJ Que believes that if you play clean music at a club you are rookie didnt make any sense to me but he has yet to chimed in. Ive found over the years having clean version will get you by on all events were as having dirty versions will only work in certain environments. lets be clear people have complained asking "how come you dont play the cursing version" I simply tell them I choose not because I cant play it everywhere. Playing clean music has never killed a dance floor, never emptied a club, never stopped the ladies from dancing like strippers in the mirror
Chrisjin 8:01 PM - 16 May, 2012
I agree radio versions wont kill any kind of vibe, its just I drop more explicit versions than I do radio simply because my library lacks many clean versions of songs unless its that Top 40 junk that is expected at weddings and private parties.
Papa Midnight 11:10 PM - 16 May, 2012
In my opinion, sometimes, the radio version of a song is better than the dirty version anyway, regardless of profanity.

In example: the song "Tipsy" (Watchwww.youtube.com). Most people don't even know it by the dirty version. Sometimes it's better to play the clean version over the dirty.
ced_so_thoed 11:52 PM - 16 May, 2012
ay
I see your point because I perfer the clean version of Teach me how to dougie over the dirty
yep
Laz219 12:14 AM - 17 May, 2012
Depends on the track, any radio stuff I'll have both. (dirty for club, clean for private events)
If it's a particularly dirty track, I won't bother with a clean version because it never sounds right to me.
I figure there's no point starting with something full of swearing and then cutting the track down to nothing, only really if it's just minimising a couple here and there.
Dj Nyce 1:34 AM - 17 May, 2012
i do both. i play dirty versions by default. clean for the radio, mixshows, corp events,in-stores, etc.
sixxx 2:29 AM - 17 May, 2012
Censored lyrics usually change the meaning of a song.
At clubs I will play dirty versions, everywhere else clean
unless the client wants dirty versions.

I prefer dirty because the artist meant it that way,
otherwise he wouldn't have released a dirty version at all.
DJ GaFFle 1:00 PM - 17 May, 2012
I find the dirty versions of hood songs gets the crowd more agressive and there is more likelihood for scuffles.
DJ Remy USA 1:37 PM - 17 May, 2012
Quote:
I find the dirty versions of hood songs gets the crowd more agressive and there is more likelihood for scuffles.

I agree lyrical content can sometimes ramp up a already hype crowd. I think Ive lost a couple of spots because fights and scuffles seem to break out when I start playing hood joints with aggressive language. This happen in NY, and DC.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:03 PM - 17 May, 2012
Quote:

I prefer dirty because the artist meant it that way,
otherwise he wouldn't have released a dirty version at all.

^^This
DJ Reflex 6:50 AM - 20 May, 2012
I do a lot of school dances and weddings. I see it this way... If you play the dirty version and a swear word is heard, someone will be offended. If you are doing a college party and play the clean version - who is going to get pissed that they DIDN'T hear the swears? (Except "Shake That" - Nate Dogg & Eminem! lol )
Taipanic 3:57 PM - 20 May, 2012
I will often DL the Clean single and the Dirty extended. Most places I would play the clean version the short versions will work just as well. Even less of an issue with looping capability.
In the Clubs I will play which version fits in better at that particular moment. Cleaner versions work better earlier in the night when the club is not full and hyped. Also, sometimes the clean versions sound better than the dirty versions, musically. For example, 2 Live Crew - Me So Horny worked better with the clean version than the dirty in a lot of rooms back when it came out.
sixxx 5:20 PM - 20 May, 2012
Quote:
I do a lot of school dances and weddings. I see it this way... If you play the dirty version and a swear word is heard, someone will be offended. If you are doing a college party and play the clean version - who is going to get pissed that they DIDN'T hear the swears? (Except "Shake That" - Nate Dogg & Eminem! lol )

Actually, a lot of people will come up and ask why you're playing the clean versions.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:36 PM - 20 May, 2012
Everytime I view this thread I think about when I play off a friends laptop . He doesn't tag his shit properly and has lot of Funkymixes and wicked mixes in his library. I guess funkymix wanted to be current and ahead of the game and put out Juveniles "Back That Ass Up" before they came out with the clean "Back That THing Up" version so they edited the shit out of the original (reverse edits)

I swear the reverses sound like the start of "dirty needles" in Serato and I cringe every time I play it. Bad part is - it is the ONLY version in his library.
_DJ LS 7:24 PM - 20 May, 2012
I usually download clean and dirty versions just because you want to be able to cater to any crowd your djing to.
DJ LIL M 11:42 PM - 20 May, 2012
i started to download all the versions
Nicky Blunt 1:23 PM - 21 May, 2012
Quote:
ay
clean and dirty. I do radio and parties, clubs, and mix tapes
yep

pretty much
DJ Dac 9:40 PM - 21 May, 2012
both, hell your paying for them and space is cheap...
Good3go85 1:49 PM - 3 November, 2012
Dirty for clubs, Clean for Radio and Mixtapes.
Dj Scarface 7:30 PM - 4 November, 2012
Quote:
I download both dirty and clean... you never know when you're gonna need them.

i say get both cause if you start getting gigs like me. you can be at a little kid (12&under) party or some kind of radio hosted gig in the day time, then be at club that night. plus you never know if the club owner/management is anal bout words like ni**a, A$$, bit*h & so on
djdannyd 7:39 PM - 4 November, 2012
I used to download everything, since I'm subscribed to idjpool. Months later, if not years, I found myself not ever playing any dirty versions at all.

So I got rid of ALL dirty versions with the exceptions of some classics.
jmlbrns45 7:43 PM - 4 November, 2012
i download all versions of a track i can find, including the remixes and other edits. Clean versions for radio stations (including online), high school parties, weddings, and family occasions, dirty versions for clubs and college parties.
djvtyme85 7:52 PM - 4 November, 2012
Yea I think it's best to mirror all your tracks with clean and dirty. I even make my crates up like this so the same way I rock a club I can a mobile event. There only a few exceptions, bc some tracks I just can't find in both formats across 3 record pools.
jmlbrns45 7:54 PM - 4 November, 2012
Quote:
Yea I think it's best to mirror all your tracks with clean and dirty. I even make my crates up like this so the same way I rock a club I can a mobile event. There only a few exceptions, bc some tracks I just can't find in both formats across 3 record pools.

yea, especially the remix versions of certain tracks
djvtyme85 11:31 PM - 5 November, 2012
/\ yea i wish i had the access to tracks like radio djs. i guess i could edit them myself but smh why lol
jmlbrns45 11:36 PM - 5 November, 2012
as a radio dj, i get most of the tracks from mixshowtools, a dj pool for clean edits/intros for us, which makes it easier for me to mix the hip hop that's current
jmlbrns45 11:36 PM - 5 November, 2012
but it also gives me dirty versions of most of them
jmlbrns45 11:37 PM - 5 November, 2012
editing the tracks take a lot of time and you need certain editing software to work
ced_so_thoed 11:48 PM - 5 November, 2012
ay
Some songs will still have cussing in them like that Waka Flocka - get low. I think Nikki Minaj gets away with bitch in there. And I think Young Joc - Molly says bitches too.
yep
jmlbrns45 12:16 AM - 6 November, 2012
Quote:
ay
Some songs will still have cussing in them like that Waka Flocka - get low. I think Nikki Minaj gets away with bitch in there. And I think Young Joc - Molly says bitches too.
yep

some songs are not good edited
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:52 AM - 6 November, 2012
Quote:
/\ yea i wish i had the access to tracks like radio djs. i guess i could edit them myself but smh why lol

Find a good pool that offers those tracks if you can't get into mixshow tools.

I know latenightrecordpool.com offers mixshow edits (clean and dirty) and even more variations (Check out new Big Sean - Guap - here latenightrecordpool.com to see what I mean - ) and I know www.idjpool.com has Super Clean radio edits on some tracks too (Stupid Hoe - Nicki Minaj comes to mind - every other word is instrumentaled out - LOL).

They cost a little more than other pools but you'll save tons of time over doing all those edits yourself.
jmlbrns45 12:54 AM - 6 November, 2012
franchise record pool is good too for clean edits
Papa Midnight 1:13 AM - 6 November, 2012
Quote:
franchise record pool is good too for clean edits

I don't like their billing. Return as a member, pay for any months you weren't a member. Eh...
slimmjimm 1:23 AM - 6 November, 2012
Quote:
I don't like their billing. Return as a member, pay for any months you weren't a member. Eh...

Seriously? I'd hate to see what my bill would be.

I usually DL both, good to be versatile, unless I know that I absolutely won't play it anywhere but a club.
jmlbrns45 4:09 AM - 6 November, 2012
only thing they don't have on that pool is bmore club that's clean
MISTER RIPPER 6:51 AM - 8 November, 2012
Quote:

inbox me when u find sum clean b-more somewhere
jmlbrns45 7:06 AM - 8 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

inbox me when u find sum clean b-more somewhere

i found a site that might help for those looking for classic bmore club that's clean
jmlbrns45 7:06 AM - 8 November, 2012
djnak 8:19 AM - 8 November, 2012
now that I play only video gigs (open format clubs/bars/private parties/the odd wedding) I need a ton of video content and quality video takes up a ton of space...So they are the clean edits only, unless it's a must have dirty version then I will keep both. Before starting to spin video it was dirty/clean/aca/instr/ext of everytrack I could get all versions for lol
djransom 3:21 PM - 8 November, 2012
I do both. I do radio plus some clean records just sound better than the dirty records. Perfect example would be the Whisper Song remix.
Papa Midnight 6:32 PM - 8 November, 2012
Quote:
I do radio plus some clean records just sound better than the dirty records.

"Err'body in the club gettin' Tipsy!"
Dj Scarface 9:39 PM - 8 November, 2012
if you low harddrive space & you must trash stuff..... just keep the clean & Inst can never be wrong with clean versions unless you are paid to play dirty versions
djvtyme85 1:48 AM - 9 November, 2012
if im low on HD space time to up it lol sike this doesnt apply if you have a massive library so far my digital library is pretty low considering at only 550gb
jmlbrns45 1:52 AM - 9 November, 2012
mine is at 700GB
djpiojo 6:13 AM - 9 November, 2012
im a radio dj so i use only clean version
SUBSTANCE 9:35 PM - 3 December, 2012
DUTTY
MusicMeister 9:53 PM - 3 December, 2012
The more I think about it, there isn't reason to have the 'dirty' version of a song with very few exceptions. Those tracks should be pretty obvious...They'd be tracks that have a greater impact when they're dirty.

All in all, I'm cleaning up my library and with very few exceptions I'm axing the dirty versions across the board. I'll keep clean, instrumental and a clean a capella. Remixes as long as they're decent... but I need to clean out that BS stuff that I've had dumped on me in the past...

The problem with video is you have 2 things to worry about - just because the audio is clean doesn't mean the video will pass muster at a school event... I'm REALLY building out my video and this is one area I'm about neck deep in right now...
djnak 10:00 PM - 3 December, 2012
Quote:

The problem with video is you have 2 things to worry about - just because the audio is clean doesn't mean the video will pass muster at a school event... .

+11111
SUBSTANCE 10:37 PM - 4 December, 2012
Quote:
The more I think about it, there isn't reason to have the 'dirty' version of a song with very few exceptions.

I would argue that the DIRTY version is the way the song is intended to be.
All the people I play to are 18+, getting drunk & high & trying to get laid. Swear words in the songs I play isn't what's corrupting them!

I've developed enough of a reputation that people let me do my thing. Especially clubs but even radio stations let me 'swear' as it were. My own national radio show slogan is literally "songs with swear words" - taken from one of my tweets by the radio station.

Just saying that playing only DIRTY versions can be done.
I play my nephews school discos twice a year - that's enough clean versions for me!
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 10:53 PM - 4 December, 2012
Quote:
I would argue that the DIRTY version is the way the song is intended to be.

+1 (most of the time?)

I spun a mobile a few weeks ago, one of the younger dudes wanted to hear a Rap song or 2 early (within 1/2 hr of starting) - only a handful of people were there including what may have been his grandparents.

I played a dirty version out of habit (Juicy J - Bandz) and I noticed a frown on the "grandmas" face at some of the lyrics - and quickly mixed out into Representin' - Luda (clean- lol) and kept it moving....

Normally at a club, I have no problem playing dirty versions all night, but at that event - it was something about grandmas face at that moment. I think I played clean versions most of the night.
djvtyme85 4:59 AM - 5 December, 2012
In any public event outside of a club I go clean. Just because whether parents are cool with it or not kids could be around. But that's my personal opinion.
jmlbrns45 5:20 AM - 5 December, 2012
i spin for an online radio station and the owner's policy is that the music must be clean
Jairen 9:16 AM - 5 December, 2012
Anyone who spins major market radio or plans on doing so should have clean versions on hand.

I also keep it clean at corporate and family events. That's where the clean's come in handy. If they specify clean versions when they hire me, then I have no problem doing so. That's business.

I'm not gonna argue about how the song was meant to be heard a certain way with specific instructions to keep it clean which is common with corporate/family events.
DJ Remy USA 2:33 PM - 5 December, 2012
I play mostly clean even inside of clubs unless its song where playing the clean version is stupid.

Good example of a song I always play clean is Pass the Courvosier.
Another example is the Trey Songz - 2 reasons

I prefer clean it makes playing any kind of gig easier. As matter my NYE gig is all adults 21 plus and the promoter specifically requested no cursing.
djvtyme85 12:48 AM - 6 December, 2012
Quote:
I play mostly clean even inside of clubs unless its song where playing the clean version is stupid.

I prefer clean it makes playing any kind of gig easier. As matter my NYE gig is all adults 21 plus and the promoter specifically requested no cursing.

Where your spinning that's norm, they try to keep that hipster/upscale vibe. But either way as far as the topic. Think your clean library your mirror your dirty library. That's more time but that just means I'm always prepped
DJ Remy USA 8:16 PM - 8 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Where your spinning that's norm, they try to keep that hipster/upscale vibe. But either way as far as the topic. Think your clean library your mirror your dirty library. That's more time but that just means I'm always prepped

thats true I but I just dont play certain kinds of track cause they ignant and so I just dont play them gigs so I dont really have that worry where I have to play a dirty track or the party wont pop.